#21 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,918 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:16 AM

It's a longer road back than most think.

There's no Kobe in his prime, Shaq and Phil Jackson coming in to save the day and right the ship quickly.  It took 11 years to rebuild the last time the Lakers fell from the top.  I suspect it will be about as long this time around.

Also, when teams try to recover from building a team around D'Antoni's ineptitude it takes a while to flush the roster and the mentality.  It's been proven three times now, it won't be any different here.

#22 Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:29 AM

Get rid of everybody.

#23 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:45 AM

Clean house. Kobe's locked in to his contract and nothing can be done there, but the Lakers need to approach the next few years with a few long-term goals in mind. They can't rely upon simply signing a superstar via free agency without anything to attract them here in the first place. We need to keep losing, luck our way into a top 3 pick, and begin the rebuild along some young stud from this draft class. 2-3 years from now we can reel in a big FA over the summer and become competitive again.

It's going to be a long and hard process, no easy fixes.

#24 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 791 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Clean house. Kobe's locked in to his contract and nothing can be done there, but the Lakers need to approach the next few years with a few long-term goals in mind. They can't rely upon simply signing a superstar via free agency without anything to attract them here in the first place. We need to keep losing, luck our way into a top 3 pick, and begin the rebuild along some young stud from this draft class. 2-3 years from now we can reel in a big FA over the summer and become competitive again.

Very off Topic , but the "Gomu Gomu"  above your ava wouldn't be a reference to One Piece would it?

That's one of my fav  manga of all time.

Anyway, yea Ive pretty much accepted that we'll be on a 5 year rebuild at least.

Edited by RickyStarFox, March 07, 2014 - 10:49 AM.

#25 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,748 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:52 AM

George Karl.

He has proven that he can build teams based on his players strengths.

He had that surprisingly good run and gun team last year that no-one had much expectations for. He made it to the WCF back in 09 with a considerably slower, half-court based team. 

I'm sure with a ticked off Kobe, a high draft pick, and pretty much an empty slate of a team, Karl would be able to build (and coach) a worthy team.

2div

#26 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,241 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:52 AM

That's been the plan for a while now.

Posted Image

#27 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,706 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:53 AM

I'm pretty confident Kobe will retire if he can't return to form.

There will not be another Jordan and the Wizards thing.

There will not be a Muhammad Ali vs Larry Holmes in 81 thing.

Kobe said it before and he will do what's right. If he can't return to form he will retire.

Edited by Jackson, March 07, 2014 - 10:54 AM.

#28 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,383 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:54 AM

The front office had time to avoid the same thing that happened after magic was gone. And they didn't.

We need to enter into rebuild mode
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#29 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:17 PM

Very off Topic , but the "Gomu Gomu"  above your ava wouldn't be a reference to One Piece would it?

That's one of my fav  manga of all time.

Anyway, yea Ive pretty much accepted that we'll be on a 5 year rebuild at least.

It is. I read a ton of manga and One Piece is one of my favorites :)

#30 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,762 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:23 PM

What is this obsession with George Karl and who cares how ticked off Kobe is.  Won't change the level of production he puts out.  2009 was 5 years ago. 

George Karl.

He has proven that he can build teams based on his players strengths.

He had that surprisingly good run and gun team last year that no-one had much expectations for. He made it to the WCF back in 09 with a considerably slower, half-court based team. 

I'm sure with a ticked off Kobe, a high draft pick, and pretty much an empty slate of a team, Karl would be able to build (and coach) a worthy team.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#31 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 791 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:29 PM

It is. I read a ton of manga and One Piece is one of my favorites :)

Awesome. This next  question will determine if you're my new best friend or not. (not really lol)

Will Boss Jinbe  join the crew?

Just to stay on topic, D'antoni's God Awful system is the reason Nash and Amare are so hurt now on the back end of their career.

Edited by RickyStarFox, March 07, 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#32 androsays

androsays

• 4,748 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:34 PM

What is this obsession with George Karl and who cares how ticked off Kobe is.  Won't change the level of production he puts out.  2009 was 5 years ago. 

Best coach in the market imo.

People keep throwing out Thibs but he's still on contract, and the occasional nut who thinks we have a shot at bringing in Jerry Sloan.

Concerning Kobe, i'm on the (seemingly smaller and smaller) list of people who still think he has more then enough in the tank. I just think it's foolish to doubt the man.

2div

#33 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:37 PM

What is this obsession with George Karl

Not to say Karl is a bad coach (because he's not) but when you've been infected with the MDA virus, any other coach would be appealing right about now.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#34 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,762 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Melo is going to be the best player on the market, doesn't mean you just go after whats the best available at the time.  Plus Karl is old and probably isn't interested in a full rebuild and his philosophy of coaching isn't that much different from MDA's. 

