8 replies to this topic

#1 hybrid_venombite

hybrid_venombite

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 16, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Lets start with saying this season is over and there is no point in Kobe coming back to worsen his injury. Second, I pray that Steve Nash retires because  he is truly useless  with this team. Injuries have plagued him and he is not the man from the Suns 5 years ago. Finally, we need to adjust our head coach position. We need a hybrid of defense and offense not one or the other. Also a coach who could handle marquee players such as a Kobe Bryant, Kevin Love, or Kevin Durant. A few coaches come to mind, Stan Van Gundy, Bryan Scott, and George Karl. With these things in effect, it can help our team prosper. We are in last place in the West and 4th worst overall in the league. With our remanding schedule I can honestly say we would win 10 more games, putting us at 28-54. Based off previous statistics and we stay in 4th worst we would have anywhere from a 6-12 percent chance of getting the first overall pick in the 2014 draft. Who would you draft with the first overall pick? 

If we land a top 3 pick my first goal would be to get on the phone with both Danny Ainge and Flip Saunders. If you catch my drift, I want to inquire about receiving Rondo and Kevin Love in some sort. Getting a high draft is nothing but hype because Anthony Bennet, Derrick Williams, Marvin Williams, and Tristan Thompson were all top 4 picks in previous drafts and are nothing more than role players. We need transcendent talent and Rajon Rondo and Kevin Love and provide that. With Rondo ability to be a court captain, play defense and be the quarterback shows his value. Kevin Love the best power forward in the game, can post, rebound, pass, pick and pop and hit the three. Just imagine he and Rondo's chemistry. Which bring me to this point. How to get a deal like this done with only one first round pick? Well, we have a   valuable Pau Gasol who can command a first round pick. I would seriously consider the Phoenix Suns deal. Emeka Okafor and the Wizards 1st round for Pau. Sounds pretty good doesn't it? It does considering we are headed nowhere, but the abyss this season anyway. We need to dismantle it all. The only players currently on the roster I would bring back are Jordan Farmar, Swaggy P(absolutely love this guy), Jordan Hill and Kobe. Alot of you are saying, but where is Kendall Marshall? Assuming we call Danny Ainge, Marshall would be apart of the Rondo trade along with a 2014 first round pick. If all this fails, I would absolutely sit threw another bad season because and one year deals because the 2015 free agent class is phenomenal. If Mitch is looking in that direction I would not be angry with him because we could just sign Rondo and Love. After those signings we would need to find personnel that fits. Tyson Chandler, Marc Gasol, Gerald Green, Landry Fields and Amir Johnson are all great role players who could be potential targets. By the 2015-2016 season we will be ready to compete for championship and returning to our glory.

2015-16 Starting lineup

Rajon Rondo

Kobe Bryant

Landry Fields

Kevin Love

Tyson Chandler

Nick Young(6th man)

#2 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,175 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Welcome to the forum. Hope you like it here.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#3 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted February 16, 2014 - 02:09 PM

Even if somehow Boston lands out of the top 5 in this draft and we get 1-3, I don't see them trading it for Rondo who is established as a perennial All Star PG injuries worries or not. Although obtaining Love through that means actually sounds more reasonable if they determine he is going to leave no matter what.

Through FA your plan appears sound if there was no cap. Tyson Chandler's Dallas championship run severely inflated is value in the NBA, Love and Rondo would command max if not near max deals. I just don't see it.

Someone correct me on this but I recall in some previous interviews by NBA personnel they mentioned probability that the 2014 will increase to about 76 million like planned, but 2015 ceiling might have a much higher ceiling than expected.

Edited by Ven, February 16, 2014 - 02:10 PM.

#4 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,092 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 16, 2014 - 05:36 PM

That's why the team of veteran stars idea does not work unless many sacrifices are made.  Kobe making $20+ at age 36 kinda blows up the plan from the get go.  You need some young cheap talent mixed in there.

And for every Anthony Bennett and Tristan Thompson (notice a commonality there?) as a "bust" #1 pick there is an Anthony Davis,  John Wall, Blake Griffin, Shaq, Iverson, James, Howard etc.  So yes, you can build through the draft, this year more than ever.

Debbie Downer

#5 hybrid_venombite

hybrid_venombite

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 16, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Yes, normally I would agree to build through the draft, but with Kobe at 36 and only 2 more years, we need established stars already. We do not have time for a 19-20 your kid to come and have to learn the game. Guys like Kyrie, Monroe, Love, and Klay Thompson are young stars who can make an immediate impact upon entering LA if we decide to pursue those guys. 

^ The Chemist:  Tyson Chandler will be 32 when his contract is up so I doubt if he would be worth 14 million still. The issue does come with Rondo and Love's contract. However Love is similar to Tim Duncan and I believe he would take a pay cut to win in LA.

#6 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,092 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 17, 2014 - 05:46 AM

Yes, normally I would agree to build through the draft, but with Kobe at 36 and only 2 more years, we need established stars already. We do not have time for a 19-20 your kid to come and have to learn the game. Guys like Kyrie, Monroe, Love, and Klay Thompson are young stars who can make an immediate impact upon entering LA if we decide to pursue those guys. 

^ The Chemist:  Tyson Chandler will be 32 when his contract is up so I doubt if he would be worth 14 million still. The issue does come with Rondo and Love's contract. However Love is similar to Tim Duncan and I believe he would take a pay cut to win in LA.

Well I cant accept the premise that building around Kobe is a good idea.  The numbers dont lie:

-Not counting this year, he has now played 17 years plus heavy playoff time

-Total minutes played now exceeds 54,0000

-There are only 4 players who have ever played more total minutes in the NBA- except for Jason Kidd they are all big men and all 4 are retired

How can we build around that?  Kobe is an "old" 36 given the mileage he has on him.  He is a remarkable athlete (assuming he can get healthy again) but he cannot be the cornerstone of the team going forward.  A healthy Kobe needs to be playing 20-25 minutes/ game going forward.

-

Debbie Downer

#7 OhBoyNatural

OhBoyNatural

Rookie

• 21 posts
  • Name:Wyt
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Eddie Jones

Posted February 27, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Kobe's contract really crippled us for the next 2 1/2 season but much can be done.

-Get a top 4 pick IMO is a perennial All-Star. We'll say pick Exum because he'll likely go 4th and wants to be a Laker according to report

-Sign Deng maybe 8-9mil

-Re-Sign Pau to vets minimum or let him walk

-fill with 1 year deals like last year in order to prep for summer

2015 obviously sign Love and go after Asik on a good deal

My ideal 2015 roster

Exum/Marshall

Kobe/Henry

Deng/Young

Love/Pau?

Asik/Sacre

#8 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 644 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 03:50 PM

with Kobe at 36 and only 2 more years, we need established stars already. 

We have to get a player for the next decade, not the next two years.

#9 TheFloyd72

TheFloyd72

Rookie

• 30 posts
  • Fan Since:88
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 19, 2014 - 06:16 AM

I say keep the draft pick and draft a contributor now/cornerstone for the future. If Nash were to retire we would have close to 35-40 mil to retain our bench guys and sign some very good players like Monroe, Lowry, or Deng. If we get two players at that level, draft Randle or Exum, and hire a good coach I would call this a great offseason.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users