Photo

Steve Nash: The Finish Line (Episode 3, Pg. 2) Nash: "I won't retire because I want the money"

Steve Nash Cap figure finish line

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,101 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 14, 2014 - 02:40 AM

Waive/stretch him and with the difference of salary next year pursue Lowry. We aren't gonna scratch his back and pursue title. This is it.

Why would you stretch him at this point? 

Edited by Majesty, March 14, 2014 - 02:41 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#42 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 02:59 AM

What do you mean by at this point? What else is there?

#43 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,101 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 03:02 AM

What do you mean by at this point? What else is there?

If you stretch him you add salary over the next few seasons. Why not just have all 9 of it off after next season?  

#44 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 04:30 AM

It's like you didn't read my post at all.

#45 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,248 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 14, 2014 - 04:45 AM

Now it really doesn't make a difference what we do with his money. It sits on the books no matter what. Only difference it makes is openeing a roster spot.
Posted Image

#46 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,101 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 04:50 AM

Now it really doesn't make a difference what we do with his money. It sits on the books no matter what. Only difference it makes is openeing a roster spot.

hence why stretching him is no point.  let him work hard and see if he can come back at all next year. Aside from trading him that's all we should do at this point. 

• 40,400 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 07:45 AM

Do you have a problem with his *statement* about taking the money, even though he's not producing?  

I do. Broke-down b***h.  

Now everyone else knows it was a bad deal, too.  Good.  

When keeping it real goes wrong. Here's a clear case of too much honesty. Nash had to have been smart enough to know that that kind of statement would piss a lot of fans off even more.

yo.

#48 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 161 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 14, 2014 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for the link, West Coast.  Not sure why you weren't able to post that the first time, but whatever. Someone should delete the other thread. 

#49 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 161 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 14, 2014 - 09:16 AM

I'm not saying that Steve Nash needs to give back any money, nor am I changing my mind to say the FO was 'smart' to deal for him in the first place, because that most definitely is not the case.

Even with the injury, I'm not going to sit here and argue that Nash doesn't deserve $9M/year.  Injuries are a part of the game, and as history has shown everyone but the Lakers, injuries are more common with aging players.  What I am saying, though, is that Nash was not then worth anywhere close to TWO 1st-round picks, regardless of how shallow you projected a particular draft to be, to say nothing of the guaranteed 2nd-round picks that were also included.  

The fact that he was overvalued by the Laker brass is not his fault.  But to sit there collecting a check acting like he was some tremendous asset to this team comes across as, well, like the wailing of the perpetual loser.  That doesn't mean he's any less of a competitor, but he's definitely more of a loser than I ever considered him to be prior to these thoughts that were expressed in his own words.  

#50 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,122 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 14, 2014 - 09:25 AM

It's obvious he's just collecting money at this point. But that's just a statement you don't make. I never was too happy when they traded for Nash. Ramon sessions was nice IMO. Clearly that statement he made will not sit well with many fans. That's so disrespectful (SAS voice)

#51 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,964 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 09:53 AM

I wonder if Kobe will come out and say it's about his ego and narcissism now.

#52 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,600 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted March 14, 2014 - 10:05 AM

I feel for him but he's done. Stay home. raise the kids. find a hobby.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#53 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,490 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 10:07 AM

At least he's honest. I'd rather he not be here next season and we save the money but there's no way in hell I'd turn down 9.7 million dollars either.....

#54 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,534 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 10:26 AM

i love and respect nash but him saying none of us would pass up on that kind of money is irrelevant, most of us will never see million anyways, and if we are destroying our body for some pay it's because we most likely simply can't afford to retire, majority of people aren't doing work they truly love and enjoy, that\s reality.

nash can afford to retire, he has TONS of opportunities to continue making money after retirement; coaching, making his own short films, tv analyst, he's a funny guy i'm sure he could land some roles in movies too

bw1wOGf.png

• 40,400 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 10:32 AM

No video available yet, but Skip Bayless was blasting Nash for this earlier today on First Take.

yo.

#56 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 782 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted March 14, 2014 - 11:04 AM

and I have certainly passed up that much money and more, if you consider how much it was in relation to how much he has earned and how much I've passed up in relation to what I've earned.

plus as I said earlier, he wouldn't even be passing it up since he would have been paid anyway so it was really dumb for him to say that..

i love and respect nash but him saying none of us would pass up on that kind of money is irrelevant, most of us will never see million anyways, and if we are destroying our body for some pay it's because we most likely simply can't afford to retire, majority of people aren't doing work they truly love and enjoy, that\s reality.

nash can afford to retire, he has TONS of opportunities to continue making money after retirement; coaching, making his own short films, tv analyst, he's a funny guy i'm sure he could land some roles in movies too

#57 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted March 14, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Like I said.....Nash is robbing the Lakers now.

• 40,400 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 12:07 PM

BistHQiCMAEIvJv.jpg

yo.

#59 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,101 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 12:10 PM

I really hate that people are focused on that one statement.  I listened to Mike and Mike this morning and they deliberately edited out the rest of his entire point. 

His entire point was that he is in a place right now where he could basically sit back and just take the money and say he's 'not feeling it' today and just ride out the rest of his contract.  But that he's out there and he's busting his butt every single day to play for the money he wants.   HE wants to play but he also wants the money from the contract and he said basically if that was what it was all about he wouldn't have to work as hard as he has, he could just "not feel it" every day for the next year and take the money and leave.  But that he isn't doing that and is working extremely hard to come back.   He said then that he also won't retire because he wants the money.  It was a full statement, not a blanket "this is the ONLY reason why I'm doing it" statement like they edited it down to on ESPN cutting out the entire rest of his statement(poorly I might add). 

Those are ALL things he said but they focused on the last statement because that's the more interesting story.

It was funny because on Mike and Mike they were saying "See.. Nash could have said this (some statement about working hard to come back etc etc  etc) and it would have been fine and I'd have no problem. " 

And I sat back listening going "That's exactly what he said before the excerpt you used."    smh. Oh that ESPN. 

Edited by Majesty, March 14, 2014 - 12:11 PM.

• 40,400 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 12:11 PM

There's no defending that statement Maj. None. It was point blank stupid to say. Not stupid to feel. Not at all, but to say, c'mon man.

yo.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steve, Nash, Cap, figure, finish, line

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users