• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,386 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 30, 2013 - 02:16 PM

My previous Monitor abruptly stopped working, so I ordered a new one from Amazon that just came in. As I plugged it in and turned it on, it showed the Dell logo screen (which was an improvement from the previous monitor, which wouldn't even turn on)

Then it listed problems like "Memory Diskette Failure" and other things. "Keyboard Failure." 

"Press F1 to continue"

Well at first I couldn't since my wireless keyboard wouldn't work (I made sure all was connected). But after restarting, everything happens again (Dell logo, memory diskette failure errors, etc) and then after just a black screen. So if my keyboard was working and I pressed F1, it would just take me to a black screen.

Any help? Once the monitor was actually displaying the Dell logo and everything after, I was so sure it was going to work. Apparently not...

Edited by Clutch Factor, January 03, 2014 - 01:30 PM.

#2 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,919 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 30, 2013 - 02:56 PM

If you are seeing things like "Keyboard Failure," perhaps there is a different problem at hand? Can you try plugging in a monitor that you know works, or borrow one from a friend or relative? What happens when you plug that working monitor in? Is all well, or are you seeing these listed errors still?

You usually see things like "Disc boot error," "Memory Diskette Failure," etc. before the computer tried to boot the machine, letting you know of some potential hardware issue at hand.

Since F1 is taking you to a black screen, this might not even be a monitor problem, but rather one with your hard drive or mother board. You should run a chkdisk. Do you still have your OS installation CD (e.g. Windows Install Disc)? If so, check out this article:

https://kb.wisc.edu/....php?id=5097#CD

Otherwise, you will need to download a Linux live boot and try to diagnose your problems in there. If you can get to that stage and get Teamviewer running, I will remotely connect into the machine (Teamviewer gives you supervision over me) and will try to diagnose the problem. An Ubuntu live boot would be your best bet. Download Ubuntu .iso, burn it to a DVD-R, put it in your computer and boot from the disc. This will NOT install over Windows (so no need to worry about losing files), it runs a temporary operating system in temporary memory and random access.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#3 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,386 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 03:07 PM

Thanks so much for the in-depth response.

I'm positive the new monitor I purchased works. Because with the old monitor, it wouldn't even turn on. 

Unfortunately I do not have the OS Installation CD.

So between a Linux live boot and Ubuntu live boot, I should go with Ubuntu?

So using my laptop, download Ubuntu .iso file, burn it into a DVD-R, and then install it onto the desktop computer that has all the problems? For the installation part, do I just insert the disc right after turning on the computer? Or wait for the black screen to come?

Edited by Clutch Factor, December 30, 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#4 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,919 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 03:15 PM

Ubuntu is Linux, it is just targeted for individuals who haven't used Linux before. It is very much like Windows, in the sense that there are buttons and windows for you to click, rather than special commands that need to be typed in.

Download the Ubuntu .iso

Burn it to a DVD-R

Place the DVD-R in the desktop that has all of the problems

Hit F1 to go past the black screen

It should boot from the disc. It will ask if you want to do "Live Boot" or "Install." Do a Live Boot, as you don't want to install over all of your files. IF THIS DOES NOT WORK, you need to try changing your boot priority within your bios. Restart your computer and smash on the keys F5-F12, one of those generally takes you into bios. You need to give your CD/DVD Rom drive the highest priority in the boot sequence. This is found under the "Boot" tab.

ocs-00-boot-dev-priority-bios.png

Restart your computer and you should now be offered to do an Ubuntu "Live Boot" or "Install."

Once you are logged into Ubuntu, find the command prompt. You can do this by hitting the start button (like the Windows start button, but it is located in the upper left hand corner), and then typing "terminal" into the search bar. This will bring up a command prompt window.

Type in:

apt-get install teamviewer

And hit "enter" to execute that command. It will install the teamviewer software onto your temporary operating system.

Teamviewer will give you an ID and a Password.

PM me the ID and the Password, leaving teamviewer running.

I connect to your ID with the password and can then see what you see, control your mouse, etc.

You have full supervision over my actions on teamviewer and can kick me out of your computer at anytime by simply exiting out of teamviewer.

Edited by -Wade-, December 30, 2013 - 03:17 PM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#5 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,386 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 03:22 PM

Got it. Well I just installed Ubuntu and will burn it to a DVD-R. And then I'll let you know after I follow all those steps (it may take me awhile)

Sounds good, I'm familiar with Teamviewer. ^^ Haha I would never kick you out.

Edited by Clutch Factor, December 30, 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#6 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,919 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 03:24 PM

Haha I would never kick you out.

You might if I start typing rm -rf / into the terminal. LOL jk. But yeah dude, best of luck, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by -Wade-, December 30, 2013 - 03:24 PM.

wKNsigp.png

#7 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,209 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted December 30, 2013 - 04:51 PM

Have you installed any new hardware lately other than connecting a new monitor?

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#8 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,386 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 05:32 PM

Have you installed any new hardware lately other than connecting a new monitor?

No, just the monitor today because I thought that was the problem. At least with this monitor, the screen shows something (Dell screen, error information) before ultimately going to the black screen. 

The old monitor nothing showed.

#9 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,919 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:24 PM

No, just the monitor today because I thought that was the problem. At least with this monitor, the screen shows something (Dell screen, error information) before ultimately going to the black screen. 

