218 replies to this topic

#201 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,502 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 08, 2014 - 10:03 AM

Sure when you have a contending core in place but you don't spend 4-5M on role players when you don't have that.  It's easy to overspend to keep guys when you have the main core. 

Meeks and Hill could have roles on contenders.
Just like Chalmers and Haslem

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#202 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,005 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 10:28 AM

I don't get why we must overrate our players. This is how Luke Walton was able to get 5 years and 25 mill lol

#203 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,694 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 08, 2014 - 10:47 AM

This is a show me league. Every team pays based off of that. Ppl will overpay for Nick Young, Meeks, Hill and others just because they had a good to nice season. Samething with Luke Walton. He lead the team with a high 3% shooting and played smart under Phil.. Lakers signed him... He got hurt... That was that. If Wes started playing above the rim for the remaining of these 5 games and connecting his shots, he would get paid too. Folk talked about Brandon Wright, what has he done? Catch fire against the Lakers, then folk say get him in the off-season. It's all a show me now
#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg

#204 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,240 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted April 08, 2014 - 10:56 AM

I don't get why we must overrate our players. This is how Luke Walton was able to get 5 years and 25 mill lol

I think it was actually $30M.

#205 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,428 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted April 08, 2014 - 10:58 AM

I think it was actually $30M.

Ugh, don't remind me.

#206 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,091 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 08, 2014 - 11:42 AM

That was also during a time we could throw money around like nothing to sign people before the new CBA. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#207 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,014 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 12:14 PM

No one is suggesting pay 4x as much for Deng or Rudy Gay but giving guys like Meeks 4M is bad. He isn't very good even with his improvements. If Meeks is producing as much as he is right now it's because the team is very very bad.

Well that's gay and dengs market value.

And again who are we saving cap for ?

Meeks is 3m guy for me, max.
But if you're resigning hill who takes 3m currently then you would expect at least 3.5 to 4m to sign him. Where does that put young's contract at ?

#208 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,502 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 12:16 PM

Not really the case.  The new CBA hasn't changed life yet for the Lakers. The old CBA didn't allow LA just to sign anyone for any price.  The main differences was the sign and trade rules, free agency max offers and new luxury tax rates.  The old CBA wouldn't make signing Meeks above his value when the team doesn't have a Cship core any less a bad idea. 

That was also during a time we could throw money around like nothing to sign people before the new CBA. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#209 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,502 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 12:24 PM

10M-11M for Gay and Deng IMO.  I never mentioned Hill, I thought we were talking about Meeks and you could probably throw Young in there.  Hill is worth more than 3M easily.  Meeks even with his improvements is still a spot up shooter.  He's playing is a high paced offensive that uses Pick and rolls and stretches the floor.  It's easy to see why he had a better season. 

The main point is that you can't overpay or pay par value for wings like Meeks that come in abundance unless you have a core in place.  Why pay Meeks 3M and Young 3-4M when you can bring in guys that do similar things for cheaper?  I think you pick one and let the other go.  Why have 7M wrapped up in 2 wings that for one eat minutes from each other and they lose minutes if Kobe manages to stay healthy? 

If Kobe is healthy at say 32-33MPG Meeks and Young aren't putting up career numbers.  Guys are also caught up in the stats too much.  Meeks and Young are having career years but we still saw them get ran off the floor even when HEALTHY.  It's similar to Evan Turner in PHI.  Turner still is an average player but being on a team devoid of talent had fans thinking he was really improving. 

Well that's gay and dengs market value.

And again who are we saving cap for ?

Meeks is 3m guy for me, max.
But if you're resigning hill who takes 3m currently then you would expect at least 3.5 to 4m to sign him. Where does that put young's contract at ?

#210 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,091 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 12:35 PM

We have 16,700,000 of breathing room for both Meeks and Hill's contracts as we have their bird rights.     That's 16,700,000 of extra space that doesn't go against our cap.  

look here, I broke it down. 

