Photo

Kobe Says NBA Is A "Finesse Game", No Fan Of It; Jerry West Says Competition In Basketball Today Isn't Very Good (Pg. 2)

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

• 40,365 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 04:19 PM

Kobe No Fan of 'Finesse' NBA

"It's more of a finesse game," Bryant said before the Lakers played the Chicago Bulls on Monday. "It's more small ball, which, personally, I don't really care much for. I like kind of smash-mouth, old-school basketball because that's what I grew up watching. I also think it's much, much less physical. Some of the flagrant fouls that I see called nowadays, it makes me nauseous. You can't touch a guy without it being a flagrant foul."

Bryant said that the hand-check rule that was introduced nearly a decade ago during the 2004-05 season has made it easier for less-talented players to succeed. Bryant said Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni is at least partially responsible for the shift in style of play across the league.

"I like the contact," Bryant said. "As a defensive player, if you enjoy playing defense, that's what you want. You want to be able to put your hands on a guy. You want to be able to hand check a little bit. The truth is, it makes the game [where] players have to be more skillful. Nowadays, literally anybody can get out there and get to the basket and you can't touch anybody. Back then, if guys put their hands on you, you had to have the skill to be able to go both ways, change direction, post up, you had to have a mid-range game because you didn't want to go all the way to the basket because you would get knocked ass over tea kettle. So I think playing the game back then required much more skill."

Is there any chance the league could revert back to the no harm, no foul ways of the 1980s?

"Kids might be a little too sensitive for that nowadays," Bryant said with a smirk.

"We probably see players that came out of high school were much more successful on average than players that went to college for a year," Bryant said. "It seems like the system really isn't teaching players anything when they go to college. You go to college, you play, you're showcased and you come to the pros. That's always been the big argument: As a player, you have to go to college, you have to develop your skills and so forth and so on and then come to the league. So, we kind of got sold on that, sold on that dream a little bit and, fortunately, I didn't really listen too much to it. Neither did [Kevin Garnett], neither did LeBron %5BJames%5D and that worked out pretty well for our careers."

Speaking of James, Bryant doesn't believe there will be a torch passed from him to the four-time MVP -- or any other player for that matter -- when he retires, which could happen as soon as the 2015-16 season, when his current contract with the Lakers expires.

"I've never looked at it as the torch is being passed," Bryant said. "Even when the Magic [Johnson], Michael %5BJordan%5D or %5BLarry%5D Bird, that kind of transition from Dr. J [Julius Erving], as a kid growing up I always looked at it as athletes represent different things. It's like what Magic represents to the game, what Bird represents to the game is different than what Michael represents to the game. It's not the same torch. They're picking up their own thing and they're carrying their own generation their own way.

"So, I don't look at it as a passing of the torch. I look at it as different athletes doing different things. What LeBron does is different than what [Kevin Durant] does. What they both do is different than what I do and so forth and so on."

nba_g_bryant_600x400.jpg

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

Kobe Bryant admits he's not a fan of small ball, the system that Lakers head coach Mike D'Antoni employs. Plus, Kobe talks about the game of basketball losing it's physicality and some flagrant foul calls making him nauseous.

NBA analyst Avery Johnson joins First Take's Stephen A. Smith and Skip Bayless to discuss Kobe Bryant's comments about the NBA being more of a finesse game.

Edited by    , January 22, 2014 - 02:55 AM.

yo.

#2 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,679 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted January 21, 2014 - 04:53 PM

I agree with Kobe. 

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#3 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,477 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 21, 2014 - 05:26 PM

NBA is full of [expletive] now

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#4 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,290 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 21, 2014 - 05:27 PM

He's right.

#5 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 847 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 21, 2014 - 05:51 PM

Agreed with Kobe.

#6 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 2,987 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted January 21, 2014 - 06:45 PM

It'll get worse before it gets better.

#7 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,004 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 21, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Don't think I've watched a full game all season and that's the first time I've done that in over 20+ years.

The game is boring now.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#8 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,429 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted January 21, 2014 - 07:32 PM

I hate the way players like KD and James Harden are officiated.

