#21 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 14, 2014 - 06:16 PM

Spitting in somebody's face is assault. Calling somebody the "N" word is not. Retaliating with physical force is assault.

Care to provide a different example?

Calling someone the "N" word is verbal assault. Sorry, you can't just open your mouth say and whatever you want. Maybe on paper you think you can but not in real-life situations. 

What do you think would happen to you if you met the POTUS and you proceeded to wag your finger in his face all the while verbally abusing him with words that would make the Grand Dragon of the KKK blush?

Edited by Windu, January 14, 2014 - 06:16 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#22 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,082 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted January 14, 2014 - 06:19 PM

Verbal assault? Did you just make that up? I am aware of the term and its applications, but if we are talking about what is supposed to limit people's actions (the law), then I would like for you to provide another example, because this one does not work either. Tell that whole "on paper" thing to the Westboro Baptist Church, much less, this ignorant kid who Kanye assaulted, who both have the right to speak their unpopular minds without being physically assaulted.

I respect your opinion, but I was expecting something backed by empirical evidence. I've never heard of somebody receive a felony over verbal assault. Libel/slander is another story, but we aren't talking about that.

If I participated in the hypothetical which you speak of, which is far different than spitting in somebody's face (a crime), I would expect the liberal president of the United States, who is a self-proclaimed Constitutional scholar, to know the law and turn the other cheek. He does not need to turn the other cheek respectfully, he can call me a [expletive] headed [expletive] face if he wanted to. That is his right, I would expect that.

Edited by -Wade-, January 14, 2014 - 06:30 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#23 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,082 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 06:24 PM

With all due respect Wade, you're a computer hacker. That's far worse than two men fighting.

You do not know what you are talking about. You don't even know what the different classifications of hackers there are, or what types there are (yes, there is such a thing as an ethical hacker, look it up), you are just assuming things again because you felt threatened by my other response in God-knows-what thread.

Edited by -Wade-, January 14, 2014 - 06:26 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#24 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,499 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted January 14, 2014 - 06:37 PM

With all due respect Wade, you're a computer hacker. That's far worse than two men fighting.

LMAO what a ridiculous statement

#25 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Verbal assault? Did you just make that up? I am aware of the term and its applications, but if we are talking about what is supposed to limit people's actions (the law), then I would like for you to provide another example, because this one does not work either. Tell that whole "on paper" thing to the Westboro Baptist Church, much less, this ignorant kid who Kanye assaulted, who both have the right to speak their unpopular minds without being physically assaulted.

I respect your opinion, but I was expecting something backed by empirical evidence. I've never heard of somebody receive a felony over verbal assault. Libel/slander is another story, but we aren't talking about that.

If I participated in the hypothetical which you speak of, which is far different than spitting in somebody's face (a crime), I would expect the liberal president of the United States, who is a self-proclaimed Constitutional scholar, to know the law and turn the other cheek. He does not need to turn the other cheek respectfully, he can call me a [expletive] headed [expletive] face if he wanted to. That is his right, I would expect that.

No I didn't "just make it up". 

This is basics. You're taught to be nice and not use bad words when you're in kindergarten. I expect adults to know better. You can't hide behind laws for everything...especially something like this. 

Westboro Baptist Church? Two wrongs don't make a right.

Come on now...you really think the secret service would sit idly by while someone did that to the POTUS?

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:07 PM

seattlepi need/s to work on their grammar a bit.

yo.

#27 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 40,981 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Depends on the area I guess... in an area where "stand your ground" is apparent wouldn't it be legal to assault someone just because you 'felt' threatened by the words they said?   Correct me if I'm wrong bout that stand your ground stuff. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#28 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,459 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:16 PM

LMAO what a ridiculous statement

I admit all I know about hacking is getting people's account information or destroying someone' computer.

But anyway...

Wade, why are there wars? Why are there fights?

The law is one thing, but people react instantly in some actions without thought of consequence due to emotion.

[expletive]ER is a word that  tells you someone is being disrespectful to the tenth degree.

Every time a man is disrespected he can't turn the other cheek. We all can't be Martin Luther King or Nelson Mandela...That's why they are used as EXAMPLES of how one should be in ideal terms. But we  live in real terms, not idealistic

#29 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,046 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:27 PM

It is all legit, one guy used his freedom of speech, Kanye took an action he felt was justified and the law disagrees with it thus he will have to deal with the repercussion (for every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction). This is really common all over America, but of course because it is a 'celebrity' people begin to debate if people "should run their mouths".

#30 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 2,829 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:30 PM

what happened to speech that inspires violence is not protected?

ap1.png

#31 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,901 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:40 PM

I am all for Kanye's actions but there are consequences to those actions(which I agree with as well). But instead of getting himself into consequences, he could have took a picture of the kid or video tapped him and put the kid on blast on twitter(where Kanye probably has a lot of followers) and maybe he will get a little karma his way by someone else.

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#32 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,901 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:41 PM

So dumb....

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#33 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,211 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted January 14, 2014 - 07:44 PM

I heard that this Internet Gangsta tried to put his hands on the fam so Yeezy gave him a 2 piece.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 08:09 PM

This is really common all over America, but of course because it is a 'celebrity' people begin to debate if people "should run their mouths".

:laughing: So true. [expletive] is so predictable.

yo.

#35 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 08:48 PM

I'll take that case if anybody calls my girl a [expletive]er lover.

And anybody who uses that term is looking to get beat up. That is an act of instigating violence.

Edited by Icker, January 14, 2014 - 08:52 PM.

#36 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,082 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 09:01 PM

This is basics. You're taught to be nice and not use bad words when you're in kindergarten. I expect adults to know better. You can't hide behind laws for everything...especially something like this. 

