57 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,064 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:28 AM

I am in my early 30's so my first experienced in video gaming home consoles was in the early to mid 80's when I was about 5 years old.  During that time even though my first system was the Sega Masters I wasn't into gaming until the first NES came out.  Lets face it,  Nintendo was the reason why consoles became popular especially in the United states.  They started it all in the 80's. Yes Atari tried to make a huge splash in the late 70's with their system but if you read up on video gaming history, there were so many errors they did marketing wised and eventually Nintendo pretty much destroyed them.  Nintendo pretty much destroyed every consoles that came out in the 80's and early 90's pretty much. Sega even bow down to Nintendo. Then ofcourse if you know the history of video game consoles the story behind how Sony got started. Believe it or not Nintendo was the reason why there is a Playstation in the first place. You can read up on how playstation got started online because I think it is one of the most interesting and biggest business mistakes Nintendo did. 

Anyway, I know some of you guys assumed I am a sony fan boy due to my post of how I praised the ps4 so much.  I cant blame you really. I became a fan boy due to the xbox fan boys. I owned a 360 and i loved it. I also own a ps3. But I was a Nintendo fanboy for quite a long time believe it or not. I stop being their fan when the Wii came out.  I own all of nintendo systems.  The nes, the super nes, n64, gamecube.  but when the Wii came out, i knew that they just dont get it.  Dont get me wrong. Wii was a great console. But it seems like Nintendo doesnt understand the new landscape of what gamers want now a days.   Guys my age grew up with Mario and donkey kong and zeldas but the kids now a days doesn't care much for those exclusive Nintendo charactors anymore. Its just cute looking now. Its not cool anymore to play those charactors. So you can only squeezed so much out of them.  The Wii U was a huge desaster.  Now I heard they might come out with a new system called the Nintendo Fusion. Will that system bring Nintendo back to prominent?  I think the problem for Nintendo is not that their system sucks or its not powerful. I think their issue is they dont know how to market themselves to the new generations. They dont know how to work with game developers as well as microsoft and sony. I heard Nintendo rubs some developers the wrong way thats the reason why they dont have many great games for the system.  I believe they can bring out systems after systems after systems but if they dont work on their marketing skills and relationships with other developers, they will never be competing against sony and microsoft.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:57 AM

Nintendo I think is done for with consoles. As much as there are a lot of little kids out there that love games that don't look amazin and fell in love with the Wii I think that is over. This generation of gamers is being geard more and more to high powerful machines and want to see what they can do. Nintendo just isnt going down that road with its consoles.

Now the handheld market is completely different. I think they will continue to lead the way for the simple fact they have too many titles that are loved by so many that can draw people in. I mean there were people on this board that went out of their way to get a 3ds to play the new pokemon. (Not saying this is a bad this just goes to show the pull certain Nintendo titles have) They have the handheld market locked down for this simple fact. Vita might be able to make games look nicer, their games just suck in comparison.

Unless Nintendo drops a powerful console and changes the way Zelda, Mario, etc look on screen no way they can contend in the console market. Then again do you really wanna change the face of a franchise by updating Mario to look more realistic and no longer cartoony? If the Wii U is a sample of what is to come for them it is not good. They lost the console war already. I mean the Wii U came out a year ago and already was outsold by xbone and ps4. I love their handheld games, but console wise Nintendo is dead I think.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#3 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is Bad For Chemistry

• 6,862 posts
  • Name:Walter Black
  • Fan Since:Breaking Bad
  • Fav. Laker:I am the danger

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:31 AM

I had to do a Term Paper on Nintendo last year so my answer is no. Their downfall started with N64. Their hardware is so cheap that they sit on $8 billion in cash. The Wii Urinal is $350 & it can't play a CD? They have too bad of a rep with developers to turn things around. They'll make a new system in 2017 because they never listen to consumers

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#4 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,064 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:55 AM

We all know they already lost the console war like 10 or 14 years ago when Playstation 2 came out and it was so popular and then Microsoft came into play.   N64 was a good system but when microsoft came out with such powerful system, it pretty much destroyed any competition really.  Sony had the developers backing them up with more games.  I wanted to see if Nintendo will actually going to bring the Fusion out and actually try to compete again.  In terms of money issues, Nintendo is still making huge money. Mostly from the hand held but they are not going out of business anytime soon. I just think that Nintendo still doesnt get the landscape of gaming now a days. Until they see it, they can come up with a more powerful system than the xbox one or ps4 and still lose.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#5 randomguy

randomguy

Rookie

• 83 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:15 AM

It's true that Nintendo is in trouble, but they are still prominent and have always been. They have so much money in their reserves, they'll continue making consoles. The Wii U is tanking but the 3DS is doing great, so I have faith in Nintendo to turn it around.

Of course, it's hard to stay satisfied as a Nintendo-only gamer. Another console really is necessary for third-party games, but Nintendo's first-party exclusives are top-notch.

