January Predictions

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#21 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 03:03 AM

for the future of this franchise losing this season is important. how anyone fails to understand that is beyond me. 

i don't want my players thinking this way, nor my organization

but i sure as hell know it as a fact. in a draft where there is legitimately 4 franchise players and possibly 10 all stars losing is important.

no getting a wiggins, parker, or smart doesn't get you to a title next season in all likelihood, but it sure as hell gives you direction. it gives you 15 years with an elite player. 15 years with someone who you can build around, sell tickets around, cheer for

i'm sorry but i said it before the season and i'll say it again. the supporting of mediocrity, which is the absolute highest this teams ceiling is even at full health top to bottom is, well, stupid. 

you are either a contender or you want a top pick. and before someone brings up the bobcats, bucks, raptors remember that we are the lakers, we have mitch kupchak, and people actually would come to play here with a young star. remember that this draft isn't like any other draft. this draft has only been seen 3 times in the last 30 years 1984, 1996, and 2003. 

i hope to god we go 0-15, that would be a godsend because the worst record guarantees you a top 4 pick.

that's wiggins, parker, embiid, or smart. you get one of those guys guaranteed. 

Posted Image

#22 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,698 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted January 01, 2014 - 03:38 AM

I'm not hoping for losses. I'm hoping we go 15-0 and trade for Durant Lebron PG Kyrie and CP3. I'm hoping we make a 14 team trade tomorrow morning that puts us all in contention.

There are seriously 0 moves we can make now that will make us contenders this season. Fire MDA, ask Nash to retire, trade Pau or let him expire, or resign cheap guys Wes or Young STILL would not make us relevant. Bring in Melo - nothing will change. At best, we might he a 6th seed first round for a few more years.

My only hope for this franchise is a Wiggins, Parker, or Embiid coming in and helping Kobe win another ring.

Hey, Magic was the first rookie to win a finals MVP, maybe history repeats itself for LA.

#23 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 01, 2014 - 04:38 AM

3-12 would be fine to me. 

Edited by Nak, January 01, 2014 - 04:38 AM.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#24 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,385 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted January 01, 2014 - 06:51 AM

5-10
Wiggins you will be a laker
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#25 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,773 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted January 01, 2014 - 06:54 AM

O fer.  Its amazing how MDA truly has become the beacon of hope in a lost season.  Without him and his knowledge, the dream of a lottery pick would be nothing but a dream.

#26 Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Kobe-Wan Kenobi

The Man With Double Picks

• 1,566 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Fan Since:My Birth
  • Fav. Laker:BlackMamba-Magic-Queensbridge

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:00 AM

Man, this season sucks.

After losing to the Bucks, I'd say 3-12.

sigkwk.jpg
KobeWanKenobi

There's gold and it's haunting and haunting; it's luring me on as of old; Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting So much as just finding the gold; It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder, It's the forest where silence has lease; It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder, It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

#27 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:05 AM

The more losses the better. I dont care anymore. #WigginsRandleParkerEmbiidSmartExumGordonSaricLevineVonleh 

#28 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,207 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Ok with being the worst.

Wow, just wow.

Not okay with being the worst, but the organization needs a wake up call, and perhaps being the worst in the league would be the thing that would finally get some changes rather than having a coach like D'Antoni and handing out long term high paying contracts to guys that are way past their prime.  It is time for this organization to have a complete purge, top to bottom.

#29 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted January 01, 2014 - 10:02 AM

I would say 8-9. Buuuuut the way we playin.. 2-15

I hate losing. Especially tankin but what ever

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#30 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,382 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 10:21 AM

Ok with being the worst.

Wow, just wow.

Then what do you suggest?

There are no possible moves that can make us contenders this year, or even next (Lebron isn't coming to LA). Heck, the injury bug once again has devastated us. Look at Farmar: Came back from a hamstring injury, probably played more minutes than he should have, and now is set for another ultrasound. I bet he'll be out once again. But even with a full, healthy roster, this team would not beat the higher echelon teams. 

