Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,454 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:04 PM

Worth the read 

1. Kupchak on the concept of tanking: "It's inconceivable to me that a general manager would try to convey that message to anybody."

Kupchak did acknowledge the distinction between "tanking" and "rebuilding," the latter of which is simply necessary in certain situations.

Kupchak discussed different ratios of trying to win this season vs. planning for next year. Can change by the week/month.

Kupchak declined to say what his current ratio is, but it could go from 90-10 in Nov. to 50-50 in Dec. to 20-80 by Feb., for example

Kupchak said the repeater tax is a "looming black cloud," but there's a big diff. between being a bit over the tax and millions over.

Kupchak on the 2014 Draft Class: "Right now, I would say one through 10 is as good as I've seen in a long time."

Kupchak said LAL made a conscious decision to mostly clear the books for 2014-15, not wanting several aging players on long-term deals.

They "broke ranks" to re-sign Kobe, "but we still feel like we have significant flexibility this summer and next summer," Kupchak said.

I asked Kupchak if they wanted to avoid committing a max deal to someone this summer they weren't fully sure they wanted: "That's right."

Not just free agency LAL looking forward to w/clean books, but ability to take on other players in trades, etc.. "Flexibility" the key word.

Kupchak on Kobe: "One of the premier free agents was going to be Kobe Bryant. He'll no longer be a free agent. We have acquired him."

Kupchak likes Marshall so far, but says you really can't evaluate an NBA player in only 4-5 games. You just know if you want to see more.

Kupchak on N. Young: "He's been great. Whatever he decides to do w/his opt out, we'd certainly like to see him be a Laker for a long time."

Here's the link for the entire Kupchak piece: http://on.nba.com/1cWGxTz  He talks extensively about @paugasol at the end of the interview.

Read More here: http://www.nba.com/l...mitchkupchak_qa

Excerpt from his thoughts on tanking 

MT: Particularly in recent years, there's been dialogue whether amongst fans or media members endorsing "tanking," or essentially losing on purpose to try and increase the number of lottery balls for draft prospects. How do the Lakers look upon that idea?

Kupchak: I've been here over 30 years, and it's never something that's been discussed or talked about. When we go into every season – like most organizations – we're excited about the season and think we can win a lot of games. Expectations vary, of course, but we are always going to do the best to win games that year, while also thinking about the following year. There is no way to believe that a team would, on purpose, do a terrible job in the summer and a terrible job in the draft because they want to lose games the next season. Now, I'm sure once the season begins and things go or don't go your way, the speculation as to what may happen if things continue may arise. We've been through years like that, and there's never been a discussion in midseason in this building where ownership would say, "It's best to lose." That's never taken place. Now, I don't even know how you convey that message to the coach if it were the goal. Coaches are defined by their record; it's intuitive that they do not want to lose. It's inconceivable to me that a general manager would try to convey that message to anybody. So it's never happened here and it never will. It's the worst message you can ever give to anybody.

MT: For the teams that are simply young and don’t know if they can win that season, is there a big difference between “tanking” and “rebuilding?”

Kupchak: There are certain teams with young players and assets with a goal to still win games, but they may remove themselves and say, realistically, we're probably going to be a sub-.500 team. That's different from tanking. Tanking is intentionally instructing the coach to lose, and that’s (not acceptable). Rebuilding is another matter.

Breaking down the "tax" that everyone is afraid of and how Mitch already has answers for it 

MT: How much does the repeater tax penalty impact your thinking when considering the roster for this season and the coming two in particular?

Kupchak: You have to be out of the luxury tax in two out of five years to avoid a repeater penalty. If we stay in the tax this season, it will be three consecutive seasons as taxpayers. Now, how that impacts future decisions depends on the mechanics of each deal. Like anything else, if there is a debt that you have to pay, you'd like to get it behind you as soon as possible. But ownership here has never been afraid to be in the tax. If you're $30 million over the tax as a repeater, that's a tax bill of about $130 million. But if you're in the tax and it's only $1 million over, it's around $2.5 million. So you’re still a repeater in the latter situation, but that’s a big difference.

Hope you enjoy and can take a lot away from this, Mitch's working on something, he usually doesn't do so many Q&As so close to each other.   Glad he intends on signing Nick Young to multiple years whether he opts out or not.  I also like his perspective on the tax.  

Mitch knows what he's doing, doubting him is idiotic imo. 