#6 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,064 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:40 AM

Name be a great FPS game that Nintendo have right now?  Even a decent one or heck even any true FPS game?

I'll give you a month to figure that out lol.     The thing about winning gamers especially hardcore gamers over is not how powerful the system is.  To be frank majority of the time developers don't use the system's potential.  If gamers really want a truely powerful system to play video games, they will go with a PC instead.  What console lovers want is experienced and fun factor.  Having awesome graphics and powerful system doesn't do much to most hardcore gamers. Look at those indie games. Heck look at minecraft.  Extremely popular and the graphics is like from atari in the late 70's. In order to compete with other consoles you need to have great game from each genre. Every gamers are different and not everybody likes the same game. FPS games are very popular right now and Nintendo doesn't understand that.  All they do is concentrate on cute rpg games and wanted to be different than their counterpart so much they alienated so many gamers also.   You need a great FPS game, a great open world game, a great rpg game, a great stradegy game and now a day a great online game.   Nintendo doesnt have that.  So they can come out with the fusion that has top of the line specs but will still lose due to their relationships with developers.

#7 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,013 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:46 AM

Nintendo just doesn't appeal to me as a grown man.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#8 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,520 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 29, 2014 - 10:16 AM

Maybe if they finally came up with something original. They just feed of peoples nostalgia of the old games. 

#9 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,323 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted January 29, 2014 - 10:16 AM

Mario and Zelda will never die

#10 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,761 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 29, 2014 - 11:30 AM

Console-wise? I seriously doubt it. Their biggest issue is that they don't support 3rd party developers as much as they should, and as a result they don't have access to as many standout non-Nintendo franchises. Yeah, Nintendo has a nice base of classic characters to work around, but how many standout games can you name that they've produced in the last couple of years? They try too hard to push their own Nintendo original franchises but it just doesn't sell once you see Mario on like 4-5 different games. This isn't the 90s, there's actual competition out there. They're just completely outclassed as a console right now trying too hard to be "unique" with their console gimmicks instead of focusing on actual content.

As far as handhelds go it's no contest; Nintendo dominates. They have so much 3rd party support that it's ridiculous. I really don't understand why they won't do the same thing with their console. There were so many amazing games for the DS last generation and the 3DS is probably going to dominate the market again if they keep putting out quality titles.

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the N64, been on Playstation ever since. I honestly don't play games as much as I used to, I've got like 5-6 games at home that I bought like a year ago that I haven't even touched. I use my PS3 more for Netflix than anything nowadays.

#11 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,772 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 29, 2014 - 12:34 PM

We all know they already lost the console war like 10 or 14 years ago when Playstation 2

How did we all know that when the Wii outsold both the xbox 360 and ps3? Nintendo actually won the last console war.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, January 29, 2014 - 12:34 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#12 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,862 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 01:52 PM

Wii was a one-time fluke. The President of Nintendo admited that his 10 year old son doesn't even like the Wii U. A Wii U is 3 Gamecubes taped together

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

• 40,378 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:42 PM

How successful was their GameCube compared to the N64?

yo.

#14 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,435 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted January 29, 2014 - 07:53 PM

I think they have too much money and talented people to fall off.

They are dominating the handheld market, the 3DS is awesome.

What they need to do is stop the gimmicks and come out with a machine that can compete with the PS4 and Xbox one or whatever is around in the next gen. We all know graphics aren't everything, but graphics can be the difference in a purchase for a lot of gamers. And I know a lot of gamers aren't digging the tablet screen, even though it works really well with most games. 

Along with that, they definitely need more third party support. I honestly think Nintendo STILL has the best first party games, but their third party support is abysmal. They need to get games like GTA and COD on their systems to make more people think twice about what system they are going to get.

I think their best bet is to continue the strong first party games they've always had and work on a new machine with a conventional controller and better system specs. And get in on that CoD/GTA market. 

I think people talking about their downfall is overdone. They won the last console war and they are making a killing with the 3DS. Along with that, they have 8 billion dollars to mess around with. But they do need to get this next console right and start making some better decisions and listen to the customers a little bit better.

#15 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,862 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:13 PM

How successful was their GameCube compared to the N64?

N64-31 Million
GameCube-22 Million

#16 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,862 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 08:18 PM

Nintendo is like a patient with Cancer who never goes to the doctor

#17 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:37 PM

They are done.

I'm sure they will go the route of producing games for their handheld stuff, eventually getting absorbed by another company.

But they have failed to innovate or expand their market beyond young kids.  They made terrible decisions left and right and they won't get the chance to come back.

#18 pkflyers

pkflyers

• 8,795 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 12:11 AM

lack of 3rd party support/lack of anything innovating beyond mario/zelda etc. will be their demise

13z8pc6.jpg

#19 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,166 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:07 AM

Honestly was never a Nintendo guy, I was a Sega kid growing up then after Dreamcast went back and forth with Sony and Microsoft.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#20 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 6,862 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:48 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users