#41 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,457 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2014 - 02:53 PM

Pau Gasol's stats for the season.

Points Per Game:  15.3 (2nd on the team)

Minutes Per Game:  30.4 (3rd on the team)

Offensive Rebounds Per Game:  1.9 (2nd on the team)

Defensive Rebounds Per Game:  7.6 (1st on the team)

Overall Rebounds Per Game:  9.5 (1st on the team)

Assists Per Game:  3.2 (6th on team) not really a relevant statistic for a 4 or 5.

Blocks Per Game:  1.4 (1st on team)

Thus are just statistics, so you can use your own subjectivity to twist it however you'd like.

yeah on a team that sucks and is 5 games under .500... 

funny how you avoided FG% LOL

Edited by Ham, January 04, 2014 - 02:54 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#42 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,180 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:01 PM

yeah on a team that sucks and is 5 games under .500... 

funny how you avoided FG% LOL

His FG % is .449 which is 5th on the team and a I believe 1st among starters (not sure on that), he also makes more field goals than anyone else on the team.  You can spin it however you'd like.  Yes, this is on a team that sucks and is 5 games below .500, what these stats would suggest is that he is one of the few bright spots on a terrible team, which is true.  The Lakers will be far worse off without him, and they generally get blown off the court even by the dregs of the NBA without him and are only 2 games below .500 with him in the lineup.  Once again, just objective numbers and statistics, unlike the eye test.

#43 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,457 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:04 PM

His FG % is .449 which is 5th on the team and a I believe 1st among starters (not sure on that), he also makes more field goals than anyone else on the team.  You can spin it however you'd like.  Yes, this is on a team that sucks and is 5 games below .500, what these stats would suggest is that he is one of the few bright spots on a terrible team, which is true.  The Lakers will be far worse off without him, and they generally get blown off the court even by the dregs of the NBA without him and are only 2 games below .500 with him in the lineup.  Once again, just objective numbers and statistics, unlike the eye test.

hes an average player getting paid 19 million dollars on a team full of nobodies.. of course he will fair ahead of everyone. you can live in the illusion if you want. idrc.  :smh:

Edited by Ham, January 04, 2014 - 03:04 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#44 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,180 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:05 PM

hes an average player getting paid 19 million dollars on a team full of nobodies.. of course he will fair ahead of everyone. you can live in the illusion if you want. idrc.

nobody is saying he is great, everyone agrees he is overpaid.  He is the best player on a very bad team.

#45 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,999 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:43 PM

Yes, I did post those stats from one game. I've stated numerous times that Pau will have elite games but he won't be able to sustain them. I won't be surprised if he starts producing triple doubles in a row. Will that mean he's an elite center? No, but he's not an awful player. 

I'm not sure why you'd rather have those play defense but alright. Although defensive rebounds have been one of our weaknesses, Pau's 9th out of all the centers this year. He's ahead of Joakim Noah, Marc Gasol, Chris Bosh, Tyson Chandler, Roy Hibbert, etc. 

Once again, Pau was NEVER known for his defense. His offensive game used to be so elite that it clouded over his defensive deficiencies. 

Yes, those are serviceable numbers and Pau is a serviceable player. He can draw double teams and effectively create plays for others. Notice how terrible our 3P% was those games Pau was out? You're setting too high of a standard for Pau. He will be 34 years old soon. There aren't many centers that play at that age. At his age and this stage of his career, yes he is a serviceable center. 

There is more to basketball than the tangible aspects. He'll be able to play free from trade rumors. He won't become defensive player of the year but he has the ability to produce 17/10 on 50%+ shooting on another team.

What's the point of you providing stats from ONE GAME??? I've been posting statistics on Pau Gasol for YEARS and you Pau Gasol-apologists go mum and/or disappear. He's an awful player and just because he can throw together a handful of good games (among 82+) means diddly-squat. 

I'd rather those guys play defense because it's impossible for anyone to be worse than Pau Gasol. 

