Photo

Is Kyrie Irving The Most Overrated "Superstar" In The NBA?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:29 PM

This is a great article in my opinion. I wish I could post all of it it's that good, but I have to leave out a few parts. Click the link for all of it in totality.

I know he's got a lot of huge fans here and I don't exactly hate or dislike the guy myself (don't get it twisted). I just think a lot of the criticism is warranted & valid.

http://bleacherrepor...star-in-the-nba

Between a jaw-dropping highlight reel, an overstuffed stat sheet and an undeniably appealing commercial campaign, Cleveland Cavaliers point guard Kyrie Irving looks and acts the NBA superstar part.

The hoops world is clearly buying his work, as the third-year guard was recently selected as an Eastern Conference All-Star starter.

In a league run by superstars, Irving has established himself with the ruling class—despite having some glaring holes in his resume.

The 21-year-old is charismatic, immensely talented and unbelievably exciting to watch. He's also the NBA's most overrated superstar, and he's facing an uphill battle in shedding that label.

Not a Leader

When the Cavs won the draft lottery in 2011, they seemed to be staring at a jackpot prize.

Irving's track record said he was the perfect man for the job. A natural point guard packing a mighty scoring punch while always keeping a keen eye out for his teammates, he was a no-brainer (and, potentially, a game-changer) for the Cavs.

Some two-plus years into his Cleveland stay, though, the franchise is still waiting for him to have a superstar impact. In fact, this group looks strikingly similar to the 19-win outfit he was supposed to save:

2e85390a6dfb0443b0168e6b24c1a7e4_bigger. Ethan Norof @Mr_Norof Follow

#Cavs 61-131 since Kyrie Irving was drafted. Not all on him at all, but that’s a damning record. Do ‘franchise changing-stars’ allow that?

8:49 AM - 27 Jan 2014

2v8igjk.png

Yet individual production is supposed to be Irving's calling card. His team hasn't gotten any better since his arrival, so his superstar ascent has been based solely largely on his solo stat sheets.

"Last season, I would've told you Irving was a top four or five point guard," Fox Sports Ohio's Sam Amico wrote. "This year, I'm not so sure -- and %5BDerrick%5D Rose and the Celtics' Rajon Rondo have been injured, so they're not even in the discussion."

What's worse is that Amico was actually trying to make the point that Irving isn't overrated—by leaving Irving out of the top five point guards, ranks that don't include Rajon Rondo or Derrick Rose, either.

That's how far Irving's stock has slipped, even if fans still think they're seeing the same returns.

"At some point, winning has to matter more than All-Star games, 3-point shootouts and even USA Basketball," Jason Lloyd of the Akron Beacon Journal wrote. "At some point, if Irving wants to be considered the best in the league, he has to win."

If the Cavs (16-28) can't win in this Eastern Conference, they may never win again. At least, not as long as their superstar continues neglecting one end of the floor.

One-Way Play

Cavs coach Mike Brown was supposed to fix this issue.

Well, Irving has suited up 41 times for Brown. And he looks as lost as he's ever been on defense:

aeUMcXjw_bigger.jpeg Russillo         @ryenarussillo Follow

I honestly have no idea what Kyrie Irving is doing on defense.

4:31 PM - 17 Dec 2013

On the season, he's been the difference between Cleveland having a dominant defense and an overly porous one.

With Irving on the floor, the Cavs have allowed 106.3 points per 100 possessions. Stretched out across the season, that would be the league's fifth-worst defensive rating. When Irving takes a seat, that number drops all the way to 99.5. Only the Indiana Pacers, Chicago Bulls and Oklahoma City Thunder have a better defensive rating than the Irving-less Cavs.

As for his solo assignments, Irving has been getting cooked. Opposing players are posting an 18.6 player efficiency rating—league average is 15.0—against him on the season, via 82games.com. He's also been hit for 0.90 points per possession defensively, via Synergy Sports (subscription required), nearly the same amount he's posted at the opposite side (0.93).

Granted, not every superstar is a two-way force.

But Irving isn't a potent enough offensive weapon to compensate for lethargic play at the other end.

Will He Ever Reach His Hype?

If he wants the style-over-substance career, he wouldn't be the first player to follow that path.

wiofoo.png

But if he wants something more, if he truly wants to make an impact in this league, he has to change. There are way too many problems being conveniently swept under the rug right now.

As Lloyd said in defense of his critical column, "I just think we’ve reached the point where he has to take accountability for some of this stuff."

The bad losses, the sieve defense, the lack of growth for both himself and his team—these are all serious problems, and ones that need to be solved.

Irving's not the only overhyped star. But he sits as the game's biggest offender.

It's hard to place that label on anyone entrenched in the playoff race given Irving's inability to carry his team even that far. Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Love are similarly on the outside looking in, but their stat sheets (27.2 points and 9.0 rebounds; 24.9 points, 12.9 rebounds and 4.1 assists, respectively) are a level above Irving's.

Irving has the talent to reach the game's premium pedestal, but he has to want it and be willing to work for it.

No matter how hard the hoops world tries, it can't lift him to that ultimate stage on its own.

hi-res-461716679-kyrie-irving-of-the-cle

hi-res-8164690_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=43

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#2 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:38 PM

Hard to gauge, many would say because as PG he doesn't really have anyone to set up with to give him better assist ratio and lessen the offensive pressure. But by looking at him, I can remember Wall showed shows promise (although insanely inconsistent) than Irving in my opinion, especially his passing which Wall never gets enough credit. But as an offensive PG, Rose was better, Westbrook was definitely better, Curry not even close. So I really want to say he is overrated, but I'd wait at least one or two more seasons, plus I can understand him not adjusting well to Brown's system and slower tempo.

