Erykah Badu Hip Hop Rap Music

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 10,920 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted January 06, 2014 - 07:51 AM

This is how I have felt for a very long time. I cosign everything she said. But as a white dude its funny how all my YOUNG rapper friends (black or white) wont take direction and listen to me. Even the ones that ask me to manage them wont fully believe. And they all fully know my background experience with Wu, Nas, Pac, etc in the past. And they know my affiliations into pop music with Brit, BSB and all that. So they know I have a very informed opinion. And they still dont listen. They try 2 get smart and blame "nostalgia". On the real "makin money" aint nostalgic over sheeet. 

Erykah Badu's last sentence just floored me because she was being so honest. Shes always been inspiring and truthful. And I have always been her fan. But after that line I was just 100% bout the lady. 

How y’all gone stand by and let our music turn into pop techno cornball ass music. We don’t own our music no more. Come to think of it, did we EVER own it? when I say own our music , I’m not talkin bout the artist I’m talkin bout the people … let me be quiet. I wanna hear from the young people? easy for me to complain about this techno-pop cause i have a taste for something else. but how do u feel? These rappers ought to be shame of they damn selves, I’m talkin bout the mc’ s rappin over this pop techno music. I believe in pimpin the system buy got DAMN! not like this. #pop-technosongs. I like the idea of no distinction in race when it comes 2 music, but SOULkeepers, U dont give up the boom bip and the hump 4 the payday. I love house and techno as a side dish .But now it’s served as the main course AND that’s ALL u gone get. like chittlins in the back house. I love music PERIOD. just not ready to say goodbye to the boom bip and the hump .. kinda painful for my generation to see. just strange 2me. Yes, no1 wants 2B poor again. artist have2 sacrifice integrity of the music sometimes 2 make ends meet. this is understood.but gotDAMN now. if you’ve never tasted good p*ssy your satisfied with ass hole. (that’s terrible ain’t it .) lol
Erykah Badu

Read more: http://realtalkny.up.../#ixzz2pdKcADNL

#2 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,010 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted January 06, 2014 - 08:23 AM

Erykah is a legend in her own

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#3 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 1,487 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 06, 2014 - 08:56 AM

You a music manager or something?

This is how I have felt for a very long time. I cosign everything she said. But as a white dude its funny how all my YOUNG rapper friends (black or white) wont take direction and listen to me. Even the ones that ask me to manage them wont fully believe. And they all fully know my background experience with Wu, Nas, Pac, etc in the past. And they know my affiliations into pop music with Brit, BSB and all that. So they know I have a very informed opinion. And they still dont listen. They try 2 get smart and blame "nostalgia". On the real "makin money" aint nostalgic over sheeet. 

Erykah Badu's last sentence just floored me because she was being so honest. Shes always been inspiring and truthful. And I have always been her fan. But after that line I was just 100% bout the lady. 

ap1.png

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 30,339 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:38 AM

shots fired at Nicki Minaj heheh 

That's why I love Janelle Monae.   She's probably the most talented artist out there and deserves much more attention. 

I've always liked Steve Blake.

#5 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,243 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 06, 2014 - 09:46 AM

I think people ONLY want to see the music THEY WANT TO SEE

i like all type of artists but in regards to hip hop- IT OBVIOUSLY started it NYC

And the style of music that comes from BIG CITIES has always been different than that of little cities and it's regional and so forth

So now that 2 live crew type music IS BACK, people will focus on that instead of a young guy like Kendrick.

They focus on Cash Money( which says what they are all about in the name of the label) instead of Slaughterhouse.

It reminds me of the arguments I hear in the community between who is the best athlete

Do you realize almost EVERYONE picks guys from the same era

Barry Sanders, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Deion Sanders, Emmit, etc.... And so I ask, do you think because those were your idols growing up, you're biased to that era.

And I'll take it one step further Miss Badu...

Go back to the pre- Wu Tang era

There was a TON of house music influence in hip hop

Bust a Move, Bambatta, etc

whatever tho. Old people love their generation and only remember the very good and very bad, never the average

#6 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 2,420 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 06, 2014 - 10:02 AM

I agree with all she said. that last line was priceless.. It is all record labels and radios doing. record labes pay the radio stations to play their artist. i got tired of hearing the same drake, lil wayne or young jeezy like 15 times a day. that ish kills me.

Posted Image

#7 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 41,943 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 06, 2014 - 10:10 AM

Listen to Gospel

Pau Gasol is TRASH

#8 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,243 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 10:13 AM

I agree with all she said. that last line was priceless.. It is all record labels and radios doing. record labes pay the radio stations to play their artist. i got tired of hearing the same drake, lil wayne or young jeezy like 15 times a day. that ish kills me.

Have you seen the movie Cadillac records? It's why it's called the music biz(industry)\

Art is Art, but business is business... If you go to RADIO or any corporation for your business, then you're going to get that.

Like I said, no one looks back at the 90s and says Tag Team, 2 Live Crew, and a bunch of other artist who didn't have platinum singles, but also had little skill.

They go back to the best of the best

well NOW, today we STILL have Nas and Jay and some of those guy putting out solid music, but THEY are OLD... and like rock n roll used to be, hip hop is FOR THE YOUTH...It's made for TEENAGERS...of course a lot will seem DUMB to a mature adult.

Badu is like 40 years old. Minaj is not for her.

I just hate the "hate" associated with so many things TODAY.

People don't like the government, don't like the music, don't like" particpation medals/trophies, people don't like the softer NFL, etc 

Its a bunch of good out there. In fcact music is really improving, you just have to search through more content.

I hate people who complain about the radio when the Internet is an obvious medium.

And btw, the songs on the radio are the catchiest. If you have a 4-9 year old kid in your family..play Chris Brown and then play D'Angelo or someone like that.

it's not close FOR THEM

for us, it's probably not close the other way.

More than any of that, hip hop and ALL black music made by and for black people, reach more people when their i a dance element.

So Badu, someone who makes slow, chill and smoke weed type songs, will have a niche following, while someone like Beyonce will have a global following

Prince vs Michael Jackson

#9 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,213 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 06, 2014 - 10:46 AM

Music is no longer an art, it's all business, all money ...

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Cavy Music

#10 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Starter

• 5,243 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 11:35 AM

Music is no longer an art, it's all business, all money ...

u dont get paid and its literally millions who dont

#11 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,213 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 06, 2014 - 01:24 PM

u dont get paid and its literally millions who dont

Yeah, but who listen to me and you ? A handfull of people .. Good music is underground, we all know that. If you want to be heard you have to do the stuff that the masses like and the majority of these people like that commerial, "pop techno cornball ass" music that Erykah Badu talks about. It's as simple as that .. Real music is made for the love of music, with passion and not expressly for making money, but for sending a message. That's how I see things.

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Cavy Music

#12 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 1,487 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 06, 2014 - 04:24 PM

it's a balance, you want to make a living but you also want to stay true to yourselves. It really depends on the musician*s* goals and genre they are in..

ap1.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Erykah Badu, Hip Hop, Rap, Music

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users