Photo

Kobe Says NBA Is A "Finesse Game", No Fan Of It; Jerry West Says Competition In Basketball Today Isn't Very Good (Pg. 2)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 11:18 PM

It would never happen, but I'll tell you one sure fire damn way the league & product would instantly be better. NFL-like non-guaranteed contracts. That'll get everyone to play 10x harder quick. You can damn sure bet your ass on that.

yo.

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 02:54 AM

Jerry West Says Competition in Basketball Today Isn’t Very Good

“It’s a different type of game today,” he said when asked why most shooters today do not have the consistency percentage-wise than those when he played back in the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s. “Coaches really emphasize defense today. They also put more emphasis on athleticism. It’s not only different but a more difficult game.”

“And then you have a lot of driving from kids who have trouble holding onto the ball,” West said. “So it’s a different kind of game than it used to be. … I don’t understand this, but there seems to be a lot of really poor free-throw shooting, even at the NBA level. And that tells me the competition isn’t very good.”

Read more at
http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2014/01/jerry-west-says-competition-in-basketball-today-isnt-very-good/#QC2TADeOihtYKUrL.99

lol'd at this part about playing in the Olympics: "Nope," Bryant said. "I'll go and spectate. Maybe I'll go watch Pau [Gasol] win another silver."

Kobe Bryant was asked whether he's thought about the 2016 Olympics. He says, he'll spectate, watch Pau Gasol win silver.

yo.

#23 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 981 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 22, 2014 - 05:29 AM

Reverse the hand check rule, shorten the season slightly, go back to 2 shot Technicals,  and eliminate the defensive 3 seconds rule would be a start.

#24 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,880 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:18 PM

It has always been my opinion that the removal of the hand checking rule was THE most moronic thing to do for the game. That rule and the restricted area rule are complete bull[expletive] that did not make the game better. 

Edited by steven v, January 22, 2014 - 12:18 PM.

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#25 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,880 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:50 PM

Funny, Kobe saysy this when he is old and no longer a factor in the league.

Even if it's true, it look bad

BTW, the league was FAR worse off pre-Kobe...It was Mj and a bunch of drunks/cokeheads/weedheads and a few other great players

Then Kobe and Ray and Steve came in...and it got better

then LeBron and them came in and it was better and then Cp3 and Rose and Curry and Lillard and Anthony Davis.

NBA is improving...the only thing I don't like is the lack of flagrant fouls...but the game changed so MJ wouldn't be hurt and the same has benfited Kobe

WOW. did you just take a [expletive] on 

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar* Nate Archibald* Charles Barkley*   Elgin Baylor* Dave Bing* Larry Bird* Wilt Chamberlain* Bob Cousy*       Clyde Drexler* Julius Erving* Patrick Ewing* Walt Frazier* George Gervin* John Havlicek* Elvin Hayes* Magic Johnson* Michael Jordan* Jerry Lucas* Karl Malone* Moses Malone* Pete Maravich* Kevin McHale* George Mikan* Earl Monroe* Hakeem Olajuwon* Shaquille O'Neal Robert Parish* Scottie Pippen* Oscar Robertson* David Robinson* Bill Russell*   John Stockton* Isiah Thomas* Nate Thurmond* Bill Walton* Jerry West* Lenny Wilkens* James Worthy*  
The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#26 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,955 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 22, 2014 - 01:13 PM

I dig the 90's basketball versus today. It is cool to watch but c'mon. All these rocky tack fouls. The league isn't aggressive like it used to be. The offensive player can draw a foul off a pump fake then jumping into the defender. It's weak. I hope Adam Silver makes a few changes
#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg

#27 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,461 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 22, 2014 - 01:19 PM

The 90s playoffs series were fun, so were the 2000s

I thought NBC had better games and stuff

But think about now

Rockets, Warriors, Thunder, Clippers, Spurs, Heat , Pacers

vs

Bulls, Knicks, Pacers, Jazz, Sonics 

#28 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,616 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted January 22, 2014 - 02:16 PM

Heck, Kobe is a grumpy old man. That's nothing new. 

2hf753r.jpg

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 02:47 PM

I hope Adam Silver makes a few changes

I'll be pretty shocked if so unfortunately. Expect more of the same more than likely. After all, Stern & Silver are rather close buddies & have been working together for a long long time so they probably share a lot of similar idealogies. Heck, wouldn't surprise me if Stern, although no longer in an official position, still calls some shots or nurtures influence behind the scenes.

yo.

