Photo

Did the Grammys just rob Kendrick Lamar?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,193 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:19 PM

That Kendrick and Imagine Dragons went hard though

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#42 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,198 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:32 PM

simpsons-grammy-o.gif

ap1.png

#43 James Worthy

James Worthy

Rookie

• 843 posts
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:40 PM

IMO, they had to legitimize the song by giving it an award, knowing they were going to have a big gay marriage stance later on, featuring Madonna, Queen Latifah, and 33 people getting married.

This is about gay marriage and not about race.

#44 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:43 PM

^

Pretty much, Hollywood and its PR agenda. Nothing against against homosexual rights, but this felt like a showcase to present a cause than an actual song of merit. Thought the marriages during the show were unnecessary and cheap.

#45 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,727 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:47 PM

Macklemore's text message about his award. 

"Kendrick should have won" 

cd88e786871a11e39972121de7c604a9_8.jpg

macklemore

27 minutes ago

My text to Kendrick after the show. He deserved best rap album... I'm honored and completely blown away to win anything much less 4 Grammys. But in that category, he should have won IMO. And that's taking nothing away from The Heist. Just giving GKMC it's proper respect.. With that being said, thank you to the fans. You're the reason we were on that stage tonight. And to play Same Love on that platform was a career highlight. The greatest honor of all. That's what this is about. Progress and art. Thank you. #grammys

mad respect to Macklemore.  

Edited by Majesty, January 26, 2014 - 10:48 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#46 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted January 26, 2014 - 11:26 PM

i don't give a [expletive] about who wins the grammy's outside of Daft Punk... but forgetting to pay tribute to Jeff Hanneman, and then cutting off the QOTSA/NIN/Grohl performance is utterly disrespectful. I'm livid right now.

#47 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 11:32 PM

i don't give a [expletive] about who wins the grammy's outside of Daft Punk... but forgetting to pay tribute to Jeff Hanneman, and then cutting off the QOTSA/NIN/Grohl performance is utterly disrespectful. I'm livid right now.

I don't watch the Grammy's, were Queens of the Stone Age and NIN performing or was it just like a presentation?

#48 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,545 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:00 AM

Macklemore's text message about his award.

"Kendrick should have won"

cd88e786871a11e39972121de7c604a9_8.jpg
macklemore
27 minutes ago

My text to Kendrick after the show. He deserved best rap album... I'm honored and completely blown away to win anything much less 4 Grammys. But in that category, he should have won IMO. And that's taking nothing away from The Heist. Just giving GKMC it's proper respect.. With that being said, thank you to the fans. You're the reason we were on that stage tonight. And to play Same Love on that platform was a career highlight. The greatest honor of all. That's what this is about. Progress and art. Thank you. #grammys

mad respect to Macklemore.

Since you posted it twice.

You realize this is a gimmick to save face in the hip hop community? All of hip hop is going to hate Macklemore Pop Rap album.

Mack makes a song about gay rights but has several posts on twitter defacing gay people. He doesn't give a [expletive] about it. Quite the hypocrite.

Oh whatevs the publics retarded

Edited by Ham, January 27, 2014 - 12:01 AM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#49 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:09 AM

I don't watch the Grammy's, were Queens of the Stone Age and NIN performing or was it just like a presentation?

they were supposed to be performing together. It was amazing, [expletive]ers just cut them off.

#50 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:18 AM

they were supposed to be performing together. It was amazing, [expletive]ers just cut them off.

That's BS, I don't really care for Foo Fighters, but loved QOTSA back in the day and NIN as well.

#51 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,545 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:30 AM

https://mobile.twitt...name=macklemore

https://mobile.twitt..._name=RyanLewis

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis: "I care about gay rights"

Smhhhh

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#52 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 27, 2014 - 09:14 AM

People have been robbed at these sort of award shows all the time.

Doesn't make it a racial thing....lol

#53 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 590 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2014 - 09:53 AM

^ Exactly, who cares TBH. All award shows are a big fat joke anyway IMO. I take it all with a grain of salt. I thought GKMC should have won, but if it didn't, so what? I fully expected him not to win, alway knew Maclemore would. Don't wanna pull the racial card but C'mon, it was obivious, LOL.

What bothers me more is the lack of diversity in the performances. All the african americans who perform had to perform with somebody else, where were our individual performances? That's what irks me the most.

