• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,340 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:45 PM

Okay cool. I was just thinking that you could take one out a time and turn on your computer. Also try and switch them around.

I think both are occupied at 1 GB each, but I may be flat out wrong lol.

I'm confused about the taking them out part. Take both of them out, close the case, and then turn on the computer?

#22 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,868 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:47 PM

I think both are occupied at 1 GB each, but I may be flat out wrong lol.

I'm confused about the taking them out part. Take both of them out, close the case, and then turn on the computer?

Take both out. Then, place only one stick in and turn on the computer. Same error? Take that stick out and put the other stick in. Same error? Either both of your sticks of ram are shot (unlikely to see them go in pairs), or it is a problem relating to the motherboard.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#23 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Take both out. Then, place only one stick in and turn on the computer. Same error? Take that stick out and put the other stick in. Same error? Either both of your sticks of ram are shot (unlikely to see them go in pairs), or it is a problem relating to the motherboard.

Got it, thanks!

Will do that tomorrow morning. c:

#24 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,868 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Remember to ground yourself out. Good luck!

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#25 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Will do! Thanks again. ^^

#26 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,187 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted December 30, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Sounds a lot like MB failure but hopefully not. Does your computer use embedded Video or is it a Video Card?

How old is the computer. Like suggested by Wade and Jackson I would do some ram pulls, clean out the fans, if you know how use a voltmeter and check proper power is being supplied.

I'm sure a lot of people can attest that with computers it can be from the most simple issues to something full blown.

We are pretty sure it's hardware related though. Your computer does a series of self tests during bootup and anything from bad RAM, PCI cards, input devices, etc can mess things up

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#27 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Sounds a lot like MB failure but hopefully not. Does your computer use embedded Video or is it a Video Card?

How old is the computer. Like suggested by Wade and Jackson I would do some ram pulls, clean out the fans, if you know how use a voltmeter and check proper power is being supplied.

I'm sure a lot of people can attest that with computers it can be from the most simple issues to something full blown.

We are pretty sure it's hardware related though. Your computer does a series of self tests during bootup and anything from bad RAM, PCI cards, input devices, etc can mess things up

I'm pretty sure it's a Video Card. 

The computer is many years old, but my uncle and neighbor had replaced hardware the past few years. New motherboard about 3-4 years ago. Upgraded to 2 GB RAM instead of 512 MB 2-3 years ago. New PSU last year or two. 

I'm going to try cleaning it up and reseating the RAM right now.

I have no clue how to use a voltmeter lol

#28 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 12:08 PM

Just cleaned out the dust. No difference.

Last step will be reseating the RAM (and trying them by themselves).

#29 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Well it ended up having four slots and I had 512 MB in each slot. I took them all out, and just put the 512 MB one by itself, and I heard a beeping noise. I then went and inserted another 512 MB (so now I had 1 GB total), and I hard the beeping noise again.

There was nothing on the monitor except "no signal."

I'm pretty sure I entered the RAM sticks properly?

#30 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,868 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Can you try to take note of the beep codes? Classify them as short beeps and long beeps.

Example: 1 long beep, 3 short beeps

Example: 4 short beeps

2-4 shorts beeps by themselves, for example, might indicate a memory problem.

wKNsigp.png

#31 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 03:40 PM

Can you try to take note of the beep codes? Classify them as short beeps and long beeps.

Sure. Should I put 1 stick in (or more) again and classify the beeps?

I was also reading that perhaps I placed the sticks wrong. Most sticks tend to be placed on the slots farthest from the CPU?

#32 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,868 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 03:44 PM

I would start with 1 stick, take note of the beeps, insert another stick (2 sticks total), take note of these beeps, and repeat the process until all of your sticks are in and you have four beep codes written down.

In terms of stick placement, that may vary based on the motherboard. Do the slots have names like A1, A2, B1, B2? I would start placing them in A1 and B1.

I will not be able to assist you further until tomorrow, unfortunately. I am off to go do some cleaning in preparation of a party. Best of luck, have a good afternoon and eve.

Edited by -Wade-, December 31, 2013 - 03:45 PM.

wKNsigp.png

#33 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 03:50 PM

I would start with 1 stick, take note of the beeps, insert another stick (2 sticks total), take note of these beeps, and repeat the process until all of your sticks are in and you have four beep codes written down.

In terms of stick placement, that may vary based on the motherboard. Do the slots have names like A1, A2, B1, B2? I would start placing them in A1 and B1.

I will not be able to assist you further until tomorrow, unfortunately. I am off to go do some cleaning in preparation of a party. Best of luck, have a good afternoon and eve.

I haven't noticed any slots names, but I'll take a closer look.

No problem!

Have a great party and Happy New Years! c:

#34 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,868 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 03:53 PM

I haven't noticed any slots names, but I'll take a closer look.

No problem!

Have a great party and Happy New Years! c:

You as well, I will check back first thing tomorrow to see if I can help in any way.

wKNsigp.png

#35 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,693 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted December 31, 2013 - 04:19 PM

This, or that you are inserting the RAM incorrectly. Could be that the order is wrong also, as mentioned by Wade. I used to work on Dell pc's and they would beep and cry if I didn't install the RAM correctly or if I messed up the placement order.

