Photo

James Worthy rips Lakers again, says they have "given up" (Pg. 5); reacts to Lakers 48-point disgraceful loss to Clippers

James Worthy criticism effort loss Clippers

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

• 40,431 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 11:56 PM

Edited by    , March 15, 2014 - 12:29 AM.

yo.

#2 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,299 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 06, 2014 - 11:57 PM

POPULAR

Injuries or not, this game alone should get D'Antoni fired and piss off everyone, apologists included.

I am absolutely disgusted, embarrassed and angry.

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 06, 2014 - 11:58 PM

Injuries or not, this game alone should get D'Antoni fired and piss off everyone, apologists included.

I am absolutely disgusted.

Not his fault bruh.  It's everyone's fault except D'Antoni.  He's a good coach, just give him time.

#4 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:02 AM

Not his fault bruh.  It's everyone's fault except D'Antoni.  He's a good coach, just give him time.

I'm waiting to hear one person ask for Rambis (as the defensive coach) to get canned.

Wasn't he one of the guys doing this same commentary last year about the defense?  And now he's getting shredded as the defensive coach?

LOL...

#5 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:06 AM

I'm waiting to hear one person ask for Rambis (as the defensive coach) to get canned.

Wasn't he one of the guys doing this same commentary last year about the defense?  And now he's getting shredded as the defensive coach?

LOL...

As I told Majesty, Rambis doesn't have as big of a role as people think.  "Defensive coach" is simply a title for him and fact is with MDA's offensive system, Rambis could not implement the defensive system that he implemented in years past.  

There's more behind the story of why he got hired then what has been reported.  I'll just leave it at that. 

#6 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:10 AM

Nobody is saying that.  I'm pretty sure I speak for a lot of people when I say this complaining about MDA is just stupid when you look at what he's got to work with.  This team is shredded by injuries and you expect them to win?  We ran into a team that is good, was hot and we didn't match their energy.  We don't have a go-to guy on offense.  We don't have a defensive anchor.  Our best post defender (Hill) is out.  Pau has a 2" vertical and gets bullied by Barnes.

I won't shed a tear if they fire MDA.

What I'm saying is it won't matter who is the coach.  You can't win without talent in the NBA...period.

You can cry about the coaching all you want but it will be nothing but noise until the real issues are fixed.

And the Lakers will still be paying Mike Brown, MDA and a new coach because you are too impatient and unrealistic about a situation that has no quick fix.

You are wasting your time trying to explain something that has NO explanation.  MDA didn't cause the injuries.  Kobe's playing time didn't cause him to break his leg.  Hill's injuries are not because of the coaching.  

I'm not defending MDA.  I'm just tired of people using the coach as an excuse for their frustration over a frustrating season.

You claiming that I'm defending MDA does not answer one single question or solve any problem we currently have.  Nor will firing MDA now.

#7 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:11 AM

^^^ 

That actually wasn't directed at you, but if you think it was then okay. 

:laughing:

#8 fido

fido

• 11,299 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:13 AM

The sooner you show the public and the players that you mean business and the better.  If you let him stay any young player you do keep will continue to garner terrible habits under him.  The point of getting rid of him is a show of faith to your damn fans that stand by you.  Show us that you don't stand for this crap, no matter the health of the players.  Holding onto him does nothing but rub salt in the wound and further damage any good you may be able to dredge out of this muck.

FIRE HIM NOW!

#9 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:14 AM

As I told Majesty, Rambis doesn't have as big of a role as people think.  "Defensive coach" is simply a title for him and fact is with MDA's offensive system, Rambis could not implement the defensive system that he implemented in years past.  

There's more behind the story of why he got hired then what has been reported.  I'll just leave it at that. 

If you know something, say it.  I can keep it to myself.  Until then, I can't help but see that as an apology for a guy who has a horrible coaching record thus far.

And we aren't going to talk about his time as an assistant for Phil because Kobe's already said that they didn't practice defense either.

I'm still confused at how MDA CAUSES teams to be bad defensively because he doesn't coach defense yet Phil never got blamed for his team's blowout losses?  Or why Phil is seen as a better defensive coach when never practiced defense either?

I'm using Phil as an example as he seems to be the standard for Lakers coaches and what everyone wishes we had, though he has stated repeatedly that he DOESN'T want the job.

#10 fido

fido

• 11,299 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:19 AM

Because the end result with Phil was winning, for the most part.

The end result with D'Antoni, as history showed the Lakers and continues to show now, is damage to a franchise and losing.  That's why Phil didn't get read the riot act by people.  The small dips in the road all proved to be insignificant because when it came down to it, the guy knows how to win.

There should be no confusion when history has shown what D'Antoni does to teams he "coaches".  Why the Lakers thought this moronic leopard would magically change his stripes when he got to L.A> is still beyond me.  The guy does this EVERYWHERE he goes!

#11 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:23 AM

^^^ 

That actually wasn't directed at you, but if you think it was then okay. 

:laughing:

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that was ok.  I don't defend MDA.  I defend what I believe to be right or wrong.  I have no problem with you claiming MDA is a poor defensive coach.  I have no problem with you not liking the offensive system.  All of those things are either fact or subjective.  You blaming MDA for this loss with this team devoid of stars or elite talent?  Yeah, that's not gonna fly.

All you guys can say is "it's MDA's fault".  I say "it's injuries to our best players".  Mine is factual.  Yours has no facts.  Yet you continue to argue the same points and stoop to "MDA apologist" titles when you can't back your claims up.

Brown tried to please too many people.  I didn't like the hire from the start but I was more than willing to give him a chance.  He was a defensive guy who has a track record of building good defensive teams out of role players like the Spurs and Pop.  MDA is an offensive genius.  I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun.  That's the only way to coach.

