105 replies to this topic

#41 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,174 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 03, 2014 - 06:00 PM

Do not want Melo, as acquiring him will set the franchise back for another two years, if not longer — Kobe's contract has already set the franchise back for 2 years

Or looked at another way...acquiring kobe set the franchise 'ahead' 20 years.

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#42 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,530 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted January 03, 2014 - 07:28 PM

Blaming Melo for the Knicks being bad is idiotic. That team is terrible, has no one that can score besides Melo, terrible PG, and they're old. How good did they do without him recently?

I don't think he's a max player or that the Lakers should get him, but blaming him alone for that dumpster fire of a team is awful.

#43 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 03, 2014 - 08:58 PM

Lmfao Kobe ball hogged/ball stopped that season if you're gonna call Melo a ball hog how does your argument make sense... Oh god

You said 05 Kobe wouldn't be able to take this Knicks team to the finals. I'll give you this much; in this season with the Heat and Pacers playing in the east, maybe not all the way to the finals. But he would take them a lot further than Melo have been able to. 

The reason the Lakers didn't do much in those years, was the lack of talent on the team. 

Other than Kobe, who had one of the best seasons of any player, ever, there was Lamar Odom, who averaged a solid but unspectacular 15-10 on middling effeciency. The big man rotation consisted of Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown and Brian Cook and the other starter in the back-court was Smush Parker. Who the [expletive] were Kobe going to pass to? Kwame? That's the whole reason why Kobe wanted out of LA and why he shot so much. On that team a contested long 2 by Kobe was a lot better than anything else. 

None of those guys would even be able to make this year's Knicks team and on the other hand, almost the entire Knicks team, including the rotting corpse of Amare Stoudemire could be starters on the 05 Lakers. 

Melo should shoulder some of the blame in NY. HE is the one who thinks he's an elite player on the level of Lebron and Kobe and HE is the one who believes he's worthy of a max deal, so HE is also one of the guys who should take responsibility when they're doing bad. That's what Kobe would have done.

#44 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:07 PM

Guys need to stop bashing Carmelo and straight up look at his team.  Such as an example tonight during the game and post game comments from JR Smith

Here is the Post game comments and the comment that stands out the most from JR Smith "Good shot bad timing" - JR Smith  :facepalm: 

http://instagram.com.../p/iu7KvjqBaa/

Posted Image

#45 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Melo's game doesn't produce wins, only points for Melo. You replace him with Rondo and they'd be heading for the playoffs.

#46 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted January 03, 2014 - 10:18 PM

as much i like melo but it won't work for the lakers right now. maybe in 2012 when i wanted pau for melo. but not anymore.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#47 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,332 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 10:40 PM

Melo's game doesn't produce wins, only points for Melo. You replace him with Rondo and they'd be heading for the playoffs.

Oh, really. Is that how it works for Love also?

Love's game doesn't produce wins, only points for Love.

At least Melo can take his teams to the Playoffs.

Edited by Mooninite, January 03, 2014 - 10:46 PM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#48 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,530 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 11:02 PM

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

That team is a lottery team. Besides maybe putting LeBron on the team, they need a lot more than just one guy to fix that mess of a team.

You seem to be making this out to be all Melo's fault, but they are awful without him and he's their only consistently good player. The whole team plays terrible defense besides Chandler and Shumpert, their coach doesn't seem to have a clue this year, and their front office traded for ANDREA BARGNANI. The players that were there last year have all regressed and gotten older. You say he only cares about numbers and scoring. If Melo isn't getting 25 a night, who else is possibly going to score on that team? The only other player on the team that can create his own shot is JR Smith, and he's been awful this year and makes terrible decisions(See the game tonight). 

Melo isn't LeBron, and he isn't prime Kobe. Hell, he's not even Paul George. But he isn't the problem with the Knicks. James Dolan put together a terrible team.The only players worth a dime on the entire team are Melo, Shump, and Chandler, and Shump and Chandler are role players, although pretty good ones. 

#49 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 11:58 PM

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

That team is a lottery team. Besides maybe putting LeBron on the team, they need a lot more than just one guy to fix that mess of a team.

You seem to be making this out to be all Melo's fault, but they are awful without him and he's their only consistently good player. The whole team plays terrible defense besides Chandler and Shumpert, their coach doesn't seem to have a clue this year, and their front office traded for ANDREA BARGNANI. The players that were there last year have all regressed and gotten older. You say he only cares about numbers and scoring. If Melo isn't getting 25 a night, who else is possibly going to score on that team? The only other player on the team that can create his own shot is JR Smith, and he's been awful this year and makes terrible decisions(See the game tonight). 

