Photo

Is there such a thing as too old to play video games?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 UNLABORED FLAWLESS

UNLABORED FLAWLESS

Rookie

• 582 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 24, 2014 - 05:23 PM

I appreciate the answers but I think i need to rephrase the question in WHY do some people think video games are for kids?  We all agree that spending hours playing video games probably is not a good thing but we also agree that spending hours doing a hobby is also not a good thing. Unless you have OCD or something.  The real question is why do people have this belief that video games are for kids?

To answer your question..This is large in part due to Nintendo…Nintendo has been known as the kiddy company and in terms of perception no company is responsible more for this view about gaming..Nintendo has always targeted kids and casuals with core gamers being last.  

Sony's target audience has always been ''19''  the teen core gamer. They have been this way since day 1. Sony changed the perception of gaming being ''kiddy'' and it took the industry in a more mature artistic direction. 

Most parents who don't play games will know the name MARIO  but they will have no idea who Solid snake, Master chief is ECT this is because Nintendo in gaming has the most mindshare of being kiddy.

#22 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,259 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted February 24, 2014 - 05:50 PM

however, I think it's difficult for a man who has a wife to play unless his wife is not the serious type and not too demanding. I have a friend who is a gamer and married, and they have major problems, and gaming is part of it.

ap1.png

#23 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 400 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted February 24, 2014 - 06:36 PM

I'm 42, married, have 2 kids and I still rock a 1.5 kd on cod. Obviously, I'm not on as often, but I'm still on. Oh, and my wife has more gamerpoints than I do.

#24 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,823 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 28, 2014 - 10:25 AM

You are never too old to do what you love, that simple.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#25 Brand New

Brand New

Good Enough

• 1,033 posts

Posted February 28, 2014 - 11:41 AM

I get the "you're too old to be playing video games" a lot from my girlfriend and sister. They just don't like the money that gets spend or the time i invest in them. 

Edited by Brand New, February 28, 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#26 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,253 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 28, 2014 - 03:13 PM

No sir.
Posted Image

#27 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,385 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted February 28, 2014 - 03:52 PM

Nope
I see it as a hobby. Basketball, video games and writing is how I relax.
When I got the time I watch a movie /play a video game.
Usually the first vacations days (1 or 2) I do a video gaming marathon.

You're never too old for video games.
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#28 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,146 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted February 28, 2014 - 09:07 PM

Never too old. I'm more of a gamer now than I was when I was 10.

but like others have said, don't let gaming hold you back or keep you from your responsibilities, then it becomes an issue.

related note, one of my coworkers and good friends just ended things with his gf, and his excessive gaming was one of their main issues.

Dude would rather help his friends level up on Borderlands 2 than be with her 80% of the time and she got fed up.

#29 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,823 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 01, 2014 - 08:51 AM

Never too old. I'm more of a gamer now than I was when I was 10.

but like others have said, don't let gaming hold you back or keep you from your responsibilities, then it becomes an issue.

related note, one of my coworkers and good friends just ended things with his gf, and his excessive gaming was one of their main issues.

Dude would rather help his friends level up on Borderlands 2 than be with her 80% of the time and she got fed up.

I think this is the only time where a girl can complain about video games. Neglecting her the majority of time to play them is certainly a bad move for your relationship. I am not gonna lie though in my past relationship there were nights where I hit her with the"I gotta study for this mid-term" and would hop on battlefield 3 with some of my friends for the night. ahah

Edited by PhillyLaker24, March 01, 2014 - 08:51 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#30 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,924 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 05, 2014 - 07:52 PM

If you have a wife that has a problem with you relaxing playing a game, the issue lies somewhere besides the game or playing it.

I'm 43 and married, no problems here.  I don't spend all day playing, but once in a while it's still fun to kick back, grab a snack and play a bit to relax.

#31 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,150 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted March 07, 2014 - 01:19 PM

I never knew you were 43.  For some reason I always thought you're 20 something. lol

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#32 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,150 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted March 07, 2014 - 01:22 PM

I think this is the only time where a girl can complain about video games. Neglecting her the majority of time to play them is certainly a bad move for your relationship. I am not gonna lie though in my past relationship there were nights where I hit her with the"I gotta study for this mid-term" and would hop on battlefield 3 with some of my friends for the night. ahah

Well that goes for any hobbies really.  You a car guy? I know many car guys who spend hours in the garage neglecting their gf, wives and kids.   To me moderation is always the key to have a good life. I am not addicted to anything so I can actually do stuff without spending hours on it.   I love video games but I don't spend more than 10 hours playing video games. At times I tend to break in between. But I rather spend hours playing video games than watching crap on TV thats for sure.  Especially the Lakers because they are crap on tv right now.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#33 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,698 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 07, 2014 - 07:51 PM

#34 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,097 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 08, 2014 - 09:34 AM

I never knew you were 43.  For some reason I always thought you're 20 something. lol

You thought Fido was in his 20s? You obviously haven't been paying attention over the years. TLN OG you are not. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#35 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,256 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted March 08, 2014 - 10:41 PM

I never knew you were 43. For some reason I always thought you're 20 something. lol

Fido goes 'Dad-Mode' too often in the forums for anyone to think he's in his 20's lol

#36 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,328 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 04:07 PM

I'll be gaming till I'm dead.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users