Photo

Steve Nash: The Finish Line (Episode 3, Pg. 2) Nash: "I won't retire because I want the money"

Steve Nash Cap figure finish line

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted February 13, 2014 - 11:42 AM

Great read and makes you think for a second about Nash the person more than Nash the cap figure. 

This is the accompanying column for the Steve Nash video series The Finish Line. If you want to watch the video before reading the piece, click here.

2014: $9,300,500
2015: $9,701,000

Steve Nash wears no. 10 for the Lakers, but it’s really 9.3. Next season, that turns into 9.7. Those are the numbers Lakers fans see. They see a walking cap figure.

You can’t blame them for feeling that way. The Internet changed the way we consume professional basketball. Whenever Blake Griffin unleashes a hellacious dunk, you can locate it on YouTube within eight minutes. If you’re dreaming about your favorite team stealing Kyrie Irving from the foundering Cavs, you can create fake Kyrie trades on the Trade Machine for hours. If you want to find every NBA salary from LeBron James to James Johnson, Sham Sports has them shaded in multiple colors.

Adam Silver once told me his league had evolved into a 10-month sport: from preseason (October) all the way through free agency and summer league (end of July). He was half-complaining, half-bragging and 100 percent amazed. But only the NBA offers a five-week stretch after its championship that’s nearly as interesting as the actual Finals. It’s a nonstop frenzy of mock drafts, calculated leaks, fake trades, unsubstantiated rumors, misleading tweets and hopeful executives knocking on front doors at 12:01 a.m., with everything feeding off the collective sophistication of the fans. Believe me, we didn’t always inhale summer that way. Right after ESPN.com hired me in 2001, I wrote a column handing out Boogie Nights quotes as “awards” for the NBA’s best and worst offseason signings. I didn’t have a feel for ESPN’s readers yet.

Will this piece go over people’s heads? Is there too much salary stuff in here? Do people care? Is this too nerdy? How many readers actually give a crap?

Read the it all here

http://grantland.com...he-finish-line/

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#2 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,190 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 13, 2014 - 11:46 AM

Read it

Hate it
Hate bill Simmons...

It's like bill Simmons is trolling the lakers and their fans... Feeding Nash garbage to get him to burn the lakers...

Bill Simmons is the last person any laker should talk to... In fact... If I owned the lakers, espn would be branded a enemy propaganda outlet... And would be banned...

Hope some other GM reads it, calls in love with Nash, and trades for him

#3 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,232 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted February 13, 2014 - 12:07 PM

I swear to god I was rooting for him all of last week as well. I also tuned in to watch all of the games he played in...

I think those Tankaholics see Nash as "Cap Figure Nash", instead of one of the greatest point guards to play the game...

#4 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,232 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted February 13, 2014 - 12:08 PM

Read it

Hate it
Hate bill Simmons...

It's like bill Simmons is trolling the lakers and their fans... Feeding Nash garbage to get him to burn the lakers...

Bill Simmons is the last person any laker should talk to... In fact... If I owned the lakers, espn would be branded a enemy propaganda outlet... And would be banned...

Hope some other GM reads it, calls in love with Nash, and trades for him

Look, if he's talking about any other player then I would call Simmons bluff. But we're talking about Steve Nash here.

#5 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted February 13, 2014 - 12:11 PM

not a bad read.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#6 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I swear to god I was rooting for him all of last week as well. I also tuned in to watch all of the games he played in...

I think those Tankaholics see Nash as "Cap Figure Nash", instead of one of the greatest point guards to play the game...

Actually, the tankaholics believe he's done, but nothing can hurt his legacy just like every other great player. I personally would love for him to be prove everyone wrong. But age is a big obstacle for everyone.

Edited by Ham, February 13, 2014 - 12:14 PM.

#7 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,201 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 13, 2014 - 12:33 PM

He's done. Plain and simple. Was he great? Yes now he's done.

#8 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,073 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:00 PM

"Lakers make lots of bad decisions, but Steve Nash is my friend, so,they should keep him around. My friendship with Steve helps to legitimize me in NBA circles and Steve provides me with unique insight into players lives. I have trashed Kobe Bryant for not being ready to hang it up in the future, while he was still one of the top 5 players in the game. But I am producing a video of Steve Nash, about how hard he is working off the court, so he can personally justify taking $10 million from the Lakers next year, even though he probably won't play 15 games this year. Stupid Lakers fans don't appreciate how much he is going through for that $10 million. Especially not the single mothers who take bus to their menial jobs every day, so they can try and put clothes on their children's backs. "

- Troll Simmons

Edited by UKUGA, February 13, 2014 - 01:01 PM.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#9 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,000 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:51 PM

Steve Nash is a Hall of Fame player that will be remembered as one of the greatest point guards to play the game. 

With that said, he's done now. NBA is a business. The Lakers are not obligated to keep Nash just so he can continue to support his family. 

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 39,948 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:57 PM

The Video 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#11 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,553 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 01:58 PM

With that said, he's done now. NBA is a business. The Lakers are not obligated to keep Nash just so he can continue to support his family. 

With all due respect, doesn't he make millions? Isn't that enough to support a family...

#12 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,000 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 02:00 PM

With all due respect, doesn't he make millions? Isn't that enough to support a family...