#54 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,130 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted January 27, 2014 - 11:07 AM

This reminds me have back in the days when Eminem got shuttout from the Grammy's because he is too "gangsta" or "controversy" then in a couple of years they invited him to be one of the performers and gave him several grammys.  I am sure Kendrick Lamar will get several grammys in the near future.   ANd I am not even a Kendrick Lamar fan.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#55 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,727 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 27, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Since you posted it twice.

You realize this is a gimmick to save face in the hip hop community? All of hip hop is going to hate Macklemore Pop Rap album.

Mack makes a song about gay rights but has several posts on twitter defacing gay people. He doesn't give a [expletive] about it. Quite the hypocrite.

Oh whatevs the publics retarded

Doubt it, as he and Kendrick are friends in real life. 

Main thing is all the grammy's did was ensure they'd both sell more records cause people are gonna be picking sides and buying more of their albums. 

Macklemore's songs have a lot more substance than a lot of people NOT named Kendrick.  They're both pretty awesome and just rap about different things.  But people will argue between Macklemore and Kendrick, who both lyrically are some of the better rappers out there.  They don't have to worry about the Lil Wayne's and such anymore being told they own Hip hop and Macklemore and Kendrick both trump any new rapper that's come down the mainstream pipe in the last 6 years.   And only a select few were that good.  Lupe, J-Cole, Kendrick, Macklemore have been pretty much the best ones coming down the pipe lately. 

Aside from the old schoolers Eminem and Nas of course. 

But Mack and Kendrick both have skills, they just rap about different things.    Both are friends irl and both are skilled rappers.

So people are gonna pick sides and try to cause some sort of beef but all it's gonna do is raise both their album sales.   All the grammy's are nowadays are a springboard to create a story of who got robbed and subsequent record sales to rivalry. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#56 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,881 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2014 - 03:08 PM

macklemore

6 hours ago

While the world debates... This is what we're on. #grammys

48b97bd286cb11e38e5812e0cdd01dd1_8.jpg

http://instagram.com/p/jpWPTQQK4z/

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#57 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,881 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 03:11 PM

https://mobile.twitt..._name=RyanLewis

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis: "I care about gay rights"

Smhhhh

I'm not defending them, I'm not huge on their music, but I am open to the possibility that their views might have changed since over 3 years ago.

For example, I used to support mandated GMO labeling 2 years ago. You can quote me on it. Since then, my views have changed. I don't think the government should be able to force a business to operate in a certain way. These views have radically shifted in the span of 2 years. If you were to compare my character today with my opinion on the issue 2 years ago, it would not be a very effective argument.

With this stated, I am still looking forward to your comparison between the actual content of the albums.

Edited by -Wade-, January 27, 2014 - 03:17 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#58 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,939 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 03:24 PM

Kendrick is an incredibly openly bitter person. That's what makes him so great to me. So you ought to be crazy to think Kendrick is not going to be walking around with a massive chip on his shoulder. The [expletive] ain't happy, homies or not with Mack. Him and TDE are going to come crazy hard this year and further cementing west coast hip hop's resurgence.

• 40,398 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 04:51 PM

[expletive]ers just cut them off.

robo1_bigger.jpgTrent Reznor         @trent_reznor Follow

Music's biggest night... to be disrespected. A heartfelt [expletive] YOU guys.

yo.

#60 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,881 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 10:42 PM

You know me.... devil's advocate.

If Hip-Hop is supposed to also encapsulate culture and lifestyle into the art, then Macklemore did just that. Six months after Macklemore's Same Love dropped, Washington State voted to legalize same-sex marriage (and barely). I honestly do not think it would have passed if Same Love was never released. I know that is a bold statement and it is near impossible to prove, but considering that:

1) Macklemore gained massive support off of Same Love

2) Same Love was played on the radio every other song

3) Legalizing same-sex marriage passed by a very slim margin

I can conclude that Same Love had an impact on the vote. This is huge for the LGBT civil rights movement. And to do that through music? That's hip-hop.

I still would have liked to see Kendrick take the cake. He is lyrically superior. However, you can't take away what Macklemore did for the LGBT social movement through his music. It is unprecedented.

Edited by -Wade-, January 27, 2014 - 10:47 PM.

wKNsigp.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users