• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Update: I was just messing with BIOS and got rid of the "Diskette Drive Error." Since I don't have a floppy drive, I changed it to "Not Installed." The only error left is: Alert! Previous fan failure.

Edited by Clutch Factor, January 01, 2014 - 07:57 PM.

#42 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Update: I was just messing with BIOS and got rid of the "Diskette Drive Error." Since I don't have a floppy drive, I changed it to "Not Installed." The only error left is: Alert! Previous fan failure.

Good. I'm thinking the "Previous fan failure," in pair with Speedfan not being able to detect fans, might indicate that a fan in your computer is not working. While the computer is turned on, I would open the chassis and observe the fans, including the fan inside the power supply. If one of them is not spinning, take note of it. Turn off the computer and make sure the wires on the fans are snugly plugged into the motherboard or power supply (it varies). If one of the fans is not working, disconnect it and unscrew it. You can replace a fan for cheap, but it did not appear that your hdd or cpu temperatures were hot.

If the computer isn't booting from the disc, I suspect that the DVD image is corrupt or didn't burn right, or that the BIOs boot priority is not set to boot from CD/DVD as the highest priority. If it goes to Windows (asking if you want to resume), that means it is reading from the hdd. If the CD/DVD is truly the highest priority, then it skipped it and went to hdd because the DVD image is corrupt. Otherwise, the hdd is still receiving the highest priority, unless the CD/DVD drive is just not being detected.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#43 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Good. I'm thinking the "Previous fan failure," in pair with Speedfan not being able to detect fans, might indicate that a fan in your computer is not working. While the computer is turned on, I would open the chassis and observe the fans, including the fan inside the power supply. If one of them is not spinning, take note of it. Turn off the computer and make sure the wires on the fans are snugly plugged into the motherboard or power supply (it varies). If one of the fans is not working, disconnect it and unscrew it. You can replace a fan for cheap, but it did not appear that your hdd or cpu temperatures were hot.

If the computer isn't booting from the disc, I suspect that the DVD image is corrupt or didn't burn right, or that the BIOs boot priority is not set to boot from CD/DVD as the highest priority. If it goes to Windows (asking if you want to resume), that means it is reading from the hdd. If the CD/DVD is truly the highest priority, then it skipped it and went to hdd because the DVD image is corrupt. Otherwise, the hdd is still receiving the highest priority, unless the CD/DVD drive is just not being detected.

The Fan error went away one time after following this: When starting up, press F2 and scroll down to the next to the last line - System event log. Press Enter. Read it (take notes), clear it, and exit

I'll take a look inside in a bit.

I've set the IDE CD-ROM Device  as the highest priority. I'm going to switch the Ubuntu into the DVD drive and try it. If that doesn't work, then I'll check the fans. 

Edit: DVD drive method didn't work. I will check the fans. Then I'll take the Ubuntu disc onto my laptop and make sure everything is right.

Edit 2: All fans are spinning. 

Edited by Clutch Factor, January 01, 2014 - 08:22 PM.

#44 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Oh. I think I know why the Ubuntu disc isn't working. 

I chose to install Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (instead of Ubuntu 13.01). Which seems correct. But I chose 64 bit because I had 2 GB RAM at the time. I think I have to install the 32 bit (for machines with less than 2 GB RAM).

Edit: I just randomly clicked on "Windows Start Normally" one last time after I took the disc out and it worked. I got onto the log in screen.

Edited by Clutch Factor, January 01, 2014 - 08:31 PM.

#45 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:34 PM

64-bit is for >= 4GB, though you can still run 64-bit with less than the "recommended minimum requirements." The problem might actually be that you have an i386 chip but are trying to read machine code instructions from amd64. So for that reason, yes, you might consider downloading Ubuntu 32-bit (which is i386)

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#46 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Do you have a Windows CD? Also, you might consider burning a bootable memtest to test what remaining memory you have left:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

wKNsigp.png

#47 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Do you have a Windows CD? Also, you might consider burning a bootable memtest to test what remaining memory you have left:

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Unfortunately I don't have a Windows CD.

I got onto the log in screen, so should I just straight up download that?

Or should we do that via Teamviewer?

#48 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Unfortunately I don't have a Windows CD.

I got onto the log in screen, so should I just straight up download that?

Or should we do that via Teamviewer?

The Ubuntu login screen, or Windows? And teamviewer preferred. Getting pizza brb

wKNsigp.png

#49 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:40 PM

The Ubuntu login screen, or Windows? And teamviewer preferred. Getting pizza brb

Just the normal Windows like before. (I took the disc out)

And alright man, take your time.

I'll send Teamviewer info via PM. If you have to go or are busy, let me know. ^^

#50 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 08:44 PM

I'm back. I'm never (always) busy :) lol PM me at your convenience. I await in the shadows

wKNsigp.png

#51 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Everything looked pretty good. The memory was good, hdd health appeared alright, the temperatures for everything was fine. Did a little cleaning, having it defrag now, and running a chkdsk /f C:

A little curious as to why the keyboard is still not being detected. Hopefully when you reboot again things are back to normal.

wKNsigp.png

#52 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Thanks man!

It says "Quick Defrag Finished." Should I click on "Defrag" and just let it run?

And I'll try plugging in Wireless keyboard/mouse thing into another USB port. I was trying to respond without it, but it would only work sometimes lol

#53 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 09:22 PM

Thanks man!

It says "Quick Defrag Finished." Should I click on "Defrag" and just let it run?

And I'll try plugging in Wireless keyboard/mouse thing into another USB port. I was trying to respond without it, but it would only work sometimes lol

That was faster than I expected. I would actually just reboot now and let the check disk process run.

wKNsigp.png

#54 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 09:46 PM

That was faster than I expected. I would actually just reboot now and let the check disk process run.

Check disk is complete. Keyboard is still crap lol 

#55 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 09:49 PM

Do you have another keyboard to try, or perhaps one that can plug in to the PS/2 port?

Edited by -Wade-, January 01, 2014 - 09:50 PM.

wKNsigp.png

#56 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 09:50 PM

It is interesting that everything else, including your mouse, works.

You were able to boot into Windows fine after the check disk, right?

wKNsigp.png

#57 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 09:53 PM

It is interesting that everything else, including your mouse, works.

You were able to boot into Windows fine after the check disk, right?

I switched the Keyboard/Mouse USB into another port and still no difference. I do have another keyboard, but it's another wireless keyboard. I'd have to use the disc to install it. I'm not sure if I have the mouse for it though.

Yeah, somehow I've been able to boot properly! 

#58 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,087 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Ah, I'm wondering if the "wireless" part of the keyboard is battery or driver related. It is good to hear that you are able to boot properly. Hopefully it stays that way.

So you're positive the batteries are good? If so, let's try teamviewer again, I'll run driver genius on your box.

wKNsigp.png

#59 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

All-Star

• 6,174 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 10:01 PM

Ah, I'm wondering if the "wireless" part of the keyboard is battery or driver related. It is good to hear that you are able to boot properly. Hopefully it stays that way.

So you're positive the batteries are good? If so, let's try teamviewer again, I'll run driver genius on your box.

Yes, I just put in new batteries for both the keyboard and the mouse. The mouse only lagged once but it worked after I rebooted. Keyboard has just been a headache haha. 

Alright, I'll PM you the info again.

I really appreciate you helping me out this much. ^^

#60 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 01, 2014 - 10:11 PM

I'll check in tomorrow evening, when I'm not stacked with work, to see if I can help with anything.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users