128 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,144 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted January 03, 2014 - 12:53 PM

Does this mean that Jim Buss is being the same old Jim Buss all stubborn and doesn't want to admit failure?  Almost everybody agrees that it is a great deal to get rid of Pau and get that 20 to 25 mil cap space for the sake of this franchise future but by doing that, it shows that the franchise is willing to waved a white flag for this season. In other words,  the evil word "tank" comes to play.   Do you think if the lakers choose to keep Pau its because they dont want to admit they are tanking? I am sure they know they wont win a championship this year. Heck they might not even think they can make the playoffs.  So there is not reason to why we have to keep Pau. The only reason I can think of is ego. Lakers doesnt want to admit they are tanking.  We have until January 7th to see if the deal is done. If Pau is still a Laker after wednesday, i will be really upset.

or if not, just get rid of MDA already and make everybody smile (except basketballIQ)

Edited by epicwolf, January 03, 2014 - 12:54 PM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,384 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 03, 2014 - 12:59 PM

The Lakers aren't just going to trade Pau for nothing.

Yes, it gives us a financial gain but the front office is doing their job and trying to get another asset in return.

#3 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,144 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 01:05 PM

Yes I know but there aren't any great deals for Pau right now. His stock is not that great anymore.  This is a very rare trade and only happens once in a full moon. Even if we get like a 3rd round pick or any pick, we should just do it.  The only value Pau have is a couple of picks from teams but no other team can give the lakers 25 mill dollars with it.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#4 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,376 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 01:05 PM

Just because Pau isn't gone past January 7th doesn't mean the FO is intending on keeping him. Remember that trades go both ways, and until the Cavs agree to the terms the Lakers are wanting, a trade will not happen.

If not the Cavs then they'll look for another trade partner. We'd still have more than a month until the official trade deadline.

#5 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,144 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 01:09 PM

Yes I know the trade deadline wont be until feb. I just dont see any other team that can give the Lakers any good value for Pau.  So what will the lakers do? Keep Pau and hope another team can give their young superstar to us? Or just let Pau rot as a lakers until the end of the year and let him just walk away?  We all know there is no chance Pau will be a lakers next year.

#6 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,376 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 01:21 PM

I'm feeling the Cavs will eventually bite onto the bait. No one else is offering anything for Bynum. Gasol would be able to play heavier minutes than Bynum and help them get into the playoffs. 

As of alternative trades, I'm not sure. Personally, I just want picks and perhaps a young asset, if possible. There may be teams desperate to make it into the playoffs and may succumb to a deal for Pau. We'll know closer to the deadline what teams would be in that situation.

Edited by Clutch Factor, January 03, 2014 - 01:21 PM.

#7 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,544 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 03, 2014 - 03:05 PM

Yes I know but there aren't any great deals for Pau right now. His stock is not that great anymore. This is a very rare trade and only happens once in a full moon. Even if we get like a 3rd round pick or any pick, we should just do it. The only value Pau have is a couple of picks from teams but no other team can give the lakers 25 mill dollars with it.

There is no 3rd round

#8 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,866 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 03, 2014 - 04:57 PM

So because I say MDA isn't the reason we suck, I LOVE HIM.

Ignorance runs rampant these days. MDA is average, maybe above average.

This team was designed to have Pau, Nash, Blake, Farmar and Kobe by now. It lacks all those players and Xavier Henry, plus Pau has turned into the worst version of himself.

We have SCRUBS and rejects and we still compete, unlike teams like Utah who get blown out a lot

As far as the OP's question? I don't get what you're asking.

Do u think Jim Buss is magical? And when you talking about "us" saving money, do you mean THE BUSS FAMILY?

#9 8RingKobe

8RingKobe

Rookie

• 724 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:52 PM

Yes I know but there aren't any great deals for Pau right now. His stock is not that great anymore. This is a very rare trade and only happens once in a full moon. Even if we get like a 3rd round pick or any pick, we should just do it. The only value Pau have is a couple of picks from teams but no other team can give the lakers 25 mill dollars with it.