I agree about the flagrant fouls and stuff, because most flagrant fouls nowadays are just hard fouls that the officials overreact to. Hand checking should have never been banned, either. But the thing that really pisses me off about today's NBA is the swing through moves and stuff like James Harden blatantly initiating contact and getting the whistle every single time. The NBA has too many starts and stops as it is, so I'd like to see that change.

#9 L@keRmade™

L@keRmade™

Lakers4life

• 921 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba

Posted January 21, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Completely agree.

The NBA has become so soft now, probably the softest basketball league in the world.

Posted Image

#10 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,406 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 21, 2014 - 07:49 PM

Taking a couple shots at MDA in there.

:clap2:

But yea he is on point about everything. 

#11 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 926 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 21, 2014 - 08:19 PM

lol'd at this part about playing in the Olympics: "Nope," Bryant said. "I'll go and spectate. Maybe I'll go watch Pau [Gasol] win another silver."

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,942 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 21, 2014 - 08:26 PM

So I guess he's playing in the Olympics then.   And when they interview him he'll say "I'm only here to set screens."  with a chuckle. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#13 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,064 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 21, 2014 - 08:46 PM

The term stretch 4 makes me vomit

#14 dyls5

dyls5

Rookie

• 414 posts
  • Name:Dylan

Posted January 21, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Couldn't agree more, Kobe.

#15 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 21, 2014 - 09:03 PM

This is essentially what I said in another thread in "NBA Talk" and I usually get nothing but, "Oh you old fans are just bitter" comments.  I totally agree with Kobe.

Kobe's right.  And I'm with ya Windu, its tough to watch games any more.  The league is just so inferior to what it was even 10 years ago, let alone when it was in its prime a while ago.

• 40,365 posts

Posted January 21, 2014 - 09:13 PM

The league would also be in better hands if there weren't so many damn injuries. Too many star players missing more than ever it seems in recent years. Really kills a lot of games & matchups.

Parity is atrocious as well, but that's been the case for quite some time to say the least.

Again, the simplest thing at the least the league should do is fix the damn playoff system. Get the teams with the best records in there regardless of conference period.

yo.

#17 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,406 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 21, 2014 - 09:54 PM

The league would also be in better hands if there weren't so many damn injuries. Too many star players missing more than ever it seems in recent years. Really kills a lot of games & matchups.

Parity is atrocious as well, but that's been the case for quite some time to say the least.

Again, the simplest thing at the least the league should do is fix the damn playoff system. Get the teams with the best records in there regardless of conference period.

Yea...there really is no need for 82 games and no need for 30 teams.

#18 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,703 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 21, 2014 - 10:01 PM

Funny, Kobe saysy this when he is old and no longer a factor in the league.

Even if it's true, it look bad

BTW, the league was FAR worse off pre-Kobe...It was Mj and a bunch of drunks/cokeheads/weedheads and a few other great players

Then Kobe and Ray and Steve came in...and it got better

then LeBron and them came in and it was better and then Cp3 and Rose and Curry and Lillard and Anthony Davis.

NBA is improving...the only thing I don't like is the lack of flagrant fouls...but the game changed so MJ wouldn't be hurt and the same has benfited Kobe

#19 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 686 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted January 21, 2014 - 11:11 PM

I think calling it a finesse league detracts from the word "finesse." Kobe's game now is a finesse game; his fadeaway jumper is finely tuned thing of beauty - nothing smash-mouth about it. I think a better term would be "cookie-cutter;" a league driven by lane penetration and threes. But when I think about it, I don't have as much of a problem with that as I thought; when teams light it up from downtown, I know I'm having a shallow good time. 

However, Kobe's second point about the league being less physical I can definitely agree with. The amount of touch fouls and overreaction calls on hard fouls can be a bit much. 

For what it's worth, I feel like Kobe's masterfully exploited the lack of physicality for a good chunk of his career with drawn fouls all the time. But hey, maybe Mamba was just mad he couldn't hand check people anymore, and decided to vent his frustration on the league by dropping 81. 

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem

#20 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,429 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted January 21, 2014 - 11:15 PM

Parity would be better if so many east coast teams weren't run by mouth breathers and or trying to lose on purpose. The owners locked out the players, and we still see small market owners giving out dumb ass contracts every single year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users