Photo

Lakers Free Agency Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
3714 replies to this topic

#3701 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,051 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted Yesterday, 06:17 PM

Dwight in Los Angeles was surrounded by geriatrics and was being sold on what they could POSSIBLY do in the future as opposed to what they can do now. Love plays with the best player in the world plus one of the best point guards in the league. He gets to get paid superstar money to be the third wheel. He doesn't have to play defense at all.

Please let's not compare the two in order to convince yourself of a certain scenario coming to fruition.

And?    

You think that Steph(whom is an MVP candidate this year) isn't better? 

It ain't about that you just play with a great player it's about the team's fit.

Fact of the matter is Golden State is the better fit, with the younger team and the better upside and the brighter future.  

LeBron can't do it by himself and I'd pick up Curry this year over Kyrie.   I'd definitely pick Thompson over Waiters or Marion.  

LeBron over Iggy obviously.  But Bogut over Varajao too, especially defensively.  I'd also take Draymond Green and Harrison Barnes off the bench than anyone the Cavs currently have on theirs. 

Like I said, if Golden State moves Lee, Love is going there.  He'd be a fool not to.    Better fit, better offensive fit, better perimeter threats to allow him to do what he wants to do without LeBron forcing him to primarily be a three point shooter. 

What did the Lakers have with Dwight?   

They had Kobe, Dwight, Pau and Nash, for most of the season Dwight, Pau and Kobe.   Did Houston have better players at their positions?   

No.

Did Houston have the younger team ? 

Yes

Did Houston have the brighter upside? 

Yes

Did Houston have a young core that looked to be on the up and closer to Dwight's age? 

Yes

Like I said.   The ONLY thing that would keep Kevin Love in Cleveland is LeBron.  But even LeBron needed Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh whom had a GREAT defensive coach and a team who was top 5 defensively before Bosh or LeBron even got there, in addition to Wade with championship experience and Bosh having lead his team to the playoffs before. 

None of that is in Cleveland.    Which is why LeBron has to play 40 mins a game to keep them above .500. 

If Cleveland doesn't win this year Love is gonna be taking a STRONG look at Golden State and why wouldn't he?    Him and LeBron are gonna BOTH be looking to get paid this off-season and if they both got it Cleveland would be stuck basically with the core they have now long term.   Is that core winning championships?  They aren't exactly a "Ray Allen" away from being a championship favorite are they?   

And you say "Love doesn't have to play defense in Cleveland" 

oh.. thats right.. cause Varajao will cover up all those mistakes   :laughing:    No.. he can't.  But guess who could?  Andrew Bogut...  who is known as a rim protector and a defender.  

You think he doesn't have to play D in Cleveland?   Imagine if he has Iggy at the 3 and Bogut behind him at the 5?  Yeah.. he REALLY doesn't have to worry about defense then.   

Yeah.   Love would go to Golden State, I'm pretty sure about that 

Steph Curry
Klay Thompson
Andre Igoudala 
Kevin Love
Andrew Bogut 

Bench
Draymond Green 
Harrison Barnes 

Shaun Livingston 

yeah..... I don't see why Love wouldn't go there.   Do they have LeBron?  No.  But they have a heck of a lot more upside of what that team could be than Cleveland has at the moment.  

As I said, The Warriors are to Cleveland what Houston was to the Lakers.   At the very least the Lakers could tell Dwight "we'll have cap space after this season and can improve the core."  

The Cav's can't even offer Love that if him, Kyrie and LeBron are making the max.  It's all or nothing and there is no savior free agent that they could afford and Golden State looks better and better.  

Again, nowhere in my mind do I think Love would go to the Lakers   :laughing:    

It's Golden State  ;)  Or back to Minnesota with Rubio, Wiggins. LaVine, Bennett, Dieng as a young building core.   

But I'd give Golden State the edge.  

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#3702 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,537 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted Yesterday, 06:19 PM

iraqi-information-minister.jpg

Everything is fine. The Lakers are making great moves. No need to worry. The rest of the NBA doesn't know what is coming in two years.

¬°Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#3703 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,051 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Everything is fine. The Lakers are making great moves. No need to worry. The rest of the NBA doesn't know what is coming in two years.

it's about what's coming next year 

Kevin+Love+Warriors+Elijah+Bases+and+Bas

#3704 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,963 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Folks get their hopes up to get them BEAT DOWN!!!
#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg

#3705 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Rookie

• 1,054 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Robert Horry

Posted Yesterday, 07:30 PM

I don't know why people get their hopes up. When I hear about laker trades I write it off until it happens. We are stuck attracting scrubs until we can turn things around.