It's not foolish to doubt that a 36 year old man with a sick leg cannot carry a team to a Finals victory.  Guys have created this myth that Kobe been fighting through crazy injuries and come back.  Kobe has never had a career ending type injury or an injury that would alter his style of play at any point in his career.  It's called being realistic.  Kobe has had an amazing run but at some point it all ends for everyone. 

Best coach in the market imo.

People keep throwing out Thibs but he's still on contract, and the occasional nut who thinks we have a shot at bringing in Jerry Sloan.

Concerning Kobe, i'm on the (seemingly smaller and smaller) list of people who still think he has more then enough in the tank. I just think it's foolish to doubt the man.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#35 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,706 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 07, 2014 - 01:02 PM

Melo is going to be the best player on the market, doesn't mean you just go after whats the best available at the time.  Plus Karl is old and probably isn't interested in a full rebuild and his philosophy of coaching isn't that much different from MDA's. 

It's not foolish to doubt that a 36 year old man with a sick leg cannot carry a team to a Finals victory.  Guys have created this myth that Kobe been fighting through crazy injuries and come back.  Kobe has never had a career ending type injury or an injury that would alter his style of play at any point in his career.  It's called being realistic.  Kobe has had an amazing run but at some point it all ends for everyone. 

There's a difference between being doubting, and borderline criticizing and hating.

2011-12 was supposed to be the demise of Kobe Bryant after his "bad" 2010-11 season. You hear the same thing over and over again. Kobe has already proven that he could come back and play from that Achilles injury, and had no trouble scoring. He can average his career stats easily.

#36 androsays

androsays

• 4,748 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 01:35 PM

Melo is going to be the best player on the market, doesn't mean you just go after whats the best available at the time. Plus Karl is old and probably isn't interested in a full rebuild and his philosophy of coaching isn't that much different from MDA's.

It's not foolish to doubt that a 36 year old man with a sick leg cannot carry a team to a Finals victory. Guys have created this myth that Kobe been fighting through crazy injuries and come back. Kobe has never had a career ending type injury or an injury that would alter his style of play at any point in his career. It's called being realistic. Kobe has had an amazing run but at some point it all ends for everyone.

The market for players and coaches cannot be more different. There are fresh players that come out of the draft year after year. There is no draft for coaches. The coaches that exist in the market are all we have. Either that or look towards NCAA coaches, which I doubt the lakers will ever do outside of Coach K.

George Karl has proven that he can coach to his teams strengths. He had a team full of runners last year, and he excelled at scheming a fast paced offense for them. The nuggets unfortunately lost their biggest offensive weapon in Gallo and they fizzled out real quick.

In 09 he had a much slower team with Chauncey, Melo, Nene and Kmart. These guys excelled in halfcourt schemes and made it to the WCF. Unfortunately for them, they were up against the Lakers.

Like I said, I believe he would be the best option. Out of curiosity, who do u want coaching the Lakers?

Again, I still believe in Kobe. 36, coming off his biggest injury yet, yet I can't help but be in this dudes corner. Call it what u want.

2div

#37 clutch15

clutch15

Rookie

• 51 posts
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted March 07, 2014 - 01:52 PM

Awesome. This next  question will determine if you're my new best friend or not. (not really lol)

Will Boss Jinbe  join the crew?

Just to stay on topic, D'antoni's God Awful system is the reason Nash and Amare are so hurt now on the back end of their career.

No, Jimbie needs to defend fishman island as Luffy took it from big Momma. The samuri and his kid might though

#38 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 791 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 02:15 PM

No, Jimbie needs to defend fishman island as Luffy took it from big Momma. The samuri and his kid might though

Momo and Kinemon ? Nah they're clearly off the ship once the crew hits Wano.

Jinbe can't even stay on FI  full time, he's an Enemy of the World Gov  and Fishman Island is heavily enamored with being politically correct so they can join the World Council.

#39 clutch15

clutch15

Rookie

• 51 posts
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted March 07, 2014 - 02:26 PM

yes becuase the world government has been shown to be so active in governing all the islands. :)

#40 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 791 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 02:29 PM

yes becuase the world government has been shown to be so active in governing all the islands. :)

I'm just going by what the Author writes...*shrugs*

Whether The Marines are truly preventing Jinbe from staying on FI full time is left to be seen, but Oda has used it specifically  as an excuse for why he wont stay there.

Why try to ignore that?

Edited by RickyStarFox, March 07, 2014 - 03:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users