Photo

James Worthy rips Lakers again, says they have "given up" (Pg. 5); reacts to Lakers 48-point disgraceful loss to Clippers

James Worthy criticism effort loss Clippers

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,766 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:03 AM

Phil had talent on every team he ever coached.  Even when they lost, they still looked like the best team on paper. Phil NEVER had to coach without at LEAST 2 top 5 players on the court for him...NEVER.

Your comparison fails on face value.  I don't mean to be rude but you can't expect that to be a compelling argument.  It's like comparing Kentucky basketball to Louisiana Lafayette...not even close.

Who was the other top 5 player the Lakers had in '06 & '07?  Smush?  Kwame?  Luke???

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#42 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,951 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted March 07, 2014 - 06:36 AM

I'm hoping the whole team is motivated then, because last night's game was the epitome of pure misery. It's bad to lose by 25+ and we were down that much at half. Zero perimeter defense. We gave up 12 threes on 46%. Out rebounded 64 to 33! 22 turnovers. And on top of that all, stats don't even tell the whole story. No game plan. Wacky utilization of the roster all season. Just atrocious.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#43 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,096 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:29 AM

Too many injuries

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#44 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,553 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Who was the other top 5 player the Lakers had in '06 & '07? Smush? Kwame? Luke???

Hoe far did we go in 06 and 07?

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#45 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,852 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:48 AM

Clippers makes and misses were all on open shots ..

Defensive plan : Hope they miss ..

This game is an extension of what we saw all year long, precisely since december. People who claim that the team lacks effort, is because players don't see how the strategy is working as opposed to what we believed early in the season ..

Blame shouldn't be placed harshly on anyone specifically, we're dealing with players that were irrelevant before this season to their respective teams, except for couple of players.. But does this exclude the coach from our issues? no. But Mike haven't had the luxury of a full roster..

Let the season play out , and work for the team's best interest for the long run.. I don't care if Kobe will be a part of the plan or not, we shouldn't be forced to be in "win now" mode anymore .. 

MDA shouldn't stay next season , work on the draft pick , see what you can get from FA for this year and potential FA's in the upcoming years and go from there ..

On a diff note, Its funny seeing people here talk about MDA as if they didn't know his weaknesses in general before he got here ..

Thats his way of coaching, blame the FO for hiring him, not like they didn't know his coaching strategy but oh well ..

#46 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted March 07, 2014 - 08:02 AM

At the end of the day, no matter how you slice it or try and be the 'understanding' type, losing by 50 is inexcusable.

#47 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,230 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted March 07, 2014 - 08:29 AM

I would have used a different word than Disgusting even if it got me fired, that game was utter [expletive]ing [expletive].

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#48 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,298 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:11 AM

I'm not worked up over one loss.

The guy is a defective, I've said it from day one.  I don't know how much history has to be exposed, recited or displayed for the point to get across.

I've said what I needed to say, Laker legends agree with me, several analysts agree with me, stats and history are on the same side.  I don't need to keep explaining myself in this nonsensical cyclical explanation of why D'Antoni is absolute trash.

#49 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 300 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:21 AM

This blowout is a microcosim of this season. 

I don't want to appear to be an MDA Defender, but no coach, not Phill not Red, not Pat Riley nor Popovitch could coach this team to win a game. 

The problem begins and ends with the Front Office, Mitch Kupcake for starters. 

Our team is descimated and the Front Office allowed this happen.  Pau and Artest could have been traded three years ago, when they were at their high water mark and had trade value.  Kobe should not have been re-signed.  We would have built around Dwight Howard and his defensive blocks. 

But oh-no, hire a bunch of "veterns" who in reality are are injured and aging.  Don't trade anyone, and run the team into the ground.  The gas tank is now officially empty.  None of the players you saw last night will be on the 2014-5 Laker squad.  You know, I know it, and so do the players.  They're just playing for stats for their next team.  And who should blame them?  If the Front Office doesn't care, why should the players?  Pao, for all his perceived faults, is having a great season, and is the only exception.  The rest of the squad wouldn't start for a single NBA team. 

The Clippers, by contrast, took a doormat team, and hired a big guy (Griffin) and built around an aircraft carrier then added a supreme point guard and a first rate supporting cast of cheap role players.  Neal O'Shea did a great job managing the Clippers before he left, and gets an A+. 

Mitch Kupcake, on the other hand, gets a "F."  And don't say this is on Jim Buss, because the missed opportunities (Pao and Artest) occurred before Jerry passed.  Somebody has to take responsibility, and it ain't D'Antoni. 

#50 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:33 AM

:laughing:

#51 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,817 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:42 AM

You, my friend, have hit the nail on the head.  That's why this isn't working.  Doesn't mean this team doesn't have plans to acquire players of that caliber or with those skillsets.

