Photo

Hi from England - need your help re fouls!!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheJMan24

TheJMan24

Rookie

• 14 posts
  • Name:Jamie Cox
  • Fan Since:1984
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Kareem/Worthy

Posted February 18, 2014 - 11:20 AM

Hey guys

Huge Laker fan from the 80's when in England we used to get a highlights show on a saturday night so it was always the Magic v Bird show...and i chose Magic!!!

Always loved the sport but we had next to no coverage on tv but always followed the team results which has obviously been helped in the last 15 yrs or so by internet access.

We now have awesome tv coverage in the UK though. Been getting better over last 2-3 yrs but a new channel which launched here in about August 2013 called BT Sport now shows about 5-6 NBA games a week - had All Star game on live & our game v Houston is on this week as well as a few others.

Watching more & more Basketball now, even more than i watch Football (Soccer to you guys!!) so wanna learn more about the game & the fouls thing is something i cant quite grasp so thought i'd ask for some help!!!

Sometimes guys seem to be wrestling with loads of contact & nothing gets done, but then other times you only have to slightly touch a guy & its a foul!!!

What is the actual definition of a foul?? Have looked online & cant seem to find it anywhere?? Is it just excessive contact or is there another explantion??

Also, when a player is driving to the basket, is any contact from an oppostion player on the hand or arm automatically a foul??

Would love to watch a game with an American who would be able to help me out on stuff like this & explain the rules to me so hoping you guys can help me here as i'll start to enjoy the games even more!!

Go Lakers!! 

Edited by TheJMan24, February 18, 2014 - 11:25 AM.

#2 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,620 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted February 18, 2014 - 11:50 AM

Get NBA league pass and join us in the game day threads (it's pretty much like watching the game together if enough people are active).

And yeah, sometimes the officials let the guys play and don't call the physical activity, while some guys gets whistles blown for any touch foul. It's hardly ever consistent from game to game, and it gets on everyone's nerves. Just watch as much as you can and you'll get the hang of it.

#3 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,865 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted February 18, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Welcome to the boards man! Don't be hesitant to ask any questions, we have plenty of members who will attempt to answer them to the best of their ability.

You can read more about all of the different types of fouls here: http://www.nba.com/a...nav=ArticleList

To answer your question relating to the physicality of personal fouls, here are the main points:

• A player shall not hold, push, charge into, impede the progress of an opponent by extending a hand, forearm, leg or knee or by bending the body into a position that is not normal.
  • A dribbler shall not (1) charge into an opponent who has established a legal guarding position, or (2) attempt to dribble between two opponents, or (3) attempt to dribble between an opponent and a boundary, where sufficient space is not avail-able for illegal contact to be avoided.
  • A player who sets a screen shall not (1) assume a position nearer than a normal step from an opponent, if that opponent is stationary and unaware of the screener's position, or (2) make illegal contact with an opponent when he assumes a position at the side or front of an opponent, or (3) assume a position so near to a moving opponent that illegal contact cannot be avoided by the opponent without changing direction or stopping, or (4) move laterally or toward an opponent being screened, after having assumed a legal position.
  • a. If contact committed against a player, with or without the ball, is interpreted to be unnecessary, a flagrant foul--penalty (1) will be assessed. A personal foul is charged to the offender and a team foul is charged to the team.
  • A personal foul assessed against an offensive player which is neither an elbow, punching or flagrant foul shall be penalized in the following manner...
  • a. Illegal contact called on a player for punching is a personal foul and a team foul.

Basketball is a contact sport, it is the amount of contact which determines if it is a foul or not. Body on body without momentum (a player running full speed vs. a player who is stationary) is usually not a foul (shoulders bumping shoulders). If a player is in the act of shooting, their shot can only be altered by an opponent hitting the ball or putting hands in their face (not touching the face) -- if you slap their wrist or bump them while they are in the air, it is likely to be ruled a foul.

As you can see, it varies from situation to situation, but once you understand all of the rules, it is really just a matter of how excessive the force is.

Edited by -Wade-, February 18, 2014 - 11:56 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#4 TheJMan24

TheJMan24

Rookie

• 14 posts

Posted February 18, 2014 - 12:47 PM

Cheers guys, thanks a lot for the info. Suppose its like any sport, the more u watch it the more u start to understand it. Some of the fouls baffle me at times but the same goes for our main sport here, Football (Soccer).The referees seem to be really different, some like to blow their whistle for any little foul whereas others tend to try & let the game flow. Really we all want any sport to flow dont we, instead of being ruled by refereeing decisions!!!

Become a bit obsessed this season as there are so many games on tv here now so at last i can see plenty of action!!! I'm now on the Laker Forums, like this one, & have got all the different apps on my phone & i seem to be on them more than i am on my favourite other Sports!!!

I understand all about "tanking" now & think i know as much about the draft players like Wiggins, Embiid, Exum etc than the NBA guys!! Just typical that this is the best year for tv coverage in England & yet its our worst season ever!!!

I'm just hoping we start next season with a better team that can go places although i know injuries have crippled us this season. My ultimate ambition is to come over & watch a couple of games. The weather in England stinks at the moment & its cold & miserable all the time. Was even looking at flights recently to come over for a few days & watch a couple of home games but think i'll wait for a better team next year!!! And i couldnt come over & not see Kobe play!!!

Only bad thing is the coverage is in the middle of the night here. Got up in the early hours to watch the Heat game a few weeks ago when we did really well but for example, the Rockets game this week starts here at 3.30am - 6am & i have to be up at 7am for work!!! I may try & watch a little bit but will no doubt watch it delayed on thursday.

Looking forward to the trade deadline & then the Summer Draft to see what kind of team we have for 2014/15. Its time then that i caught a bit of the LA sun!!!!!!!!

#5 Jsmoove

Jsmoove

Rookie

• 247 posts
  • Fan Since:2009
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted February 20, 2014 - 01:15 PM

Welcome. It's nice to have another Brit on here. The more basketball you watch the better you will get at understanding the foul calls I used to have a hard time too but you pick it up quickly.

#6 TheJMan24

TheJMan24

Rookie

• 14 posts

Posted February 21, 2014 - 11:44 AM

Welcome. It's nice to have another Brit on here. The more basketball you watch the better you will get at understanding the foul calls I used to have a hard time too but you pick it up quickly.

Yeah, i'm getting there slowly but suppose its like football really, some refs baffle ya with some of their decisions!!!!!!!!!!!

Still want to watch a game with an American to explain it all to me!!!! Hopefully i'll have picked it all up by the time i have enough money to make the trip to LA!!!

#7 Jaime Quintanilla

Jaime Quintanilla

SI ME GUSTA!

• 4,327 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 21, 2014 - 10:12 PM

You guys are awesome. That's the way you welcome a fan to Laker Nation. Great job!

#8 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,312 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted February 22, 2014 - 12:11 AM

Always nice to welcome a die hard fan. Have fun here!

#9 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,363 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted February 22, 2014 - 10:03 AM

welcome to the family mate

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#10 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 01, 2014 - 03:11 AM

Welcome!

The North Remembers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users