Photo

Will the Knicks land Russell Westbrook in blockbuster trade?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,391 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 30, 2014 - 10:57 PM

This basically

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=q3otyj6

Anyway I'm sure this article will send Knicks fans in a frenzy hoping it will happen.   

They are likely hoping in the midst of this Kevin Durant "future of this team without Westbrook" craze that the can trick OKC into doing this but read =p 

A Realistic Trade for Russell Westbrook That Would Save the New York Knicks
3.JPG

Their struggles are not representative of a systematic breakdown like so many other disappointing teams in the Eastern Conference, such as having a terribly mismatched roster (Detroit Pistons), being a bit too old (Brooklyn Nets) or being a bit too young (Cleveland Cavaliers).

Instead, the Knicks' struggles can be easily fixed by addressing two main issues: an unhealthy frontcourt and inconsistent point-guard play. Both of these issues can be addressed in one fell swoop by acquiring Russell Westbrookfrom the Oklahoma City Thunder. I am not suggesting either a fantasy trade for New York that Oklahoma City would never agree to or something that would not be possible under the NBA's salary-cap rules. 

Rather, there is a realistic trade possibility that would both catapult the Thunder into the driver's seat in the Western Conference and position the Knicks to challenge theIndiana Pacers and Miami Heat in the East: Russell Westbrook, Kendrick Perkins and a future second-round draft pick for Tyson Chandler, Iman Shumpert, Raymond Felton and the right to swap future first-round draft picks.

Why the Thunder Would Do It

Beyond any doubt, one of the main drags on the Thunder's starting lineup has been Perkins. His general lack of athleticism is not a fit with the fast-paced Thunder. This would be cured tenfold with the addition of Chandler, an athletic rim protector who will provide the team protection when Serge Ibaka strays out of the paint. 

Also, any veteran leadership lost with Perkins would be made up for with former NBA champion Changer. At the same time, Shumpert would fill a need for an athletic two-guard and Felton can slide in and provide depth as the backup point guard.

While Westbrook has been out injured, Reggie Jackson has played at an extremely high level and appears ready to take over as the regular starting point guard. This will more than soften the blow of losing Westbrook. Plus, cutting ties with him now would once and for all quiet the "can Kevin Durant and Westbrook co-exist" talkthat seems to distract the team every postseason.

Why the Knicks would do it

http://sports.yahoo....00701--nba.html

Now....I think that OKC would laugh at that trade unless they really REALLY thought there wasn't a future in a Westbrook/Durant duo. 

That or they would hope that OKC is really REALLY buying into Reggie Jackson.  

So their offer would be Chandler, Shumpert, Felton, for Perkins and Westbrook?  

Really.... 

I've no doubt the Knicks will read this and actually try this desperate as they are.

Your thoughts? 

Edited by Majesty, January 30, 2014 - 11:00 PM.

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#2 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 1,621 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:00 PM

There's literally zero reason for OKC to do that. Even if they didn't believe in the Westbrook/Durant duo which would be ridiculous not to, Westbrook is locked in through 2017. There would be no benefit to trading him away for peanuts, especially right now......

#3 Icker

Icker

Superstar

• 7,969 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:00 PM

OKC can get soooooo much more for Westbook, like the Lakers's 6th draft pick and Pau Gasol :)

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,571 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:04 PM

It is just unlikely because even if it might seem to work on paper on a basketball sense given Durant's recent takeover, no GM would want to be known as the guy to trade Westbrook.

In reality this is all coming because Reggie Jackson has been solid for them but that is deceiving, because no matter what people say over Durant and Westbrook sharing the ball, no way can you say having Jackson running PG over Westbrook a good idea, especially in the playoffs were teams will focus on Durant, OKC doesn't have offensive depth with the likes of Thabo, Perkins and Collison. Westbrook is needed, plus Felton this season has lost a step and is a subpar average I prefer our PG's over him, everyone always brings up Shumpert as a vital trading piece as if teams are fighting over him, I get he young and solid at defense but he isn't someone who teams consider a must have player, and Chandler while tempting still feels like holding your breath when he lands awkwardly and I don't think him and Ibaka will get good spacing.

In the end if OKC decided they'd move Westbrook, they would get much better offers than this from NY.

Edited by Ven, January 30, 2014 - 11:05 PM.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,391 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:09 PM

Must say it would make the East much more interesting and would require point guards like Kyrie and John Wall to actually step their game up cause they wouldn't be making all-star teams if Westbrook was out there.  Ultimately that would proabably be enough to get Carmelo to stay.  The problem is they'd lose their best perimeter defender and their best interior defender and their starting lineup would be 

Westbrook

Hardaway Jr
Carmelo Anthony
Bargnani
Perkins

Not scaring anyone.