#3706 kidpolean

kidpolean

Rookie

• 790 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Love has absolutely no reason to stay in Cleveland except to say "Hey I'm playing with Lebron." He has much better options. That Cavs team is a terrible fit. You have three ball dominant players, and are trying to force two of them into being spot up shooters. Nobody on that team plays any defense, Lebron is playing crazy minutes and will eventually get hurt...I know people think he is a god and the rules of regular humans dont apply to him but it will happen.

#3707 lakersball666

lakersball666

Rookie

• 71 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:08 PM

Jimmy Butler had 35 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds, 4 steals and 1 block in Chicago's win over New York.

How nice would he look in a Laker uniform ?

#3708 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,051 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:15 PM

Love has absolutely no reason to stay in Cleveland except to say "Hey I'm playing with Lebron." He has much better options. That Cavs team is a terrible fit. You have three ball dominant players, and are trying to force two of them into being spot up shooters. Nobody on that team plays any defense, Lebron is playing crazy minutes and will eventually get hurt...I know people think he is a god and the rules of regular humans dont apply to him but it will happen.

Pretty much why I said that he's going to the Warriors if they trade or move Lee which they're trying to.   

I dunno where people suddenly thought that all you needed was LeBron and you instantly contended for a championship.  Lebron still needed Wade and Bosh.  They all helped each other.  If any "one" of them went to a team it wouldn't instantly make that team the best team in the league. 

People thought it did but as you see, with the two unproven talents with no playoff experience, no defense played and no depth on the team and a rookie coach that it takes more than just having LeBron James to make things work.   

#3709 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,996 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted Yesterday, 11:18 PM

Pretty much why I said that he's going to the Warriors if they trade or move Lee which they're trying to.   

I dunno where people suddenly thought that all you needed was LeBron and you instantly contended for a championship.  Lebron still needed Wade and Bosh.  They all helped each other.  If any "one" of them went to a team it wouldn't instantly make that team the best team in the league. 

People thought it did but as you see, with the two unproven talents with no playoff experience, no defense played and no depth on the team and a rookie coach that it takes more than just having LeBron James to make things work.   

They will make it work at some point, they just need to figure out how.

Usually when you have enough talent, it can work. They have plenty of talent on that team, but they may have to move Waiters and a couple of future picks in order to become a real contender.

#3710 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,051 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:28 PM

How are they going to make it work when LeBron has to play 40 minutes to keep them above .500 and no one plays defense?  Their best defender is Marion, they have the worst rim protector in the league, and you have to get past Kevin Love to get to them.  

It's not about having the talent its about fit and matchups.    Them having a rookie coach that refuses to scout other teams and the fact that no one plays defense whatsoever which is why they get blown out by 30 against Atlanta.  

When it comes down to it, that team isn't built right from the ground up. They have Lebron, they have Love, they have Kyrie, but they have no defender, no rim protector, no bench, not an experienced coach, an unproven coach, no defense and they have a LeBron who was already exhausted at the end of last season, going for his 4th straight finals, needing to play 40 minutes a game just to keep them in the game.  

They are looking like the 2012 us WITHOUT all the injuries to throw them off.    That's not a good sign.   

Their offense is gonna be awesome and will carry them through games but their lack of defense is always coming around to bite them.  

It's not like the Heat who just had to figure out their offense but were already a top defensive team in the league with a proven defensive coach in Spo.  

With the Heat their problem was figuring out their offense as their defense took care of itself so once they found their offense no team was stopping them because their defense was already there. 

The Cavs problem is they have their offense, but their defense is consistently lacking.   They're 4th in the League in Offense but 23rd in the League in Defense.  They were 19th in the league defensively last year and getting Kevin Love doesn't change that.    

Whereas the Heat were 6th in the league defensively before LeBron and Bosh got there and were just 19th in offensive ranking.   
When LeBron and Bosh got their  the defense went up to 5th(it was already awesome prior) but their offense raised from 19th to 3rd .  THAT was where they did their damage in addition to the defense they already had.   By the time their run had ended their defense had slipped to 11th.     

The Cavs defense is 4 slots lower than it was last year(from 19th to 23rd) despite their offense being top 5 in the league which is why LeBron needs to play 40 minutes a game to keep them above .500.   

There isn't much left to "figure out".  Nothing they figure out is going to make Kevin Love a defender or Varajao a competent rim protector. 