Edited by Majesty, January 11, 2014 - 02:05 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,590 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:20 PM

Even your thread titles are too long

#3 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Does anyone actually expect a gm to intentionally tank or endorse tanking to the media.
Posted Image

#4 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,454 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:35 PM

I get it from Chicano. 

#5 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,803 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:36 PM

I laughed, a lot

#6 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,247 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:45 PM

Mitch isn't "tanking" but it's obvious what his plans are for the next couple seasons.

Posted Image

#7 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,552 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:49 PM

I get it from Chicano. 

I'll fix it.

"Kupchak Says A Lot in Interview"  :laughing:

Btw is there a video for this or is it just a regular interview

Edited by Ham, January 11, 2014 - 01:50 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,454 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:50 PM

Sounds more like Mitch is rebuilding.   As tanking would be telling the team to lose, rebuilding would be saying to yourself the realistic landing spot for the team and preparing for next year and what moves to be made.  I wonder what his 'ratio' is right now.

#9 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 11, 2014 - 01:56 PM

New article up on the front page, I summarized the article with the key points: 

http://lakernation.c...-to-lakers-com/

#10 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,205 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 02:11 PM

GMs don't intentionally tank, nor does an organization. it sends a bad message around the league, but you also don't hover around mediocrity. you put yourself in homerun/strike-out situations

you sign players that will either hit or miss (which he did)

you don't sell the future to compete now (which he did)

so no he's not tanking, no one has said he was, but he sure as hell put the team in position to boom or bust and not hover around crippling mediocrity

Posted Image

#11 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,948 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted January 11, 2014 - 02:36 PM

I get it from Chicano. 

Nonsense, you've always been a high quality poster (especially and most specifically in the basketball forums). People too often expect brevity in an age of run on sentences and twitter hell. I appreciate and read all of your in-depth responses (and these articles that are shared). I'm sure others do as well and am aware they were joking, I am just stating this for the record. xD

Thanks for the summary, West Coast.

Edited by -Wade-, January 11, 2014 - 02:39 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#12 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,948 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted January 11, 2014 - 02:40 PM

Kupchak: I've been here over 30 years, and it's [tanking] never something that's been discussed or talked about.

I think this says a lot.

Edited by -Wade-, January 11, 2014 - 02:40 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#13 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,748 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 11, 2014 - 04:28 PM

Yeah Mitch whatever - Acquiring Premier FA Kobe Bryant. Good job winning the FA sweepstakes

#14 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,327 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 11, 2014 - 04:31 PM

Great read, thanks for the link. Much more interesting than anything we have to opine about imho.

Mitch is the real deal and that was an excellent interview by Mike

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,454 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 04:50 PM

Yeah Mitch whatever - Acquiring Premier FA Kobe Bryant. Good job winning the FA sweepstakes

Top 3 free agents for 2014 were LeBron, Kobe and Carmelo.

You want to disagree with that? 

#16 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,328 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 11, 2014 - 05:08 PM

I get it from Chicano. 

i used to enjoy reading, and now not as much... but never lose being able to express your thoughts fully.. many people are shackled too incomplete thoughts *myself included sometimes* due to laziness and this new social age lol

ap1.png

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,454 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 05:09 PM

i used to enjoy reading, and now not as much... but never lose being able to express your thoughts fully.. many people are shackled too incomplete thoughts *myself included sometimes* due to laziness and this new social age lol

Gah don't remind me...

#18 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,223 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 11, 2014 - 05:38 PM

Sounds more like Mitch is rebuilding.   As tanking would be telling the team to lose, rebuilding would be saying to yourself the realistic landing spot for the team and preparing for next year and what moves to be made.  I wonder what his 'ratio' is right now.

He doesn't have to tell the team to lose, he can just have the roster he has, the "coach" he has, and the rest will take care of itself. You think the 76ers have to be instructed to lose games, no, they have to be instructed to play the game, the losing takes care of itself. I doubt there has been a GM, coach, player in recent memory that has gone into games trying to lose.  There have however been plenty of rosters that aren't capable of winning much and the outcome is a concerted effort, the Lakers are in that boat.

#19 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Top 3 free agents for 2014 were LeBron, Kobe and Carmelo.

You want to disagree with that?

Don't even address the fans that dislike the extension.

Same fans that would be pissed if Kobe walked at the end of the year.

#20 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Rookie

• 1,281 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 11, 2014 - 05:43 PM

I really hope we continue "rebuilding" so we land a great draft pick.

Edited by MaceWindu, January 11, 2014 - 05:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users