• Fav. Laker:24

Posted April 15, 2015 - 09:26 AM

Shaq put it in the air by ballooning to 350

Rookie Shaq vs 2005 Shaq

compared to how Kareem, Wilt, Zo kept up

even Shaq stepped it up after he was traded

#2102 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 44,701 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 15, 2015 - 09:57 AM

That he did. And got no criticism For it.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#2103 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,402 posts

Posted April 15, 2015 - 12:04 PM

Most of it is the insecurity his success gives extreme Kobe fans. The same fans that think everyone but them likes Kobe. Lebron is pretty annoying to me but I find myself defending him sometimes b/c I respect champions.

That applies to me. I have respect to the guy but I feel insecured that he'd pass Kobe on the all time list.

#2104 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Superstar

• 7,605 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 15, 2015 - 07:46 PM

No.  Go read Kobe's tweet again.  Before rings there was NEVER a narrative about Shaq not being serious enough to be a winner nor about him being lazy.  Shaq won rings THEN got lazy and Kobe was the first to call him out on it. 

Shaq put it in the air by ballooning to 350

Rookie Shaq vs 2005 Shaq

compared to how Kareem, Wilt, Zo kept up

even Shaq stepped it up after he was traded

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2105 kozmo

kozmo

Rookie

• 1,252 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:kone

Posted April 15, 2015 - 07:47 PM

Jodym what happened....did Kobe announce his retirement?

#2106 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Superstar

• 7,605 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 11:46 AM

I find this to be odd since there isn't an official all time list.  They are also extremely subjective to the point that its useless to have an official one.  In some eyes KB is the best outside MJ or even better.  LBJ can't hurt or help anything KB has done. 

That applies to me. I have respect to the guy but I feel insecured that he'd pass Kobe on the all time list.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#2107 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,402 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 12:33 PM

I find this to be odd since there isn't an official all time list.  They are also extremely subjective to the point that its useless to have an official one.  In some eyes KB is the best outside MJ or even better.  LBJ can't hurt or help anything KB has done. 

I have Kobe anywhere from 4th to 6th. Not lower nor higher. Its interchangeable depends on what do you value more in players..

I think its more due to media hype that people dislike LeBron more than anything but i gotta say this, his supporters ,fan and media, are as annoying as the Kobe ones.Anyone who would say Kobe is overall better than MJ has to see a doctor. I'd say some parts of his game is better than Jordan but overall Jordan has the edge with a somewhat good margin.

LeBron has a good case to be in the top 10 or even in the top 5 if he's able to add more rings to his accolades. This guy was able to net Miami 2 rings and 4 finals and getting a lottery team to be 2nd in the east. 

What people cant accept is enjoying that players like Kobe and LeBron wont happen again cause all they think of is ranking and comparisons, im probably one of them. I dont think we'd be seeing top ten like player for a long time.

#2108 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,823 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted April 16, 2015 - 04:05 PM

Most of it is the insecurity his success gives extreme Kobe fans.  The same fans that think everyone but them likes Kobe.  Lebron is pretty annoying to me but I find myself defending him sometimes b/c I respect champions. 

I think the media really played a big role in the hate LeBron gets.

Kobe was on top of the basketball world from 2005-2010. But very seldom did the media admit he's the best player. They always pointed to some stupid advanced stat and found some way for LeBron to be considered better. Even during the 2-peat.

It is what it is. Kobe didn't help himself with the whole Colorado thing and his blunt-no filter persona towards the media.

#2109 Mychal

Mychal

Off The Bench

• 2,308 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted April 16, 2015 - 05:07 PM

http://espn.go.com/v...6&ex_cid=espnFB

Pretty sure this is meant to be satire, but woo wee, I don't think I've seen a cringier video this week.

I don't know what universe Amin lives in, but there is ample proof in tons of books that Magic was called a coach killer, and the media hounded Jordan relentlessly about being a gunner, and often said a team based around a scoring guard could never be champions.

Seems kinda weak to attempt to prove someone's facts wrong when you yourself don't know what you're talking about, but that's just me.

Edited by Mychal, April 16, 2015 - 05:13 PM.

#2110 Mychal

Mychal

Off The Bench

• 2,308 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted April 16, 2015 - 05:34 PM

Never understood why a lot of folks hated LeBron, either, to jump into the previous conversation on the last page.

He's a great player, lots of fun to watch. I'm always down for that.

#2111 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,823 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 05:56 PM

http://espn.go.com/v...6&ex_cid=espnFB

Pretty sure this is meant to be satire, but woo wee, I don't think I've seen a cringier video this week.

I don't know what universe Amin lives in, but there is ample proof in tons of books that Magic was called a coach killer, and the media hounded Jordan relentlessly about being a gunner, and often said a team based around a scoring guard could never be champions.

Seems kinda weak to attempt to prove someone's facts wrong when you yourself don't know what you're talking about, but that's just me.

Holy [expletive] that was terrible.

#2112 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Superstar

• 7,605 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 06:09 PM

I disagree bro.  Advanced stats wasn't even huge then and even then advanced stats have been kind to Kobe.  The only time people talk about inefficiency with Kobe is when he's in hero mode.

There were plenty of pundits and NBA heads that said Kobe was the best player during his prime years. The problem is the Lakers weren't contending for [expletive], he was falsely blamed for Shaq leaving, the rape case and in the midst of that Shaq wins another ring with a young elite guard on the come up.  Lebron's prime was actually spent on the best team in the NBA instead of slaving away in Cleveland which he would have never won a ring in.  This is why in hindsight people talking down on him for leaving is stupid.  Kobe had a franchise with paper and assets and willing to take huge risk and the competitive advantage of one of the best cities for rich people on the globe.  Lebron broke down ass Cleveland.  The only thing I know and care about from Cleveland is Bone Thugs N Harmony lol.