You wanna talk about defensive rebounds? Ok. 8 Defensive Rebounds Per Game...guess what? That's one more than his career average. Outstanding huh? You wanna cherry-pick then I can say he's averaging a career low in ORPG. 

So because he "was never known" for his defense means he is not required to play it? Sounds like another Pau Gasol cop-out to me. 

Those are not "serviceable" numbers; they are weak numbers. Among qualified centers, he's dead last in FG%. 

Any team that doubles Pau Gasol is stupid. There's simply no reason to do so. Many times over, he has been single-covered by guys who some consider to be inferior to him and to players who are smaller than he is. 

Man, how many games was Pau out? Dude has played 30 games; small sample size. I really could care less about 3PT% because all it reminds me of is the only thing MDA likes to do. 

Pau can't even be average so my standards are definitely not too high.

It's a high standard to expect a guy to show up in the playoffs? (Hasn't done so in forever)

It's a high standard to expect a player to play defense? (Yeh...)

It's a high standard to expect a player to average close to 20 PPG? (Been a while)

It's a high standard to expect a "big" man to shoot 50% from the field? (Been a while)

It's a high standard to expect a big man not to flop? (Soft player)

It's a high standard to expect a player not to turn the ball over? (He brings it low and it's definitely getting stripped)

Don't give me that "34" cop-out. How old was he in '10/'11?

There is more to basketball than the tangible aspects

Obviously. Too bad Pau provides next to nothing intangible and worthwhile towards winning ball games. 

He'll be able to play free from trade rumors

Poor guy, huh? Here he is making $19 mil a year and the trade rumors are making him feel so bad. Here's a thought: How about you play well and you wouldn't have to worry about that. IIRC, he was coming off that horrific '10/'11 playoff performance when the trade rumors came up. Don't want trade rumors? Don't play like garbage. 

17/10 on 50% shooting, huh? I'm wondering how you've come to this assumption since he hasn't done anything like that since (as if 17 PPG is impressive anyway) the '11/'12 season. Especially considering that during the postseason of that same year, he dropped a marvelous 13/10/43% FG and was demolished by Ibaka and Faried. The team is not the problem, Pau Gasol is the problem.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#46 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,999 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:49 PM

His FG % is .449 which is 5th on the team

:hysterical:

Well hot damn! He must be good then.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#47 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,999 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:53 PM

He is the best player on a very bad team.

No he's not. 

Nick Young is better, Kendall Marshall is better, Jordan Hill is better, Xavier Henry is better, Jeanie Buss is better.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#48 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,853 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:53 PM

:hysterical:

Well hot damn! He must be good then.

yes the center has now the 5th best shooting percentage on the team. 

A lot of it has to do with the fact that he's actually rolling to the basket and getting easier shots like he should have been all season. 

But since we're all for small sample sizes as opposed to "years"...   

Kendall Marshall is currently averaging 12.7 points and 8.3 assists on 62% shooting from the field and 60% from three.

Well hot dang!! That's better than Rondo's career averages(11/8.3 on 48% from the field and 24% from three)!!  Mitch has done it again!!

:bounce:  :bow:  :bounce:

Edited by Majesty, January 04, 2014 - 03:57 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#49 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 847 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:56 PM

Why is Pau so hated on this board?

He's getting old, what do you expect?

#50 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,180 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:57 PM

yes the center has now the 5th best shooting percentage on the team. 

A lot of it has to do with the fact that he's actually rolling to the basket and getting easier shots like he should have been all season. 

But since we're all for small sample sizes...   

Kendall Marshall is currently averaging 12.7 points and 8.3 assists on 62% shooting from the field and 60% from three.

Well hot dang!!   Mitch has done it again!!

Pau has been playing all season, Marshall has been playing for a couple games, if you are all for small sample sizes go check out Kobe's turnover number, he would be historically the worst the game has ever seen.  Your hatred for Pau makes you unable to be objective.

