#41 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,728 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 08, 2014 - 06:58 AM

I think if we do tank this season and we end up with a TOP 4 lottery pick, we won't be stuck in mediocrity for the next seasons. Wiggins/Parker/Smart/Embid alongside healthy Kobe, a high-demand FA and our young supporting cast would be enough to become instant contenders.

Would you prefer mediocrity for a long time or bad for 2 or 3 seasons?  Those are the only real options right now.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#42 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,320 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted January 08, 2014 - 07:49 AM

We'll tank only this season. Two would be too much and it'd certainly hurt our franchise's golden legacy.

Get the right draft pick and we will only NEED to tank 1 year. Then its about being as competitive as possible to show free agents who may be a good fit they have a good chance to win here.

Would you prefer mediocrity for a long time or bad for 2 or 3 seasons?  Those are the only real options right now.

Lets pretend our DP busted for whatever reason. Then we continue the tankage till its no longer necessary. But I dont see the guys next year being a bust. But injuries can and will happen to somebody.

#43 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,449 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:17 AM

I disagree on the instant contender thing but it could be a young exciting team worth watching.  I'm not expecting a 19 year old to be good enough mentally to help push this team that far.  The only "high" demand guy this team should focus on is Kevin Love and thats 2015.  Lebron isn't coming and Melo shouldn't even be considered. 

The front office should do what they've done this year excluding the coach.  Bring in young talent that didn't fit elsewhere.  Develop them and see who sticks.  Wes Johnson has earned a spot in my eyes and so has Hill depending on his price tag.  I think Henry can be replaced by a player like Marshon Brooks.  I do think they should make a run at Lowry and a few mid level guys to keep the team competitive.  We don't have a pick next year so there is 0 incentive for the team to suck. 

I think if we do tank this season and we end up with a TOP 4 lottery pick, we won't be stuck in mediocrity for the next seasons. Wiggins/Parker/Smart/Embid alongside healthy Kobe, a high-demand FA and our young supporting cast would be enough to become instant contenders.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#44 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,184 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:25 AM

The Lakers problem is that they have been chasing rings with their core and have made some bad decisions.  Hiring MDA obviously has nothing to do with chasing a ring, because lets get real, the closest he will ever come to winning anything will be an assistant coach with the olympic squad, his system cannot win unless we had straight up superior talent to the rest of the NBA, which we don't.  They have an aging superstar in Kobe Bryant that they have dedicated a ton of money to, they gave Pau Gasol max money when probably nobody else in the league would, and they sign people like Steve Nash to fairly high paying long term contracts.  What does that add up to?  A ton of money on the books for 2 guys that aren't playing and more than likely will never play up to their old levels again (I would say Nash is a certainty on this, Kobe I would be extremely doubtful will return to form, time and injuries beat anyone) and then another guy who puts up fine numbers but nowhere near max money numbers in Pau.  They have tried time and time again to "reload" and chase rings, and each time you do that you have to take on more long term contracts and more money, eventually, with all short term attempts to be good, their is a day of reckoning when you have to deal with all the short sighted decisions that you made in attempts to "win now".  The Lakers are going through that now, with the terrible product that they put on the floor currently, and will continue to go through it until they purge themselves of all of their bad contracts and just plain bad players that would never find themselves getting minutes on a competitive NBA team.  If they get a good player in the draft and try to win next season with Kobe, some young player and another bad signing, they will find themselves in the same position.  Barring them getting a one sided gift of a trade that shakes the foundation of the entire NBA landscape (Pau for Kwame), the Lakers will be eventually faced with being not competitive for a few years to rebuild the team.  Last year they tried to reload and were bad, this year they are facing the music and are just plain terrible and aren't doing anything about it, its a good step, but it takes time to fix something this flawed.

#45 la1904

la1904

Rookie

• 197 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, swaggy p

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Bros.... we got money lol.  We got a few good players as is. Next year is looking like a good year...

We will keep nick and farmar and X.. our bench will be good. 