I think the media really played a big role in the hate LeBron gets.

Kobe was on top of the basketball world from 2005-2010. But very seldom did the media admit he's the best player. They always pointed to some stupid advanced stat and found some way for LeBron to be considered better. Even during the 2-peat.

It is what it is. Kobe didn't help himself with the whole Colorado thing and his blunt-no filter persona towards the media.

#2113 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 6,823 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 06:44 PM

I disagree bro.  Advanced stats wasn't even huge then and even then advanced stats have been kind to Kobe.  The only time people talk about inefficiency with Kobe is when he's in hero mode.

They were not AS huge but don't forget John Hollinger. He made that PER crap and Kobe was always ranked 10th in that stat. Writers would often justifying Kobe not getting 3 MVPS instead of Nash, Nash, and then Nowitzki because they ranked higher in PER.

This was all from 2006-2010.

Writers I recall directly targeting Kobe were:

John Hollinger

Henry Abott

Chard Ford

Bill Simmons

Chris Broussard

Rich Bucher

And many more.

So you had these writers with some agenda against Kobe and at the same time they were saying LeBron is going to be better than Jordan. So as a fan it became really irritating. Kobe at this absolute prime was amazing to watch. He was doing historic things but they were always criticized. So I really think the media could've done a better job.

Look at James Harden now. Look at how ugly his game is, his major defensive flaws and how most of his points come from free throws. Do we see critical articles?

Did we see critical articles on Iverson all the time?

You make good points, and I think as people grow, they start to careless about who says what. I was a bit younger when Kobe was in his prime so I viewed things differently.

I'm not the biggest LeBron fan, but I've been impressed with his new killer instinct and him showing up time and time again in the playoffs.

#2114 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,591 posts

Posted April 16, 2015 - 10:49 PM

Never understood why a lot of folks hated LeBron, either, to jump into the previous conversation on the last page.

He's a great player, lots of fun to watch. I'm always down for that.

The moment he was drafted, he was my favorite in that bunch with Melo, Wade, and Bosh. I didn't have anything against him, and enjoyed him for 2 years.

Then, something happened. 2006 All star game. He was so selfish, and just didn't pass the damn ball the whole game. Then I turned on him. A year later he made it to the Finals, which I thought was bull[expletive] how it happened over Pistons at that time. I may have been bitter since Lakers were struggling at that time. But it is what it is. From that point on I've seen a lot of people riding Lebron bandwagon, and bashing Kobe and downplaying his ridiculous numbers - 81, 62 in 3q, 10x 50+ points in a season etc. just because Lebron had couple more assists than Kobe. Everybody saw that Lebron was stat padding in games. Even now he does it, and people give him a pass as they say Lebron is point forward. Kobe could do everything Lebron could, and much more. Yet that is not his role, or who he is. Lebron was never heir to Jordan as he never developed that killer instinct. Hands down he has great skills but more than often overrated. Do folks say the same thing about Penny? Hill? T-Mac? Yet here we see people talk about Lebron as if they have never seen that type of basketball play. At some point it became irritating. Much more when the media brought PER as the primary argument to his defense. Eye test never lied. To this day, Lebron has not surpassed Kobe's prime in any way. That's the bottomline.

I really wish he was in Western Conference for once. You see now how Curry and Harden battle for MVP with carrying their teams, and you have Davis, Westbrook and CP3 following them closely while Lebron is riding the EC by himself like a boss. Same [expletive] happened in Kobe's prime too. All those big boys were in West and they all had good teams. Duncan, Garnett, T-Mac, CP3, DWill, Nash, Dirk, Melo... All Lebron had to deal with was declining Pistons for a year, and he got put in his place by Celtics and Dwight's Magic. Had to jump the ship to get his title. When media elevates the dude undeservingly despite all these points (MVPs), the hate is warranted. And Lebron doesn't really help his case on and off the court. He's just not on level people make him to be.

#2115 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 3,292 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted April 17, 2015 - 07:35 AM

^ Yeah, he is.

But his greatness in no way should diminish kobe's greatness. Nor does it.

I wish the league was filled with LeBrons and Kobe's and Harden's and Curry's.

But its not and thats what makes these guys so amazing.

Ive watched this game forever, and theres about 10-15 guys every season that you always have to be aware of where they are on the court. Because they always make things happen.

The rest are just there to fill the league out.

My suggestion is to enjoy the special ones even if they dont play for your team.

Greatness is greatness. Love to hate them if you must.

The player i hated the most in my lifetime was Larry Bird. HATED!

Also wish i got to see him play every night of the season

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (Nope, another season ending injury), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...season ending injury game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet, but Black looks nice), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron coaching to tank and injure)

Season summary...awful and unwatchable.

#2116 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 20,581 posts

Posted April 17, 2015 - 02:11 PM

The rest are there to fill the league out? Lol I think the rest are there to play basketball, do what they love (some of them) and make a living
Posted Image

#2117 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 3,292 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted Yesterday, 06:44 AM

The rest are there to fill the league out? Lol I think the rest are there to play basketball, do what they love (some of them) and make a living

Well my point was they are interchangeable and not the ones you really look forward to seeing. YMMV

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (Nope, another season ending injury), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...season ending injury game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet, but Black looks nice), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron coaching to tank and injure)

Season summary...awful and unwatchable.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kobe, Bryant, injury, mamba

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users