45 replies to this topic

#21 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 5,027 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 11, 2014 - 06:51 PM

Top 3 free agents for 2014 were LeBron, Kobe and Carmelo.

You want to disagree with that? 

They are free agents sure. But their values are not same .. not even close.. at this stage.

Paying top dollar for Kobe was wrong, and Kobe should have taken a paycut voluntarily - like Tim Duncan, to  focus on

championships next year.

As constructed currently the extension makes Lakers'  job to create a championship caliber team much harder.

Edited by Wilfred, January 11, 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#22 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,846 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 11, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Trying or not trying to tank, this team is still tanking. 

#23 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 39,992 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 11, 2014 - 06:57 PM

Trying or not trying to tank, this team is still tanking. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#24 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,846 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:02 PM

Ok maj. Well we just moved from 9th worst to 8th worse since you posted this thread. This team is going no where but down. What ever mitch says doesn't matter because he's letting this season go down in flames as he should at this point. 

Edited by bigfetz, January 11, 2014 - 07:02 PM.

#25 Majesty

Majesty

• 39,992 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Ok maj. Well we just moved from 9th worst to 8th worse since you posted this thread. This team is going no where but down. What ever mitch says doesn't matter because he's letting this season go down in flames as he should at this point. 

Tanking means the Lakers are doing it intentionally.

Why don't you in all your infinite wisdom tell me the move that turns this season around that another team would legitimately accept to turn the Lakers instantly into contenders  :)  Cause if you can't then you're obviously tanking cause you could fix it with a snap of your fingers ;)     

Sometimes not doing anything is the only true option you have depending on how things change day by day.   Maybe in the world of NBA2K you could fix everything in a second, but the real world doesn't work that way.   Mitch not doing anything doesn't mean he's not searching for things to do, and you have no idea what deals he's tried to make happen or what options are on the table.   Not options you imagine or fantasize about, options that are actually on the table. . 

It's only your own impatience, not Mitch's lack of 'doing' anything. :)

Edited by Majesty, January 11, 2014 - 07:17 PM.

#26 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,846 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:17 PM

Tanking means the Lakers are doing it intentionally.

Why don't you in all your infinite wisdom tell me the move that turns this season around that another team would legitimately accept :)  Cause if you can't then you're obviously tanking cause you could fix it with a snap of your fingers ;)   

Well obviously we could have made dumb trades to get us too .400 like giving up our draft pick with certain players. We defintly could have gotten deng by trading pau and our 1st pick. 

Maj I know you want to throw PR quotes out there to prove your point but they are nothing but PR quotes. This team tanking is us doing nothing. If the Lakers really wanted to stop losing they would have fired MDA and gotten made more of an effort to trade pau. Them not doing any of those things screams they want this season to be what its going to be and that a bottom five record. 

#27 Majesty

Majesty

• 39,992 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Well obviously we could have made dumb trades to get us too .400 like giving up our draft pick with certain players. We defintly could have gotten deng by trading pau and our 1st pick. 

Oh really?  You think so ?     The only reason the Bulls unloaded Deng was because they could eliminate Bynum's contract right away to get them under the tax, they wanted to free space immediately.  Pau they'd have had to keep all year, Bynum they could waive right away.  That's why they did it.  

Also we can't trade away our first round pick this year.  And speaking of which why would we trade away a first round 2014 pick... for Deng?  

So you were saying? :)  

Edited by Majesty, January 11, 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#28 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,846 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:24 PM

Well I'm talking about when the bulls were offering deng and boozer. Forgot to mention boozer. It would definitely try get us to at least 10 seed

Edited by bigfetz, January 11, 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#29 Majesty

Majesty

• 39,992 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:33 PM

Well I'm talking about when the bulls were offering deng and boozer. Forgot to mention boozer. It would definitely try get us to at least 10 seed

Why would we take on Boozer's contract when we're trying to clear the books by 2014?  Especially with the way Boozer's been playing do we want him locked in for two years? You think people hated Pau when he has one year left on his contract imagine Boozer for two more years.

Heck a healthy version of this roster would hover around the 8-10th seed, heck up until the Texas trip we WERE the 10th seed for well over a week.  

Why would you want to be the 10th seed anyway given the scenario WITH Boozer's contract?   

It would be a waste of time to be honest with an extra contract we wouldn't need.

The Lakers are only looking to trade Pau for another player and a draft pick in the upcoming draft. 

If not that then they're fine letting him walk in the off-season and potentially freeing up 28 million if Nash retires along with letting Gasol walk... if they had to deal with Boozers contract they'd only have 13 million free if Nash retired. 

One move isn't gonna change this season.

Heck, if Mitch traded Gasol for Kevin Love at the deadline it still wouldn't "save" the season, it would only prepare us for next year.  

And right now Mitch's plan seems about preparation for next year.   Like Mitch said, if Championship was in sight he may make some decisions and sacrifices to try to get it out of this season with his moves. 

But given the position we're in there's no need for him to do such a thing for the sake of doing it.    

Mitch is doing the smart thing right now. 

Edited by Majesty, January 11, 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#30 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,846 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:36 PM

Why would we take on Boozer's contract when we're trying to clear the books by 2014?  Especially with the way Boozer's been playing do we want him locked in for two years? You think people hated Pau when he has one year left on his contract imagine Boozer for two more years.

Heck a healthy version of this roster would hover around the 8-10th seed, heck up until the Texas trip we WERE the 10th seed for well over a week.  

Why would you want to be the 10th seed anyway given the scenario WITH Boozer's contract?   

