Photo

Luol Deng on joining the Lakers; Lakers express interest (Pg. 3); Phil Jackson thinks Lakers will target Luol Deng in offseason (Pg. 12)

• Please log in to reply
397 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,091 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 25, 2013 - 03:17 AM

Something new for the front page other than "we'll be destroyed by (insert team)", "I hate the coach/player/player's contract!"  and "tank" threads in this holiday season of positivity   ;)

Will Luol Deng Leave Bulls for Lakers?

LuolDeng_InsideOnly.jpg

“I’m human, so every now and then, it crosses your mind,” Deng told HOOPSWORLD when asked whether or not his pending free agency has been a distraction over the course of the young season.

After losing Dwight Howard last summer, the Los Angeles Lakers will be armed with copious amounts of cap space, and if history is an indication of what may transpire in the future, it may be in Los Angeles that one of Deng’s zealous pursuers await.

LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Bosh are the big fish expected to be available when the summer of 2014 rolls around, but it is Deng who may emerge as the most realistic target for Jim Buss’ Lakers.

And if the Lakers come knocking, expect Deng to listen.

Even after signing Kobe Bryant to a two-year extension worth $48.5 million, the Lakers have a malleable payroll situation and have retained the flexibility to manufacture upwards of $30 million of cap space this summer.

Either James or Anthony would be nice, but it is Deng who Bryant refused to do without seven years ago.

Back then, Bryant believed that Deng, a 22-year-old member of the Bulls, had the potential to be a vital ally. Now, as he nears his 29th birthday, Deng has fulfilled that potential, becoming renowned as being one of the league’s more underrated two-way players. He’s also become a two-time All-Star and defensive stalwart.

And now, seven years after Deng emerged as the apple of Bryant’s eye, the Bulls are dealing with the uncertainty of an injury-riddled present, a tenuous coaching situation and a front office stubbornly opposed to consistently paying the league’s luxury tax.

The Lakers may once again come knocking.

With raised eyebrows and a sigh, Deng thought before he answered the obvious question—whether he could see himself as a Laker.

“When the summer comes, I can probably answer that,” Deng told HOOPSWORLD. “To be honest with you I’ve done my best – I’ve been in a contract situation before when I was young and it affected me. This year, during the summer, I told myself that no matter what, I’m just going to be in the gym working.”

Thus far, he has mostly kept that promise, even as the Bulls deal with another season without Derrick Rose. But it is far from easy.

“[Focusing] is a difficult thing to do,” Deng admitted. “But it’s the best thing to challenge myself to do. I’m not general manager and I’m not a team owner; I’m a basketball player.”

And obviously, a very good one.

In his recent sit down, Deng’s tone and demeanor was reminiscent of the last time he dealt with questions about the Lakers.

It was almost seven years ago on opening night of the 2007-08 season. There, in East Rutherford New Jersey’s Izod Center, he would take on the New Jersey Nets, yet all the media wanted to discuss was Bryant and the Lakers.

“I don’t know what is going on, exactly,” Deng told ESPN.com back then.

But what was going on was a struggle between Bryant and Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak. The Lakers were ready to grant Bryant’s earlier issued trade request. Bryant could have traded the hills of Hollywood for the tranquility of Chicago’s Millennium Park, but his one condition was clear.

Bryant wanted to join forces with Deng, not be traded for him.

Wielding a no-trade clause, Bryant vetoed a proposed trade that would have seen him sent to Chicago for a package built around Deng. Unable to otherwise find an agreeable trade for Bryant, Kupchak began pursuing his Plan B—acquiring a sidekick to appease Bryant.

Inspiring play from both Trevor Ariza and Andrew Bynum and a 7-3 start to the season helped the Bryant drama cool down and bought Kupchak enough time to pull off the paradigm-shifting trade that saw the Lakers acquire Pau Gasol from the Memphis Grizzlies.

Now, three Finals trips and two championships later, the Bryant-Deng saga is ancient history and mostly forgotten, but with the Lakers and Bulls each at a crossroads with their respective franchises, this is the type of history that may repeat.

Only this time, the Bulls must deal with a more punitive luxury tax system and have recently considered trading Deng. With hefty financial commitments to Joakim Noah, Taj Gibson and Derrick Rose, the Bulls were unable to come to an agreement with Deng on an extension, despite his desire to remain with the club.

“I don’t know what it’s like in any other locker room or any other organization — maybe it’s better, maybe it’s not,” Deng said. “I have no complaints with how blessed and how lucky I’ve been to be in such an organization for 10 years. Not a lot people could say that,” he said. “I don’t know if the grass is greener. Maybe it is, but my grass is green enough.”

Coincidentally, green is what may ultimately determine where Deng ends up after this season.