You expect adults to know better than to say things that are likely to invoke a negative emotion out of others. That is understandable, respectable even. Still, you can't expect this from everyone, and even from a scientific point of view, shouldn't (rather a sociological perspective or a psychological perspective).

You speak of basics. Some of the first laws, again, which were based on morality, were to Love you neighbor. They were to turn the other cheek. They were to forgive the enemy when the only thing the enemy did was hate. I am not sure what message you are trying to uphold. I understand that it is important to protect your family when somebody is disrespectful to them, but resorting to physical violence takes away not only from your argument, but from your integrity. You are equally as foolish for resorting to violence, as is the man a fool man for calling somebody a name simply based on their skin color.

We all know what Jesus said on these issues. We all know what Ghandi said. We all know what Muhammad said. Yet, many wish to compromise and "only be the best that they can be," out of convenience. If somebody is being intolerant toward you, why not show them how to be tolerant?

You go on to state, "two wrongs don't make a right." So how does perpetuating violence justify a third wrong? It doesn't.

I don't think the person in your hypothetical would even get 5 miles of the secret service based upon some of the responses in this thread. Hypothetically, I would expect the secret service to usher the man off of the stage.

Depends on the area I guess... in an area where "stand your ground" is apparent wouldn't it be legal to assault someone just because you 'felt' threatened by the words they said?   Correct me if I'm wrong bout that stand your ground stuff. 

You need to be able to prove that someone presented lethal force against you. Your word alone is not good enough to make a stand your ground case. Your word, in pair with evidence of you being assaulted, and perhaps a witness, would be different.

what happened to speech that inspires violence is not protected?

Speech that inspires violence (the screaming "fire" in a crowded theater argument) was presented in the Supreme Court case I referred to earlier. Name-calling, including racial remarks, is protected under free speech. I am not saying I support racism or anything. I am saying I support the freedom of expression.

It is all legit, one guy used his freedom of speech, Kanye took an action he felt was justified and the law disagrees with it thus he will have to deal with the repercussion (for every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction). This is really common all over America, but of course because it is a 'celebrity' people begin to debate if people "should run their mouths".

Redskins, Duck Dynasty, etc. etc. I even heard MSNBC accuse some of being racist for calling Obama by his first name, rather than saying "Mr. President." Welcome to politically correct America, where the minority is all but forgotten.

(for every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction).

<33

Edited by -Wade-, January 14, 2014 - 09:09 PM.

wKNsigp.png

#37 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 9,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted January 14, 2014 - 09:16 PM

With Wade on this one. Not gonna repeat what he's already said. 

#38 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:14 PM

You expect adults to know better than to say things that are likely to invoke a negative emotion out of others. That is understandable, respectable even. Still, you can't expect this from everyone, and even from a scientific point of view, shouldn't (rather a sociological perspective or a psychological perspective).

You speak of basics. Some of the first laws, again, which were based on morality, were to Love you neighbor. They were to turn the other cheek. They were to forgive the enemy when the only thing the enemy did was hate. I am not sure what message you are trying to uphold. I understand that it is important to protect your family when somebody is disrespectful to them, but resorting to physical violence takes away not only from your argument, but from your integrity. You are equally as foolish for resorting to violence, as is the man a fool man for calling somebody a name simply based on their skin color.

We all know what Jesus said on these issues. We all know what Ghandi said. We all know what Muhammad said. Yet, many wish to compromise and "only be the best that they can be," out of convenience. If somebody is being intolerant toward you, why not show them how to be tolerant?

You go on to state, "two wrongs don't make a right." So how does perpetuating violence justify a third wrong? It doesn't.

I don't think the person in your hypothetical would even get 5 miles of the secret service based upon some of the responses in this thread. Hypothetically, I would expect the secret service to usher the man off of the stage.

Accountability and repercussions for one's actions is all I'm talking about. 

Again, basics as in bridling your tongue. Not blurting out every thought that comes out of your perverted mind. Let's say I'm with a woman (spouse/mother/sister) and she is verbally assaulted in this manner. Who's to say what I'd do in that scenario? The key is striving to be Christ-like but I wouldn't judge any man if he decides to give dude a swift back-hand. If some racist dude is all in my family's face spouting off obscenities, then I have every right to defend myself and my family...PERIOD. 

If I'm wrong for defending myself and my family then God will judge me. This isn't about compromise and neither is it about convenience. 

Sometimes defending yourself requires an act of violence. I said "two wrongs don't make a right" because you cited the Westboro church. Defending yourself is not "perpetuating violence".

I used that hypothetical (and in this world it's not a far-fetched one) to illustrate that sometimes it requires an "extreme" response to meet an "extreme" threat.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#39 MARATHON

MARATHON

Rookie

• 257 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:59 PM

This needs a poll. I'm siding with Wade, you can't assault someone for just words. Either have proof they physically meant harm, but even at that the 5-0 don't care about self-defense unless there is proof, or give the beating and make sure no one is there to identify you, pretty much take the f off. My cousin friend severely beat this guy for going to his face and antagonizing him, but guess what dude is in jail serving time, due to the fact he had no proof and that guy girl call the cops and they press charges. Dude was K.O., if he were to die from his injury, yep that's right my cousin friend would be serving life. Lets just say he got a felony and serving couple years. P.S.  I ain't no snitch. :tease:

• It's not what you know; it's what you can prove.
  • You wanna go to jail or you wanna go home?--------------Alonzo Harris Training Day

#40 Danny

Danny

Rookie

• 414 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 15, 2014 - 01:32 AM

I agree with wade also, even though I don't agree with what that teenager said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users