• Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 16, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Kobe Bryant - 2014 NBA All Star Game Media Interview

#2 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,048 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:18 PM

This interview scares me. Not like I didn't expect kobes best days are behind him but coming out from him is a different story. Let's hope we can see him putting his career numbers next year.

#3 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,832 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:28 PM

If Kobe can actually take on the role of a leader/great role player a la Tim Duncan the Lakers will be fine.  Not contention wise but not this year like next year.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#4 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,048 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:55 PM

It all depends on how he plays when he comes back.

#5 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,832 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:26 PM

Even at his best last year he hasn't been a 2 way player since 2010.  He has to adapt or die. 

It all depends on how he plays when he comes back.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#6 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,509 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:31 PM

Even at his best last year he hasn't been a 2 way player since 2010. He has to adapt or die.

He still had it in him to put the locks on guys like Rus and Wall from time to time. He wasn't done on the defensive end completely until last season.

#7 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,048 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:40 PM

Even at his best last year he hasn't been a 2 way player since 2010.  He has to adapt or die. 

Nor would he ever be. That doesn't mean he has to take a lesser role ..

If he can be more than half of what he was last year thats a good sign.. He showed improvements in his game starting from his debut game till he got injured in the Memphis game.

I would only agree with you if we're signing LeBron.. Other than that he has to be the Kobe we would expect if the team is intending to make a run ...

And you guys are hoping high if you think he'd be a 2 way player.. If he can excel at something(scoring, assists) that would be more than enough...

Edited by fozi, February 16, 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#8 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,835 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:51 PM

man, kobe was playin at such a pace last season.. if he had a more cohesive unit, he was vying for MVP, imo.

Honestly, I see kobe being at 25 ppg at peak condition next year. His defense is going to be good in regards to help defense... one on one will be hard against quick and elite players

Edited by RobBlake, February 16, 2014 - 09:54 PM.

ap1.png

#9 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,517 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted February 16, 2014 - 10:02 PM

Kobe maybe bluffing just so people don't expect too much from him.

• 40,603 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for sharing OP. That was rather interesting and kinda sad.

yo.

#11 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,393 posts
  • Name:Stephen

Posted February 16, 2014 - 11:25 PM

Kobe maybe bluffing just so people don't expect too much from him.

My thoughts as well. Maybe he's trying a new trick this time around

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,106 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 16, 2014 - 11:35 PM

This will be Kobe's role when he comes back.

And he'll do great in it.  Better for himself personally too. 

Edited by Majesty, February 16, 2014 - 11:35 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#13 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 1,907 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 17, 2014 - 12:33 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with what he said. It's the recognition of his mortality and fear of more injuries that will keep him on the edge, working harder, eating properly and pace himself the right way to last 2 or 3 more years in the league. 

Impossible is nothing.

#14 Eds24

Eds24

Rookie

• 61 posts
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted February 17, 2014 - 01:44 AM

here is the follow up,a bit more upbeat 

#15 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 3,118 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:04 AM

I love that Kobe is honest. It's sad to hear, but at the same time it's positive that he clearly understands he may not be the same as he ever was. I don't doubt that he'll find a way to contribute to our team in the future. Whether if it's getting 25 points one night or 10 assists another. He's just way too smart of a basketball player to not figure out a way to win. 

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,106 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:20 AM

I bumped into Kobe as he headed to his press conference. "You're not announcing your retirement are you." His response: "(Bleep) that."

Make you feel better? =P 

#17 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,048 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:34 AM

I love that Kobe is honest. It's sad to hear, but at the same time it's positive that he clearly understands he may not be the same as he ever was. I don't doubt that he'll find a way to contribute to our team in the future. Whether if it's getting 25 points one night or 10 assists another. He's just way too smart of a basketball player to not figure out a way to win. 

The scary part that Kobe never sat out this long.. So its hard to assume he'd come back to the level we all hope for ..

I talked enough about this matter.. I can only wait and accept whatever level he can come back on lol..

#18 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,106 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:47 AM

The scary part that Kobe never sat out this long.. So its hard to assume he'd come back to the level we all hope for ..

I talked enough about this matter.. I can only wait and accept whatever level he can come back on lol..

thing is fozi, Kobe returned and was starting to round into form in about 3 games of his last longest layoff.  This injury isn't as devastating in recovery time before he can resume basketball activities. 

So Kobe will pretty much be able to pick up where he left off more or less.  Our point guards just have to stay healthy so he can stay in the off-ball role he was adapting before Blake had to go out. 

#19 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,048 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 02:55 AM

Yeah i mentioned that couple posts up. Kinda contradicting myself but I'm just having mixed feelings about it. However, Kobe's game against memphis was promising and as Stu said, (against Toronto if not mistaken) that Kobe would need at least 20-25 games to be back in shape. He needed 6 games to be in the right lane..

On the other hand, it took Kobe 6 games to get injured after sitting out around 8 months.. Even though it was a different injury, the only worrisome is that he might have more of them if his minutes is not controlled..

The approach of the coaching staff should be different than ever in terms of monitoring his minutes ..

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,106 posts

Posted February 17, 2014 - 03:12 AM

Yeah i mentioned that couple posts up. Kinda contradicting myself but I'm just having mixed feelings about it. However, Kobe's game against memphis was promising and as Stu said, (against Toronto if not mistaken) that Kobe would need at least 20-25 games to be back in shape. He needed 6 games to be in the right lane..

On the other hand, it took Kobe 6 games to get injured after sitting out around 8 months.. Even though it was a different injury, the only worrisome is that he might have more of them if his minutes is not controlled..

The approach of the coaching staff should be different than ever in terms of monitoring his minutes ..

The injury had more to do with him having to start creating again from the top of the key way too soon with Blake's departure to injury. 

Had Kobe been able to be brought along at the slow pace he was originally going to be he likely doesn't get injured.  But Blake going out and Mitch making the decision to "wait" on Farmar's return before finally going to get Marshall cost them. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kobe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users