We have a chance to attain a franchise player by simply losing. No trading, no hoping a free agent will sign with us, etc. Just simply losing. With the worst record, we're guaranteed a top 4 pick. And honestly, I feel we would have a chance with the top 2 slots and get ourselves either Wiggins or Parker. Just like that. 

We don't enjoy losing. As Laker fans, we're all competitive. I've been pissed off on the last three gameday threads at the way we were struggling against the worst teams in the league. Losing to the three worst teams - you might as well BE the worst team.

I'm all in for having the worst record because it ensures our future is in better hands.

Edited by Clutch Factor, January 01, 2014 - 10:57 AM.

#31 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,207 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 01, 2014 - 10:46 AM

Then what do you suggest?

There are no possible moves that can make us contenders this year, or even next (Lebron isn't coming to LA). Heck, the injury bug once again has devastated us. Look at Farmar: Came back from a hamstring injury, probably played more minutes than he us, and now is set for another ultrasound. I bet he'll be out once again. But even with a full, healthy roster, this team would not beat the higher echelon teams.

We have a chance to attain a franchise player by simply losing. No trading, no hoping a free agent will sign with us, etc. Just simply losing. With the worst record, we're guaranteed a top 4 pick. And honestly, I feel we would have a chance with the top 2 slots and get ourselves either Wiggins or Parker. Just like that.

We don't enjoy losing. As Laker fans, we're all competitive. I've been pissed off on the last three gameday threads at the way we were struggling against the worst teams in the league. Losing to the three worst teams - you might as well BE the worst team.

I'm all in for having the worst record because it ensures our future is in better hands.

The new CBA is also particularly kind to building through the draft. Didn't use to be the case, it is now.

#32 citr92

citr92

Rookie

• 447 posts
  • Name:Cody
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 01, 2014 - 11:51 AM

don't think this team is trying to tank

just bad coaching...injuries, role players getting switched around and playing without one or two players to really raise everyone's ability

so though i hate it, i know it has to happen

#33 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,924 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 01, 2014 - 01:44 PM

I don't suggest playing the draft game.

Teams rarely, if ever, get out of that cycle. Bulls the team with a solid culture and system via coaching FIRST.

Then get mid level free agents with some young talent peppered in. Learn to play with each, learn to win together and grab a high profile free agent. Done.

I know there are decent players in the upcoming draft, but going the full young player route tacks on far more years to this dry spell - far more.

#34 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fan Since:1990

Posted January 01, 2014 - 02:38 PM

Teams rarely, if ever, get out of that cycle. Bulls the team with a solid culture and system via coaching FIRST.

Then get mid level free agents with some young talent peppered in. Learn to play with each, learn to win together and grab a high profile free agent. Done.

I know there are decent players in the upcoming draft, but going the full young player route tacks on far more years to this dry spell - far more.

You are completely correct about the importance of the coaching and team culture, but the draft is the best place for young talent. Every team in the NBA except for BKN and NYK values their young talent however, and the young talent we could get through free agent signings would just be players like X. It wasn't a bad signing, but if you have the chance to get Wiggins, Parker, Randle, Embiid, Smart, Exum, etc. you do it. The team's peak this year is a 1st round exit, and like Clutch Factor said, there is nothing we can do to improve the team significantly besides the draft. We had assets to trade before we acquired Howard and Nash, but not now.

In addition, getting a high draft pick isn't counteractive to getting a high profile free agent. Even though it hasn't been prominent lately, the Lakers do have an location and history advantage when it comes to luring free agents, but it can't hurt at all to have a future star already on the team. Who do you have in mind as the high profile free agent? Besides Carmelo, we are pretty much stuck waiting until 2015 for players like Love and Irving. Championships are won through careful planning, and it would be extremely poor planning to compromise the future just to attain a low playoff run at best this season. As a Laker fan, I hate losing on principle, but years of mediocrity would be much worse. 

