Photo

Luol Deng on joining the Lakers; Lakers express interest (Pg. 3); Phil Jackson thinks Lakers will target Luol Deng in offseason (Pg. 12)

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#241 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,491 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 03, 2014 - 07:10 AM

I totally agree.  I don't necessarily want Deng either but I think Melo is a worse option fit wise.  Lakers have the luxury of options this off season.  Brooks or Young,  Bazemore or Henry or Meeks or new 3pt threat.  Bazemore can probably be brought back with limited expectations to play a big role but I doubt they can bring Brooks back to play limited minutes behind Young or Henry.

I do not know what the infatuation is with Deng honestly. 

The guys defense isn't as good as it once was, he's not a "two way" player becaue his offensive production is very crap and inefficient and VERY MUCH so this year and as of late.  

For those watching him in Cleveland he's one of the WORST shooters in the NBA right now and during the month of February 39% from the field and 29% from three... That's Ricky Rubio like numbers and through March has shot 35% from the field and across his last 5 games has shot 26% from the field and .077% from three.     

Why would you want to spend so much on this guy or even 10 million on him?  I don't see his game ever improving and he's only going to get older from here.   Idk why people like him so much tbh.  I never have.   

Develop Baze for 1.2 million and see if you can get something better and if you can't don't waste 10 million on Deng, save it for some time or someone else. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#242 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,274 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted March 03, 2014 - 08:35 AM

Carmelo and Deng are the most realistic pieces they can get among others of course 

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#243 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Rookie

• 976 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 03, 2014 - 09:01 AM

Why can't we sign Deng AND Melo?

I know Kobe's contract makes it difficult , but if Melo is serious about winning now, he'll have to take a pay cut no matter where he goes and the same goes for Deng , if both of them signed for something small now with the promise of possibly more money when Kobe is off the books, then we could make a decent run next year.

I know it sounds like a pipe dream , but it'd be dope if Mitch managed something like this:

Marshall / Farmar

Kobe/ Exum / Bazemore

Deng / Young / Johnson

Melo / Hill

Gasol / Sacre

Idk how far this Team would go ina stacked Western Conference, but i'd love to see how it would compete.

Edited by RickyStarFox, March 03, 2014 - 09:02 AM.

#244 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 2,874 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 09:13 AM

Deng isn't playing well right now but I think some small team like the Bucks or Bobcats will overpay him in the summer. Kind of like what happened with OJ Mayo and Al Jefferson.

#245 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,803 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 03, 2014 - 09:15 AM

@Majesty. I think Deng's value lies on the defensive end, where he's among the elite and one of the few who can guard anyone at any position, and also due to the fact that he does everything needed within the team oriented game. But he'll cost 10 million, at least, and you can probably get Ariza, who does much of the same, for about half of that.

I know Kobe's contract makes it difficult , but if Melo is serious about winning now, he'll have to take a pay cut no matter where he goes and the same goes for Deng , if both of them signed for something small now with the promise of possibly more money when Kobe is off the books, then we could make a decent run next year.

I know it sounds like a pipe dream , but it'd be dope if Mitch managed something like this:

Marshall / Farmar

Kobe/ Exum / Bazemore

Deng / Young / Johnson

Melo / Hill

Gasol / Sacre

Idk how far this Team would go ina stacked Western Conference, but i'd love to see how it would compete.

Melo, Deng and Pau would have to leave 10 million on the table, each, per year for that to happen. No one will ever do that...

#246 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 2,574 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted March 03, 2014 - 09:46 AM

Deng's play at cleve could be result of effort or lack there of. 

Praying for 1. Kobe's Health (looks pretty good so far), 2. High Draft Pick (Randle...injured game #1.*sigh*) 3. Miracle Trade (Not yet), 4. Quality Free Agent (Boozer, kind of, Davis, nice upside!), 5. Brilliant Coaching Hire (Byron!...but the jury is out)

#247 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,491 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 10:49 AM

Not sure how you bring back Gasol and then sign Melo and Deng...

