#1 penguins

penguins

Rookie

• 52 posts
  • Name:Josquin
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:The Black Mamba

Posted December 30, 2013 - 02:23 PM

I;m not the best with computers but have to use them everyday at my work. Anyways, Im trying to figurew out what the difference is between internet, ethernet, wireless internet, and wifi. I want to be able to use multiple computers at my house on the internet without having to all have them plugged in with cords (the modem or w/e). I'm sorry of this does not make sense, Microsoft Excel and Access are my bread and butter, not all of these damn cords, pieces of metal, and gadgets. Thank you.

:starwars: :lakers: :penguins:

#2 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,693 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted December 30, 2013 - 02:47 PM

I;m not the best with computers but have to use them everyday at my work. Anyways, Im trying to figurew out what the difference is between internet, ethernet, wireless internet, and wifi. I want to be able to use multiple computers at my house on the internet without having to all have them plugged in with cords (the modem or w/e). I'm sorry of this does not make sense, Microsoft Excel and Access are my bread and butter, not all of these damn cords, pieces of metal, and gadgets. Thank you.

Internet - This is the World Wide Web. This is the network that allows you to access Lakernation, ESPN, Facebook, Emails, etc.

Ethernet - This is the industrial standard used all over the world for internet access. It's the technology that brings computers/systems together and form a LAN (local area network). Your Modom is ethernet capable and the ethernet cables connected to it basically allow you to connect to the internet from your computer.

Wireless internet/Wifi - Is a technology that allows you to connect to the internet (your modom) without the use of physical cables. It uses radio waves to transmit/send/recieve packets. For a wireless internet, you will need a device called a "router". Same thing as ethernet, WiFi allows you to access the internet, but you use a lot less physical cables.

Now what you need is a wireless internet. Go to your local computer shop and buy a router. You will need to connect that router to your modem. Your router comes with a booklet that shows you percisely how to configure this connection.

To use a wireless connection, your computer(s) must have a wireless internet card. All laptops are pre-installed with them. Desktop PC's usually do NOT come with them and must be bought and installed seperately.

#3 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,868 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 30, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Internet - This is the World Wide Web. This is the network that allows you to access Lakernation, ESPN, Facebook, Emails, etc.

Ethernet - This is the industrial standard used all over the world for internet access. It's the technology that brings computers/systems together and form a LAN (local area network). Your Modom is ethernet capable and the ethernet cables connected to it basically allow you to connect to the internet from your computer.

Wireless internet/Wifi - Is a technology that allows you to connect to the internet (your modom) without the use of physical cables. It uses radio waves to transmit/send/recieve packets. For a wireless internet, you will need a device called a "router". Same thing as ethernet, WiFi allows you to access the internet, but you use a lot less physical cables.

Now what you need is a wireless internet. Go to your local computer shop and buy a router. You will need to connect that router to your modem. Your router comes with a booklet that shows you percisely how to configure this connection.

To use a wireless connection, your computer(s) must have a wireless internet card. All laptops are pre-installed with them. Desktop PC's usually do NOT come with them and must be bought and installed seperately.

This is a great explanation.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#4 penguins

penguins

Rookie

• 52 posts
  • Name:Josquin
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:The Black Mamba

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Thank you. I will go pick out a router and some network adapters for the two desktops tomorrow. I'm assuming these are USB? And I'm guessing that an iPad has a card built into it like a laptop, correct? thjanks agaion!

:starwars: :lakers: :penguins:

#5 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,693 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thank you. I will go pick out a router and some network adapters for the two desktops tomorrow. I'm assuming these are USB? And I'm guessing that an iPad has a card built into it like a laptop, correct? thjanks agaion!

iPad has WiFi capability, yes.

Wireless Network adapters can come in USB format as well.

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,065 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:55 PM

If you're gaming, don't use wireless.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#7 penguins

penguins