Plus MDA will be gone! He had me laughing in his post interview last night

#46 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,449 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:47 AM

So do other teams.  What is money if it isn't used wisely? Next year could be a good year but I woudn't expect to contend for anything unless Lebron signs that dotted line.

Bros.... we got money lol.  We got a few good players as is. Next year is looking like a good year...

We will keep nick and farmar and X.. our bench will be good. 

Plus MDA will be gone! He had me laughing in his post interview last night

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#47 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,283 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:09 AM

Lakers do have another pick next year if it's in the top 5. Everyone ready to tank again? Then we can go after Durant in 2016 for that veteran leadership on our young team. Then throw Kobe out in the Cold, and tell him he shouldn't have took that fat contract if he really wanted that 6th ring. It's Durants team now.

We don't have room for losers like Love & Durant. One is injury prone, and can never make the playoffs. The other one is 30, and wants a super max contract.

Tank for Durant!

Edited by Mooninite, January 08, 2014 - 09:12 AM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#48 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,303 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:21 AM

Lakers do have another pick next year if it's in the top 5. Everyone ready to tank again? Then we can go after Durant in 2016 for that veteran leadership on our young team. Then throw Kobe out in the Cold, and tell him he shouldn't have took that fat contract if he really wanted that 6th ring. It's Durants team now.

We don't have room for losers like Love & Durant. One is injury prone, and can never make the playoffs. The other one is 30, and wants a super max contract.

Tank for Durant!

You mean Melo?

#49 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,449 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 10:50 AM

So he controls who he plays for? So one player controls the destiny of a team? So since the Raptors sucked with Bosh that makes him a less capable player?  Love will be like 26 in 2015.  The statements guys that claim to watch basketball are amazing.

Tank for Durant!

#50 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,320 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted January 08, 2014 - 11:58 AM

You mean Melo?

Hes gotta mean Melo.

But I still say Durant does leave OKC when hes a FA.

#51 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Starter

• 5,449 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 12:20 PM

If the team is in the state it's in now, which is should be due to there will be no Perk and they can easily reup Lamb and Jackson unless they turn into some serious all stars.  Then why would he leave a top seed west team? 

Hes gotta mean Melo.

But I still say Durant does leave OKC when hes a FA.

#52 la1904

la1904

Rookie

• 197 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, swaggy p

Posted January 08, 2014 - 02:36 PM

So do other teams.  What is money if it isn't used wisely? Next year could be a good year but I woudn't expect to contend for anything unless Lebron signs that dotted line.

WE GOT MORE MONEY! lol

WE ARE THE LAKERS!

Do i wanna live in LA... or mid-west? Do i wanna play somewhere where they are known for gettin [expletive] done or else where?

this team is 6 games out of play off. They wont tank. even if they don't make the play offs. I don't see them tanking. Lakers never tanked and never will

#53 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,184 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 08, 2014 - 03:30 PM

WE GOT MORE MONEY! lol

WE ARE THE LAKERS!

Do i wanna live in LA... or mid-west? Do i wanna play somewhere where they are known for gettin [expletive] done or else where?

this team is 6 games out of play off. They wont tank. even if they don't make the play offs. I don't see them tanking. Lakers never tanked and never will

The Knicks have tons of money and are in the best market possible, hasn't stopped them from being terrible for 10 years.

#54 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 293 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 08, 2014 - 03:41 PM

The basic idea, and to which I concur, is to allow the team to rebuild from the ground up. 

Where we disagree is whether proven free agents should be purchased at a premium, or whether the team develops middle of the road players into almost super-stars. 

The problem with signing high level free agents, is the luxery tax which we've paid the last 5 years, and becomes more and more onerous.  Yes, we can afford and sign one high level free agent, but then you need a really good solid cast of characters behind the guy. 

I am biased against Carmello types who will want $30 million plus, are ball hogs, and shoot 42%.  While exciting, it just doesn't make sense. 

