Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,172 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 22, 2014 - 02:10 AM

Fuming Nuggets coach Brian Shaw takes his team to task after loss at Chicago

SHAW-BULLS-270x407.jpg

“As a coach and coaching staff, it’s our job to try to find five players that want to go out and play and want to have some pride and not decide night-to-night that ‘I’m going to play this game and I’m not going to play this game.’ I felt like tonight we had some guys that just decided they weren’t going to play tonight, they weren’t going to put forth any effort to try to get the job done. It’s unfortunate. It’s a nationally televised game that we’re professionals and as a staff we have to beg guys to give effort when they play.

“I told our team I wish paychecks were predicated on night-to-night performance. So if you play like a star on a given night then you get paid like a star. If you play like an uninspired player, then either you don’t get paid or you get paid like an uninspired player. And you can’t just pick and choose when you want. Last night we played Milwaukee, who is obviously down players, they have injuries, they’ve been struggling all season long and we act like the big bad wolf against Milwaukee. And then we come in tonight…and we tuck our tails and we hide basically. We don’t defend at all, from the onset of the game until the end. And thus another 30-point loss for us on the road.

http://blogs.denverp...-chicago/10145/

He went on to say he's only gonna be playing guys that he feels put forth the effort worthy of their paychecks no matter if they are the last guy on the bench or just got there. 

I feel bad for B, Shaw.  But we know ALL ABOUT having to  "coach effort" all too well.  Seems he's having issues with it as well. 

The team just doesn't respect him, they aren't his guys, they are George Karl's guys, and without Gallo or McGee they are just packing it in more often than not no matter what he tells them.  Gotta be frustrating for Shaw. 

But it will be a good experience in learning how to manage and deal with ego's.  He still got some growing to do, I just hope Denver doesn't try to get rid of him before he has a chance to actually grow as a coach. 

Edited by Majesty, March 10, 2014 - 11:05 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,364 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted February 22, 2014 - 02:37 AM

Just the wrong coach for the wrong team.

Can we trade him for MDA this Off Season lol

#3 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 414 posts
  • Name:Dylan
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 22, 2014 - 03:34 AM

I do like the idea of players getting paid on their nightly performance. I know it probably wont ever happen but it would make them play a lot harder and earn their money. You just have to look at player on one year contracts and look how hard they play. They are playing for their future.

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,003 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted February 22, 2014 - 04:57 AM

This would save the NBA.

#5 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,926 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 22, 2014 - 11:22 AM

I would love incentive based contracts.  It would straighten out a ton of players quickly.

#6 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,133 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted February 22, 2014 - 11:35 AM

the NFL does this they get their checks after every game 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#7 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,241 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted February 22, 2014 - 11:35 AM

There are already plenty of contracts with incentives built into them. The players union would never agree to night-to-night based contracts. And the league will never try to take them on for it because they know it's a non-starter.

Posted Image

#8 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,926 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 22, 2014 - 11:37 AM

Oh I know the players' union wouldn't do it because it would expose about 75% of the players in the league.

#9 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,700 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted February 22, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Incentive based contracts should go into injuries as well. If a player isn't progressing or dedicated to rehabilitating their body, they simply should go without pay. We see way too many instances of players sitting out just cause they feel like it, our own Lakers included.

#10 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 22, 2014 - 12:13 PM

I would have liked Brian Shaw as a coach, but it seems like he's completely lost the Denver locker room. Andre Miller, Kenneth Faried, etc. all can't stand him, and they have consistent effort problems.

#11 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,524 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 22, 2014 - 12:37 PM

I would have liked Brian Shaw as a coach, but it seems like he's completely lost the Denver locker room. Andre Miller, Kenneth Faried, etc. all can't stand him, and they have consistent effort problems.

I really don't see him there long term and it was a huge mistake for the organization to let go of Karl.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#12 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted February 22, 2014 - 12:42 PM

I hope he gets fired so we can hire him.

You know, like we should've done 2 years ago.
iyjywo.jpg

#13 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,003 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 12:44 PM

He'd be great with all the hungry players we have. If he would he have implemented the Triangle? As we're going forward I wonder if these players can handle that system.

#14 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,878 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 22, 2014 - 12:55 PM

Brian Shaw is an average coach at best.

Lakers fans have back up QB syndrome.

#15 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,003 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 01:26 PM

Brian Shaw is an average coach at best.

Lakers fans have back up QB syndrome.

He is an old school mentality and doesn't buy into diva behavior, him calling them out in this manner indicates he is holding them accountable which is what a good coach does.

For a brand new inexperienced coach to walk into that locker room with many young players, the injuries they have had and frankly no team leader, I 'd say they been pretty good just inconsistent.

For them in it is also an organization culture thing, no one would walk into that team expecting them to be competitive and want to win championships, so more times than not they go through the motions.

Edited by Ven, February 22, 2014 - 01:27 PM.

#16 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,172 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 22, 2014 - 01:58 PM

^that said. I'm 99 percent sure if our coach said that about our players the response would be that a good coach knows how to motivate his players and actually coach them. And that him not having their respect shows he's a terrible coach and that putting them on blast is onlt gonna make them quit on him.

I'm sure Shaw will get. Apositive spin putn what he does 9 times out of 10 and our coach will get it the opposite way 9 out of 10.

That said, Shaw is 100% right and he doesn't belong in Denver. He should have stayed in Indiana imo.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#17 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,395 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 22, 2014 - 03:32 PM

#18 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,003 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 03:47 PM

^that said. I'm 99 percent sure if our coach said that about our players the response would be that a good coach knows how to motivate his players and actually coach them. And that him not having their respect shows he's a terrible coach and that putting them on blast is onlt gonna make them quit on him.

I had thought of that nuance, easy example was when MDA called out some players and we all buried him for "shifting" blame and pointing fingers when he is head coach.

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,097 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 22, 2014 - 04:04 PM

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,407 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 04:58 PM

I do like the idea of players getting paid on their nightly performance. I know it probably wont ever happen but it would make them play a lot harder and earn their money. You just have to look at player on one year contracts and look how hard they play. They are playing for their future.

This would save the NBA.

I would love incentive based contracts.  It would straighten out a ton of players quickly.

the NFL does this they get their checks after every game 

There are already plenty of contracts with incentives built into them. The players union would never agree to night-to-night based contracts. And the league will never try to take them on for it because they know it's a non-starter.

Oh I know the players' union wouldn't do it because it would expose about 75% of the players in the league.

I couldn't agree anymore with all of this. It really would save the NBA in large part.

Imagine how much more competitive the whole league would be through & through & thus the product would be so much more consistently better & watchable.

I can't even recall just how many nationally televised games there's been this season that have been absolute blowouts. It's a [expletive]ing embarrasment flat out & beyond disgraceful & pathetic.

One should almost never have to literally beg professionals as much as one does to give forth effort. It's understandable if you lack talent, that can be forgiven, but effort, that's just bull[expletive].

Players have it far too easy in the NBA in large part. They need to be held more accountable, but sadly it probably won't be changing anytime soon.

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users