#35 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 12:14 AM

i agree. with your later premise but under the new CBA it is increasingly difficult to simply build through free agency. a guy like wiggins, parker, smart is a borderline all star likely day 1. and you have them for what 4 years at 5 million a year. aka nothing.

suddenly you don't need 3 max contracts to have 3 stars. you only need 2. think about it. you draft wiggins, parker, smart, embiid

then you have melo in 2014 or love in 2015 

and you already have a hopefully healthy kobe, and a hopefully developing superstar in one of those 4 guys. and because the guy you drafted is on a rookie deal you still have cap space to sign solid role players under the age of 30 as opposed to 30+ year old vet min guys.

it makes all the sense in the world to get into that top 4 this year and position yourself to have 3 max contract level players for the price of 2 max contracts and a Mid-Level exception

Posted Image

#36 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,171 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 02, 2014 - 03:33 AM

I can see jan shaping up this way. Pau gone, Nick losing 6th man bid as he's made a starter for remainder of season, Meeks sustaining some kind of injury, Sacre getting minutes over Kaman, Kaman wondering wtf?

As for record? Who knows. But as a fan i hope Kobe comes back in jan as i'm not sure even he could add more than about 5 wins this season to this squad 

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health, 2. High Draft Pick (Randle!) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#37 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,789 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:18 AM

You hate losing but support winning games that get us nowhere.  If we are going to be bad, might as well get a great draft pick out of it.  No reason to fall into the 9th seed and get the 13th pick like Dallas did last year.

I would say 8-9. Buuuuut the way we playin.. 2-15

I hate losing. Especially tankin but what ever

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#38 Wilfred

Wilfred

Starter

• 4,743 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 02, 2014 - 09:28 AM

I think with some luck we can go 4-11

3-12 is certainly doable. Cavs may miss KI.

However if we go 0-15 it will not surprise me.

#39 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,150 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:50 AM

for the future of this franchise losing this season is important. how anyone fails to understand that is beyond me. 

i don't want my players thinking this way, nor my organization

but i sure as hell know it as a fact. in a draft where there is legitimately 4 franchise players and possibly 10 all stars losing is important.

no getting a wiggins, parker, or smart doesn't get you to a title next season in all likelihood, but it sure as hell gives you direction. it gives you 15 years with an elite player. 15 years with someone who you can build around, sell tickets around, cheer for

i'm sorry but i said it before the season and i'll say it again. the supporting of mediocrity, which is the absolute highest this teams ceiling is even at full health top to bottom is, well, stupid. 

you are either a contender or you want a top pick. and before someone brings up the bobcats, bucks, raptors remember that we are the lakers, we have mitch kupchak, and people actually would come to play here with a young star. remember that this draft isn't like any other draft. this draft has only been seen 3 times in the last 30 years 1984, 1996, and 2003. 

i hope to god we go 0-15, that would be a godsend because the worst record guarantees you a top 4 pick.

that's wiggins, parker, embiid, or smart. you get one of those guys guaranteed. 

Its not the fact that Lakers fans don't want the lakers to lose. Its the fact that this is a new territory for most lakers fans. We been such a successful franchises for every decade that it fustrates a lot of people of how suck this team can be. Not many Lakers fans are old enough to remember the early 90's until 96.  Not many Laker fans even remember the Kwame Brown era cus even those years went by so fast. For some reason this year seem so slow and painful.  

But I agree with everything you said. We need to suck this season for the franchise sake.  The only problem is the players who are on our roster right now doesn't care about the franchise future. Mainly because all of them won't be a laker in the future. Mayb one or two thats it.  So it is hard for them to tank. They are not playing for the lakers or the lakers fans. They are playing for themselves to get better deals off season. So for the fans to think the lakers going to tank are just naive.  It is impossible for the lakers to tank.  MDA also coaching for his next job.  No way he wants to tank. 

Edited by epicwolf, January 02, 2014 - 10:52 AM.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#40 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,789 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 02, 2014 - 10:59 AM

Can we stop saying the players won't tank as if that means they are going to actually win games.  It doesn't matter how much Nick Young or Jordan Farmar want to make the playoffs it won't matter unless they can outplay the other team.  "Kobe would never tank" Kobe isn't exactly good enough right now to do anything about losing either.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users