#261 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,846 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 26, 2014 - 03:39 PM

It would've helped in convincing him to stay - it absolutely would have.  It wouldn't have been the be all end all, but it would've gone a long way for him and more importantly the fans, ya know the people who make guys like Jim Buss an undeserved millionaire, in showing that the team isn't happy about the direction they're pointing in.

And I totally agree, IF he did say this ridiculous junk about Kobe being amnestied then yeah, who cares about him.  But all that is unsubstantiated reports from non-sources.  It's a process, install a coach with a winning system and winning attitude/culture first then move on from there regarding personnel.

I was the one who told you you can't rely on the accomplishments of your past to justify the mediocrity of your future.  Come on now.  And again, I've gone over this!!!  I don't know why the search function eludes so many of you.  I've said what could've been done. I'm not going to re-type the same thing for each and every person who can't do the tiniest bit of research for themselves.

I've said what I felt needed to be said, I'm sorry if the bitter truth hurts.  I'm not happy about it either.  In fact, I venture to say I'm more unhappy about this garbage state of the Lakers than quite a few people around these parts (judging by previous posts and comments).  I'm not some lone person saying these things.  It's not like I'm the only passenger on some delusional train running off the rails.  I'm happy for you if this current state of the Lakers doesn't concern you for the long and short term success of this franchise, that's great.  I wish I could be as bright and cheery about it, but I can't, losing and the satisfaction with losing (in any facet of life) pisses me off.

To me the Lakers mean pride, dignity, winning and always competing with that same dignity and pride.  Right now, I see very little of that coming from the team, organization and the fans and it bums me out to no end.

#262 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 26, 2014 - 03:43 PM

smh...

Jerry was patient...Fans need to be patient

#263 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 03:43 PM

Fido, the stuff you are talking about was pre-Staples, pre-AEG, pre-Twitter, pre-ESPN radio...No need for letters

#264 fido

fido

• 10,846 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 03:46 PM

Great!

Then it's even easier to do - so even less excuses!

If you think in this era of the same social media you just presented that fans will be patient after 11 years between championships (like we went through from '88 to '99), you've got another thing coming.  Fans were losing their minds after 6 and 7 years back then.  We are sitting on 4 years now.  If/when this team goes through the same thing, you'll see plenty of impatience - and rightfully so.

#265 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 03:50 PM

rightfully so?

How is it right?

10 titles in 30 years is unprecedented in the modern era and they deserve MORE?

No...its expected for a child to react like that, not anyone with any hint of common sense and perspective.

#266 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 03:52 PM

Great!

Then it's even easier to do - so even less excuses!

If you think in this era of the same social media you just presented that fans will be patient after 11 years between championships (like we went through from '88 to '99), you've got another thing coming.  Fans were losing their minds after 6 and 7 years back then.  We are sitting on 4 years now.  If/when this team goes through the same thing, you'll see plenty of impatience - and rightfully so.

JUST FOLLOW TEAMS THAT OPERATE THE WAY YOU LIKE

Magic is gone, Jerry is dead, and Phil is gone and Kobe is out the door.

CHEER FOR THE SPURS OR HEAT, one has Pat Riley, the other is ran professionally.

You aren't a slave to this Lakers regime....

#267 fido

fido

• 10,846 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 03:54 PM

HA!  I've gone over this time and time again with you, but your childish argumentativeness refuses to listen to anything besides what you've told yourself is the truth.  Did I say deserve?  I suspect that you are really not a Laker fan and more a basketball fan that admires what the Lakers have done, but harbors a pretty sizable chunk of resentment for the organization's success.

I have known several members of organization and the team through personal avenues and have an emotional attachment to this team that makes me get upset when I see a new regime come in and tarnish those winning attitudes and theories that I've basically built my adult life around.  I'm not throwing it away. And I have a right to be upset.  I've donated a lot of time, effort, heart and money to this franchise and the return has been equal, up until now. 

You've proven through other posts that you have little to no respect for your elders, history or the experience of others.  I don't know why I suddenly expect anything more from you. 

#268 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,846 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 03:59 PM

What? I'm a born and bred Angelino, the Lakers have represented my city in the greatest fashion that I can ask.

Kobe and magic and Jerry West are institutions. But I KNEW after 2010 Finals, on Kobe's last legs, that we wouldn't win again in that era. And i'm fine. I still love watching the lakers. it hiurts when they lose, but I realize that my guys Magic and Kobe has excellent careers and the Lakers did what tthey were supposed to do when you have 1 of the greatest players of all time. Pair him with other greats.

Dwight was not a Laker. He doesn't have what Kobe, Shaq, Kareem or Magic had.

So , whatever, we "lost him" and Andrew...so what

Now it's about taking a year like this to add young talent via draft, and getting yourself in position to sign a Durant or Paul George ...IF they become available

#269 fido

fido

• 10,846 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:02 PM

I don't base my projections on "ifs".  This team has never based their future potential and present game on"ifs".

The Dwight thing, I don't pin all the franchise's hopes on that guy.  I have no problem ion him leaving, if it was for what the media told us.  If he left simply because the team didn't want to build around him for the future, then yeah, I have a problem for it.  If he left because of this Kobe amensty b.s., then good riddance.  And Bynum leaving was never a loss, that isn't even an issue.

#270 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,338 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:07 PM

I've stated numerous times how all the chips would have to fall in the right place for us to be contenders soon. No solution is guaranteed to work - we've seen that with the Nash/Kobe/Dwight project. However, if we play our cards right, we can certainly head in the right direction.

