Photo

Charles Barkley: 'Thug' Is The New 'N' Word

Race N-word Tupac David Stern NBA Fame Jay-Z role models CNN Brooke Baldwin

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

• 40,431 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 05:12 PM

This was a great great interview overall. Barkley talked about a few other things & made some thought-provoking points as well. I'll include those in spoiler tags to try & not clog up the page as much.

Barkley: 'Thug' is the new 'n' word

Fmr. NBA star Charles Barkley explains why he agrees with Richard Sherman on the meaning behind the word "thug."

Barkley: People will hate you for being famous

Barkley explains why being in the limelight changes how people perceive you.

Spoiler

Barkley: Athletes should stay in college longer

Barkley talks David Stern and what he'd change about the NBA.

Spoiler

Barkley: Kids don't need to be Jay-Z

Barkley explains why he made his infamous "role model" ad and who kids should really look up to.

Spoiler

By the way, Brooke Baldwin. :blush:

yo.

#2 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,232 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted January 24, 2014 - 05:34 PM

Barkley needs to be quiet, getting really sick of him 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#3 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,536 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 24, 2014 - 05:35 PM

I don't really see the word thug used, atleast where I'm from but...

The N word stopped having any meaning or emphasis a long time ago... rappers like to casually throw it out in every single these days....

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

• 40,431 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 05:36 PM

Barkley needs to be quiet, getting really sick of him 

What's wrong? Does he not make any valid points at all? Doesn't come off completely like an idiot to me at least here.

yo.

#5 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted January 24, 2014 - 06:05 PM

I don't see how, growing up in LA, a lot of black and Hispanic thugs, in Oakland a lot of Asian and Pacific Islander thugs, and so on, gangsters and criminals do not know color.

The N word is derived from a racial slur, but the issue is because black people use it, then others use it as well because they can and it carries on where others use it and then it becomes an issue for certain people.

Even if Barkley is making valid points they are null because then the issue here is the moment someone takes issue to a word, should it be banned? In a comical way is the word thug heading to the point where only black people can say it because it was used against them and only they can use it therefore? We all complain about sensitive times, why is this any different?

#6 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,400 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 24, 2014 - 07:03 PM

Stupid. Just stupid.
Posted Image

#7 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,096 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted January 24, 2014 - 09:55 PM

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#8 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,847 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:23 PM

Barkley is the new word for stupid

• 40,431 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:34 PM

Judging by the likes & dislikes in that video, most of the people there at least seemed to agree with them. So I guess basically all of you here are saying the majority of people on this topic are stupid as well?

yo.

#10 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,096 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted January 25, 2014 - 03:53 PM

@3:18

Edited by Mr Terrific, January 25, 2014 - 03:54 PM.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

• 40,431 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 03:55 PM

^ I didn't even remember LaMarcus' relative was with ESPN at one point.

yo.

#12 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 03:56 PM

Judging by the likes & dislikes in that video, most of the people there at least seemed to agree with them. So I guess basically all of you here are saying the majority of people on this topic are stupid as well?

A lot of people just tend to agree with what is perceived as politically correct without examining the actual topic and its inner details. Here it is easy to agree with Barkley and others who are speaking from only one vantage point, but they themselves are ignoring various other subjects and viewpoints that there is so much irony on this.

• 40,431 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 04:02 PM

tupac-tattoo-thug-life-eric-blair-thug-l

yo.

#14 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,014 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 04:05 PM

Death Row would've changed anyone lol

#15 spacedog1

spacedog1

Rookie

• 234 posts
  • Fan Since:90s

Posted January 25, 2014 - 05:56 PM

I like what he had to say about kids looking up to doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc. instead of only looking up to athletes and "entertainers". Not too sure about the controversy over the term "thug" but I think what he was saying about trying to be more than athletes and entertainers was good

• 40,431 posts

Posted January 25, 2014 - 06:13 PM

I like what he had to say about kids looking up to doctors, engineers, lawyers, etc. instead of only looking up to athletes and "entertainers". I think what he was saying about trying to be more than athletes and entertainers was good

But it's hard in reality cause the truth of the matter is kids are most influenced typically by what they see on tv, hear on the radio, or see through social media and c'mon now, how often do you see doctors, engineers, & lawyers glamorized in the same light or even close? Heck, not even at all almost really. It just doesn't sound or look sexy enough.

yo.

#17 la1904

la1904

Rookie

• 232 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, swaggy p

Posted January 26, 2014 - 04:29 AM

i give 2 [expletive]ss, i'ma goon

#18 spacedog1

spacedog1

Rookie

• 234 posts
  • Fan Since:90s

Posted January 26, 2014 - 06:56 AM

But it's hard in reality cause the truth of the matter is kids are most influenced typically by what they see on tv, hear on the radio, or see through social media and c'mon now, how often do you see doctors, engineers, & lawyers glamorized in the same light or even close? Heck, not even at all almost really. It just doesn't sound or look sexy enough.

I realize that and that's a problem for kids but not an excuse. Part of the problem is that they need to get past the whole way of looking at athletes and entertainers being what's "cool". That's a problem that kids are stuck on trying to act like people who are entertainers simply because they're "cool" and on tv when oftentimes those people are not what kids should be looking up to. No problem trying to be like Mike or working hard to be like Kobe or Jerry Rice, etc. but when kids are giving up the rest of their futures and not working hard in school because they just expect to walk into the pros are make a career entertaining, you have a lot of the problems that are persistent now. It's difficult for many kids but it's not impossible.

Recently people like Barkley, Reggie Miller and Richard Sherman talked about how kids can't use those things as an excuse to not work hard and try to get out of their situations. Just because kids see the athletes and entertainers on TV, they and their parents need to stress the importance of things like an education to help themselves to potentially secure a better living. I know a lot of people might not see it that way and that's a problem. Just like the aforementioned people have said, it's no excuse that what's seen on TV influences them. That is the responsibility of the parents and the children to learn and recognize these things IMO.

#19 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,987 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 09:26 AM

Barkley is just trying to say that the word thug is a word the media uses to downgrade minorities, put them in their place sort of speak. I'm not sure he explained it in the best way he could, but he got his message through. I agree with him in a sence. Every time a minority goes against a norm, the media is quick to call that person a thug or street trash. It's degrading, especially towards a highly educated individual like Richard Sherman.

Does the media call Justin Bieber a thug, even after all of his recent run ins with crime? No, I'm not sure I heard once that they called that kid a little thug even though he embodies the words way more accurately than Richard Sherman.

#20 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,121 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 28, 2014 - 06:11 AM

The Sherman issue makes it clear as day and also personal experience.  Most of the time when a young black male displays any form of aggression whether it be harmless or not he gets the thug term applied to him regardless.  White guys don't have this same label applied to them.  No one ever called Big Ben a thug, Brady a thug for running down refs and cussing them out.  Sherman didn't even curse lol.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Race, N-word, Tupac, David Stern, NBA, Fame, Jay-Z, role models, CNN, Brooke Baldwin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users