I would definitely think so haha.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 39,948 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 13, 2014 - 02:04 PM

quote from here about how Nash feels about it 

Within a few seconds, he was spilling everything. He hated being a cap figure. He hated that his teammates only knew him two ways: as the quarterback of those delightful Suns teams, and as the banged-up geezer who was barely hanging on. He spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about basketball and his body, and not in that order, coming to the conclusion that he couldn’t retire yet. He wasn’t sure if that stubbornness was fueled by denial or hubris, or both. He wondered if the same trait that made so many athletes great — supreme confidence at all times — was their mortal enemy in moments like this. He didn’t trust his own instincts.

Did he have anything left … or did he just WANT to have something left? And how could he tell the difference?

He wouldn’t know for sure unless he killed himself to come back. And that’s what he had been doing, Steve Nash said. For weeks and weeks. He figured he could play quality basketball once a week. But in the NBA, you need to do that three or four times a week. That’s the subtle difference between being productive and being a scrub. He found that more frustrating than anything, Nash confided — being able to get there every once in a while, just not all the time.

I mean … who couldn’t identify with that?

As if that’s not a good enough wrinkle, here’s one more: Nash spent a good deal of energy, legal and financial, to guarantee his children would be raised in Los Angeles. He doesn’t want to move them again. When we talked that first night, he mentioned the “stretch provision,” a newish cap wrinkle that allows the Lakers to waive Nash’s final year, then “stretch” his $9.7 million cap number over as many as four years.6 It’s a fancy way for the Lakers, or any bumbling NBA team, to dilute the impact of a damaging contract. Nash believed the “stretch” buyout was a looming threat — if it happened, he’d probably retire unless the Clippers wanted him.

We stayed in touch over the next few weeks, as Nash rehabbed his back in Vancouver and eventually returned to the Lakers’ lineup in Minnesota. I have to admit, I expected the worst. But he dished out nine assists and looked like the old Nash crossed with Old Nash. On his birthday a few nights later, he scored 19 during an encouraging performance in Philly. Less than 48 hours later, he tweaked his leg against Chicago. Now he’s day-to-day. Maybe when you’re 40, you’re always day-to-day. Regardless, I couldn’t believe how much I was pulling for him last week. Cap Figure Nash had morphed into Real Person Nash — the guy trying to save his career, his contract, his family and his inordinately special gift. I didn’t see 9.3 and 9.7 anymore. I saw only no. 10.

Whether Lakers fans follow suit remains to be seen.

A shame such hard work is glossed over.  For an organization whose fans bashed Bynum at every turn for being 'lazy' and we bash Gasol for sitting out with a cold, yet they turn their nose up at Nash whom is the definition of hard work when the cold hard truth is he doesn't have to do [expletive]. He could sit out the year and wait for the Lakers to stretch him.  But he's not. And he gets no credit. 

Edited by Majesty, February 13, 2014 - 02:10 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#14 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,201 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted February 13, 2014 - 02:08 PM

Feed the family- Latrell sprewell

• 40,548 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 02:54 PM

yet they turn their nose up at Nash whom is the definition of hard work when the cold hard truth is he doesn't have to do [expletive]. He could sit out the year and wait for the Lakers to stretch him.  But he's not. And he gets no credit. 

I wouldn't say "no credit". He's gotten' some, but at this point now he's just obviously overdoing it & exaggerating. He's more than reached the selfish as well as delusional stage. See my post regarding the selfishness for further elaboration in the other Nash thread if curious enough...

yo.

#16 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,190 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 13, 2014 - 03:01 PM

Espn and bill are trolling the lakers hard

#17 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,000 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 03:19 PM

He could sit out the year and wait for the Lakers to stretch him.  But he's not. And he gets no credit. 

If he decided to do that, there could be a possibility of Lakers trading him (not saying the FO would do that or that another team would be willing to take his contract though). 

Nash even stated "he spend a good deal of energy for his children to be raised in LA...he doesn't want to move his family again."

So of course he's going to work hard.

#18 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 803 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted February 13, 2014 - 03:28 PM

They were being bashed because they deserved to be. What Nash is doing is what he should be doing; it's his freaking job and he's getting paid extremely well for it. 

How many other people in this world have back/nerve problems that fight through it so than can go work a job like pouring concrete or stocking shelves.  

Every single player in the NBA should work as hard. When they don't they should be ripped, and when they do they don't deserve a medal for it.

A shame such hard work is glossed over.  For an organization whose fans bashed Bynum at every turn for being 'lazy' and we bash Gasol for sitting out with a cold, yet they turn their nose up at Nash whom is the definition of hard work when the cold hard truth is he doesn't have to do [expletive]. He could sit out the year and wait for the Lakers to stretch him.  But he's not. And he gets no credit. 

#19 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,234 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted February 13, 2014 - 03:32 PM

What hit me the hardest was when Nash talked about an athlete losing his physical abilities. How it's almost like a death since that's what you had your whole life around and now you physically just can't do what you used to at the level you want. As someone that has played in sports my whole life on teams up till college I can feel that and when the dream is over it does suck no lie.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#20 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted February 13, 2014 - 03:53 PM

When he talked about what Young said; that's a bummer for'em.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steve, Nash, Cap, figure, finish, line

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users