Melo isn't LeBron, and he isn't prime Kobe. Hell, he's not even Paul George. But he isn't the problem with the Knicks. James Dolan put together a terrible team.The only players worth a dime on the entire team are Melo, Shump, and Chandler, and Shump and Chandler are role players, although pretty good ones. 

This whole argument started when Ham compared Kobe's 04-06 campaign and teams with Melo's current situation, which is pretty damn far off the mark. 

Of course, injuies play a big part of why the Knicks are miserable and that they have a bad owner/coach/gm. But Melo is also to blame. The offense stops when he gets the ball and he takes a lot of bad shots, doesn't get his teammates involved and isn't interested in defense. I dont know why people just look at his 26ppg and just ignore everything else. 

Replacing him with a true floor general, like Rondo, would ensure that everyone got involved offensively and that everyone competed on the defensive end as well. 

Hollingers 12-13 projection is right on the money:

The move to New York pretty much guaranteed that Anthony would become the most overrated player in basketball, and folks haven't disappointed me on that front. Routinely referred to as a superstar despite the pesky fact that his teams don't improve all that much with him on the court, Anthony is better described as an extreme volume scorer. Last season he averaged a staggering 26.5 points per 40 minutes, but with a league-average true shooting percentage, ordinary assist and turnover numbers, and little to no defense. It's hard to conclude that he made a huge impact on New York's bottom line.

The big problem for Melo is that he likes long 2s, but long 2s don't like him. He made only 36.9 percent of his 2s from 10 feet and beyond, but attempted nearly eight a game. He also shot just 30.5 percent on 3s. Going to the cup it's a different story; Anthony had the eighth-best free throw rate among small forwards and makes his free throws. But he had two jump shots for every attempt at the rim.

#50 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted January 04, 2014 - 12:10 AM

1) The Knicks suck.  The team is constructed poorly, Carmelo needs to be used as a primary PF in the offense, and injuries are killing them.

2) Carmelo will get the max, wherever he goes.  He's one of the best scorers in the league, and franchises see him as a superstar player you can build your team around (not necessarily me, but whatever).

3) He's not better than Kobe, at any point of Kobe's career from 2001 to the first few months of 2013.  He doesn't have Kobe's overall skillset, Kobe's post game (footwork, mostly), defense, ball-handling skills, basketball IQ, or passing abilities.  It's not even debatable.

4) Bringing him to LA isn't going to make us a contender, unless we find another player to team him up with.  As it stands, inserting Carmelo Anthony into this current lineup we have would still put the Lakers out of the top four in the Western Conference, and it would give them a first round loss (possible sweep), which is all that Carmelo saw in Denver, minus the one season Chauncey Billups and Co. came out of nowhere and ended that 7-8 season streak of Melo's.

5) Kobe may have been considered selfish for quite a bit of his career, but there are different levels of that.  Bryant still created for his teammates, quite often, despite taking 20+ shots a night.  He would do it from the post, or hit players rolling out of the P&R, from an ISO that led to a drive, etc.  Carmelo, not so much, and it's one of the biggest flaws in his game (along with his defense).

Would I take Carmelo over Paul George?  No.  I think that George is a player who, if paired with another superstar, could be the LeBron of the duo.  Would I take Melo over John Wall?  Yes.

------------

Regarding a big trade, I actually stated that we're probably shooting for Melo not too long ago.  I felt it.  The Lakers can make a trade much easier if they get under the tax threshold (150% margin, versus 125%), and I don't think the Knicks plan on Melo staying with them to begin with, so why wouldn't they explore trade opportunities with Western Conference teams?

#51 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2014 - 12:11 AM

Lmfao like I said before names don't mean [expletive] if you're gonna play like the 04-06 lakers. Do I have to constantly repeat it. No player changes that knicks team. Besides that's a big ass IF anyway.

Real Deal pretty much summed up 80% of what I'm trying to argue in one post lmfaooooo

Melo is a good start in creating a contender

Edited by Ham, January 04, 2014 - 12:15 AM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#52 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,530 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:27 AM

This whole argument started when Ham compared Kobe's 04-06 campaign and teams with Melo's current situation, which is pretty damn far off the mark. 

Of course, injuies play a big part of why the Knicks are miserable and that they have a bad owner/coach/gm. But Melo is also to blame. The offense stops when he gets the ball and he takes a lot of bad shots, doesn't get his teammates involved and isn't interested in defense. I dont know why people just look at his 26ppg and just ignore everything else. 

Replacing him with a true floor general, like Rondo, would ensure that everyone got involved offensively and that everyone competed on the defensive end as well. 

