Photo

Does Anyone Know How To Hide Android Navigation Bar With Home & Back Functions To Gain More Screen As Well As Notifications Bar?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

• 40,556 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 10:58 PM

Does anyone here know how to hide the navigation bar/functions on android to gain more screen? Is there like maybe an app or more for this? Is it even possible? Please help...

Also the notifications bar.

Edited by    , December 19, 2013 - 11:37 PM.

yo.

#2 GenkiSushi

GenkiSushi

Rookie

• 780 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:02 PM

I think it depends on what launcher you are using. Some stock launchers do not have that option, I think. I am currently using apex launcher, which has that option.

Edit: I'm sorry, i was referring to the notification bar on the top part of the screen.

Edited by GenkiSushi, December 19, 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#3 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,028 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:04 PM

Perhaps Ultimate Dynamic Navbar will help you:

https://play.google....mrbimc.udn.lite

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#4 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,028 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:04 PM

I think it depends on what launcher you are using. Some stock launchers do not have that option, I think. I am currently using apex launcher, which has that option.

Edit: I'm sorry, i was referring to the notification bar on the top part of the screen.

<3 Apex

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 40,556 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Thanks to the both of you, however Wade seems more in line with what I need, although it happens to say this:

**ROOT IS REQUIRED, DO NOT EVEN TRY IF YOU DON'T HAVE ROOT**

Does that mean I can't install the app until I do something else to my device to prepare it? Or that by installing this app, I'm automatically putting my device at risk as far as any warranty it might have in case something goes bad?

yo.

#6 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,028 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:29 PM

Thanks to the both of you, however Wade seems more in line with what I need, although it happens to say this:

**ROOT IS REQUIRED, DO NOT EVEN TRY IF YOU DON'T HAVE ROOT**

Does that mean I can't install the app until I do something else to my device to prepare it? Or that by installing this app, I'm automatically putting my device at risk as far as any warranty it might have in case something goes bad?

I didn't see that, my apologies. Yes, you will need to root your device, which varies based on your Android version and the type of phone that you have. I'll be on the lookout for other apps and will let you know if I find any.

wKNsigp.png

• 40,556 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:36 PM

Thanks. Also actually, would like to hide the notification bar as well, which is on the right side (nav bar on the left). I've got a 10.1 inch tablet that runs android 4.1 by the way. Cheaper brand, but yeah..

yo.

• 40,556 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:45 PM

Found some more information on all of this, but man does this sound complicated...

https://developer.an...-ui/status.html

Hide the Status Bar on Android 4.1 and Higher

You can hide the status bar on Android 4.1 (API level 16) and higher by using setSystemUiVisibility(). setSystemUiVisibility() sets UI flags at the individual view level; these settings are aggregated to the window level. Using setSystemUiVisibility() to set UI flags gives you more granular control over the system bars than using WindowManager flags. This snippet hides the status bar:

View decorView = getWindow().getDecorView();
// Hide the status bar.
int uiOptions = View.SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_FULLSCREEN;
decorView.setSystemUiVisibility(uiOptions);
// Remember that you should never show the action bar if the
// status bar is hidden, so hide that too if necessary.
ActionBar actionBar = getActionBar();
actionBar.hide();

Note the following:

• Once UI flags have been cleared (for example, by navigating away from the activity), your app needs to reset them if you want to hide the bars again. See Responding to UI Visibility Changes for a discussion of how to listen for UI visibility changes so that your app can respond accordingly.
  • Where you set the UI flags makes a difference. If you hide the system bars in your activity's onCreate() method and the user presses Home, the system bars will reappear. When the user reopens the activity, onCreate() won't get called, so the system bars will remain visible. If you want system UI changes to persist as the user navigates in and out of your activity, set UI flags in onResume() or onWindowFocusChanged().
  • The method setSystemUiVisibility() only has an effect if the view you call it from is visible.
  • Navigating away from the view causes flags set with setSystemUiVisibility() to be cleared.

I'm no advanced techie to understand all of this so here's to hoping truly an app or something can be found that doesn't require risky root and I can easily have this annoyance solved.

yo.

• 40,556 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 01:32 AM

Damn it! I'm looking everywhere and it seems sadly impossible to find any way of doing this without root. I've found several apps that do what I want, but all require root, smh.

yo.

#10 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 921 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 20, 2013 - 06:08 AM

Buzz Launcher allows you to do it I believe.

#11 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,553 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted December 20, 2013 - 08:30 AM

which phone do you got cano?
you can root it and that would not void your warranty, you void your warranty by unlocking the bootloader

Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

• 40,556 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 01:21 PM

^ Not a phone. It's a relatively cheap 10.1 tablet. Got it for $150 (sale). Hannspree:

http://www.amazon.co...annspree tablet

http://www.hannspree...s=113&viewAll=0

I was able to find a few message boards where people were trying to root it and successfully did, but as of now, haven't been able to find anyone who's been able to do a recovery. I've never even tried rooting anything before so it'd be the first time for me. I'd have to follow the steps extremely closely especially since it's a bit intimidating, but even then, all in all, the main thing I would want it for is for this function and I'm not sure it's worth going through all the hassle just for that.

However though, the device itself has pretty decent specs, but people who have rooted it (like most devices), say that you really get the most out of those specs and the device once it's rooted. You can remove a lot of the bloat & lag and I can't lie & say I wouldn't want that, but again, the process seems pretty complex & complicated. Even more than that though, my device is said to supposedly supposed to get an OTA update to 4.2 from its current 4.1 by the end of this year so pretty soon I would think. If that's the case, then everything would have to go back to default in a way, at least temporarily, so either way, perhaps it's better I just wait for that & see what happens.

yo.

#13 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,553 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted December 20, 2013 - 01:35 PM

You could wait for the OTA update.
Rooting isnt a big deal
There isn't a lot of harm
But trying to install recoverys and other rom thats the tricky part if you do something wrong.
Don't worry once you root your baby you will not look back
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users