Photo

Nash leaves game vs. Jazz, only played due to roster depletion; ruled OUT for OKC game

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

#1 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 782 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:53 PM

"Even if Nash can sustain his health enough to get back on the court this season, the Lakers will have the option to waive him before 2014-15 via the stretch provision and pay the remaining $9.7 million on his deal over a three-year period with only about $3.2 million counting against the cap annually."

http://espn.go.com/l...february-return

#2 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 03, 2014 - 05:58 PM

If Nash gets waived, I think he'll get picked up by a team if he still wants to play. I don't think he will medically retire, nobody would leave 9.7 million on the table.

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,714 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:01 PM

If Nash gets waived, I think he'll get picked up by a team if he still wants to play. I don't think he will medically retire, nobody would leave 9.7 million on the table.

He is guaranteed the money. We just wont have all the 9+ mill count against us next season. It would stretch out the contract to 3 years . He's getting his money no matter what unless he retired non medically. Even a medical retirement would still get him his full salary. 

#4 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,158 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:04 PM

Still want him on our coaching staff. One of the best guys ever. Interview, locker room, on the floor. Hate that his time with the Lakers screwed the pooch

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#5 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 782 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:07 PM

Sorry, I kind of screwed up the title, I meant that I did not know that, not that Nash didn't know it.

I was just kind of shocked because I don't remember anyone talking about it--it was always about retirement or trades.

A very interesting option though... 

#6 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,490 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:24 PM

This is great news.

#7 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:26 PM

Old news Lakers we're gonna do this regardless of his health to create more cap space this summer
Posted Image

#8 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,933 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:42 PM

I wish he would humbly choose to not exercise his option for next season.  

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#9 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,091 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:46 PM

Nash gives a 14 minute Interview on his status: 
Worth the listen as well as the read

Q: On making a return when the team embarks on the Grammy trip:
Nash: I think originally I was hoping to get on that trip and start playing, but maybe I was a little hasty in that goal. Nothing is guaranteed for me. I get these ideas in my head. At some point, I have to also realize (I need to) do the safest thing and the best possible opportunity to play basketball again rather than letting my angst get the best of me and jumping back in there. If it doesn’t work this time, I really put the season in jeopardy and I’m back to square one with like three months left of the season. It leaves me a very little opportunity. I know I can get healthy. It’s a matter of can I sustain it? Just trying to get that health under my belt for the amount of time where I feel confident where it can be sustainable is the tricky part and that’s probably going to take a little while longer than I was hoping.

Q: On if things are moving in the right direction for him:
Nash: Yeah, they are. Every time I get a chance to go to Vancouver, I really improve. But it’s tough getting up and back. It’s such an unordinary proposition. I have every confidence we can get there on the work we’ve done up there and here, and putting the two together. I feel confident I have a chance to play again. It’s just a matter of how lucky and how strong I can get to protect those nerve roots and that lower spine.

Got really emotional listening to and reading all this, the guy really really wants to play his heart out for us, he is going through a LOT to come back and sacrificing even more.   

It really makes me sick to my stomach when people accuse Nash of stealing money or just taking advantage or insinuating that he's doing this to spite us intentionally. 

The guy wants it THAT badly FOR us and just wants to play, he wants to finish his career as a Laker and he wants to play as hard as he possibly can even if it sacrifices his future years he's willing to give all he can in his short window for us and is putting his body through a LOT, basically down to relearning how to walk and posture and run again.    The guy is a hard worker and I truly truly hope we see him come back for us healthy as he possibly can get to this year. 

Win, lose or draw, if Nash is able to finish this season healthy or even playing at a semblance of a high level along with Kobe I'll be happy no matter what.

Edited by Majesty, January 03, 2014 - 06:47 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#10 LAKing85

LAKing85

Rookie

• 448 posts
  • Fan Since:89'
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe "Black Mamba" Bryant

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:49 PM

PLEASE RETIRE!!!!

#11 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,254 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 03, 2014 - 07:23 PM

idk what kind of idiots actually think Nash is trying to be spiteful and not play on purpose?? This dude is the ultimate teammate and more than that... PROFESSIONAL. I feel for this dude.. he's a great point guard

ap1.png

#12 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,209 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 03, 2014 - 07:39 PM

He is guaranteed the money. We just wont have all the 9+ mill count against us next season. It would stretch out the contract to 3 years . He's getting his money no matter what unless he retired non medically. Even a medical retirement would still get him his full salary.

In think if it's medical retirement, he gets paid, but it doesn't count in the lakers cap space.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,091 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 03, 2014 - 07:40 PM

idk what kind of idiots actually think Nash is trying to be spiteful and not play on purpose?? This dude is the ultimate teammate and more than that... PROFESSIONAL. I feel for this dude.. he's a great point guard

You'd be amazed the kind of disrespectful things some Lakers "fans" have said and implied about Nash. 

Edited by Majesty, January 03, 2014 - 07:40 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#14 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,714 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 03, 2014 - 07:43 PM

In think if it's medical retirement, he gets paid, but it doesn't count in the lakers cap space.

Yea it doesnt count. 

#15 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:43 PM

He should have MDA's job.

#16 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,964 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:58 PM

I rather keep him on the contract just to have him in the organization. It's not like we're saying any one this offseason anyway.

#17 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:33 AM

Retire already

#18 PurPnYellowLaker

PurPnYellowLaker

Rookie

• 463 posts
  • Name:alejandro
  • Fan Since:platon
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 05, 2014 - 03:03 AM

Hope he retires his shot is even broken. How does Florida sound Nash live it up bro

#19 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 519 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted January 05, 2014 - 03:10 AM

If he is eligible to be waived, can we waive Bynum as well if said deal goes through?

#20 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Rookie

• 1,146 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 05, 2014 - 07:10 AM

Do you guys see him coaching in this league ala Jason Kidd? I see him being more involved in soccer once he retires.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users