Hollingers 12-13 projection is right on the money:

The move to New York pretty much guaranteed that Anthony would become the most overrated player in basketball, and folks haven't disappointed me on that front. Routinely referred to as a superstar despite the pesky fact that his teams don't improve all that much with him on the court, Anthony is better described as an extreme volume scorer. Last season he averaged a staggering 26.5 points per 40 minutes, but with a league-average true shooting percentage, ordinary assist and turnover numbers, and little to no defense. It's hard to conclude that he made a huge impact on New York's bottom line.

The big problem for Melo is that he likes long 2s, but long 2s don't like him. He made only 36.9 percent of his 2s from 10 feet and beyond, but attempted nearly eight a game. He also shot just 30.5 percent on 3s. Going to the cup it's a different story; Anthony had the eighth-best free throw rate among small forwards and makes his free throws. But he had two jump shots for every attempt at the rim.

So Rondo alone is going to make that team score better? Without Melo, as I've said, there's no one on that team that can score. Rondo doesn't change that with this current group of Knicks players. He would make it easier for players to score, but he's not making up 26 PPG worth. And who becomes the 4 on that team without Melo? Bargnani or Amare? 

What proof do you have that Rondo would "make" them compete on defense? They have awful defenders all along the roster. Rondo is a good player and a great PG, but he's not going to magically transform people like JR Smith and Bargs into good defenders.

Let's not forget that Rondo has yet to have a team all to himself. He had plenty of help in every year playing with great players in Boston. It's yet to be seen how he will play as "the man" on a team without other players that score the ball, let alone how he will look after his knee injury. Rondo as option 3 on a good team and Rondo as option 1 on a less talented team are likely to be two completely different players.

I'm not arguing that Melo is a max player, cus he's not(Even though he will get a max deal). But he's the only bright spot on that team besides Shumpert and Chandler. And the Knicks need a lot more than just one player to turn their ship around. IDK if even LeBron could make that team anything more than a second round exit as currently constructed.

Edited by -MagicKareemKobe-, January 04, 2014 - 03:32 AM.

#53 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2014 - 06:08 AM

But once again, Pau Gasol survives and he doesn't get traded...

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#54 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,774 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted January 04, 2014 - 07:19 AM

Lmfao like I said before names don't mean [expletive] if you're gonna play like the 04-06 lakers. Do I have to constantly repeat it. No player changes that knicks team. Besides that's a big ass IF anyway.

Real Deal pretty much summed up 80% of what I'm trying to argue in one post lmfaooooo

With the Lakers set of cicumstances, getting Melo is the start and finish.  There will not be any money left to get another big ticket player.  Melo could help a team contend, but he isn't going to do it with Kobe and minimum guys.  

#55 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,800 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:29 AM

You know 0 about basketball if you think Bosh is a garbage player

Bosh is garbage imo. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#56 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,800 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Problem is, where does this player come from?  Melo needs an great to elite PG and a defensive C to even consider it being a contending team.  He had that in Denver.  He could have that in 2015 with Rondo.  If we sign Melo it will be 2 years before we could make a run at an great PG.  By that time he'll be 31-32 years old. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#57 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted January 04, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Problem is, where does this player come from? Melo needs an great to elite PG and a defensive C to even consider it being a contending team. He had that in Denver. He could have that in 2015 with Rondo. If we sign Melo it will be 2 years before we could make a run at an great PG. By that time he'll be 31-32 years old.

Really he had an elite PG and C back than? Billups no time in his career was a top 5 PG. Billups would be lucky if I even gave him one year as a top 10 PG
Posted Image

#58 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,800 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 10:10 AM

Reread the statement sir.  I said great to elite PG.  Are we going to argue that Billups wasn't a great player in those days?  You want to make a case that Marcus Camby wasn't at one point an elite rebounding and defensive big?  Nene wasn't a solid PF that was able to share minutes with a solid Kmart? George Karl not one of the greatest coaches in history?  Melo had it made in Denver.

Really he had an elite PG and C back than? Billups no time in his career was a top 5 PG. Billups would be lucky if I even gave him one year as a top 10 PG

Edited by Jody Smokes, January 04, 2014 - 10:13 AM.

#59 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,774 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted January 04, 2014 - 12:43 PM

Chauncey was a legit pg. top 10 easy.

#60 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2014 - 01:22 PM

Problem is, where does this player come from?  Melo needs an great to elite PG and a defensive C to even consider it being a contending team.  He had that in Denver.  He could have that in 2015 with Rondo.  If we sign Melo it will be 2 years before we could make a run at an great PG.  By that time he'll be 31-32 years old. 

he saying replacing melo. so basically switch out melo for rondo or whoever. lol. thats what i mean by no player makes that knicks team better.

and if we somehow get joel embiid and that defensive center spot is filled ;)

Edited by Ham, January 04, 2014 - 01:24 PM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users