The old monitor nothing showed.

You should forward our conversation to Draztik to get a second opinion.

Edited by -Wade-, December 30, 2013 - 06:25 PM.

wKNsigp.png

#10 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,713 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:38 PM

Reseat your RAM.

And if you have a large enough USB drive, you can just download Windows 7 from another end device, add it to your USB, download a program that makes your USB boot-able, and make a bootable USB.

Edited by Jackson, December 30, 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#11 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,386 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:43 PM

You should forward our conversation to Draztik to get a second opinion.

I think I'll copy/paste the entire conversation here, just in case it helps anyone else out. ^^

#12 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,386 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:50 PM

http://imageshack.co...9/6433/rhim.jpg

From the picture, I take from this that the BIOS may need to be reset and or there is failing RAM. Do you have any extra keyboards? If so, can you unplug the old one and plug the new keyboard into a different port? Do you get the same error? If so, what happens when you try the trick presented in this video: 

Do you get the same error? If so, what we'll try next is flashing the bios by resetting the CMOs battery.
Here is a guide on how to do this with pictures: http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS

Video: 

Also, if you do have to resort to the CMOs step, be sure to ground yourself out so that static shock does not destroy your motherboard. To ground yourself out, place your hands on a piece of metal for 30 seconds before working on the computer. Usually, your computer chassis (the case of the computer) will suffice. Just place your hands on top of the tower for 30 seconds before doing any work inside of that tower.

Be sure to write back as to how it goes / how I can assist you further.

I just did both and neither got me any further. After flashing the bios, I even went back to the first method to see if that trick would help with the keyboard. Unfortunately not. 

#13 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,919 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:55 PM

I think I'll copy/paste the entire conversation here, just in case it helps anyone else out. ^^

Roger that. INFO DUMP:

Memory write/read failure and Memory address line is referring to your RAM

Invalid configuration information is referring to BIOS not being able to retain hardware configuration

Diskette drive 0 seek failure is referring to the motherboard being unable to detect and or boot from a CD/DVD drive or floppy drive

Keyboard failure is referring to the motherboard being unable to detect the keyboard

Performing automatic IDE configuration is because BIOs can't remember any settings about your hard drive (primary, slave, etc.)

I was about to address each symptom separately, but it appears that this is an issue with your motherboard. The Alert! Previous fan failure suggests overheating, though this message just may be because BIOs can't retain the settings.

I would replace your CMOS battery, which will range from $3-$10.

http://www.computerh...es/ch000239.htm

It's really too bad that you are going through this. In the meantime, you might try reseating your RAM and cross your fingers, but I don't think that will solve the problem. Here is how to reseat your RAM:

http://pcsupport.abo...seat_memory.htm

You should also look for dust buildup on any of the fans in your computer, especially the one next to the CPU and in your power supply (the big box with all of the cords going into it). If there is dust buildup, use a paint brush to clean it up. Alternatively, use compressed air (be sure to shake the can of compressed air before spraying).

In summary, replacing the CMOs battery for $3-$10 and reseating the RAM is your best bet. If neither work, you might want to look into a multimeter to analyze the voltages of your motherboard (to see if the motherboard is fried or not). If the motherboard is fried, it essentially renders all of the other hardware components useless.

wKNsigp.png

#14 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,386 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:56 PM

^ Beat me to it. XD 

Edited by Clutch Factor, December 30, 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#15 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,713 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Clutch Factor, how many Ram sticks do you have?

Edited by Jackson, December 30, 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#16 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,713 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:59 PM

I'll try the reseating the RAM method tomorrow sometime.

Quick question though: Do you think the old monitor stopped working altogether? Because after I purchased the new monitor, I actually got the Dell screen and the list of errors that I wasn't getting with the older monitor. I'm just not sure if I need to return the new one.

I think it's more of a coincidence that your monitor broke at the same time... OR your Mobo is becoming fried. See if it can't detect RAM, HDD, USB peripherals, and your monitor then something is up with it.

Edited by Jackson, December 30, 2013 - 07:00 PM.

#17 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,919 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:02 PM

I think it's more of a coincidence that your monitor broke at the same time... OR your Mobo is becoming fried. See if it can't detect RAM, HDD, USB peripherals, and your monitor then something is up with it.

That is what I'm thinking. Replacing the CMOs battery, reseating the ram, cleaning out dust, and testing the voltages of the motherboard to see if it is fried might be the only option. You might also look to see if there is a lot of dust buildup in the PSU. This may prevent the motherboard from receiving the correct voltage.

wKNsigp.png

#18 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,713 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:08 PM

That is what I'm thinking. Replacing the CMOs battery, reseating the ram, cleaning out dust, and testing the voltages of the motherboard to see if it is fried might be the only option. You might also look to see if there is a lot of dust buildup in the PSU. This may prevent the motherboard from receiving the correct voltage.

Yeah spot on. I was going to post that too, but I realized it's hard to tell if it's from the PSU since the variables vary. I was going to tell him to post a picture of his PSU voltage numbers... I don't know if that's going to be much of a help though.

#19 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,386 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Clutch Factor, how many Ram sticks do you have?

I think it's 2, but I'll have to double check!

#20 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,713 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:38 PM

I think it's 2, but I'll have to double check!

Okay cool. I was just thinking that you could take one out a time and turn on your computer. Also try and switch them around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users