34 replies to this topic

#21 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,381 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted February 22, 2014 - 11:26 AM

A true cocksmans. Derek is overrated.

No player that puts together over 3,000 hits in a career with a lifetime .312 batting average is overrated...

3000 hits is impressive. He's played forever. His longevity is his greatest accomplishment. Lot of the time he wasn't even the best player on his team. He's a top 10 SS all time. He didn't revolutionize the game. His impact on the game IMO is overrated. How's that?

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#22 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted February 22, 2014 - 01:45 PM

Who has said that he revolutionized the game, or that he had to?  I also don't see anyone claiming that he had a huge impact on the game - he didn't.  He is simply one of the greatest players of this generation, and as another poster pointed out one of the greatest players in Yankees history.  THAT is his greatest accomplishment.  When you are on the same lists as people like Ruth, Gehrig and Mantle you are in no way overrated...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#23 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,381 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 04:04 PM

Who has said that he revolutionized the game, or that he had to?  I also don't see anyone claiming that he had a huge impact on the game - he didn't.  He is simply one of the greatest players of this generation, and as another poster pointed out one of the greatest players in Yankees history.  THAT is his greatest accomplishment.  When you are on the same lists as people like Ruth, Gehrig and Mantle you are in no way overrated...

Lots of people are saying those things. Jeter is compared to them (mostly because) he's a Yankee. But also because he's only ever been a Yankee. He's behind all those guys you mention. I'd put him behind Mariano Rivera. In 30 years will people (non Yankee fans) be carrying on about Jeter like they do those greats? Mike Trout loves Jeter, he's got that going for him.

#24 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 04:42 PM

Who are these people?  I have never once heard or read anyone say that Jeter "revolutionized" the game. 

Obviously he is being compared to Yankeed greats because he's a Yankee, it wouldn't make sense to compare him to say St. Louis Cardinal greats because he never played for them.  The Yankees are the greatest franchise in American sports history and have a long list of legendary players, Jeter included.  To be mentioned in the same sentence with names like Ruth & DiMaggio means you are a great baseball player. 

And I never said he was ahead of players like Ruth, I said he was on the list with them...which he is.  Jeter is the Yankees all time leader in games played, at bats, hits and steals.  He's 2nd in doubles, 3rd in runs (if he stays healthy this season he could be #1 in both of these categories as well).  3rd in total bases, He's also a Top 10 Yankee in batting average, HRs, RBI, offensive WAR, walks, extra base hits.  You get the point, hopefully...

Jeter is easily one of the greatest short stops in baseball history, a no doubt 1st ballot HOFer.  To say he is overrated is silly...

2zi2dsm.jpg

#25 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,381 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 06:00 PM

Who are these people?  I have never once heard or read anyone say that Jeter "revolutionized" the game. 

Obviously he is being compared to Yankeed greats because he's a Yankee, it wouldn't make sense to compare him to say St. Louis Cardinal greats because he never played for them.  The Yankees are the greatest franchise in American sports history and have a long list of legendary players, Jeter included.  To be mentioned in the same sentence with names like Ruth & DiMaggio means you are a great baseball player. 

And I never said he was ahead of players like Ruth, I said he was on the list with them...which he is.  Jeter is the Yankees all time leader in games played, at bats, hits and steals.  He's 2nd in doubles, 3rd in runs (if he stays healthy this season he could be #1 in both of these categories as well).  3rd in total bases, He's also a Top 10 Yankee in batting average, HRs, RBI, offensive WAR, walks, extra base hits.  You get the point, hopefully...

Jeter is easily one of the greatest short stops in baseball history, a no doubt 1st ballot HOFer.  To say he is overrated is silly...

His importance to the game is overrated. That is my point. I've made it. I'm done.

#26 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts

Posted February 22, 2014 - 07:04 PM

Lol...

2zi2dsm.jpg

#27 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,829 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted February 22, 2014 - 11:12 PM

His importance to the game is overrated. That is my point. I've made it. I'm done.

what? how does that take away from him playing at a high level for years and being top 10 yankee all time, possibly top 5

ap1.png

#28 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:00 AM

You guys really don't notice the hoopla made over the guy? Really? It's freakin ridiculous. They pump him up so much you would think that he's going to retire leading MLB in every major statistical category. I have never remembered another baseball player getting this much attention when he retired.

#29 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 23, 2014 - 09:50 AM

You guys really don't notice the hoopla made over the guy? Really? It's freakin ridiculous. They pump him up so much you would think that he's going to retire leading MLB in every major statistical category. I have never remembered another baseball player getting this much attention when he retired.

Because unlike other great players, Jeter didn't tarnish his legacy with the help of performance enhancing drugs.

He played the game the way it was supposed to be played.

I personally don't understand the resentment towards Jeter's attention. He's the ultimate professional and provided the next generation with a role model when it comes to baseball. He's definitely going to be missed by the game that currently has to deal with the likes of players like Alex Rodriguez.

Maybe it's different for me because I've followed his career since I was a kid but the send off he is will receive is well deserved. He's in a big market and part of a great franchise like the Yankees, this is the stuff that you get for a great career, just like the Lakers. Kobe Bryant will receive one in two years too. Many players aren't lifetime players for one team, it's pretty uncommon in sports today.

#30 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 23, 2014 - 01:25 PM

His importance to the game is overrated to YOU.  

That is your point. It does not mean you're right. 

#31 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts

Posted February 24, 2014 - 01:19 PM

Because unlike other great players, Jeter didn't tarnish his legacy with the help of performance enhancing drugs.

He played the game the way it was supposed to be played.

I personally don't understand the resentment towards Jeter's attention. He's the ultimate professional and provided the next generation with a role model when it comes to baseball. He's definitely going to be missed by the game that currently has to deal with the likes of players like Alex Rodriguez.

Maybe it's different for me because I've followed his career since I was a kid but the send off he is will receive is well deserved. He's in a big market and part of a great franchise like the Yankees, this is the stuff that you get for a great career, just like the Lakers. Kobe Bryant will receive one in two years too. Many players aren't lifetime players for one team, it's pretty uncommon in sports today.

Thank you for your opinion. Very good points and it was best response towards my sentiments, easily lol. I can't dispute against anything that was stated.

That said, I'm still going to stick to my guns and say the coverage is annoying haha.

• 40,603 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 11:36 PM

Icker's gonna' love this, lol.

David Ortiz Says He Gets Goosebumps When He Sees Jeter Play

2vje89t.png

yo.

• 40,603 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 10:51 PM

Feel how you will about Jeter, but this is pretty awesome.

Woman Tries to Steal Ball From Kid but Jeter Denies Her

yo.

#34 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 04:54 AM

He probably banged her after the game too...

2zi2dsm.jpg

• 40,603 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 12:58 AM

Yet another dagger to Icker. Sorry man.

Fox Sports 1 Dedicating Tribute Show To Derek Jeter

Derek-Jeter.jpg

:laughing:

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users