#51 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,999 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:58 PM

Sorry. That excuse doesn't fly. Been there...done that.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#52 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,853 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:59 PM

Pau has been playing all season, Marshall has been playing for a couple games.

The irony....

People like to use "a few games" for Pau over yearly production so why can't I? ;)   

I want Pau to have a consistent stretch of good games that leads into the playoffs without something derailing him like stepping on a leggo or it being too cold outside, or the moon has aligned with Venus and his girlfriend turned into a werewolf.     

If Pau can have a stretch of 10 games where 9 are as productive as the one last night people wouldn't complain about his inconsistencies.  

Everyone else on the team if they have one good game out of several bad, the bad games get mentioned.

If Shawne Williams has a stretch of 3 good games he'll be called garbage for the bad ones prior, if Gasol has a stretch of 3 good games they'll say "He's BACK!! TOLD YA'LL!!"  

Let Gasol play well in 8 of the next 10 games and not be derailed by injury or cold and things will be a lot better for us in general and for the fans as they'll quiet down. 

But it's gonna have to happen first, thus far it has not.   

That and then if we make the playoffs Gasol is gonna have to carry it into there. 

Edited by Majesty, January 04, 2014 - 04:05 PM.

#53 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,180 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:06 PM

The irony....

People like to use "a few games" for Pau over yearly production so why can't I? ;)   

Those stats were for his season, and are shockingly close to his entire career.  With wear and tear and age, he is performing almost exactly as any reasonable person would expect.  Like I said, plenty of GMs in this league would love to have the problem that is Pau Gasol, and I hope one of them does so you guys can see how sorry we will be without him.

#54 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,999 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Like I said, plenty of GMs in this league would love to have the problem that is Pau Gasol

Well they better hurry up and get him! His stock is so high right now! MOST WANTED

Pau Gasol is GONE

#55 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,279 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:14 PM

Awful players are rarely able to put up 23/17/6/3 or triple doubles even once during the season. I've looked at his stats and his subpar playoff performances. But they don't convince me that he's an "awful player" or the "worst defensive player in the history of the NBA." They convince me that Pau's elite days are far gone but he can still be a serviceable player in another team as a latter option.

And his offensive rebounds are one (0.8) less than his career average. But why does that matter? I'd rather secure defensive rebounds than offensive rebounds since that calculates towards defense and lessens the opposing team's second chance points. Pau has a career high in total rebounds.

FG% isn't everything. Yes, as a center Pau should have a higher FG% since shots closer to the basket equate to higher percents. Now that he's slowly starting to get to the post more, his FG% has slowly increased. But he still doesn't have the full arsenal of moves and perhaps he won't. 

It's more of common sense than a small sample size. Having Pau in the post creates for others and adds fluidity to the offense. You put Kaman, Hill, or Sacre and that won't happen since they aren't good at passing from deep in the post.

There aren't many centers that are on the wrong side of 30 giving us what Pau is. He was still on the wrong side of 30 in '10-11. But I'm not excusing his performances.

Now to your standards. Averaging 20 points, shooting 50%, and being strong defensively at almost the age of 34 is a bit high for me. That's just me though. People on this forum may have different opinions.

I want to trade him to get a pick and perhaps a young asset. We need a defensive anchor more than an offensive center that is well past his prime and cannot defend. But that still doesn't mean he's as awful as you constantly say. 

#56 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,429 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:17 PM

Why is Pau so hated on this board?

I don't hate Pau as much as everyone else does but this is just incorrect. He's been playing bad since the 2011 playoff series against Dallas. That was 3 years ago. 

#57 Majesty

Majesty

• 35,853 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Awful players are rarely able to put up 23/17/6/3 or triple doubles even once during the season. I've looked at his stats and his subpar playoff performances. But they don't convince me that he's an "awful player" or the "worst defensive player in the history of the NBA." They convince me that Pau's elite days are far gone but he can still be a serviceable player in another team as a latter option.