As for most overrated 'superstar', he is up there depending on who you ask, I'd say Lillard is getting way too much praise and I'd rather have Irving than Lillard, don't agree on Anthony since most knowledgeable fans know what he is about and shouldn't make him to be more than he is, Love definitely not but eh since he never really had much of an impact as far as winning I get it. I am pretty sure Rose was heavily referenced in that 'other' category.

Harden, Griffin, Rubio, and Hayward (some people think highly of him) came quickly to mind if I had to choose.

Edited by Ven, January 29, 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#3 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,098 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:39 PM

Cleveland's never going to push him to. 

Look at what Cleveland did to the two people that spoke out against his play. 

They'll coddle him like they did James hoping it inspires some kind of loyalty. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:41 PM

^ ay6fwo.png

yo.

#5 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,691 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Well he's on a horrible team with a horrible coach and horrible management. He hasn't been in the league too long either. That's not a great combination.

Once he leaves Cleveland for a winning atmosphere, his greatness will be bolded. By the few Cave games I've seen this year, he's looked completely uninterested. Pretty sad situation to have his skills go to waste at this early stage of his career.

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:44 PM

By the few Cave games I've seen this year, he's looked completely uninterested. Pretty sad situation to have his skills go to waste at this early stage of his career.

That's the thing though. I understand he's in a somewhat tough situation, but that's not enough reason to drop your professionalism, pout, and just stop playing as hard as you should or are capable of. That's not all-star worthy nor respectable in my opinion.

yo.

#7 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:45 PM

Well when Rose won his MVP he had 25, 7 and 4 at 45% shooting. What is the expected standard for today's offensive PG's? Because even after my initial post, in some ways it is true he shouldn't be considered a superstar yet, but also his stats kind of fall into place with other offensive PG's, so it kinda depends on how you look at the nature of today's NBA. I've met many people that think Rose and Wall are overrated which I don't  agree as far as them.

Edited by Ven, January 29, 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#8 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,675 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:45 PM

since when was he labeled as a superstar?

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:48 PM

I've met many people that think Rose and Wall are overrated which I don't  agree as far as them.

At least Rose has made the playoffs though.

yo.

#10 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,534 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:48 PM

ye, i never considered him as a superstar lol

bw1wOGf.png

#11 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,691 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:49 PM

That's the thing though. I understand he's in a somewhat tough situation, but that's not enough reason to drop your professionalism, pout, and just stop playing as hard as you should or are capable of. That's not all-star worthy nor respectable in my opinion.

Trust me, I'm in no way supporting what he's doing. As a professional athlete, it's pitiful to see a star disengaged the way he is.

But I do think he'll be much different when he leaves.

#12 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,821 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:49 PM

This. Who calls Kyrie a super star? A superstar is a top five player in the league. Kyrie is arguably a top five pg, but no where near being in the top five in the league.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:51 PM

ye, i never considered him as a superstar

This. Who calls Kyrie a super star?

Zach Buckley

This_is_1_crop_150x150.jpg?1389671192

yo.

#14 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,002 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:51 PM

Mostly the media, but still a good amount of people do consider him on the 'cusp' I guess. In the very least he gets a lot of attention for a player that hasn't done much of anything at all.

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,098 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 29, 2014 - 04:55 PM

Putting Bynum on the same team with him was probably a mistake as Bynum has no filter whatsoever... 

However in the least he didn't reveal it to the media and kept it in house for the most part.  It only came out later what Bynum's problem was and the Cavs instead of requiring Irving not leave his teammates(including Bynum) out to dry and working on his game.   They decided to get rid of Bynum and continue to let Kyrie take 20 shots a night making 5 of them while his team keeps losing. 

Go home Cleveland, you're drunk.  

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#16 8RingKobe

8RingKobe

Rookie

• 724 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 29, 2014 - 05:09 PM

Griffin or Harden are the most overrated. I don't think anyone considers Kyrie a superstar. I would jump at the chance to have him though. He can easily be a top 5 PG. He has the tools and he has time on his side to.

#17 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,464 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted January 29, 2014 - 05:59 PM

To be an overrated superstar, you have to be a superstar first. I'm not going to read any of these posts or the article. Kyrie is not a superstar and critiquing his game as if he is a superstar is meaningless.

That's like calling Kobe Bryant the best role player in the league.
iyjywo.jpg

#18 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,749 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 29, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Griffin or Harden are the most overrated. I don't think anyone considers Kyrie a superstar. I would jump at the chance to have him though. He can easily be a top 5 PG. He has the tools and he has time on his side to.

Since CP3s injury against Dallas on  Jan. 3, the Clippers have gone 9-12 and are leading the league in offensive efficiency.

In that span, Blake Griffin is averaging 25 points (on 53% shooting, 74% from the line), 8 rebs, 4 assists, and a visibly improved defensive game, which includes a steal a game.

Like him or not, this guy is not overrated... he's on the verge of blowing up.

2div

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:03 PM

To be an overrated superstar, you have to be a superstar first. I'm not going to read any of these posts or the article. Kyrie is not a superstar and critiquing his game as if he is a superstar is meaningless.

Get off your high horse and look at the poll at least. The overwhelming majority of thousands of people agree he's the most overrated "star" even, not "superstar".

and that's too bad by the way, you could learn a few things if you did. It's honestly a great read.

yo.

#20 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,964 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 06:07 PM

I think Kyrie is a fringy all star player tbh. I never seen a game where he didn't anything impressive. Seems like a more glorified Brandon Jennings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users