Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,079 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:12 AM

I approve.

People with the "every team has down years" excuse need to wake up. You don't force yourself into mediocrity.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#22 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,848 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:14 AM

I said a while ago that if you want to affect change you hit companies in the pocket book.  I got scoffed at and tons of people around here lashed out like crazy - yet the same holds true.  When the numbers go down, the money goes down.  When the money goes down, change is exacerbated - simple as that.

#23 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 760 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:17 AM

Trust me, if this continues for say , another two years , I  think you'll see a large dip in ticket sails.

Especially if the Clips win a ring in the next couple years.

#24 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,797 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:24 AM

Dunno about a boycott, but if next season is anything like this one, I probably won't watch very many games at all. It's been downright embarrassing all year long. It's just not worth watching a team as [expletive]ty as this one and wasting 2 1/2 hours watching some really awful basketball being played.

#25 fido

fido

• 10,848 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:26 AM

I haven't watched a full game since the day after Thanksgiving.  It's an absolute waste of energy, effort and time right now.

#26 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,797 posts
  • Name:Shamim

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:28 AM

Yeah, I've only watched opening night, the game Kobe came back, and Christmas day. Since then, I haven't even bothered to keep track of who or when we play. I'll browse boxscores and watch highlights (all thirty seconds of them), but there is no way I'm sitting down and watching this team play a full game.

#27 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:30 AM

People might think its a silly idea but this is something the Dodgers went through recently. 

The Dodgers usually are in the top 3 in attendance figures but you started to see that drop off a few years ago with Frank McCourt running the team.  In 2011, attendance drastically fell and the Dodgers were #11 in attendance and it was made known by fans they were boycotting the games until he was removed. 

The following year, the attendance was low once again but once the team was sold, the Dodgers ended the season #5 in attendance and last season were #1 in the league. 

Boycotting is tough because not every fan will be on board, but fan bases can do just enough to affect them financially (regardless of any TV deal or sponsorships). 

It's important to remember though that Jim Buss is not going anywhere so leave that out of the equation.  Fans are pissed right now and rightfully so.  Regardless if you defend D'Antoni or you want him out, everyone knows that stuff like last night is completely unacceptable for this franchise.

#28 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,339 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:33 AM

Nothing would matter, to be honest. Jim Buss is still raking it in - People will always watch/go to Lakers games.

#29 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,731 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:34 AM

Isn't the TW Lakers channel numbers down 30% from last year? This alone should be enough.

2div

#30 fido

fido

• 10,848 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:35 AM

38% actually.  To save money here at my home, we've ditched the channel until next season.

If you get a chance, listen to local ESPN radio here in the Southern California area.  There are actual promo spots that run throughout the day effectively begging Laker fans not to give up or go away.  It's downright hilarious and pitiful all in one ugly ball.

#31 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,111 posts
  • Name:Juan

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:38 AM

I work hard to buy these tickets. Sure I'm just one fan. But I'm sure many fans feel the same way,

#32 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,126 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:53 AM

I just want the Lakers to do SOMETHING!!  Apparently the Lakers are staying the course of sticking with MDA for next year. Their sell is "Kobe is coming back" and "crap room and free agency".     All of those are nice but it doesn't matter if MDA is the coach. He is one of the worst coach I have ever seen.  His philosophy is worst than dog poop.   Doesn't matter if we have hall of famers on the roster, his method sucks.   No way a team can win championships by out scoring people and play ZERO defense.  Stop giving MDA excuses and start doing something.  The Lakers are not giving the fans any hope. They BETTER get rid of MDA the second that exit interview is done.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#33 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,731 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:54 AM

38% actually.  To save money here at my home, we've ditched the channel until next season.

If you get a chance, listen to local ESPN radio here in the Southern California area.  There are actual promo spots that run throughout the day effectively begging Laker fans not to give up or go away.  It's downright hilarious and pitiful all in one ugly ball.

TWC eating some mad costs right now

2div

#34 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,767 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:00 AM

Contracts always have an out for both parties.

#35 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,851 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:06 AM

Uhm, lemme see......How about [expletive]ing Incompetence?

Bro, I notice you always talk big around here like you're sitting from some different vantage point than the rest of us, somehow to you D'antoni ain't that bad and Jimmy is who we need to move this organization forward.