Read more at http://www.hoopsworl...cdQUC2Locje3.99

The entire article is a lengthy one but worth the read.   Have fun discussing this.  

Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas and all other holidays or celebrations you believe in or celebrate! :)

Edited by Majesty, December 27, 2013 - 06:57 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,714 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 25, 2013 - 03:32 AM

20/7 on 46% FG who plays good defense and is only 28. I would much rather get deng than melo. I have said this before, melo will become our new pau in 2/3 years after we sign him. He will be 32/33 and we will see his offense getting worse and his non existant defense become even worse. Melo is gonna put us into another hole that we wont be able to get out of for years. Deng gives us the ability to resign or sign some other players and also he's just hitting his peak. We wont see a decline till the end of his contract. 

Deng is the safe route that lets us continue to build. Melo is a high risk at this point and for the money he will want. 

#3 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,328 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 25, 2013 - 03:42 AM

I don't see how signing a injury prone player is a safe route.

Deng's camp wants max money or close to it, while the Bulls are hoping for somewhere more in the $8-9 million range.

What is Deng max?

Edited by Mooninite, December 25, 2013 - 03:45 AM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#4 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,563 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted December 25, 2013 - 03:48 AM

Love him as a piece
Hate him as a star

Would be a great sf next to Kobe

Having him come for the right price is the issue... How big of a discount would be take?

#5 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,534 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 04:18 AM

maybe a few years ago...pass now though

bw1wOGf.png

#6 Rad

Rad

• 1,631 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 04:20 AM

Get it done Mitch.

#7 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 25, 2013 - 05:25 AM

Deng would be a fantastic role player for the Lakers. If he is willing to sign for cheap, he would be more than welcomed.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#8 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,773 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 05:42 AM

Thats the best we can get with Kobe's contract. We can add players or extend contracts if we get him as opposed to getting Melo.

If Melo is 25 or 26 Id take him over Deng, but this is not the case. I dont want to get stuck with a contract that would be bigger than what Melo would bring down the line.

Lakers should find a PG and a PF, C. We have enough depth in the SG position, and with Deng at the 3, we'd only need to fill the 4, and 5 position.

#9 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

All-Star

• 5,773 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted December 25, 2013 - 07:43 AM

Deng and the Bulls are said to be about 4-5M a part in their talks.  That says alot about what he's either asking for or what they are willing to pay.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#10 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'd  give him 11/12m.

#11 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,821 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 25, 2013 - 09:04 AM

For the right price yeah. I hope he doesn't think that he will be able to get paid here because he isn't a star by any means. A great piece to have on a chip team, but isn't the star of a winning team. What if we get him to plug in the three and get melo and have him play the 4. I think I am allowed to dream I mean it is Christmas .

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#12 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,505 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 09:11 AM

Money is the culprit, eh?

MMiRi9s.png

#13 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted December 25, 2013 - 09:37 AM

6 mill

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#14 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted December 25, 2013 - 09:40 AM

maybe a few years ago...pass now though

19.6 7 4.1 PTs/reb/ast are you srs. sorry font changed

Edited by Ham, December 25, 2013 - 09:40 AM.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,091 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 25, 2013 - 11:15 AM

I don't see how signing a injury prone player is a safe route.

What is Deng max?

Deng isn't getting the max, anywhere. 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#16 8RingKobe

8RingKobe

Rookie

• 724 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted December 25, 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'd pay him up to 8m. Whether or not he'd take that is a whole different story. Be a Deng good addition though.

20/7 on 46% FG who plays good defense and is only 28. I would much rather get deng than melo. I have said this before, melo will become our new pau in 2/3 years after we sign him. He will be 32/33 and we will see his offense getting worse and his non existant defense become even worse. Melo is gonna put us into another hole that we wont be able to get out of for years. Deng gives us the ability to resign or sign some other players and also he's just hitting his peak. We wont see a decline till the end of his contract.

Deng is the safe route that lets us continue to build. Melo is a high risk at this point and for the money he will want.

Comparing Melo to Pau is so insulting to Melo.

Edited by 8RingKobe, December 25, 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#17 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Starter

• 5,381 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 25, 2013 - 11:31 AM

I've love to have him as a piece. However, his injuries concern me.

#18 bigvee

bigvee

Hall Of Fame

• 8,691 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 25, 2013 - 11:47 AM

Getting Deng is a risky move in the right direction. His injuries concern me, and we haven't had the greatest luck lately.

#19 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Rookie

• 1,146 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 25, 2013 - 11:49 AM

Love him as a piece
Hate him as a star
Would be a great sf next to Kobe
Having him come for the right price is the issue... How big of a discount would be take?

I agree! Memo to Deng: overestimating ones value can be a humbling experience.

#20 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,355 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted December 25, 2013 - 12:01 PM

cheaper than melo but......

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users