Photo

Is there such a thing as too old to play video games?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,109 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted February 24, 2014 - 08:59 AM

This subject came up many times throughout my life and I would love to hear my fellow lakernation opinions on this.  Let me tell you a little bit about myself that can be relate to this matter.  Don't worry, i know most of you dont give a crap about who i am but just wanted to let you know the back story a little bit.

I am 32 years old. I grew up in the 80's and I call those times the golden age of technology. PC was extremely new. IBM and Apple were trying to make a huge boom. And ofcourse the gaming industry was trying to make a huge name for themselves. Instead of being an arcade coin eater machine at your corner bakery store, the gaming industry wanted to take gaming to a new level. Playing games at home.  Yes they did try it with Atari in the 70's and Oddysey before that but it wasn't really a success untill a little japanese company called Nintendo came out and pretty much destroyed the competition in the 80's.  My first system was the NES. I was old enough in the  80's to understand how to play games so all i did as a kid was sitting at home playing games all night and all day. I was so addicted to my nes that I tend to have bad grades. My parents threatened to throw away my nes if my grades didn't improve. Luckily it did so my  addiction continues. During that time the PC wasn't really relevant enough to dip into serious gaming. ANd besides, my parents couldn't afford a PC at the time. So my pc gaming didn't come until later in my years. So gaming was a huge part of my life. One of my main hobbies.

Anyway, lets fast forward to the current time.  I am much older now and I still love to play video games as when I was 5 years old in the 80's. In fact, I believe I love it more than when I was a kid.  During my 20's as a broke college student I saved up to buy myself both the playstation and the xbox. I mean who needs two systems anyway? I even applied for IGN and gamespot during that time so i can work in the industry but I suck during the interviewing process and I no nothing about programing or graphics design so it didn't work out.  As I became older I made enough money to buy myself a fast PC so I can play games on it. But during my late 20's and to the present day as an early 30 year old dude, i tend to have detracters. Most of my friends are not gamers. I got a friend who is a gamer but majority of my friends are not gamers. They are around my age. Most of them have kids and wives. One night I went out with a group of friends and a girl that I got the hots for asked me a question that stops me on my tracks.  We discussed about a lot of stuff and then I brought up video gaming and how I love to play video games. The girl I had the hots for asked "Aren't you too old for video games?"  You know that screeching sound from a vynal disc that stops the music? Yea that sound happened in my head. I was like no you didn't! No you didn't asked me that question.   I was offended believe it or not with that question for some reason.  I told her it is never too old to love video games.  I will be playing video games until im 90. I couldn't care less.  Then she said "you're like a man child." Isn't it a waste of time?"   Anyway the night kind of end in a sour note but I dont want to get into it.

The question to you guys is am I too old to play video games? Weather its on PC, console or handheld.  The idea that video games are for kids to me is one of the most uneducated, prejudice and ignorant statement anybody can have.  However, do I blame them? Is it the video game culture that causes this? My arguement for that ignorant believes is that it is a hobby. No such hobby should have any age bearing.  Why am I considered a loser because I spend hours playing video games? Why can't i say the same thing to anybody who spend hours on netflix watching game of thrones? Isn't that the same thing? So its ok to be old and watch a tv series for hours but its not ok to play video games for hours?  Why do people always have to hide the fact that they buy a game system not for their kids for for themselves? Is it considered taboo if you are a 45 year old man standing in line for a ps4 or xbox one and its not for your kids?  I believe that you don't have to be in the "gaming industry" to be allowed to play video games even when you are in your 30's 40's 50's 60's and beyond.  Video games to me is for all ages. Its not taboo to spend hours on video gaming. It doesn't make you a loser or a man child or immature. I can say the same thing for people spending hours on anything like say playing farmville on facebook.

But maybe some of you guys do think its for kids. Maybe you do think people are losers especially my age and up to play video games. I would like to hear your opinions on it.