Both really need to happen imo. The only way that Carmelo comes to anywhere other than the Bulls imo other than a S&T is if the Lakers had a high lottery pick and re-signed their depth with something in the 15s leftover for Carmelo.  Anything less and he won't.  But Chicago would likely pay him just as much as we would so there's that too.   But the Bulls also have less cap space

Let's break down the top 5 cap spaced teams from first to 5th next year 

1. 76ers 28 million in cap space

2. Dallas Mavericks 27 million in cap space

3. Utah Jazz 27 million in cap space

4. Phoenix Suns 26 million in cap space

5, Los Angeles Lakers 21 million in cap space 

Now how ahead of it are we?   Look at the 6th
6. Charlotte Bobcats 17 million in cap space

And where are the Chicago Bulls? 

14.  Chicago Bulls (- 4 million) in cap space 

What THIS means is that they are going to NEED to amnesty Boozer if they want to make any play at Carmelo Anthony.  
Not just that they ALSO need money for Mirotic who will need a viable contract.  

So it won't be so easy to offer Carmelo how much he wants despite what ESPN says.  

So let's see the 5th spot Lakers

21 million in cap space

37 million taken up in complete cap estimated 23 of it Kobe's contract, 9 being Steve Nash's, that's 32 million, so an extra 5 million of space is there to make up for, Marshall, Kelly, Bazemore re-signings, maybe X and Wes as well etc.  
That is what we are predicted to be at, with 21 million in cap space AFTER the re-signings of Marshall, Kelly and Bazemore.  Which gives us the 5th most cap space in the league. 

The Lakers are way beneath the Cap Maximum of 59 million, as well as way beneath the luxury tax threshold at 75 million. 

So let's look at the competition. 

76ers are likely not going for big time free agents and are going to be rebuilding so that removes them.

The Jazz are in the same boat of rebuilding and likely aren't looking at Melo.

The Suns are also in the same boat with potential signings needed with all their first round draft picks AS WELL as retaining Bledsoe so they won't be in the top 5 of cap space for very long.

That then leaves the Mavericks and the Lakers.  Two teams I feel will be making a run at Carmelo.  The Mavericks and the Lakers can both pay him.  It depends which team is in the better situation if it comes down to those two teams.  I wouldn't put it past Cuban to throw a max offer Melo's way though while the Lakers would likely offer a paycut.  Cuban will likely be chasing LeBron too quiet as kept.

The good news for the Lakers is that they have the bird rights to both Jodie Meeks and Jordan Hill, whom would be their likely most expensive re-signs.   As the Lakers are  20 million beneath the cap maximum, and almost 37 beneath the Tax threshold, it leaves them a lot of breathing room to use those bird rights without worrying about it eating away their cap, that is the benefit of bird rights.  They can also re-sign Swaggy P without much worry. 

The Lakers HAVE enough money to bring back everyone.   With their estimated cap space at 21 million AFTER re-signing the following
Bazemore
Marshall
Kelly   

That gives us a lot of room to play with + two players with bird's rights.    

That means we very well COULD re-sign Nick Young for something around a 5 million dollar contract and still have about 16 million to toy with afterwards because Bird's Rights(to Hill and Meeks) don't eat away at that. 

Now let's assume we re-sign  

Bazemore
Marshall
Kelly
Jordan Hill

Jodie Meeks
Nick Young

and have that 16 million left over(note, Jordan Hill and Jodie Meeks contracts would be able to breach into the luxury tax threshold which gives us 16,700,000 of breathing room when dealing with their contracts via Bird's Rights, that is more than enough money to retain them both imo).

So alright 

Bazemore
Marshall
Kelly
Jordan Hill
Jodie Meeks
Nick Young

All on board. NOW, we have 16 million left to NOT go into the tax over that we can use before we hit the cap.  

However if Nick Young OPTS in he leaves us with around 19 million to play with.

NOW, would 19 million be enough to offer Carmelo(although it would eat the rest of our cap space completely and we'd have no flexibility for 2015)   

Another thing to consider is your first round draft pick 

Pick number 1 gets 4.3 million dollars

Pick number 5 gets 2.9 million dollars 

That's within the range the Lakers will be paying.  Now IF they re-signed everyone AND got pick number 1 through 5 it knocks their 19 million down to around 15+ million at 1st pick, around 17+ million at 5th pick. 

THAT may not be enough to entice Carmelo Anthony to come without eating up ALL our cap, and he'd take too low of a paycut. 

The only way that number would go back up would be, if you didn't re-sign someone such as X or Wes(or both).  

