Photo

Stephen A. Smith & Skip Bayless On Lakers Disgrace Against Clippers

SAS Bayless

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,201 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 08, 2014 - 09:56 PM

by vetoing the Chris Paul trade David Stern ensured that the only team like the Heat in the new CBA would be the Heat. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#22 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,050 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted March 08, 2014 - 09:57 PM

Jim is a babe in the woods and he is hovering over Mitch far too much thinking that's how you own a team.

I know if I say the sky is blue you will say its red.

I am not a Cowboys fan at all but from the constant radio talks it always seems analysts and hosts point out to when Jones tried to get more credit for the Cowboys success over Jimmie Johnson, which eventually led to many events and basically having Jones who even though is a great business mind has no where near enough football mentality to lead a team back to contention, I mean Jones is owner, President, GM and a bunch of other titles. Oddly enough people here in North Texas can't wait for his son to take over, they see him as a more reasonable person and willing to actually hire better minds.

Edited by Ven, March 08, 2014 - 09:57 PM.

• 40,604 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:00 PM

by vetoing the Chris Paul trade David Stern ensured that the only team like the Heat in the new CBA would be the Heat. 

david_stern_01.jpg

LeBron-Laughing.jpg

nba_a_patrts_576.jpg

yo.

#24 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,050 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:03 PM

Yet ratings keep going down, which makes me kind of happy. LBJ can't carry the league by himself.

#25 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,201 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:05 PM

david_stern_01.jpg

LeBron-Laughing.jpg

nba_a_patrts_576.jpg

Yep.... 

2K themselves predicted during that lockout that this would be the team the next season 

33b3c1e18fcc959e188778cb1461a20b.jpg

But Stern messed that up... and messed it up badly cause he'd spent years hyping LeBron... and they'd just lost to the Mavs.  if the Lakers trade goes down there's a very big chance that LeBron never wins a ring, Kobe gets 7 and then the league has to stop acting like he doesn't exist.

Stern didn't want this.   

Yet ratings keep going down, which makes me kind of happy. LBJ can't carry the league by himself.

He's not a polarizing figure.  All that hype was if he'd stayed acting like the bad guy and the fire was put out when the Mavs beat them and then eviscerated their team in the off-season.  For the next 2 years it would have been Lakers vs Heat.  Didn't happen.  

I'm amazed that the Lakers were able to still put together a team of Nash Kobe Gasol and Dwight AFTER all of that.  Hindsight is 20/20 but it's still pretty darn impressive imo.   But now we are where we are sadly and it's gonna take a rebuild.  We hope we can be contending by 2015 but a lot would have to happen. 

Edited by Majesty, March 08, 2014 - 10:07 PM.

• 40,604 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:09 PM

I mean it's clear as day seeing how hardcore & desperate ESPN for instance is in trying to promote LeBron to the level they used to promote MJ. It's obviously laughable to anyone who gets how absurd it is, but sadly, a huge portion of the public is brainwashed into believing & buying so much of the bull[expletive]. A lot of it though also has to do a lot with many whom are simply uneducated on a lot of factors concerning the history of the game and many of the greats.

yo.

#27 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,201 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:11 PM

I mean it's clear as day seeing how hardcore & desperate ESPN for instance is in trying to promote LeBron to the level they used to promote MJ. It's obviously laughable to anyone who gets how absurd it is, but sadly, a huge portion of the public is brainwashed into believing & buying so much of the bull[expletive]. A lot of it though also has to do a lot with many whom are simply being uneducated on a lot of factors concerning the history of the game and many of the greats.

Yep.. you got those fans showing up directly afterwards.   It'd be a lot better if ESPN didn't keep ignoring that Kobe exists.  

They try to compare LeBron's 61 with Kobe's 81.... they should compare his 61 to Kobe's 62 in 3 quarters against a Mavs team that made it to the finals that year.  But they won't cause then LeBron obviously loses.  

just as LeBron obviously loses if the Lakers get Chris Paul and Dwight Howard(and Beasley as well) according to Ding. 

According to Ding, Jim Buss talked to him about his plans of building and it involved taking that team into the next seasons and keeping them all the way till 2016 when they'd go after Durant.     

