#21 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted January 28, 2014 - 01:31 PM

Oxford dictionary definition of thug: a violent person, especially a criminal.

Merriam-Webster definition of thug: a violent criminal

Tupac's definition of thug: one who is going through struggles

Joe Masseria was a thug. Lucky Luciano was a thug. Bugsy Siegel was a thug. Dutch Schultz was a thug. Meyer Lanksy was a thug. Carlo Gambino was a thug. Al Capone was a thug. Joseph Profaci was a thug. Half of our government are thugs.

And thug is the new "n" word? LMAO!

If thug does become the new "n" word, I will seriously consider pulling a Metta and changing my name to Thug.

Edited by -Wade-, January 28, 2014 - 01:33 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 40,604 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 01:34 PM

^ Hence why many people are saying "new". Those examples you provided were indeed Caucasian Men, but that was almost centuries ago. That's severely outdated. You rarely hear the the word "thug" applied to almost any Caucasian nowadays as compared to how often it's used against African-Americans. It's not even close.

yo.

#23 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 01:45 PM

^ Hence why many people are saying "new". Those examples you provided were indeed Caucasian Men, but that was almost centuries ago. That's severely outdated. You rarely hear the the word "thug" applied to almost any Caucasian nowadays as compared to how often it's used against African-Americans. It's not even close.

I fail to see how less than 100 years in some cases is considered centuries (plural) old. Nobody has the right to make certain words a privilege. People are free to interpret "thug" as they see fit, but if they call me a racist for using it out of their politically correct viewpoint, then I will cease communication with that person. If they physically assault me for saying it, they will get a .45ACP pointed in their face until I have the police come and throw their ass in jail.

Calling somebody a "thug" based on how you judge them does not make the word "thug" racist, it makes the person racist who thought that a person is violent just because of their skin color.

The definition of "thug" and an individual's predispositions are mutually exclusive, whereas the "n" word has always been applied toward a certain skin color. We are talking apples and oranges here.

Edited by -Wade-, January 28, 2014 - 01:54 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 40,604 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 01:58 PM

I understand & agree that it's nowhere near close to as literal as the n-word given the confirmed racist marked history behind it as compared to "thug", but in a non-literal sense, the reality is what it is and unfortunately it just happens to be used too often today as a more intended secretive way of being racist. I get that you obviously don't agree, but I'm sure you can at least acknowledge that many others agree & can acknowledge this reality as well. It's not right nor fair nor literal, but it's there.

yo.

#25 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 02:10 PM

I understand & agree that it's nowhere near close to as literal as the n-word given the confirmed racist marked history behind it as compared to "thug", but in a non-literal sense, the reality is what it is and unfortunately it just happens to be used too often today as a more intended secretive way of being racist. I get that you obviously don't agree, but I'm sure you can at least acknowledge that many others agree & can acknowledge this reality as well. It's not right nor fair nor literal, but it's there.

There will always be bigots. I can't control that. But nobody can regulate words.

I think Obama is a thug. Do people think I am racist for thinking this? If so, they should block me now so I don't have to communicate with them any longer.

Why I think Obama is a thug is what matters and it has nothing to do with his skin color.

The definition of "thug" and an individual's predispositions are mutually exclusive

unfortunately it just happens to be used too often

"Too often" equates to a majority.

My theme on LakerNation has always been about protecting the rights of the minority. The minority has just as much of a right as the majority to interpret and say "thug" as they please. If 90% of America votes to ban the word "thug," it still can't be done. The other 10% have the right to free speech.

wKNsigp.png

• 40,604 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 02:16 PM

^ fair-enough-o.gif

yo.

#27 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 02:25 PM

^ fair-enough-o.gif

Lol you always have the best gifs. But yeah, I respect your opinion and even agree that some people are using it in a racist manner. I just want people to understand where I am coming from and why I think regulating words are a slippery slope. I'm not accusing you of wanting to regulate anything, it's just that the government has been extremely politically correct as of late. I love my 1A

Edited by -Wade-, January 28, 2014 - 02:30 PM.

wKNsigp.png

#28 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,218 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted January 28, 2014 - 07:34 PM

Cube!

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#29 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 28, 2014 - 11:08 PM

Oxford dictionary definition of thug: a violent person, especially a criminal.

Merriam-Webster definition of thug: a violent criminal

Tupac's definition of thug: one who is going through struggles

Joe Masseria was a thug. Lucky Luciano was a thug. Bugsy Siegel was a thug. Dutch Schultz was a thug. Meyer Lanksy was a thug. Carlo Gambino was a thug. Al Capone was a thug. Joseph Profaci was a thug. Half of our government are thugs.

And thug is the new "n" word? LMAO!

If thug does become the new "n" word, I will seriously consider pulling a Metta and changing my name to Thug.

I think that's the gist of it. Thug = Black = Violent = "N" Word

Pau Gasol is GONE

#30 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 11:38 PM

To me, thug = green

OK.

Question time.

What color is this? I am hoping someone will entertain my thought:

blue.jpg

Edited by -Wade-, January 28, 2014 - 11:41 PM.

wKNsigp.png

#31 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 05:30 PM

To me, thug = green

OK.

Question time.

What color is this? I am hoping someone will entertain my thought:

blue.jpg

Blue.

• 40,604 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 07:02 PM

What color is this?

blue.jpg

Spoiler

yo.

#33 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 07:35 PM

Blue.

"What we observe is not nature itself but nature exposed to our method of questioning." --Werner Heisenberg

That color I posted is actually Grue.

You might be thinking, "don't you mean blue?"

No, I mean Grue.

You might then ask, "so what is grue?"

Grue is simply the color blue anytime after the year 2013. Anything prior is considered blue.

The word "blue" isn't objective within nature. It doesn't come in some package in the universe like a hamburger comes with pickles. If we keep this in mind, the rest is all science. You develop a hypothesis, find an instance to confirm the hypothesis, then make a generalization.

Based on my definition of Grue, I propose the following hypothesis: All cloudless skies are grue.

I have tested my hypothesis multiple times and it turns out to be true.

You may respond, "Wade, you're just being annoying. You just made up a word!"

Scientists make up words all the time. Quirk. Muon. Electron. All of the words that we know today are made up. And we all have different interpretations of these words based on our various milieu. It doesn't make one person smarter than the other person or any more correct than the other person.

"Words are our servants, not our masters." --Richard Dawkins

Thug is a word. You interpret it one way, I interpret it another. I can't be held to the same standard as to how other people interpret that word based on their milieu, which is likely different than mine.

Edited by -Wade-, January 30, 2014 - 07:39 PM.

wKNsigp.png

• 40,604 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 07:39 PM

Freedom of speech. Freedom of expression. Freedom of individual interpretation.

yo.

#35 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,881 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted January 30, 2014 - 07:56 PM

Wth. A thug is someone with a predisposition toward violence. Hooligan, punk, blah, blah, blah. If someone assaults me or threatens my wife they are a thug, or whatever relevant word I choose. Just because some stupid people use a word with a veiled meaning does not make the word or its use racist by everyone. Racists are morons and not worth wasting time on.

Edited by KobeWillReturnTriumphant, January 30, 2014 - 07:56 PM.

#36 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,047 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:13 PM

"What we observe is not nature itself but nature exposed to our method of questioning." --Werner Heisenberg

"Words are our servants, not our masters." --Richard Dawkins

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Race, N-word, Tupac, David Stern, NBA, Fame, Jay-Z, role models, CNN, Brooke Baldwin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users