#2121 JDuggernaut

JDuggernaut

Rookie

• 102 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 17, 2015 - 08:42 PM

http://espn.go.com/v...6&ex_cid=espnFB

Pretty sure this is meant to be satire, but woo wee, I don't think I've seen a cringier video this week.

I don't know what universe Amin lives in, but there is ample proof in tons of books that Magic was called a coach killer, and the media hounded Jordan relentlessly about being a gunner, and often said a team based around a scoring guard could never be champions.

Seems kinda weak to attempt to prove someone's facts wrong when you yourself don't know what you're talking about, but that's just me.

First of all, I doubt that guy is old enough to remember the days before MJ won or when Magic was called "Tragic Johnson." I'm not either, but I know my history well enough to know that everything Kobe said about those guys/teams was what was said by contemporary critics. And then he says that the Lakers sucked this year b/c Kobe didn't pass. He averaged nearly 6 assists per game this year. Just a whole lot of fail in a video by a guy I've never heard of.

Edited by JDuggernaut, May 17, 2015 - 08:42 PM.

#2122 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 3,265 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted May 17, 2015 - 09:02 PM

a lot of us would be terrible pro athletes.. we would bite into eerything the media said about us lol

ap1.png

#2123 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,313 posts

Posted Today, 09:27 AM

@MySportsLegion: Mitch Kupchak on if Kobe will retire after next season: "He has indicated to me that this is it."

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#2124 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,251 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted Today, 09:38 AM

When Kupchak made similar comments to Cowherd 2 days ago, he said that Kobe implied that he would be done in 2016 at the time he signed his extension.

Kupchak also said he doesn't expect any form of contract negotiation with Kobe until "about a year from now."

Kobe has publicly stated since that time, that he has not decided what he is going to do.

I think Kupchak wants to approach the future assuming that Kobe is a free agent in 2016, and the Lakers can make the best decision for the team at that time.   There will be no more extensions. 

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#2125 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 5,500 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted Today, 10:03 AM

This Is It. For those who have never seen the man play, try your hardest to this year.

#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg

#2126 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,681 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted Today, 10:09 AM

Just the thought of Kobe Bryant retiring...waaaaay too emotional.

#2127 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,663 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted Today, 10:38 AM

A end of an era

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#2128 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 8,336 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted Today, 10:49 AM

I think this season will be better statistically for Kobe.
I give his shooting percentage a bump with this shoulder injury taken care of.

#2129 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,957 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted Today, 11:28 AM

Really just sounds like Mitch doesn't want him back. I think when Kobe comes back next year he will be much better. Not in terms of being the player he once was, but he will have a better feel for the game now and can help the team actually win. What he can do, how he can go about in doing things I think he understands. His shooting % will probably go up I'm assuming since he knows which shot he can or cannot take now.

His play making was still elite last season. So was his rebounding. I think he can offset his defensive deficiencies by having better offensive numbers.

But the vibe from Mitch is that he doesn't want him on the team anymore and wants to end the Kobe era and start a new era. Get away from that win now stuff. Which makes sense.

If Kobe manages to have a solid next year and decides to return for 2016-2017, he will be the second most sought out free agent after Durant.

Sucks though. 2005-2007. How the [expletive] do the Lakers not compete for championships? The FO robbed the Lakers potentially 3 championships more. They had a legitimate chance of 3-peating TWICE.

Edited by Jackson, Today, 11:29 AM.

#2130 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 1,089 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted Today, 11:43 AM

I remember when Kobe was just this 18 yr old high flyer coming off the bench. Nick and Eddie were my favorites back then.

96'-16'

That's a [expletive]ing good run imo.

#2131 Mychal

Mychal

Off The Bench

• 2,466 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted Today, 11:55 AM

If he decides to go, it will be one hell of career.

He's the best basketball player I've ever seen. In his prime he was insane offensively, fundamentally perfect, and a doberman on defense.

The people that vote for MVP should be ashamed that they only gave Kobe 1. Shaq, too.

#2132 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 4,091 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted Today, 12:02 PM

I can't wait to go to some games next year. Obviously I couldn't justify spending the money to go and see the team we had on the floor the last two years but this will be fun. Clarkson/ Randle/ Kobe/ Rook/ FA should be a fun team to watch again. I'll get to say I watched Kobe in person during his last NBA season, hell, I should probably get some nosebleeds for his last home game (gonna be $$$$$ as [expletive] I bet) and save the ticket stubs.

#2133 RobBlake

RobBlake

Sixth Man

• 3,265 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted Today, 12:08 PM

on espn ticker it said.. last year with team.. not necessarily retire

ap1.png

#2134 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,251 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted Today, 12:22 PM

If you will simply read the quotes from Mitch and Kobe, the truth is there. Nothing is final.

He might retire at the end of next season.

There will be no extension given in - season.

If he decides in season that he wants to retire at year end, then the team will be happy to honor him in whatever way he wants.

But note, Kupchak mentions that it could be awkward to honor him, if he decides to keep playing.

It is simple. Kobe is on borrowed time. We all know that. The Lakers are building a team that will no longer be centered around Kobe. We know that.

But, if Kobe ends the season healthy and plays well, then he and his agent can talk about what a future with the team beyon 2016 looks like. If there is still a fit, then we may see Kobe again in LA after next season. If not, then he probably retires.

Mitch is using good judgment here. Kobe has ended his last 3 seasons sitting out with significant injuries. He told Mitch in 2013 he would probably hang em up in 2015. There is no more "building around" Kobe. Accordingly, Mitch is planning for a future without him.

Edited by UKUGA, Today, 12:23 PM.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#2135 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 1,089 posts
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted Today, 12:36 PM

The people that vote for MVP should be ashamed that they only gave Kobe 1. Shaq, too.

Biggest crime in sports history imo.

I think Shaq and Kobe got penalized too much by the media and the league for being too cocky about their abilities.

#2136 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 45,664 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted Today, 12:41 PM

Mitch said that and then every other statement was an "if Kobe returns" answer. Talking about the next free agency period.

The truth is, it's Kobe's decision. If the Lakers put together a solid team this season, and make a splash in free agency this off-season that will make some kind of run even if Kobe didn't return, Kobe will return. If it looks 2-3 years away he is likely to retire.

Mitch is basically saying "he says this is basically it. Now in a year will that change? Maybe. We haven't talked about it and probably won't during the season. But just in case he returned .. if you're a free agent that doesn't want to play with someone as devoted to winning as him we don't want you here."

It's the basic Mitch answers. But Mitch is going to build the team as if Kobe is retiring this off-season which is precisely what he should do.

Edited by Majesty, Today, 12:42 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kobe, Bryant, injury, mamba

8 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

UKUGA, Google (1)