It's a shame how all of that was pretty much ruined by the veto.

Imagine.  If Buss's plan works out we're talking from 2012-2016  a potential 3 man lineup of Kobe, Dwight and Chris paul and then in 2016(likely when Kobe says goodbye) the Lakers going after Kevin Durant.   It's too flipping perfect and the only way to derail it was 'basketball reasons'.  it seems like Durant is still in the Lakers plans.. but it isn't the same team he'd have been coming to if not for that [expletive] veto which is why Houston looks like a more likely destination for him if OKC fails these next 2 seasons. 

#28 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:54 PM

If Jim Buss waited one more week, as advised by Mitch, Jeannie and others around him while the newly signed CBA settled in and cooled off, the veto never would have happened.

There is no conspiracy.  It was impatience, inexperience and an unwillingness to listen to those who knew better that marred the Lakers present and future.  The conspiracy junk is stemming from not wanting to face the fact that it was the Lakers new brass who dropped the ball to begin with.  You're addressing the symptom and not the disease.

#29 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,494 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 08, 2014 - 11:02 PM

Jim is a babe in the woods and he is hovering over Mitch far too much thinking that's how you own a team.

I know if I say the sky is blue you will say its red.

i just have zero facts to support this claim

#30 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,494 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 11:05 PM

CBA was aimed at large market teams with ultra success...which by my estimation is the Lakers

Dan Gilbert cried about the move, and even suggested that we would get Dwight an d furthermore, we got rid of Pau and Odom who as a tandem was a superstar equivalent

#31 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,201 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 11:19 PM

Got rid of them both at the perfect time too imo.

#32 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 09, 2014 - 05:32 AM

I'm getting tired of people blaming the vetoed CP3 trade for most of the Lakers' problems today. It's not like the FO couldn't have made other moves at the time. I would've just traded for Scola, Kevin Martin, and Dragic directly.

David Stern was the owner of the team at the time. The only thing he did wrong was not communicate to Dell Demps that he wanted something very specific for CP3.

Edited by Japago, March 09, 2014 - 05:33 AM.

Posted Image

#33 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 06:14 AM

MDA, the Steve Nash trade, Kobe's extension, keeping around Pau for too long, and trading away first rounders in other trades are big mistakes that will haunt the Lakers into the future.

They're not even set up to rebuild that well.

Posted Image

#34 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,494 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:45 AM

I'm getting tired of people blaming the vetoed CP3 trade for most of the Lakers' problems today. It's not like the FO couldn't have made other moves at the time. I would've just traded for Scola, Kevin Martin, and Dragic directly.

David Stern was the owner of the team at the time. The only thing he did wrong was not communicate to Dell Demps that he wanted something very specific for CP3.

Not quite

#35 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:47 AM

i can beat up stephen a smith without breaking a sweat

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#36 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,494 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:47 AM

MDA, the Steve Nash trade, Kobe's extension, keeping around Pau for too long, and trading away first rounders in other trades are big mistakes that will haunt the Lakers into the future.

They're not even set up to rebuild that well.

Huh?
Chunks of money freed up next season. , then Nash off the next then Kobe off the next.

It's just people aren't patient.

#37 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,497 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:51 AM

The NBA doesn't want teams in huge media markets to suceed. Just making sure that is your argument. This is pure conspiracy theory BS. The trade was vetoed because it was a bad trade.

#38 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 07:56 AM

Huh?
Chunks of money freed up next season. , then Nash off the next then Kobe off the next.

It's just people aren't patient.

No draft pick next year and other draft picks they traded away in year's past that might've gotten Lakers some talent going forward. The Lakers have less flexibility than they would have gotten forward because of Kobe's extension.

They're not in a great position to rebuild. They'll get a player or two here or there in FA and be a mediocre team the next few years. If the Lakers draft well this upcoming draft and draft well in 2016 and 2018, then maybe they'll be good going forward.

They also owe ORL a draft pick in 2017.

Posted Image

#39 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,201 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 03:41 PM

If Lakers sandwiched wins at Portland and over OKC around quitting in 2nd q. vs. Clippers, how can someone on First Take call 'em "garbage"?

#40 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,230 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 09, 2014 - 03:43 PM

No this team is still garbage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users