The San Antonio way, which involves long slow development, is more long term.  They have guys there that would not be starters on other teams, but simply play well under the system. 

Which leads me to another point of figuring out what kind of system, and hence what kind of coach you want.  Obviously, Popovitch is hands down, the best coach out there, so maybe try to lure one of his assistants.  Carmello Anthony wouldn't last one day in San Antonio. 

This is a fun thread, by the way.  Good analysis by smart basketball fans. 

#55 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,041 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted January 08, 2014 - 05:12 PM

I don't understand why the Lakers haven't had a youth movement even when trying to compete over the last few years. It would've complemented their aging core better and it would've helped them find players for the future.

Bottom line, they have to stop giving away draft picks. The Nash deal was awful and they shouldn't have made the Sessions deal if they didn't plan on bringing him back. They had to have known he was going to opt out and look for a multi-year deal.

Posted Image

#56 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 847 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted January 08, 2014 - 08:31 PM

If we get one of those 4, we're not contenders, but we'll be a playoff team.

Embid would take a year or 2 to develop though, he has almost legend-potential.

Honestly, if I was one of those 4 and was looking at the team that are tanking, the Lakers would be my No 1 choice by far.

#57 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,283 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:39 PM

You mean Melo?

Yeah

#58 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,283 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:42 PM

So he controls who he plays for? So one player controls the destiny of a team? So since the Raptors sucked with Bosh that makes him a less capable player?  Love will be like 26 in 2015.  The statements guys that claim to watch basketball are amazing.

Melo took his team to the playoffs in his first year in the league with John Barry, and Tskitishvili. I love how people can criticize Melo all the time, but want to build around a perennial loser like Love.

Even Pau could lead his team to the playoffs.

Edited by Mooninite, January 08, 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#59 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,303 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:47 PM

Yeah

So I take it you don't want Melo on this team? (You have him in your display pic and signature)

#60 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,327 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:51 PM

The basic idea, and to which I concur, is to allow the team to rebuild from the ground up. 

Where we disagree is whether proven free agents should be purchased at a premium, or whether the team develops middle of the road players into almost super-stars. 

The problem with signing high level free agents, is the luxery tax which we've paid the last 5 years, and becomes more and more onerous.  Yes, we can afford and sign one high level free agent, but then you need a really good solid cast of characters behind the guy. 

I am biased against Carmello types who will want $30 million plus, are ball hogs, and shoot 42%.  While exciting, it just doesn't make sense. 

The San Antonio way, which involves long slow development, is more long term.  They have guys there that would not be starters on other teams, but simply play well under the system. 

Which leads me to another point of figuring out what kind of system, and hence what kind of coach you want.  Obviously, Popovitch is hands down, the best coach out there, so maybe try to lure one of his assistants.  Carmello Anthony wouldn't last one day in San Antonio. 

This is a fun thread, by the way.  Good analysis by smart basketball fans. 

I dont think it is necessary to build everything from the ground up, like OKC did. This is LA and getting FAs to come he is possible. 

The thing i like about OKC is that they've managed to collect assets during their building process. They always seem to have a draft pick - this year it's a pick around #20,but still, and they always find guys that fit what they're doing. 

This is old news, but if we get a guy like Embid I think we need to bring back Phil next season and let the system in LA be the triangle. Alternatively you could go with Thibs and his defensive scheme, which would be fine too, 

Melo took his team to the playoffs his first year in the league with John Barry, and Tskitishvili. I love how people can criticize Melo all the time, but want to build around a perennial loser like Love.

Nobody is building around Bosh. Let's build around Pau if that's the case. At least Pau can make the playoffs.

You seem to forget that Nene, Marcus Camby, Andre Miller and Voshon Leonard were on the team as well and that they barely made the playoffs only because the rest of the west sucked. 

But you actually have a point in Love. I could bring a lot of arguments on injuries and reasons why they haven't made the playoffs, but if they dont make it this year, i think you could legitimately start asking questions regarding K-Love. 

I still would like to build around him though. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users