1) Fire D'antoni this offseason: There's no reason in keeping a coach that doesn't fathom defense, that changes lineups multiple times even if players are healthy, and that isn't willing to adjust his system. This fast-paced offense has lead to half of our team being injured. It's not a coincidence that we've had an injury-filled season two years in a row. Hire a new coach this offseason, one that understands the value of defense. Let him implement his system/principles during training camp and preseason. 

2) Take advantage of the draft: D'antoni is our current coach. Our franchise player is injured. Half of our team is injured. We're losing games because of lack of talent and no energy on the defensive/rebounding facets of the game. Might as well turn that into a positive and take advantage of the draft. We have a good shot at Wiggins/Parker/Embiid. With the draft this deep, many players will be NBA-ready. Kyrie Irving, Damian Lillard, Anthony Davis, etc. all came firing into the league with much less talent around them. 

3) Make strategic trades: Very unlikely for Pau to resign with us for cheap. And even if he does, you're looking at a future Love and Pau front court. Opposing teams will destroy us in the paint. Kaman hasn't been receiving playing time at all. He's another player we could possibly trade. We need picks or young assets - defensive wings and anchors. There may be trades looming next season that Mitch is planning which isn't visible to the common eye.

4) Free Agency: Much of where we'll be going will depend on who we sign and who we draft. If we draft Wiggins, we probably won't be looking into Melo or Deng since the SF spot will be taken. The PF spot is open for Love in 2015. Either way, Lakers will find a way to sign players that will help out our roster. 

- - - -

Who knows? Maybe all of the above successfully happens. Maybe not. But they're all small steps in making us a contender.

#271 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,617 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:08 PM

The Lakers 'stone silence' doesn't mean nothing is happening. 

The Lakers have been 'stone silent' ever since the CP3 deal happened.  

We never knew that the Nash trade was happening till right before. 

Everyone was praying for the Dwight trade to happen but no one really heard anything from the Lakers about it till right before it happened.

Just like no one knew we were getting Shaq till it happened. 

The Lakers don't always need to come out and speak to the fans all the time.   Mitch has actually done more talking to the media this year than I can remember him doing in a long long time. 

To you, you assume the Lakers 'silence' means they aren't trying to do anything because you feel owed an explanation and feel like if you don't get one it shows the Lakers aren't making any moves or working to improve things.

That's quite a reach.

And you do place your projections on "ifs" because you assume "if" the Lakers aren't telling the media or the fans every move they are planning on making then "it" means that they aren't trying to change anything nor working to do so. 

That's one of the biggest 'ifs' you can project. 

Edited by Majesty, January 26, 2014 - 04:09 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#272 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Gunsmith Cats

• 8,452 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:29 PM

Or the front office should get guys who know what they're doing and let them do their thing with no interference.

MMiRi9s.png

#273 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,993 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:53 PM

Management has shown signs of effectiveness but also dubious judge of character, namely in the coaching dept which frankly until that gets resolved no amount of talent will lead to winning. I think considering how they planned the season, they picked some good cheap talent which many have liked in the names of Young, Xavier, Marshall and so on. If there was ever a season to lose, might as well be a one where there will be a deep draft pool although I still don't think it is appropriate to flat out root for your team to lose. So I do think people are putting to much hopes in this draft class and free agency. I can understand MDA being a lame duck coach, but I worry more about this franchise as a whole appearing stable from top to bottom rather than a shaky structure that isn't sure what to do.

I think we will be ok, because the NBA really isn't full of powerhouse teams aside from maybe OKC, Indy, and Miami. Everyone else is still looking for that missing puzzle. But considering coaching changes, free agents and this draft, definitely will require the perfect storm of events similar to 96 and 08.

Edited by Ven, January 26, 2014 - 04:56 PM.

• 40,395 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 05:34 PM

Chandler 's game is much worse than his Dallas days. 

Injuries have clearly riddled him a bit combined with some loss of that passion that he always used to consistently bring.

Do NBA know a travel call?

Wow, Phil with the grammar error. One of the least people I'd expect to ever see that from.

These Blake Griffin commercials are idiotic and annoying

Yeah, the first few he did a couple years back were okay, but lately they've been absolute garbage.

Mike Woodson reminds me of Suge Knight. Hahahaha. Don't know why

Black guy, bald head, facial hair. I think i might know why.

Well, I thought we could win but I guess....good loss?

We did win. Some of our guys had great games while at the same time we made sure to gain ground and get closer to a better asset.

Nice job "Lakers", worst Grammy trip in the history of the team - way to go you morons.

1 game from the second worst team in the league.  Absolutely disgusting.

Injuries + MDA, what do you expect?

Freak N Frack. C'mon Lakers compete for just 48 minutes. Start strong and finish strong.. Efffffff!

They did. They're just not good enough. No need to get upset. We only have so much to work with. Our margin for error aint' the greatest.

Fido, I am interested, what moves do you suggest we should make based on our current situation and standing, since all you do is complain about the Lakers not attempting at all to put a winning product on the floor, and how management does nothing to improve the roster. Please, enlighten me on our possibilities of bolstering the roster with the situation we are stuck in.

You keep telling me about our history of winning. I do not want to read about that. I want to know your ideas on how we can improve our roster based on our current situation and standing.

tumblr_memu6bYz9f1qkbtx4o1_500.gif

Spoiler

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users