What's funny is the Front Office has Trolled most LA Lakers fans and they don't even know it!  They hired and defensive guru and you guys hated him.  They hired an offensive guru and you guys hate him.

They have proven that you have no clue what you're talking about.  The next coach will be average at best and hopefully they tell  everyone to shut up and deal with it.  You've had your chance.  You couldn't be satisfied.  Now they are going to do what they should have done all along and hire the person THEY like...that would be PRICELESS!  LOL.

#12 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:27 AM

Because the end result with Phil was winning, for the most part.

The end result with D'Antoni, as history showed the Lakers and continues to show now, is damage to a franchise and losing.  That's why Phil didn't get read the riot act by people.  The small dips in the road all proved to be insignificant because when it came down to it, the guy knows how to win.

There should be no confusion when history has shown what D'Antoni does to teams he "coaches".  Why the Lakers thought this moronic leopard would magically change his stripes when he got to L.A> is still beyond me.  The guy does this EVERYWHERE he goes!

Phil had talent on every team he ever coached.  Even when they lost, they still looked like the best team on paper. Phil NEVER had to coach without at LEAST 2 top 5 players on the court for him...NEVER.

Your comparison fails on face value.  I don't mean to be rude but you can't expect that to be a compelling argument.  It's like comparing Kentucky basketball to Louisiana Lafayette...not even close.

#13 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

I remember GCMD. One of his defenses of MDA was because he coached that one Knicks team to .500.

Edited by Japago, March 07, 2014 - 12:27 AM.

Posted Image

#14 fido

fido

• 11,299 posts

It's not just this loss.  Even less talent does not get destroyed like this.  This "less talented" team just beat Portland in Portland, something the most talented Laker teams couldn't pull off.  That excuse also doesn't fly.  It's inconsistency from a coach that has no mind on how to coach.  His lineup changes alone, and inability to figure out the most basic of player rotations, when healthy, should show you enough.  I understand your "talent" argument, bnut history has shown that even less talented teams still compete they still play hard on BOTH ends.  This team plays mediocre on one end and doesn't show up on the other.  The "talent" argument doesn't fly as well.

Face it, the dude, healthy team or not, cannot coach an NBA level team.  I don't know what it's going to take for people to see this.  History keeps rearing its head but so many keep burying their head in the sand.

You're making an argument for something that can't be argued for.

For the record, I didn't have as much problem with Mike Brown as most did.  I think his firing was far too early.  And D'Antoni is not an offensive "guru".  His best years all stemmed from an unbelievable Steve Nash in his prime.  When your team spends zero energy playing defense, rebounding or getting back on defense, it's not tough to give the rest to offense.  He has no system or plays that warrant anyone saying he is an offensive minded coach.  He lets his teams ignore one end of the floor leaving them available to give 100% on the other, that's not a system, that's just osmosis.  He can't coach defense, so he allows his team to focus on one end, the easier end, and just score.

#15 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 925 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:28 AM

Friggin A, Big Bame , Friggin A.

#16 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:38 AM

The sooner you show the public and the players that you mean business and the better.  If you let him stay any young player you do keep will continue to garner terrible habits under him.  The point of getting rid of him is a show of faith to your damn fans that stand by you.  Show us that you don't stand for this crap, no matter the health of the players.  Holding onto him does nothing but rub salt in the wound and further damage any good you may be able to dredge out of this muck.

FIRE HIM NOW!

Stand for what?  Kobe and Nash getting injured?

LOL

They "showed" what they stood for when they gave Kobe a 50M extension BEFORE he returned from his first major injury in his career...attendance was down and they rushed Kobe back to get the fan's attention back.  That's all on the front office.

If they want to "show" something, they can do what?  WASTE more MONEY?  Why?  Because your feelings got hurt by a loss to an ELITE Western Conference contender?

LOL...

I have NEVER thought I'd say this about you fido...that was a VERY "Chicken Little"-esque statement.  The sky is not suddenly falling because we lost by 48...we are bottom 5 in the NBA because we don't have 40M in salary out there on the court.  Take out the best 2 players on most any team in the NBA and that team will not make the playoffs.  Take out the starting PG, starting SG, backup PG, starting PF (Hill), backup SF and best bench scorer (Young) and that team is in the bottom 5.

It's just that simple.  It could have happened to any team.  And it does.  It's just our "turn".

Stop looking for a scapegoat.  It is what it is.  It's not the first time...nor will it be the last.

• 40,431 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:42 AM

^ I like your Mitch sig by the way, but question is, when?

yo.

#18 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:43 AM

I remember GCMD. One of his defenses of MDA was because he coached that one Knicks team to .500.

Yeah...no.  I didn't defend MDA.   I said that Knicks team was playing well together and was one of the hottest teams in the NBA.  They were building something nice with good young players playing the way MDA likes.  If they had given that a year or 2, they'd have resembled some of MDA's PHO teams.  I also said that Melo going to NY was MDA's death knoll.  Melo doesn't fit the system and is a ball-stopper supreme.  That's why those teams looked so bad.

That's why Woodson is about to get fired now.  If Melo is your best player, you better have ELITE defendersand rebounders surrounding him because he's going to slow your offense to a crawl.

Your statement is inaccurate and unrelated to anything we are discussing here.  Peace.

#19 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,803 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:43 AM

^ I like your Mitch sig by the way, but question is, when?

Ask Kobe...he's the guy that claims payback is a "blank".

#20 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 925 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted March 07, 2014 - 12:45 AM

You and IQ , I respect both your loyalty to this idea that D'antoni is a good Coach, but...

Rebounds

Points in the Paint

Defensive schemes

He cares nothing for these things, are you telling me there is nothing wrong with that?

Edited by RickyStarFox, March 07, 2014 - 12:45 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: James, Worthy, criticism, effort, loss, Clippers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users