Edited by epicwolf, February 24, 2014 - 01:09 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:21 AM

I have the opposite problem for someone in their 20's, last system I owned was N64, good times lol. But I haven't bought anything since then, initially money but now I guess since I never really developed the habit I don't ever think about having a system. I tried online games but the time commitment on those is ridiculous so I never could. I've been told I need to get a system, funny thing I am a very competitive person, so I might actually end up bring a dedicated gamer but I've never rolled the dice so to speak. Although I don't think I could tolerate a 10 year cursing me out or stooping to that level of also arguing with a child. That being said many of my friends are gamers, not just the average Call of Duty or Halo players, but like LoL, FF, KH, and whatever fighting or shooting game is hot right now and so many others I can barely remember.

Some people I don't think should be playing games if they're not a productive person, but that is my bias. To answer your question I don't think gaming is an age thing, but more of a time issue. My perspective because it applies to me.

My childhood friend is trying to become a professional gamer and I can't stand that about him. But that is like him trying to criticize me for being dedicated to the things I care about, it really is about perspective.

Edited by Ven, February 24, 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#3 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,062 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:24 AM

No

Pau Gasol is GONE

#4 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,109 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Some people I don't think should be playing games if they're not a productive person, but that is my bias. To answer your question I don't think gaming is an age thing, but more of a time issue. My perspective because it applies to me.

My childhood friend is trying to become a professional gamer and I can't stand that about him. But that is like him trying to criticize me for being dedicated to the things I care about, it really is about perspective.

That is mostly the arguements for some people. It is "time consuming".  I mean what does that really mean?  Now I love to play video games obviously but I also have a career.  I work full time and I dont spend 18 hour straight playing video games like i used to when I was younger. However, its all about prioritizing.  I've known people spending hours a day watching movies or tv shows on netflix.  Isn't that also time consuming?  Why is that ok? Any hobbies are time consuming. Unless you have super A.D.D that you can't do one thing for more than one hour.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#5 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,166 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:32 AM

Do whatever the hell you want, by you, I mean everybody. Be happy. As long as you are taking care of yourself and if you have a family taking care of them.. do your thing

ap1.png

#6 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,730 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:55 AM

As long as I'm not a hole in my country's economy, and I'm not doing anything perverse.. My free time is my own business. I could careless about what other's opinion of me, I don't really care. I'm happy playing video games in my free time. It's my own time, it's what I prefer to do, no one has the right to tell me what I should do with it.

#7 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 09:56 AM

That is mostly the arguements for some people. It is "time consuming".  I mean what does that really mean?  Now I love to play video games obviously but I also have a career.  I work full time and I dont spend 18 hour straight playing video games like i used to when I was younger. However, its all about prioritizing.  I've known people spending hours a day watching movies or tv shows on netflix.  Isn't that also time consuming?  Why is that ok? Any hobbies are time consuming. Unless you have super A.D.D that you can't do one thing for more than one hour.

I meant that various people only dedicate themselves to gaming, no other things serves a purpose. No family, education, career and so on. The cliche of not having a life so to speak. I guess you can argue there is no difference in spending a few hours gaming as recreational time just as how some people would read a book or do some other activity. Some would disagree some activities are better than others, but the point is whatever makes you happy.

You're right about prioritizing, there really is no difference in only watching tv for an entire day and gaming for an entire day, if anything "couch potatoes" are also largely ridiculed.

#8 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,501 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 10:10 AM

i haven't played or owned a game system since my ps1 back in 2001 BUT i do stay fairly up to date with the gaming world, and games don't target kids anymore, i think average gamer is like 30 years old anyways. so short answer, no. you are the target market.

bw1wOGf.png

#9 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 748 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted February 24, 2014 - 10:31 AM

It's a hobby like any other

Edited by LakersAllDay77, February 24, 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#10 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,334 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 24, 2014 - 10:36 AM

Video games do not have an age limit just like watching Netflix for hours (using your example) doesn't. They're simply hobbies and pastimes one can engage in in his or her free time. 