Edited by Majesty, January 30, 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#6 bigvee

bigvee

Superstar

• 7,220 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Shaq

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:09 PM

OKC can get almost any player in the league minus a select handful of "untouchables" for Westbrook.

Everyone knows they made the worst mistake of the decade by trading away Harden. It's definitely not happening again.

LeBron James will NOT leave the Miami Heat.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

• 30,391 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:13 PM

However if I think about it the prospect of the Thunder having Shumpert as their wing defender instead of Seph who seems to have taken a step backwards, as well as the defensive 4/5 combination of Ibaka AND Chandler is enticing.  Would it be worth losing Westbrook over and counting on Reggie Jackson?  I don't think so.  But it is "interesting"  

So ultimately who would win that trade?  The Thunder's lineup would then become 

Jackson
Shumpert
Durant
Ibaka
Chandler

That's actually... not bad for defense.   Shumpert, Ibaka and Chandler would be quite something to deal with.  The question is if Jackson could be as consistent as he has been as primarily

Their bench would become 

Felton
Lamb 
Seph
and the other guys 

Felton off the bench?  Not a bad idea. 

The more I think about it, even if it's crazy the Thunder would still win that trade due to the defense they'd aquire at the 2 and the 5.   Chandler over Perkins every day of the week and him and Ibaka would be a terror for any team to have to go up against and Chandler is a great glue piece on a team looking to contend for a championship..

Know what.. on second thought.. maybe the Thunder should "think" about this.

Cause Wesbrook, Carmelo, Bargnani and Perkins isn't going to do anything in New York together of notoriety.   But the Thunder with Jackson, Shumpert, Durant, Ibaka, and Chandler... hmm...

I still don't think it's worth losing Westbrook over but that's..interesting..

Edited by Majesty, January 30, 2014 - 11:13 PM.

#8 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,571 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:20 PM

To put it in perspective, Boston laughed at any trade proposal for Rondo from NY.

Edited by Ven, January 30, 2014 - 11:21 PM.

#9 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,349 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted January 31, 2014 - 12:14 AM

Nothing to see here an article written by a Yahoo contributor.  Not worth a single credibility unless it written by a sports reporter from Yahoo!

Posted Image

#10 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Sixth Man

• 3,591 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 31, 2014 - 12:46 AM

The Knicks are desperate, so they'll do whatever they can to be relevant. 

OKC is a different story. The Westbrook-Durant combo really have some problems in the past and while we saw how they did without Westbrook in last year's playoffs (bad), i think between the emergence of Reggie Jackson and Westbrooks second injury, the Thunder should start thinking about their future. Who knows how Westbrook will be when he returns and is he really the best fit next to Durant. 

Shumpert, Chandler, Felton and the rights to swap picks would really put them over the top these next two seasons - especially on the defensive end - and it would give them a chance to re-group after the 2015-16 season, where they could have around 20 million in cap-space. I would do that trade if i'm OKC, but only because i think Chandler is quite underated and because i'm not sold on the Durant-Westbrook combo. Also, sometimes you have to gamble a bit. 

#11 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,843 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 31, 2014 - 08:45 AM

NY isn't landing anyone in the top 10 player rankings via trade.  OKC isn't trading Westbrook either. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#12 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

All-Star

• 6,808 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 31, 2014 - 08:58 AM

Such a bad trade.

#13 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,255 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 31, 2014 - 10:12 AM

If Wedtbrook goes to NY, it'll be Starbury or Stevie Franchise all over again.
They have [expletive] luck.

#14 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 11,983 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted January 31, 2014 - 12:07 PM

No way okc would trade Westbrook after the way the harden trade went

#15 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Sixth Man

• 3,843 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted February 01, 2014 - 12:52 PM

Not sure why the Harden thing keeps coming back as some mistake they made. They really didn't have a choice plus you can't max out 3 wings and expect full potential.  Harden never becomes the 25/5/5 guy he is now playing 6th man for the next 4-5 years of his career.  He and his agent knew this.  I think Harden's hand that was played in that trade is grossly overlooked.  OKC is actually a really balanced team and haven't really got worse. 

No way okc would trade Westbrook after the way the harden trade went

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#16 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 5,397 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted February 01, 2014 - 01:08 PM

haha sike

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#17 bigvee

bigvee

Superstar

• 7,220 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Shaq

Posted February 01, 2014 - 01:46 PM

If Harden doesn't disappear in the 2012 finals, LeBron doesn't get his first ring, and OKC doesn't trade him for peanuts.  

LeBron James will NOT leave the Miami Heat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users