Photo

What Are Some Good HDDs For Intense & Heavy 1080p Video Editing?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:45 AM

What are some good HDDs you'd recommend that would be capable of handling intense & heavy 1080p video editing fairly well to great?

Edited by    , January 04, 2014 - 01:45 PM.

yo.

#2 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,876 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:20 AM

HDDs? internal or external?  

i usually go with western digital for everything internal, with the only variation being SSDs.  but i also haven't purchased a HD in awhile...let me know what you're looking for

Posted Image

#3 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,084 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2014 - 01:52 PM

For intense and heavy video editing, you may want to focus on a GPU and memory. With a better GPU and more memory (and faster memory), you will be able to render a video faster and edit it with less lag. The hdd, which will also help, will want faster read and write speeds if you are looking for a performance boost. A solid state drive (SSD) would be the way to go. You are getting performance over storage capacity with an SSD (which is why a 128GB SSD is about the same price as a 1.5TB Raid0 hdd).

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 01:53 PM

HDDs? internal or external?  

i usually go with western digital for everything internal, with the only variation being SSDs.  but i also haven't purchased a HD in awhile...let me know what you're looking for

Yeah, I kinda have my eyes on these two, what do you guys think?

http://www.amazon.co...s=wd black 1 tb

or maybe this one:

http://www.amazon.co...=seagate hybrid

Would you guys recommend either or?

I'm upgrading from a solid, but extremely low storage Crucial 64gb SSD:

http://www.amazon.co...rucial 64gb ssd

I realize I may sacrifice speed just a tad with the other two I'm looking at now, but I really want a full TB just to ensure I have a crapload of space & don't have to worry about all the stupid bloatware that adds up over time from Windows 7 in the windows install folder as well as winsxs, etc.

& obviously price is somewhat of an issue, I mean I could definitely afford a full TB SSD pure, but obviously pure SSDs cost a lot more and I just don't wanna' spend all that much so if I have to sacrifice again a little bit of speed, I'm okay with that, as long as whatever HDD I get is still solid enough to hand 1080p HD video editing fairly or smoothly enough.

Edited by    , January 04, 2014 - 01:53 PM.

yo.

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 01:57 PM

Also, as far as GPU & memory, that's no issue at all. I had my computer built several years ago and bought all the parts, most pretty much being close to top of the line. Built a beast, but again, the only issue now has been that HDD. So little space left cause of all the Windows 7 bull[expletive]. I already did just about all I could cleaning up as much as I could including unecessary files, etc etc... but at some point, you sorta just have to keep a lot of junk because of Microsoft's bull[expletive]. I did my research and did the best I could (in trying to fix that & free up as much space as I could).

I've got another HDD loaded on with a full TB already, but that's not my main drive of course & so it's different and even if I were to try & make it so, it's not nearly as fast as my SSD nor even do I think the other two that I'm now looking at...

Edited by    , January 04, 2014 - 01:57 PM.

yo.

#6 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,876 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:17 PM

if you want the space over the speed as far as the drive is concerned, i'd go with that WD you posted...64mb cash, 7200rpm...won't get much better than that unless you go with a WD raptor (assuming they still make those) or something much more expensive.  

actually don't know much about the solid state hybrid...maybe someone can enlighten as i'm too lazy to research, *cough* wade *cough* i assume he's up on it...

just my two cents...been out of the computer building game for a good year or so, and i'm sure a lot has changed in that time so see what others have to say

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users