The problem can be excessive gaming (unless one is going into the gaming industry) to the point where an individual is neglecting his or her health, family, career, etc. That is unhealthy and can go for almost any pastime activity. 

You're perfectly fine as you already work and have a goal in sight. That girl was simply being very narrow-minded.

#11 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,862 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted February 24, 2014 - 11:40 AM

Some adults who binge drink on the weekly are the same ones who accuse others of being too old for video games. If you have your priorities straight and you enjoy the hobby, then why not? It isn't harmful to your body and you find joy out of it! That should be enough for most people, not age.

People have their certain expectations of how people should act based on their age (hence the term, "act your age, not your shoe size!"). We expect high school students to behave and do their work. "Act your age!"

We expect adults not to mock people and provoke others. "Act your age!"

We expect senior citizens to play a certain role, like perhaps no longer driving a vehicle. "Act your age!"

Many hold certain expectations about people based on their age, which is why status inconsistency may be created when you see a 21 year old college professor teaching 50 year old students.

I have come to learn that you shouldn't judge a person by their age, just like you shouldn't judge a book by its cover or title.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#12 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 11:56 AM

i haven't played or owned a game system since my ps1 back in 2001 BUT i do stay fairly up to date with the gaming world, and games don't target kids anymore, i think average gamer is like 30 years old anyways. so short answer, no. you are the target market.

Very true, and considering the costs of games and systems nowadays, couldn't have worked out any better for them.

#13 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,147 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted February 24, 2014 - 12:13 PM

No, I don't see why there should be a age limit.

o9F7jiv.png

#14 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,617 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted February 24, 2014 - 12:27 PM

Nah, you're not hurting anyone. Only you know if what you're doing is a waste of time or harmful to your behaviors. If you suffer from obesity, then it's probably time to put the games down for a little and do some physical exercise. Other than that, I don't see how there should be an age cap on video games.

Personally, I'd love to play video games all day as well. However, I've stopped in the last few years because I simply don't have enough time to spend on games. Truthfully, I'd play a lot more and spend a lot more on video games if I had time to do so, but I don't.

#15 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 24, 2014 - 01:01 PM

My dad is 53 years old and still plays my PS4. 

:laughing:

For him, it is a way to relax. I don't think you can be too old to play video games. 

#16 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,721 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted February 24, 2014 - 01:07 PM

As long as it doesnt get in the way of priorities, then no.

2div

#17 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,109 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 01:14 PM

I appreciate the answers but I think i need to rephrase the question in WHY do some people think video games are for kids?  We all agree that spending hours playing video games probably is not a good thing but we also agree that spending hours doing a hobby is also not a good thing. Unless you have OCD or something.  The real question is why do people have this belief that video games are for kids?

#18 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,109 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 01:17 PM

My dad is 53 years old and still plays my PS4. 

:laughing:

For him, it is a way to relax. I don't think you can be too old to play video games. 

But that is the thing though. Why does he play YOUR ps4? You guys live together? Was he embarrassed to go and pick up a system for himself?  Thats the question.  I still look young so when I pick up a ps4 nobody would question why i pick it up. Most of them probably wouldn't think I pick it up for my kids.  But say if you dad walks into gamestop and pick up a ps4, automaticly people think its for his kid. 

#19 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,721 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted February 24, 2014 - 01:20 PM

i think only old-school people still think that way.

that train of thinking is definitely about to shift within the next couple of years. when these baby boomers retire, the next generation of "old" people will be people who were born and raised with video games. video games as a hobby will be (if it isn't already) the norm.

2div

#20 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,797 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 03:38 PM

In todays world, there is no such thing as being too old to play games

Theres brain games for kids/elderly, exercise games for people wanting to loose weight, theres literally games for everyone

Edit: It depends on how much you play though..If you play so much that you neglect more important things, then maybe you are playing too much. But if not, who cares what other people think about your gaming habits.

People who make games arent kids, and the majority of games made today arent intended for kids anyways

Edited by pkflyers, February 24, 2014 - 03:48 PM.

13z8pc6.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users