Photo

Is Kyrie Irving The Most Overrated "Superstar" In The NBA?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#21 LikeABosh

LikeABosh

Off The Bench

• 2,537 posts
  • Fan Since:Kobe/Fisher
  • Fav. Laker:Fisher

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:44 PM

I remember last season around this time the hype he was getting was crazy

#22 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:33 PM

He's a great when healthy, but superstar? Nope. I wouldn't pin Cleveland's sorry play on him though, they are just a really bad team with a bad coach. I wouldn't expect his stats to improve when the supporting cast around him is so terrible. Cleveland is just a horrible franchise.

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:35 PM

I know most here don't have league pass, but even if you just saw the game the Cavs played against us a while back, you would see just how much Kyrie just half-asses things. Like I said, I realize he's in a bit of tough situation, but that's no excuse to drop your professionalism and look & play that disinterested so often. If enough of you saw that as much as I & few others have here, I'm almost certain you'd lose at least a little bit of respect for him.

yo.

#24 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,270 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:34 PM

Lol... superstar.

#25 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,159 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Kyrie? Superstar? Not yet.

#26 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:01 PM

Irving is not a superstar.  Transcendent players can rise above poor coaching and a poor team.  it's happened several times before.  Irving isn't capable of this and if he is but he's half-assing it, then he'll never reach any level of hype they created around him.

The answer to your question is Blake Griffin, hands down.

#27 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,489 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:03 PM

Since CP3s injury against Dallas on  Jan. 3, the Clippers have gone 9-12 and are leading the league in offensive efficiency.

In that span, Blake Griffin is averaging 25 points (on 53% shooting, 74% from the line), 8 rebs, 4 assists, and a visibly improved defensive game, which includes a steal a game.

Like him or not, this guy is not overrated... he's on the verge of blowing up.

Blasphemy!  Praise for the hated Clippers and their star on a Lakers board!  The nerve of some people.  And you even did it with stats to back it up.

Debbie Downer

#28 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,791 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:05 PM

Blake Griffin has gotten better every year but he'd have to fit that mold.  Not really a superstar or elite just pretty damn good.  I'd have to say Melo

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#29 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,979 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 29, 2014 - 11:18 PM

I think Irving is right at the top of this list. Melo and Griffin actually produce and have done so in a while.

Irving have declined since he came into the league.

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 11:45 PM

For those that apparently might not have seen this again, & notice it says star there, not "superstar" and even still, look who leads:

wiofoo.png

yo.

#31 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,710 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 30, 2014 - 04:44 AM

Irving is not a superstar.  Transcendent players can rise above poor coaching and a poor team.  it's happened several times before.  Irving isn't capable of this and if he is but he's half-assing it, then he'll never reach any level of hype they created around him.

After missing his entire rookie year with a leg injury?

He's an athletic freak STILL.

And averages 20 and 10 for 4 years.

Puts fannys in the seats.

Hands down most over rated? too harsh imo.

You could make a case Dwight is the most overrated since his injuries though

Edited by kball, January 30, 2014 - 04:46 AM.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#32 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,457 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:18 AM

Kevin Love and Kyrie both need to be better

This is Melo's first time missing the playoffs, right?

#33 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,358 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:20 AM

I think Kyrie, blake griffin and Dwight are tied to be the most over rated players in the league.      There are three players playing the pacers that doesn't get the same love like those three guys and they are so much better.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#34 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted January 30, 2014 - 10:21 AM

I would've agreed with you 2 years ago, but now the Blakester is really killing it. He's gotten so much better. I think the most overrated superstar right now is Dwight. But that's my opinion.

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#35 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,892 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted January 30, 2014 - 10:30 AM

Blake Griffin?

Have you seen any Clipper games this year?
iyjywo.jpg

#36 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,358 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Blake Griffin?

Have you seen any Clipper games this year?

You right.  I dont watch many clipper games.  My eyes starts bleeding when I sit down and watch a clippers game even when they are a very good team.  I am the number one clipper hater bro. Unlike most of you guys who likes to jump shift, I hate the clippers with a passion. Dont like anything about them and hate the owner even worst.   But I do agree with you that Blake Griffin is playing really well as of late. Though I only see it on highlights since again I hate watching clippers game.  I  dont live in Los Angeles so represeing LA doesnt mean much to me.  I will never root for the Clippers or even aknowlege them as a basketball team.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#37 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,912 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 30, 2014 - 10:50 AM

I [expletive]ing hate the clippers to my bones, but there playing a really entertaining brand of ball right now

2div

#38 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 12:18 PM

You guys are sleeping on Kyrie that's for sure.

21 years old and will continue to get better. His attitude needs to get better but he's young. Some players just can't handle losing situations, it drains them mentally. Not saying it's right for Kyrie to half ass it but I'm not going to get on his case cause he wants out of Cleveland.

#39 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,561 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 12:38 PM

i don't think i'm sleeping, he's a good pg, i just don't see him becoming a superstar like a cp3. in that billups/tony parker category for me

bw1wOGf.png

#40 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,358 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 12:44 PM

Nobody here is sleeping on Kyrie.  You mistaken us saying he is over rated with he sucks.  Kyrie Irving doesn't suck. In fact, almost all of us believe he will be a great player. Probably an all star for most of his NBA career.  The reason why I think some people think he is over rated is because the praised that is on his way. Saying he will be the best PG in the NBA in the future? That is a bit much.   Damian Lillard and Steph Curry have something to say for that.

Edited by epicwolf, January 30, 2014 - 01:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users