Marshall / Farmar

Kobe/ Exum / Bazemore

Deng / Young / Johnson

Melo / Hill

Gasol / Sacre

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#248 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted March 03, 2014 - 11:55 AM

Marshall / Farmar

Kobe/ Exum / Bazemore

Deng / Young / Johnson

Melo / Hill

Gasol / Sacre

Why not Deng and Melo?

Because it locks you in to two contracts that are gonna be Pau-level toxic in a couple years and the reward is gonna be a couple of second round exits. IMO, that team would be really fun to watch offensively, but not talented enough on defense and rebounding to go far in the playoffs. Especially if MDA is still coach.

Posted Image

#249 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 6,491 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 12:23 PM

All the it doesn't matter how much money Kobe is making the next 2 year guys are going to realize how much it hurts the flexibility of the franchise this offseason.  I'm not confident there is an affordable enough cast out there you can line up with Kobe to make a decent run.  I don't think you can count on 2 guys to take paycuts along with satisfying the young talent as well.  Something is going to have to give. 

#250 8RingKobe

8RingKobe

Rookie

• 725 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted March 03, 2014 - 02:04 PM

I'd like Deng but he would probably cost to much. I'll take Ariza and keep Johnson as the backup 3.

#251 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,803 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 11:36 PM

All the it doesn't matter how much money Kobe is making the next 2 year guys are going to realize how much it hurts the flexibility of the franchise this offseason.  I'm not confident there is an affordable enough cast out there you can line up with Kobe to make a decent run.  I don't think you can count on 2 guys to take paycuts along with satisfying the young talent as well.  Something is going to have to give. 

I dont think we can put a championship roster together, but we should be able to put a playoff team on the floor. 

If we could get a high draft pick, get Kobe and many of our current guys back, spend about 10 million on free agents and perhaps move Pau for an expiring contract, i think we can make it to the playoffs and if we then add another top tier FA in 2015, i think we can make a run. 

• 40,556 posts

Posted March 03, 2014 - 11:41 PM

Deng's #s on the season:

http://espn.go.com/n.../2429/luol-deng

14jx9pv.png

yo.

#253 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,063 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 03, 2014 - 11:45 PM

Deng's #s on the season:

http://espn.go.com/n.../2429/luol-deng

14jx9pv.png

Not worth 10m imo. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#254 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,803 posts

Posted March 04, 2014 - 11:15 PM

I think we have to factor in the Lakers' payroll, when we're considering Dengs worth.

Deng is worth 10 million on many teams as a third option / glue-guy / best defender, but on the Lakers that's decided to give all their money to Kobe, paying Deng 10 million is too risky. Ariza at the MLE.

#255 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,853 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted March 05, 2014 - 12:07 AM

To be fair dengs numbers have hurt since he went to the Cavs. He was averaging 19/7 on 45% shooting on the bulls. That and playing Damn good defense. The Cavs and Mike brown make players worse.

Edited by bigfetz, March 05, 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#256 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 18,157 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 27, 2014 - 01:18 PM

Here's one way the Cavaliers can improve their chances of keeping Luol Deng, sources say: Hire Bulls assistant Adrian Griffin as head coach.

#257 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,012 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 01:29 PM

If it comes down to Ariza or Deng, ill get whoever is cheaper. Not to forget Bazemore who has the potential to be able to do what both of them does but cheaper and younger. 

#258 martin90

martin90

Rookie

• 524 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 27, 2014 - 01:38 PM

I'd rather go with Ariza, not much different and it's cheaper.

Ariza current season 14.4/6.2/2.5 
Deng current season 16/5.7/2.9 

#259 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,553 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 27, 2014 - 01:40 PM

Deng is on the decline.

I'd rather take Ariza for a cheaper price, sign Boozer to play 4 once he is amnested, then spend some money on Gortat or try and lure in Asik and Lin via sign and trade with the Rockets.  It would set us up to contend for a playoff push this year, then open up salary space next year to sign Love as Asik and Lin's 16 million expire along with Steve Nash's 9.

Edited by lakers1o1, May 27, 2014 - 01:41 PM.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#260 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,718 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted May 27, 2014 - 01:41 PM

i wouldn't mind targeting  Lance S. and ariza this year

ap1.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users