Why don't you stop being condescending and explain what it is you see that me or any other person who thinks like me doesn't?

Two paragraphs or less please.

Who WE need?

You want simplicity.

Magic, Bird, Isaiah, Jordan, Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe , Duncan,Wade, LeBron

That's all u need to know.
Get a guy like that first. Then u can tell how good of an owner Jim is

Moreso. What goes up must come down.

#36 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 760 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:29 AM

Who WE need?

You want simplicity.

Magic, Bird, Isaiah, Jordan, Hakeem, Shaq, Kobe , Duncan,Wade, LeBron

That's all u need to know.
Get a guy like that first. Then u can tell how good of an owner Jim is

Moreso. What goes up must come down.

Which one of those guys will wanna play for Jim Buss?

Who will wanna play for D'antoni and his injury prone system?

Even IF  for a sec I assume this D'antoni is trash , and "Jim needs to go" stuff is overblown like you think, the way the media  narrative surrounding us is right now , no Top Free Agent in his right mind would choose the Lakers over the many other MORE functioning Franchises in the League today, because frankly the word is out on the Organization , Jim makes moves on a whim , Mitch is his little dutch boy  and thereis a messy struggle for control going on right now behind the scenes that a few of us ( maybe more) are privy to.

Let's just be real,the [expletive]ing Bobcats look more stable than us right now, people would probably rather go Team up with Boogie in SAC  than play for the Lakers, and that's because there's incompetence going on all across the board, from Kobe, Mitch , Jim right on down the list.

It's not just about , "hey , D'antoni iths ahh terrable coach, leths fire him durf durf" the entire Team is radiating  this stench of incompetence and IT STARTS AND ENDS with the D'antoni hire which was a JIMMY call.

Even if the loss last night is not ALL his fault it sends the wrong messages to what the Lakers are about from the  prospects, the League , Free Agents, pending Coaches etc.

That [expletive] will haunt us just as much as the Chris Paul vito, especially since we had the chance to build around Dwight.

Edited by RickyStarFox, March 07, 2014 - 11:46 AM.

#37 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,552 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:54 AM

I approve.

People with the "every team has down years" excuse need to wake up. You don't force yourself into mediocrity.

I'm awake. It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Some teams suck, that's how sports work. You can't win every year. I'm not trying to defend our front office or coaching, they've done a miserable job obviously. What I'm saying is I'm not going to stop being a fan because of it.

Just suck it up, weather the storm that's probably going to last a few years and hopefully they'll turn this thing around.

Edited by Jay Cee, March 07, 2014 - 11:56 AM.

#38 KobeBeef24

KobeBeef24

O' Canada!

• 1,247 posts
  • Fan Since:2007
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, MWP, Swaggy P, LO, Pau

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:01 PM

I don't know if boycotting will do anything. In Toronto, hockey is life and the team for the past decade has been disastrous like the Lakers have been for the past 2 years, yet people still fill up the arena and watch a subpar product. Boycotts led to nothing. What am I getting at? If the market is large like it is for hockey in Toronto and the Lakers in LA, people will still support the team regardless how bad they're doing. That rich guy who stops going to games and sells his tickets? Some other person will buy those ticket for below face value. If anything, these dropping ticket prices help out the die hards who can't afford to watch a game live. The Lakers will always be relevant no matter how bad they are.  

Edited by KobeBeef24, March 07, 2014 - 12:03 PM.

#39 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,079 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:31 PM

I'm awake. It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Some teams suck, that's how sports work. You can't win every year. I'm not trying to defend our front office or coaching, they've done a miserable job obviously. What I'm saying is I'm not going to stop being a fan because of it.

Just suck it up, weather the storm that's probably going to last a few years and hopefully they'll turn this thing around.

No, you still need to wake up.

It's an excuse in the case of franchises who purposely sabotage their chances at winning by hiring wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

wait for it...

mike-dantoni1.jpg

There's ZERO justification for hiring this guy if you're a franchise that's trying to win championships. 

Whoever said anything about winning every year? No one expects that. That's simply needless filler material.

You know who needs to "suck it up"? The front office.

Edited by Windu, March 07, 2014 - 12:31 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#40 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,079 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:33 PM

I wouldn't even take free court-side tickets to watch this abomination.

Pau Gasol is GONE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MDA, fans, boycott

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users