Makes you wonder why they would HIRE MDA if they didn't plan on putting TALENT that fits his system around him, right?  

I think they do plan on doing that...or they did.  That's why getting upset before they have had a chance to get started on building this team for the future the way that suits the coach is asinine.

I'm preaching patience because until they make the moves around MDA's system, this is all just filler.  It's just a setup for Mitch to pull strings and pull a rabbit out of his hat.  None of it matters.  ESPECIALLY with the injuries we have surrounding this team.

Where were you last season? Are you gonna tell me Dwight was too injured for MDA and his precious system? Kobe had to play 38 minutes plus to keep that team at an 8th seed. MDA didn't even have the willpower to sit Kobe a few minutes.

I don't care for his stupid 'system'. System or not, that doesn't excuse losing by 48. Of course you didn't respond once to what I said about the teams hustle and lack of effort - which has definitely been there all season. You're telling me that's not MDA's fault? Is it not MDA's fault cause he doesn't have a team of all stars playing for him? So basically, if MDA doesn't have a lineup that's tailor made to his precious system, his team doesn't have to try at all and it's okay for the Los Angeles Lakers to get blown out by the Clippers by 48 points? 

His system will go NO WHERE no matter who's playing for him. There is absolutely no plausible defense being played out there. At the least, a coach should be able to get to his team and hope they can hustle and get back on D. Why can't he do that? If MDA was so knowledgeable about the game, why can't he change his system up to match what he's got playing for him?

#52 Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Increase those 30 minute defensive practices to 35, STAT.

#53 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 910 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:51 AM

They don't practice Defense at all, that's all fluff by D'antoni to make it known that he lets Rambis ramble on for at least 30 minutes about hustling on Defense.

#54 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,446 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted March 07, 2014 - 10:59 AM

Why does people deflect MDA fault?
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#55 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 910 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Why does people deflect MDA fault?

I have no clue, I'm starting to think some of these guys are secretly Dan. :laughing:

Oh , and the injuries aren't his fault either.

#56 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,113 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:11 AM

MDA has been a loser his entire career but it's never his fault.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#57 WZRD

WZRD

The Underachiever

• 1,760 posts
  • Fan Since:mid 90's
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:43 AM

This is so saddening 

zombie

#58 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:14 PM

It's not just this loss.  Even less talent does not get destroyed like this.  This "less talented" team just beat Portland in Portland, something the most talented Laker teams couldn't pull off.  That excuse also doesn't fly.  It's inconsistency from a coach that has no mind on how to coach.  His lineup changes alone, and inability to figure out the most basic of player rotations, when healthy, should show you enough.  I understand your "talent" argument, bnut history has shown that even less talented teams still compete they still play hard on BOTH ends.  This team plays mediocre on one end and doesn't show up on the other.  The "talent" argument doesn't fly as well.

Face it, the dude, healthy team or not, cannot coach an NBA level team.  I don't know what it's going to take for people to see this.  History keeps rearing its head but so many keep burying their head in the sand.

You're making an argument for something that can't be argued for.

For the record, I didn't have as much problem with Mike Brown as most did.  I think his firing was far too early.  And D'Antoni is not an offensive "guru".  His best years all stemmed from an unbelievable Steve Nash in his prime.  When your team spends zero energy playing defense, rebounding or getting back on defense, it's not tough to give the rest to offense.  He has no system or plays that warrant anyone saying he is an offensive minded coach.  He lets his teams ignore one end of the floor leaving them available to give 100% on the other, that's not a system, that's just osmosis.  He can't coach defense, so he allows his team to focus on one end, the easier end, and just score.

I agree

Even with the Suns...where he had the BEST Talent......he could no more than pile up regular season victories. Every year he would get bounced by a team that would refuse to run up and down the court. His Points per game in the Playoffs each year in Phx would drop by 10. SA and even a LAKER Team that featured KWAME Brown, Smush Parker, Luke Walton, and other lesser names...took him to 7 games by "D"ing him up and walking it up. He gets out Coached in every big game. I would not let him near my Draft Pick(s) or FAs

The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#59 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,518 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted March 07, 2014 - 01:36 PM

LAL had a good 1st quarter & then it's like someone pulled the plug on them. Clippers go on a 12-0 run & MDA stands pat.
I hate to say this but i'm glad I fell asleep before half time.

2hf753r.jpg

#60 Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Guest_Chaos in Sanctuary_*

Posted March 07, 2014 - 01:39 PM

Mr. Worthy is beating a dead horse to the ground.

They should talk about something else, but no, Frizz McGee won't allow that to happen since he's riding TWC SportsNet & their theme music's red rocket. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: James, Worthy, criticism, effort, loss, Clippers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users