And his offensive rebounds are one (0.8) less than his career average. But why does that matter? I'd rather secure defensive rebounds than offensive rebounds since that calculates towards defense and lessens the opposing team's second chance points. Pau has a career high in total rebounds.

FG% isn't everything. Yes, as a center Pau should have a higher FG% since shots closer to the basket equate to higher percents. Now that he's slowly starting to get to the post more, his FG% has slowly increased. But he still doesn't have the full arsenal of moves and perhaps he won't. 

It's more of common sense than a small sample size. Having Pau in the post creates for others and adds fluidity to the offense. You put Kaman, Hill, or Sacre and that won't happen since they aren't good at passing from deep in the post.

There aren't many centers that are on the wrong side of 30 giving us what Pau is. He was still on the wrong side of 30 in '10-11. But I'm not excusing his performances.

Now to your standards. Averaging 20 points, shooting 50%, and being strong defensively at almost the age of 34 is a bit high for me. That's just me though. People on this forum may have different opinions.

I want to trade him to get a pick and perhaps a young asset. We need a defensive anchor more than an offensive center that is well past his prime and cannot defend. But that still doesn't mean he's as awful as you constantly say. 

Yeah.. I remember that one time Bargnani put up 35/12/3 ... 

Anyway, one game doesn't change the fact that for a majority of the season Pau has been mediocre. 

So let's see if he has a consistent stretch of games that isn't somehow derailed by injury or sickness.    Like I said, 8 of the next 10 should be fair.  

It's not that Pau isn't capable of putting up great numbers like he used to.  It's that is it worth it if it only happens 1 every 10 games?  And shouldn't he get blame for the 9 bad ones.   

The fans that defend him try to make the one good game out of 10 cancel out the 9 bad ones.  

It's not that Pau isn't capable, it's that he isn't capable on a consistent basic.  As in, if he played an 82 game season could he play 42 good games(one more than half) the answer is likely no and that's the problem. 

Pau's perfectly capable of putting up good numbers, that's why the fact that he doesn't consistently pisses off so many people.  And why they say that it's been on "Pau" to do it and he has none to blame but himself for not. 

#58 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,279 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:25 PM

Yeah.. I remember that one time Bargnani put up 35/12/3 ... 

Anyway, one game doesn't change the fact that for a majority of the season Pau has been mediocre. 

So let's see if he has a consistent stretch of games that isn't somehow derailed by injury or sickness.    Like I said, 8 of the next 10 should be fair.  

It's not that Pau isn't capable of putting up great numbers like he used to.  It's that is it worth it if it only happens 1 every 10 games?  And shouldn't he get blame for the 9 bad ones.   

The fans that defend him try to make the one good game out of 10 cancel out the 9 bad ones.  

It's not that Pau isn't capable, it's that he isn't capable on a consistent basic.  As in, if he played an 82 game season could he play 42 good games(one more than half) the answer is likely no and that's the problem. 

Pau's perfectly capable of putting up good numbers, that's why the fact that he doesn't consistently pisses off so many people.  And why they say that it's been on "Pau" to do it and he has none to blame but himself for not. 

You're making it seem like I'm stating Pau is the best center in the NBA. All I'm coming across to say is that Pau is at least average or mediocre. Not as awful as Windu implies.

#59 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,180 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:35 PM

You're making it seem like I'm stating Pau is the best center in the NBA. All I'm coming across to say is that Pau is at least average or mediocre. Not as awful as Windu implies.

He is better than average. People act like he can't play. The guy will probably get another massive contract and be an effective player during that time. He isn't a max player, that isn't his fault, it is the Lakers fault for giving him a max contract.

#60 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,279 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:38 PM

He is better than average. People act like he can't play. The guy will probably get another massive contract and be an effective player during that time. He isn't a max player, that isn't his fault, it is the Lakers fault for giving him a max contract.

I'd want Pau to score at least 17/10 on 48% shooting to be better than average, considering he's the first option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users