24 replies to this topic

#21 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 12, 2014 - 01:33 PM

Always been curious as to what you do for a living Real Deal? It's obviously something really complex and time-consuming since I know for someone like you, it would take a lot to limit your activity around these here parts of the town.

Well, since I was 16, I've been a self-employed computer technician and web designer, but over the last eight months, I've been employed by a maintenance supply company, a distributor, as a system admin and marketing director...but over the last 2-3 months, they incorporated billing (which was only done by their owner, for 29 years) and a small part of purchasing. The three owners, two of which are always in the office, are putting a couple of guys into place to run the company in 5-6 years, and as it stands, eight months in, I'm doing nearly everything anyone in the company can do, aside from actually driving our trucks and delivering products (which is what we have warehouse guys for).

Being self-employed was great, but my town is pretty damn small, and at one point, I had a lot of customers...but I wasn't half-ass'ing my job JUST to get callbacks. Because I didn't, I had less work, and because my rates were basically running all the other techs into the ground, it eventually hurt me. It happens, and before I made the decision to finally increase those rates, I ran into the opportunity above.

#22 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 01:34 PM

if u need me to post some nice gifs i will, bring back the other site homie.

Haha, I know you would.

got_the_best_friends.gif

#23 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,247 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted April 12, 2014 - 01:37 PM

Well then, that's understandable. Good luck with that if you're seeing it as something long-term.

I personally think it would be perfect to transform the site after the draft, free agency and coaching changes that will potentially take place within the organization. Just an overall nice refresh to the team and to the forums simultaneously would be perfect. Because we do need a new banner and I assume we will need a new one when the update takes place, but I think right now there isn't a rush especially since most of the staff seems busy.

If you were to sit down and do it today, how long would it take?
EAT
SLEEP
CONQUER
REPEAT

#24 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,860 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 02:08 PM

It really depends on what all we were wanting to incorporate into the overall design, and what capabilities we want to feature. If I'm really driven, and I isolate myself from the rest of the world (and I've done that before, lol), I can get it all done in a couple of days. That's including me having to design a skin from scratch (from the default IPB skin), reinstall modifications with the new board software, convert what's needed, etc.

• 40,377 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 06:11 PM

That's awesome RD. You gave the best answers anyone could ever possibly ask for. Completely understand and totally respect you as I always have, but even more. I thought maybe you received or could receive a bit more help from others, but seeing as how pretty much everything is on you, you take your time. Again, apologies for the hassle, but was just curious and you satisfied that curiosity and more. Thanks again.

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users