But then again that's operating from the perspective of spending all your money in the 2014 free agency, something Mitch has given no indication he plans to do. 

What Mitch will do is to try to get the Lakers to a threshold where they have a MAX contract type of money available once Nash's 9 million comes off in the 2015 off-season.  

So in terms of how much cap Mitch is going to save it will likely be somewhere around 9 million.   The benefit is that re-signing everyone as well as our pick likely leaves us off at around 10-12 million cap left over.    Once Nash's contract is off the books in the 2015 off-season then we'd have max money yet again.   

So that is probably close to what Mitch's plan will be in terms of how much cap he wants left over this off-season.  

Unfortunately for Carmelo to Los Angeles Lakers fans that makes that scenario HIGHLY unlikely. 

The ONLY way that this happens is if they Sign and Traded with Melo himself and he opted in the final year.before becoming a UFA in 2015 and leaving us with his bird rights. 

The problem with this plan is if we took Carmelo's 22 million contract on next year, despite it being bird rights worthy it would eat away at our 16.7 million dollar cushion and put us a lil over 5 million OVER the luxury tax limit and would also make it impossible for us to re-sign Meeks and Hill without increasing that luxury tax limit even further. 

Edited by Majesty, April 08, 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#211 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,014 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 12:50 PM

We have 16,700,000 of breathing room for both Meeks and Hill's contracts as we have their bird rights.     That's 16,700,000 of extra space that doesn't go against our cap.  

look here, I broke it down. 

Thats why I'm against signing Melo , other than his defense and potential signing a superstar in Durant..

Our problem again is the C and PF .. And in your assumption that doesnt include Pau if we signed Melo, which i believe is a bad combination, let alone Kobe playing too. 

High pick and signing a defensive front court + our free agents + 1 or 2 FA+ healthy Kobe is good for me for next season..

• 40,556 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 08:34 PM

Tough [expletive] man. Still can't get any playing time even in these circumstances. Crazy.

yo.

#213 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,091 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 08:50 PM

Think we've seen enough of Wes to know what he brings.  Marshon should be getting a stretch down the stretch.  He goes from our leading 4th quarter scorer to DNPs and garbage time

#214 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,091 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 09:10 PM

^ Can even YOU defend MDA on that?

The only reason would be that Bazemore is the better defender etc.

But with no Bazemore and Wes inconsistent there's no reason that Brooks shouldn't be seeing some play time. 

#215 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted April 13, 2014 - 06:19 AM

The Brooks thing blows my mind.MDA WTF     I would only take Carmelo at a nice discount and he needs to bring a friend

#216 Majesty

Majesty

• 40,091 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:45 PM

YES! AT LEAST MARSHON FINALLY GOT A CHANCE TO PLAY TONIGHT! :rock:

He did? 

• 40,556 posts

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:54 PM

^ 35j9mh3.png

yo.

• 40,556 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 12:31 PM

So yeah, I think it's almost pretty safe to say Marshon will not be back. Sad seeing him up there today.

BlhtzanCEAAQoWR.jpg

- On his time here in L.A.
“I don’t feel like I played bad. I thought I played pretty well but guys started coming back and I was the odd man out in terms of minutes. I started to lose a little confidence not knowing my role or not knowing when I’d get in the game.”

- On if it was frustrating for him being in that situation:
“It’s the NBA. All you can do is work hard and control what you can control. You’re only as good as your opportunity.”

- On the feedback he received from Mike D’Antoni:
“He knew I was talented. Just have to find a way to play within the system instead of being just a talented one-on-one player.”

- On the past year playing for three different teams (Celtics, Warriors, Lakers):
“I’m at a crossroads. I just have to go earn a spot, which I don’t mind at all.”

- On what he needs to do to improve as a player:
“Just be more efficient with the ball. Just continue to work on my body and get stronger, become a better shooter and make things happen faster.”

5fe8fd74f552226a2483dc78ce761291_bigger.Serena Winters@SerenaWinters 21m
MarShon Brooks says plans after his meeting are to play on summer league team or mini-camp for somebody.

Full exit interview video here:

http://lakernation.c...d/#entry1540417

yo.

#219 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,805 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted April 18, 2014 - 12:32 PM

That didn't last long.

Thanks coach D'Antoni.
iyjywo.jpg