17 replies to this topic

#1 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,855 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 01, 2014 - 03:20 PM

Who NEEDS it badder for legacies, etc and not be seen as a failure or underacheivers

Paul George-Hibbert-West

Cp3-Blake-Doc

James Harden-Dwight

KD-RW-Brooks-

LBJ-Wade-Bosh

Splash Bros-Mark Jackson

How would the Heat look long term with 2 rings...considering

Kobe-6

What if any of the other retire without rings or those groups are separated before they get to a ring...which looks worse?

I think Clips then Rockets . if OKC doesn't win... the Harden thing will linger

#2 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,882 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted February 01, 2014 - 03:28 PM

If KD and RW don't start winning some rings, it will take away from their legacies.

I also think the difference between Kobe tying Jordan for rings and having less rings will say something about his legacy.

If LeBron doesn't win any more rings, it will take away from his legacy.

Who needs it the most? I think it is a toss-up.

Edited by -Wade-, February 01, 2014 - 03:29 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#3 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,994 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted February 01, 2014 - 03:35 PM

LBJ-Wade-Bosh; might as well refer to as simply Lebron's legacy. Wade probably is a HOF, but won't make much of a difference at this point as far legacy, Bosh whether a HOF can be debated back and forth. But Lebron if he wants that claim of all time great, well a three peat will go a long way.

Pacers are just starting, and since that franchise has never won anything, whenever they even win one will be great, so pressure is less for them. Same for GS, they are young and low expectations as far as championships.

I'll definitely say it is Lebron, closely followed by OKC and Durant, if they don't start winning now, Brooks will probably be fired, Westbrook can become questioned if they regress when he comes back, plenty of factors to look at. A distant third would be Houston, maybe not to win it all but to go far, Howard and his claim as a winner, the cloud of uncertainty of McHale as a coach, and if they don't start accomplishing more then they for sure will start making changes.

Edited by Ven, February 01, 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#4 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 01, 2014 - 03:42 PM

KD needs a ring so he just isn't remembered as a scoring machine.

Lebron needs more rings for the simple fact people compare him to jordan but 2 is no where close to 6.

Kobe needs more rings because a lot of the public say he won 3 just becuase of shaq, so he doesnt get the respect he deserves.

As far as the other guys go, rings will only be gravy on top of their legacy. None of the others on the list really are thought to be all time greats so rings really aren't vital to their final story. In the case of Lebron and Kobe who are thought to be greats, rings is what really determine where they fall in the rankings. If durant stays on progressing and is thought to have the ability to be a great he needs a ring or two to show that.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#5 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,882 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted February 01, 2014 - 03:47 PM

KD needs a ring so he just isn't remembered as a scoring machine.

This. What is KD going to be remembered for if he doesn't win any rings?

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#6 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,994 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 03:51 PM

Well realistically how many rings do we expect Durant to win in his career? I have to think it will always be Lebron chasing Jordan, him not three peating or another Finals loss I think removes him indefinitely from that discussion.

Edited by Ven, February 01, 2014 - 03:52 PM.

#7 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 05:15 PM

Well realistically how many rings do we expect Durant to win in his career? I have to think it will always be Lebron chasing Jordan, him not three peating or another Finals loss I think removes him indefinitely from that discussion.

Good point. It does matter a lot to Lebron since that is who he is chasing. However, isn't Durant trying to stay on the heels of Lebron right now? Durant will inevitable be trying to carve his place as one of the greats he needs some bling just as bad as lebron needs some more I would say.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, February 01, 2014 - 05:16 PM.

#8 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,855 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted February 01, 2014 - 05:30 PM

No one said Doc Rivers and Chris Paul.
Interesting.

#9 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,769 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 05:38 PM

Actually I'll go for Durant, then LeBron, doc rivers, then Kobe.

Edit. LeBron needs it more than durant

Edited by fozi, February 01, 2014 - 05:40 PM.

#10 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,647 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted February 01, 2014 - 06:52 PM

The thing is, most of these teams that don't win in the next 2 years will break down. Role players will start leaving and stars will either decline or start seeing injuries. I don't see a team like the Clippers or Rockets competing for the next decade, even though they're not necessarily small market teams.

#11 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,450 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 06:58 PM

Interesting.

I think cp3 needs a ring.

#12 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,994 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Interesting.

Well what is their legacy? I don't think people ever bring them up, such as CP3 to win, if fact some great PG's never really win at all or only until the very end. Doc is already a champion.

Griffin even though is very popular and a first overall pick even at this stage, people don't bring him up to become a champion which is kind of weird I think myself.

#13 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,647 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted February 01, 2014 - 08:50 PM

The entire league takes the Clippers as a joke, not only Laker fans. Anytime contention is brought up, you hear the Heat and the Pacers and the Thunder. The Spurs are always in and out of talks.

The Rockets, Warriors, and Clippers are all on that same boat. Great, young, talented core of players that respect their coach entirely. I just don't think anyone takes them especially seriously as championship contending teams. If you look at how these teams are built, they look like they'd be a powerhouse in some way, but I don't see them winning it all.

If LeBron were to lose this year, it would damage his already damaged legacy. With Wade not looking like he's gonna have a gloriously long career, LeBron has to do something to make sure he can be in contention after this year. He's definitely gonna try recruiting anyone he can, but I have no clue how their cap space situation looks like right now. 

KD and RW are still incredibly young, but it does seem like this can be the year that they make their mark in history. While is KD playing on another level, Westbrook is still injured. To me, their championship window is as long as those two stay together in OKC. If they don't win anything by the time Westbrook is ready to test out free agency, then Westbrook will dash out and try elsewhere. 

#14 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,768 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted February 01, 2014 - 09:45 PM

This. What is KD going to be remembered for if he doesn't win any rings?

Dominique Wilkins, Tracy McGrady, etc.  

#15 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,320 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 01, 2014 - 11:12 PM

Harden-Bizarro are never going to win a ring.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#16 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,116 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 02:57 AM

Where is Melo? Lol. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

Of that bunch, KD needs it the most not Lebron. Doing 3peat is extremely hard, hell even going to 4 finals in a row is a success on its own. KD, ever since Thunder blooming against us in 2010, is chasing Lebron's shadow. Now he has the chance to break out of it with getting MVP and ring. Who is to say people won't put them in same sentence 10 years from now? Every chance he wastes now, he will regret. He has the team to back him up, so he needs to act.

Edited by Tensai, February 02, 2014 - 03:00 AM.

#17 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 09:14 AM

Dominique Wilkins, Tracy McGrady, etc.  

Or if he wins some rings he could be in the convo of the greats like Bird, Magic, etc

Goes to show how much some jewelry would really help KD's legacy.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, February 02, 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#18 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 467 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted February 02, 2014 - 02:55 PM

LeBron needs it the most. After all the hype he got since rookie year he should get at least 3-4 rings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users