#30 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,992 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 22, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Jerry has a point. Stuff that was basic in his day(such as protecting the ball on drives and having a post game no matter what position you are) are things struggled with today that should have evolved.

Yet and still most people dribble the ball too high and have to carry to get away with it and still can't matchup to marques Haynes at dribbling. So west has a point at that.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#31 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,632 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted January 22, 2014 - 09:31 PM

the hand check was stupid they should reverse that

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#32 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 23, 2014 - 09:57 PM

"the league was FAR worse off pre-Kobe.  It was Mj and a bunch of drunks/cokeheads/weedheads and a few other great players"

Amazingly short-sighted and uneducated response there - just amazing.  Lets everyone know just what kind of IQ you're sporting there.  That was simply confounding that you let that slip out of your head and into the public eye.

I know you'll come back, be argumentative and try to justify this preposterous viewpoint, but let it be known that it totally skews every single opinion you have from here on out, and not in a positive light.

#33 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,461 posts

Posted January 23, 2014 - 10:38 PM

"the league was FAR worse off pre-Kobe.  It was Mj and a bunch of drunks/cokeheads/weedheads and a few other great players"

Amazingly short-sighted and uneducated response there - just amazing.  Lets everyone know just what kind of IQ you're sporting there.  That was simply confounding that you let that slip out of your head and into the public eye.

I know you'll come back, be argumentative and try to justify this preposterous viewpoint, but let it be known that it totally skews every single opinion you have from here on out, and not in a positive light.

The league had a well- known image problem pre- Magic and Bird

The Silver Era of the 80s were Magic, kareem ,Dr. J , Moses, etc it was 2 great teams and about 6 good teams. Everyone was more slender and they ran a lot. You were allowed to hit penetrating guards.

Then as those players start riring and the money got bigger, you saw a BUNCH of wasted talent in the 90s.

Look at the guys who are losers now, like Rodman and Kemp and isiah rider and SOOOOO many guys from that era.

They lacked the professionalism of a Jason Kidd, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett generation.

I may have demonized an entire group, but as the money grew, the sport got weak and guys were satisfied with JORDAN dominating an era because he brought in a lot of money.

Of course you have stand up guys from the 90s like the Admiral, Ewing, Mourning, Scottie, MJ and so many others...BUT there were too many guys like our own Nick Van Exel or Cedric Ceballos who were not like these kids today.

Lillard, Curry, LeBron, Durant, Westbrook, Paul George, Hibbert, Anthony Davis. These guys are PROFESSIONAL. I think 95,96 and beyond , you saw a change in the athletes being pros, despite them being younger guys

#34 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,901 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 24, 2014 - 10:31 AM

The league had a well- known image problem pre- Magic and Bird

The Silver Era of the 80s were Magic, kareem ,Dr. J , Moses, etc it was 2 great teams and about 6 good teams. Everyone was more slender and they ran a lot. You were allowed to hit penetrating guards.

Then as those players start riring and the money got bigger, you saw a BUNCH of wasted talent in the 90s.

Look at the guys who are losers now, like Rodman and Kemp and isiah rider and SOOOOO many guys from that era.

They lacked the professionalism of a Jason Kidd, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett generation.

I may have demonized an entire group, but as the money grew, the sport got weak and guys were satisfied with JORDAN dominating an era because he brought in a lot of money.

Of course you have stand up guys from the 90s like the Admiral, Ewing, Mourning, Scottie, MJ and so many others...BUT there were too many guys like our own Nick Van Exel or Cedric Ceballos who were not like these kids today.

Lillard, Curry, LeBron, Durant, Westbrook, Paul George, Hibbert, Anthony Davis. These guys are PROFESSIONAL. I think 95,96 and beyond , you saw a change in the athletes being pros, despite them being younger guys

lol what about the professionalism of AI (went bankrupt and wouldn't practice)? What about the professionalism of Latrell Sprewell?

What about the professionalism of Dwight Howard (like 5 baby mommas)? How is JR Smith professional? LeBron lol, the one who had an hour show to pick a team, real professional? Even though I love Kobe, how is being accused of rape professional? How is getting a DUi (Jason Kidd) professional? 

I could go on and on but you are biased so you will probably look right past it.

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#35 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,461 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 12:46 PM

The stuff you talk about is tame compared to the stars I named...

How about keeping yourself in prime condition for being an athlete

Dwight is married to his craft like many of the guys I mentioned, there is a huge difference in what you are talking about

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 24, 2014 - 03:44 PM

Dwight is married to his craft

I disagree. I think Dwight's more married to vagina than the game of basketball.

yo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users