#36 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 912 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:05 AM

How you place your ram depends on how many ports you have for it.

I assume you have two or four, ports, and one or two ram sticks.

If you have four and two, make you stick them into the first and third port.

Edited by LakersFanatic, January 01, 2014 - 07:06 AM.

#37 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 11:41 AM

Yes, I needed to provide more pressure onto the RAM sticks, so the beeping went away.

Alright, after inserting one RAM stick properly, the keyboard failure and memory problem errors went away!

They keyboard is not responding as well, but it's at least working. I have to click a letter multiple times for it to register. A big pain, but better than not  working at all. Edit: It's being very nonresponsive even after I inserted new batteries. Unfortunately I don't have a USB-wired keyboard to test, so I'll leave the computer on and use the on-screen keyboard.

I was able to log on onto my account although it's very slow due to only having 512 MB ram (or viruses). Either way, I'm afraid to turn it off. Now that I have it going, I think I can use Teamviewer with Wade (the Ubtunu didn't start though).

The problems that remained on the black screen error were everything except the keyboard failure and memory problem.

Edited by Clutch Factor, January 01, 2014 - 12:09 PM.

#38 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,868 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:26 PM

• Speedfan shows that the HDD and CPU are cool. I can not detect the fans or how fast they are running, but Clutch Factor states that he can hear the fans running.
  • Windows device manager recognizes all of the hardware components.
  • It appears that there might be a faulty stick of ram.

More info:

ok, next time you reboot your computer windows will run "chkdsk" (check disk) and attempt
to fix any errors on the hard drive. This may take anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour. After
that is done, you should probably try to rule out if any of your sticks of ram are failing, or
if they just weren't properly placed into the motherboard before.

To do this, take out the 512mb stick that you know is working, and put that into a "goodd"
pile. Then, take another stick of ram and put it in that slot, boot up, and if it boott in,
reboot and take that out and put it in the "good" pile, otherwise, put it in the bad pile.

If you have any sticks in the bad pile, this might mean that failing memory was causing such
errors. If there are no sticks in the bad pile, then such errors were caused by something else,
which I would be happy to investigate. For your reference, I will copy and paste this into
the LakerNation converation so that you can refer to here when your computer is turned off.

Okay, so the only problem I had was with one memory in which the monitor would not even turn on (no signal).

So now I inserted the 3 sticks that did work. No keyboard failure. No memory failure. Just the other errors. I pressed F1 to continue, which somehow worked. But now it went back to the Dell loading screen and the bar is stuck halfway there. I'm thinking about restarting it. 

Alright so after restarting it, I get two options:

1) Launch Windows Startup Repair (Recommended)

2) Start Windows Normally

Well originally I did the first option, and it says "Loading Files" but then it goes into the windows loading screen and just freezes. All very fast. You don't see the windows logo, but you do see an empty loading bar and "Microsoft Corporation" labeled underneath it. I waited 30 minutes+ and it was still frozen there.

When I click on the second option, it acts like it's loading, but then it goes back to the Dell loading screen and then the black screen which gives me the two options. 

I can get into the Setup Menu (F2) or the Boot Sequence (F12) this time.

Perhaps take out all of the CDs/DVDs in your computer, turn it off, and then turn it on.

If it asks again, go with "Start Windows Normally." If it continues to freeze, I would be curious to see if the master boot loader is somehow corrupt, if Windows is somehow damaged, or if this really is hardware related.

So, if it continues to freeze, put the Ubuntu DVD back in and under the Boot Sequence (F12), boot from the disc drive that Ubuntu is in.

Once you are in Ubuntu, go to the start menu (upper left), type in "terminal" and then type in the following command:

free

It should tell you how much memory you have (RAM). If you have 3 sticks in, then it should display around 1.5GB. This is what we want. From there, reboot the machine with the "reboot" command.

reboot

Then, try to boot into Windows normally again.

If Ubuntu says you have 1.5GB of memory and recognizes all of your hardware, and you still can't boot into Windows, the next thing I would try is reformatting Windows. If you have files that you would like backed up, we can do this before any of the formatting takes place. It will just require using teamviewer inside of Ubuntu.

Boot Device Menu gives me these options:

1. Normal

2. Primary Master Device

3. Hard-Disk Drive C:

4. IDE CD-ROM Device

5. System Setup

6. IDE Drive Diagnostics

7. Boot to Utility Partition

I've put the Ubuntu disk in both the DVD drive and basic CD drive, and clicked option 4. It then told me to press F1 to continue or F2 to run setup utility. I press F1, but then it takes me back to the screen giving me those two options (Start Windows Repair, Start Windows Normally). I did Start Windows Normally, and that cycle continues.

wKNsigp.png

#39 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:32 PM

Once I press F2 (Setup) I see "Boot Sequence." It gives me three options:

1) Hard-Disk Drive C: (there is a check here)

2) IDE CD-ROM Device (there is a check here)

3) Floppy device (not installed),

I took the check off of option 1 and left it for only option 2. After loading, I pressed F1 to continue and it kept giving me an error like 

"F1 can't boot"

#40 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,340 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 07:39 PM

Oh, I pressed "-" to move CD-ROM to number 1 on the list. Made no difference though. Just gives me the two options once again (Setup repair/start windows normally) and after starting windows normally, the cycle repeats

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users