It would be a waste of time to be honest with an extra contract we wouldn't need.

The Lakers are only looking to trade Pau for another player and a draft pick in the upcoming draft. 

If not that then they're fine letting him walk in the off-season.

One move isn't gonna change this season.

Heck, if Mitch traded Gasol for Kevin Love at the deadline it still wouldn't "save" the season, it would only prepare us for next year.  

And right now Mitch's plan seems about preparation for next year.   Like Mitch said, if Championship was in sight he may make some decisions and sacrifices to try to get it out of this season with his moves. 

But given the position we're in there's no need for him to do such a thing for the sake of doing it.    

Mitch is doing the smart thing right now. 

What are talking about. I would never want that trade. I dont want Mitch to do anything. I want him to sit in his office and let this team lose like they are. From what it seems thats exactly what he's going to do and has been doing. I am ok with this. This is a throw away season. All I care about in this season is for us to maybe get 1 or 2 of our young guys to develop and then get a great draft pick.

I dont even know what your arguing about. Your just arguing to win not prove any point. 

#31 Majesty

Majesty

• 39,992 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 07:41 PM

What are talking about. I would never want that trade. I dont want Mitch to do anything. I want him to sit in his office and let this team lose like they are. From what it seems thats exactly what he's going to do and has been doing. I am ok with this. This is a throw away season. All I care about in this season is for us to maybe get 1 or 2 of our young guys to develop and then get a great draft pick.

I dont even know what your arguing about. Your just arguing to win not prove any point. 

It's the premise that Mitch isn't "tanking". 

You seem to think that Mitch is tanking because he didn't make a trade for Boozer or Deng or something to that effect. 

Mitch isn't tanking by doing that, Mitch is waiting for the right deal for Gasol that makes sense to come along and if none does he'll let him walk in the off-season.

You seem to think that because Mitch hasn't fired D'antoni or sent Gasol away for a deal that wouldn't make sense for longevity that he's tanking.

There is no one move Mitch could make that could turn us into a contender right now, not one that another team would willingly accept in their right frame of mind.     But you seem to think because Mitch hasn't made such a deal yet that he's tanking, he isn't.  

If he was tanking he'd have sent Gasol away for the relative peanuts that Cleveland was offering which wouldn't have really helped us. 

Mitch isn't tanking, acknowledging where you think your team may fall and not taking on gigantic contracts for the sake of saving a season which would then put a damper on any longevity you have in the future isn't tanking, it's smart GM'ing. 

#32 Mehran The Great

Mehran The Great

Immortal

• 2,767 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:41 PM

I think I know what mitch is doing. rebuilding.. dun dun

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#33 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,003 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 10:41 AM

Tanking would require the FO to have the mindsets of intentionally losing. There would be no talks of Kobe and Nash potentially returning. Managements knows that this team doesn't have the health or talent to contend for the playoffs, let alone a championship. They're essentially rebuilding and reloading in simultaneous manners. 

Rebuilding by trading Pau, Kaman, and perhaps others for young assets and/or picks. Then hopefully acquiring a top 5 lottery pick depending on our record and chances.

Reloading by signing marquee free agents the next few offseasons (Deng, Love, Rondo, etc)

#34 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 11:19 AM

Again, the Lakers aren't tanking.  

The Lakers are simply a less than talented team, riddled with injuries, running a terrible system with a below average coach. 

#35 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,371 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 12, 2014 - 11:24 AM

Again, the Lakers aren't tanking.

The Lakers are simply a less than talented team, riddled with injuries, running a terrible system with a below average coach.

Average system. Average coach.

We could insert Triangle and Phil and there would not be more wins. In fact , probably less, bc we would've lost to Clips first game trying to learn that system.
But anyway

#36 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,003 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 11:30 AM

We could insert Triangle and Phil and there would not be more wins. In fact , probably less, bc we would've lost to Clips first game trying to learn that system.
But anyway

We'd actually play defense and perhaps there wouldn't be so many injuries.

#37 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 11:34 AM

But anyway

Wouldn't go that far. 

Triangle and Phil Jackson = slower pace, utilizing certain players better, better rebounding team.

We definitely wouldn't be 14-23 right now.  

#38 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,371 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 11:41 AM

West Coast.

The triangle with NO Kobe, Shaq , Jordan or Pippen.

Phil is great but he isn't a miracle worker.

We don't have any experienced NBA playmakers except the last legs of Gasol.

The available talent is worse than 85% of the league.

#39 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,371 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 11:43 AM

We have the same defensive coach Phil had, lol.

Don't have Kobe, Pau, Lamar or Bynum though.

Oh yea, we have Pau but he fell off in 2011 under Phil.

#40 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted January 12, 2014 - 11:46 AM

West Coast.

The triangle with NO Kobe, Shaq , Jordan or Pippen.

Phil is great but he isn't a miracle worker.

We don't have any experienced NBA playmakers except the last legs of Gasol.

The available talent is worse than 85% of the league.

Thank you for mentioning Gasol, the one player who isn't being utilized correctly in this offense. 

I have zero doubt in my mind that if we were playing inside out, this team's record would be better.  Am I saying they are a playoff team with all the injuries and Phil Jackson? No, but we would at least be a .500 team. Defensive issues in the paint would remain with the current roster obviously.  

Coaching goes a long way in this league.  Talent makes championship teams, but you still need someone to put it together.  D'Antoni can't coach elite players, he can coach role players though. That's been the positive on him throughout the years. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users