Edited by Majesty, Yesterday, 11:29 PM.

#3711 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,996 posts

Posted Today, 12:04 AM

You're just being a hater.

Lebron is a defender, so is Varejao and so is Marion. Their coaching situation can be solved and they have the assets they need to make deals towards solving the issues they may have and much like we saw in Miami they can probably find cheap productive veterans. Right now they have Wes Matthews and Mozgov in their sights, which would solve many of their current problems.

Offensively, once they find their legs they could be one of the greatest offensive teams of all time and it wouldn't matter that they allow 105 ppg if they can drop 120 ppg.

If all turns to [expletive], they can look into moving Kyrie as well. Or Love, once he's locked in.

#3712 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,051 posts

Posted Today, 12:18 AM

You're just being a hater.

Lebron is a defender, so is Varejao and so is Marion. Their coaching situation can be solved and they have the assets they need to make deals towards solving the issues they may have and much like we saw in Miami they can probably find cheap productive veterans. Right now they have Wes Matthews and Mozgov in their sights, which would solve many of their current problems.

Offensively, once they find their legs they could be one of the greatest offensive teams of all time and it wouldn't matter that they allow 105 ppg if they can drop 120 ppg.

If all turns to [expletive], they can look into moving Kyrie as well. Or Love, once he's locked in.

no I'm being a realist.

LeBron is a solid help side defender, man to man defender he's average.  

Varajao ranked as one of the worst rim protectors in the league last year and he's their last line of defense behind Kevin Love whom is a terrible defender in his own right. 

36 year old Shawn Marion is the best defender on that team and that should be all you really need to hear.... 

Edited by Majesty, Today, 12:18 AM.

#3713 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,996 posts

Posted Today, 12:30 AM

no I'm being a realist.

LeBron is a solid help side defender, man to man defender he's average.  

Varajao ranked as one of the worst rim protectors in the league last year and he's their last line of defense behind Kevin Love whom is a terrible defender in his own right. 

36 year old Shawn Marion is the best defender on that team and that should be all you really need to hear.... 

A realist?

Lebron is not just a solid help side defender and while Varejao is a bad rim protecter, he's elite when it comes to defending the pick and roll. Marion is solid as well. 

What they need is a shot-blocker at the 5 as well as a 3s/D wing who can defend the guard position. In that regard, i think they'll move both Waiters and Tristan Thompson as well as some of their future picks.

#3714 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,512 posts

Posted Today, 12:59 AM

Let's help them and send them Lin and Davis for Thompson and waiters
Posted Image

#3715 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,051 posts

Posted Today, 01:00 AM

A realist?

Lebron is not just a solid help side defender and while Varejao is a bad rim protecter, he's elite when it comes to defending the pick and roll. Marion is solid as well. 

What they need is a shot-blocker at the 5 as well as a 3s/D wing who can defend the guard position. In that regard, i think they'll move both Waiters and Tristan Thompson as well as some of their future picks.

There's a reason the Cavs are ranked 23rd in the league defensively and allow 108 points a game. It's because Varajao is their rim protector and Kevin Love is the defender you need to get by to go to him, 

Also why point guards have a field day on the Cavs. 

But this was broken down better actually here 

The Raptors, Wizards, and Hawks are showing the NBA right now that they are for real and they are not gonna go anytime soon. In addition, all three of these teams have speedy point guards and bigs that could score down low. And does not bode well for the Cavaliers in the future.

If you look at the Cavaliers losses this season, speedy point guards and big men that could score down low have destroyed them this season.

Jazz (Kanter and Favors combined 39 points against them)

Blazers (Lillard and Wes Matthews scored 48 points against them)

Nuggets (Lawson and Affalo scored 47 points and Lawson had 12 assists)

Spurs (Duncan and Diaw scored 38 points)

Wizards (Wall destroyed them with 28 points)

Raptors  (Williams (36 points), Derozan (20 points), and Lowry (23 points)).

Thunder (Westbrook scored 26 points against them)

Bucks (even though they won, Knight scored 27 points against them)

Pelicans (Tyreke Evans and Ryan Anderson each scored 31 points against them)

Hawks (Horford and Millsap scored 34 points, Shelvin Mack scored 24 points off the bench)

As you could see if you have a guard who is quick and can score or big men that could score down low, you have a great chance to win against the Cavaliers.

By the way, the Top 7 teams in the West have those criterias above. So, if the Cavs were in the Western Conference, they would not be 14-10 at all...

Edited by Majesty, Today, 01:03 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 1 anonymous users