SI: The 50 Highest-Earning Athletes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted July 31, 2008 - 06:51 PM

http://sportsillustr...ex.html?eref=T1

Ranking the 50 highest-earning athletes in the U.S.

By Jonah Freedman, SI.com

Five years ago, Sports Illustrated first set out to find the 50 top-earning American athletes (taking into account on- and off-the-field income). We discovered a few basic facts, and as the Fortunate 50 turns five, some things have remained dead-on consistent:

No one can touch Tiger Woods, the runaway No. 1 for the fifth year in a row. Tiger's near $128 million haul is more than double his closest pursuer, Phil Mickelson at $62.4 million. As usual, hoops dominates the 50: More than half this year's list is made up of NBA players. There are 10 baseball players, seven football players, three NASCAR drivers, three golfers and one boxer -- and yet zero women.

Meanwhile, our International 20 list has seen a huge bump in average paycheck, thanks to the weak American dollar: 12 of the athletes earn their bread in foreign currencies from leagues outside the U.S. In the futures department, we tab the likes of Danica Patrick, Chris Paul and Joba Chamberlain to someday soon make the 50 in our Future Fortunates photo gallery.

As always, we limited our estimates to salary, winnings, bonuses, endorsements and appearances. Candidates for the 50 had to be American citizens. For an in-depth analysis of who's on the fifth annual Fortunate 50 and why, click here.

1. Tiger Woods

2. Phil Mickelson

3. LeBron James

4. Floyd Mayweather Jr.

5. Kobe Bryant

6. Shaquille O'neal

7. Alex Rodriguez

8. Kevin Garnett

9. Peyton Manning

10. Derek Jeter

FULL list inside including details: salary/winning + endorsements, etc.

#2 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 9,011 posts

Posted July 31, 2008 - 08:54 PM

Floyd Mayweather iz the most overrated and boring fighter i have ever watched, cant wait to see his [expletive] get beat in the octagon

#3 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 01, 2008 - 09:08 AM

Floyd Mayweather iz the most overrated and boring fighter i have ever watched, cant wait to see his [expletive] get beat in the octagon

overrated? lol...dude is a 6 time world champ...and sorry, if DLH's offer of $20mil cant get him to fight, there's no way MMA can afford him
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#4 funkychunky

funkychunky

Rookie

• 150 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 01, 2008 - 10:19 AM

Tiger should become the first billion-dollar athlete in the next two years -- and he's still only 32.

:D

last month Bryant bought each of them $9,000 Swiss watches as a thank you for helping him win his first MVP award.

Dang! Nice, Kobe :clap:

#5 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 01, 2008 - 10:42 AM

overrated? lol...dude is a 6 time world champ...

I would say he's somewhat overrated in the sense that he's wussed out on several potential opponents like Cotto & Margorito to name a few & possibly for the DLH rematch & Manny rumors as well.

He says that he's the best pound for pound boxer in the world and that he can beat anybody, well prove it. Quit backing down. If you're competitive, you do it more for the competition than the money, for personal pride.

#6 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 01, 2008 - 11:42 AM

I would say he's somewhat overrated in the sense that he's wussed out on several potential opponents like Cotto & Margorito to name a few & possibly for the DLH rematch & Manny rumors as well.

He says that he's the best pound for pound boxer in the world and that he can beat anybody, well prove it. Quit backing down. If you're competitive, you do it more for the competition than the money, for personal pride.

would you consider Manny overrated because he hasnt fought guzman, soto, or edwin valero? of course you wouldn't..you might call him a vagina but it doesn't take anything away from his accomplishments...overrated IMO is someone that has NOT done anything
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#7 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 01, 2008 - 02:12 PM

Guzman, Soto, & Valero are all chumps imo compared to Cotto & Margorito, but I get your point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users