Photo

Potential Impact Of Pau's Departure On Lakers Spanish Market & Time Warner Cable Deportes

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,614 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:17 AM

I don't think it will be a big deal.

Also I've despised Batum ever since he did that. Coward.

#22 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,217 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 11:04 AM

No Pau on the court = Higher % if winning = $$$

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#23 LakersCeb

LakersCeb

Rookie

• 100 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 05, 2014 - 02:09 PM

More like France had no chance of winning that game and the guy was going mad.

No mod. I watched the game, France dominated the game until the final quarter where Rudy Fernandez made a flop that changes the momentum of the game. Batum was angry as hell. And that happened.

#24 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,707 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted January 05, 2014 - 02:23 PM

More like France had no chance of winning that game and the guy was going mad.
No mod. I watched the game, France dominated the game until the final quarter where Rudy Fernandez made a flop that changes the momentum of the game. Batum was angry as hell. And that happened.

Batum acted like a moron.
Posted Image

• 40,548 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 02:47 PM

I'm "Hispanic" , and it doesn't matter to me at all. Will white people quit watching basketball if there are no white people on the team? No

That's a bad example in my opinion because I'm not just talking about a certain group of people, but more importantly the language. Of course white people would still watch cause the dominant & default language is English regardless. For Hispanics/Latinos, particularly immigrants whom only speak one language (Spanish), it is so much easier for more to follow & relate to the team when they can actually hear a player or more speaking their own native language. That's a bigger draw than some of you might think.

yo.

#26 EJ06

EJ06

Rookie

• 775 posts
  • Fan Since:1995-96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2014 - 03:57 PM

It won't change much. Los Angeles is mostly Latinos and don't really relate much with Spain.

• 40,548 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:00 PM

^ Has almost nothing to do wih the country of Spain so much, but the actual language. You don't seem to understand this fully. It's a huge thing for Hispanics/Latinos who only know Spanish over English (or mostly) to just hear someone else speaking the language even if they're not from the same exact ethinicity or group so to speak. It's something very special to many of them.

yo.

#28 EJ06

EJ06

Rookie

• 775 posts
  • Fan Since:1995-96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:05 PM

^ Has almost nothing to do wih the country of Spain so much, but the actual language. You don't seem to understand this fully. It's a huge thing for Hispanics/Latinos who only know Spanish over English (or mostly) to just hear someone else speaking the language even if they're not from the same exact ethinicity or group so to speak. It's something very special to many of them.

You're exaggerating how big of an influence Pau is on the Spanish speaking community. The Laker fanbase grew because the team was successful, not because Pau can speak Spanish. I highly doubt it will cause a significant decline in viewership.

• 40,548 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 04:09 PM

^ Maybe, maybe not. That'll remain to be seen somewhat.

So who will be their go-to-guy now definitively for the Deportes channel though? Madsen? As mentioned here by someone else (jokingly perhaps)? He's not a player though and not even that important (other than his dancing no offense) in most people's eyes. Big difference.

I know Nash speaks some very little Spanish & close to poor overall, but he's not even playing and isn't always around seemingly. Kobe, a little too, but he's too big shot to do it consistently and again, he himself isn't even around as much these days since he's not playing..

yo.

#30 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 946 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted January 05, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Your putting to much stock in the Spanish language making a big diff. I can speak from experience, the people who do not speak a lick of English are likely not watching basketball anyway, they are watching la liga and other soccer. As far as the same ethnicity, being Mexican you are very likely to have Spanish blood, why do you think we have Spanish last names and not some indiginous name like "Chalchiuitl" or something.

• 40,548 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 06:54 PM

As far as the same ethnicity, being Mexican you are very likely to have Spanish blood, why do you think we have Spanish last names and not some indiginous name like "Chalchiuitl" or something.

It depends of course. There are close to pure blooded (if not fully) Indians, whom still carry those Spaniard/Spanish last names as well as those who are in the middle (relatively mixed with both) mestizos and then those with with pure or mostly Spanish or other European blood.

That European blood is not all Spaniard though. That's a big misconception with most average Americans uneducated on the matter. There were a lot more other European populations that came over for a while and still can have their impact & traces seen today, whether in Mexico in certain parts, as well as some of those of Mexican descent here in the States.

yo.

#32 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,707 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted January 06, 2014 - 04:00 AM

I think the LA's children's hospital is going to be the only place were people are going to actually and sincerely miss Pau.

Kobe Bryant is the other one.

Posted Image

#33 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 39,962 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 06, 2014 - 04:22 AM

I think the LA's children's hospital is going to be the only place were people are going to actually and sincerely miss Pau.

Kobe Bryant is the other one.

I think that's where he's headed once his career is over.  I think that's where his heart truly is now.    I think he wants to be a doctor or use his celebrity for charity.   But winning an NBA Championship seems to have lost the luster to him in comparison to helping children. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#34 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,459 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 06, 2014 - 05:24 AM

Pau being gone isn't going to change anything for any market for the Lakers. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#35 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,565 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted January 06, 2014 - 02:05 PM

Someone reaching....

2hf753r.jpg

#36 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 8,949 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted January 06, 2014 - 02:30 PM

Regardless.

Navarro had nothing to do with Fernandez' actions.

Edited by Disaster in Paradise, January 06, 2014 - 02:30 PM.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users