This isn't the NFL. :D

#10 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 03, 2014 - 07:43 PM

NBA added a 3rd round? That's news to me.

But anyway, it's difficult to gauge what's going on in the minds of the powers that be. 

Pau Gasol should have been traded so long ago that his stench would have dissipated from Lakers history by now. The fact that he's still here (in addition to hiring MDA over PHIL JACKSON) leaves me scratching my head. Everything now should be damage control.

I guess there is some logic there about "keeping Pau Gasol = TANK" because he sure doesn't do anything but help the other team. 

MDA has to go and Pau Gasol has to go for this ship to be righted.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#11 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,474 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:06 PM

Pau has to go. He's had his time in LA and now it's time to move on. 

If he's here in february, i'll have lost the last tiny fraction of faith i had in the front office. 

#12 Yellow_Evan

Yellow_Evan

Rookie

• 863 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:49 PM

It's not the end of the world. Pau isn't that bad.

#13 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,474 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 03, 2014 - 10:16 PM

True and i love Pau for his personality off the court and for what he's done for the organisation. I also think he has a lot of basketball left in him and on the right team (like the Pelicans or Thunder) he could be awesome.

But because of his salary and what he'll demand on his next deal we probably wont be able to keep him going forward. Keeping him will only cost the organisation money and keep us where we are - which is out of the playoffs and out of the top8 in the lottery. 

I think we should have traded him earlier for a couple of solid guys on 2yr deals and made a push. However, now with Kobe's second injury we should move him for an expiring deal and an asset of sorts.

Whether it's Bynum and a future pick/Karasev/Clark or perhaps Okafor+top20 protected first rounder from Phoenix or whatever doesn't really matter as long as we get back players that fit the plan going forward. If such a thing exists (i have my doubts, unfortunately). 

#14 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted January 03, 2014 - 10:57 PM

We will overvalue other teams' players and undervalue our own. Posters here are talking about getting Bosh, Melo, Love, Westbrook, Irving, Rondo, etc, but it's not like their respective fanbases don't criticize them. I don't read other forums, but I'm pretty sure there are people who say "we will never get anything for Bosh, he's soft and can't rebound".

I'm not saying Pau is worth an All-Star return, but he is still a seven feet tall 15 and 10 player with good court vision. With the exception of Windu's opinion that Pau is the worst player in the D-League and NBA combined, I feel like it's reasonable for us to assume that he has at least SOME value across the league. Try and see it from another fan's perspective; he is still an above average NBA player. If we want to talk stats too, his PER is a little over 16 as well. It's not like he is Shawne Williams or anything. Many teams would want Pau, but the thing that hinders a trade the most is his massive salary. Things will change between now and the deadline, and I'm confident the Lakers will find a reasonable deal for Pau. 

Before I get roasted by anyone, you should all know that I have been one of Pau's biggest critics for a while now, even if I don't post it. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't undervalue him to the point where we would be happy to get Sergey Karasev of all people back for him.

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 11:56 PM

R.E.M. disagrees.

yo.

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,866 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 04, 2014 - 10:52 AM

Cue

Tru

#17 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Rookie

• 1,120 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted January 04, 2014 - 10:57 AM

Pau for lebron= fixed

#18 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:10 AM

It's not the end of the world...obviously. But, Pau Gasol REALLY is that bad.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#19 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,376 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:16 AM

It's not the end of the world...obviously. But, Pau Gasol REALLY is that bad.

23 points/17 rebounds/8 assists/3 blocks

Not saying he's going to put up those numbers game after game, but he isn't as bad as you make him out to be.

#20 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,092 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:24 AM

23 points/17 rebounds/8 assists/3 blocks

Not saying he's going to put up those numbers game after game, but he isn't as bad as you make him out to be.

How are you doing to cite ONE game to me lol? Is that supposed to mean...anything?

I'll see your one game of 23/17/8/3 and raise you the months of December (16/8/3/46%) and November (15/10/3/43%)

Your move...

Pau Gasol is GONE

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users